Terrell Buckley - XFL Head Coach

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Sorry if Germans, but I just saw this. Looks like the XFL has hired Terrell Buckley as the head coach of its Orlando franchise. Congrats to T-Buck!

Full coaching list:
Wade Phillips
Jim Haslett
Bob Stoops
Terrell Buckley
Hines Ward
Rod Woodson
Reggie Barlow
Anthony Becht

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
How many times are they gonna try this failed endeavor? My first question is what are they doing differently than in the past?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Well... there wasn't sex and wrestling during the 2020 reboot. It actually had decent ratings and decent attendance until Covid hit.

One of the initial things I see that they're doing differently is partnering with the NFL.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
One of the initial things I see that they're doing differently is partnering with the NFL.
What does that mean? Farm system? Because if true, they should allow players to go pro earlier out of college, which would take care of some of the money and parity issues in college. Are they tied to current NFL teams? Don't appear to be. That's the only way to create tribalism, and if you don't have that, the league will fail.

Fans are everything, and fans want to root for a team that goes beyond a uniform. Nobody wants to watch new schemes or weird WWE type cartoony crap.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
What does that mean? Farm system? Because if true, they should allow players to go pro earlier out of college, which would take care of some of the money and parity issues in college. Are they tied to current NFL teams? Don't appear to be. That's the only way to create tribalism, and if you don't have that, the league will fail.

Fans are everything, and fans want to root for a team that goes beyond a uniform. Nobody wants to watch new schemes or weird WWE type cartoony crap.

I don't think it would do this at all. The haves would out pay the farm team to keep the players. The have not's are more likely to lose the players that are good enough to go.

This is all assuming that the farm teams have better strength/conditioning, overall prep for NFL than colleges.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don't think it would do this at all. The haves would out pay the farm team to keep the players. The have not's are more likely to lose the players that are good enough to go.

This is all assuming that the farm teams have better strength/conditioning, overall prep for NFL than colleges.
Yeah probably so, was more thinking along the lines of the previous system. In baseball you see Vandy and others being able to do that now, albeit with scholarships rather than NIL.

At the end of the day, I don't think a farm system works in NFL. You only have so much wear and tear on your body, unlike baseball. Any secondary league to the NFL will just be the guys who simply could not make it. And I really don't think a league like that can ever amass enough fans to last, unless they get REALLY innovative with the marketing. Seems like they'd need to either be in NFL cities and play off the main team closely, or be in smaller cities and create some rivalries similar to what the Sun Belt has done (jury is still out on whether that works). Neither of those really appeal to me at the pro level, maybe they do to other people.

Only reason pro sports works is because you have city/regional rivalries and the best players in the world. Take away either one and it falters. Obviously they lose the latter, so they'd REALLY have to play up the former, and create like 'state' teams or something, maybe based on population. Maybe make a certain population be the max, so say it's 25M. Florida can have one team, maybe Georgia/South Carolina/Alabama have one. I don't know, just brain storming. And they play in different stadiums throughout the area.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I don't think it will ever work. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Having it year round will kill the true demand.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login