Test

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Prove that the Least Upper Bound Property of the real number system R implies that R is complete. In other words, prove that in R every Cauchy sequence converges. (For the layman: with this result you can assume that there are no “holes” in R; the real numbers make up a solid line.)

• Wow
Reactions: BobPSU92

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Prove that the Least Upper Bound Property of the real number system R implies that R is complete. In other words, prove that in R every Cauchy sequence converges. (For the layman: with this result you can assume that there are no “holes” in R; the real numbers make up a solid line.)
The question is, "What is something that has never been discussed in my mother's kitchen?"

... I'll take potpourri for $200, Alex.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
I looked up Cauchy sequences and this lead me to a way to calculate square roots. I always wondered how this was done. Thanks for that. (I'm still not in my mother's kitchen.) 😉

• Love
Reactions: LionJim

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Aren’t you supposed to be drinking German beer and brandy about now? :sneaky:

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I looked up Cauchy sequences and this lead me to a way to calculate square roots. I always wondered how this was done. Thanks for that. (I'm still not in my mother's kitchen.) 😉

If the door to your mother’s kitchen is closed, we can assume that you are both in the kitchen and outside the kitchen.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
What about the greatest lower bound?

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
What about the greatest lower bound?
Easy peasy. To show that the greatest lower bound of a non-empty set A always exists, define B to be the set of all members of A times -1. (If 5 is in A, then -5 is in B. If -8 is in A, then 8 is in B.) Find the least upper bound of B, say it is x. Then -x is the greatest lower bound of the original set A.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
Easy peasy. To show that the greatest lower bound of a non-empty set A always exists, define B to be the set of all members of A times -1. (If 5 is in A, then -5 is in B. If -8 is in A, then 8 is in B.) Find the least upper bound of B, say it is x. Then -x is the greatest lower bound of the original set A.
Both your posts in this thread gave me a headache, and reminded me of why the highest level of math I taught was 6th grade.
😁

Reactions: LionJim

Latest posts