Texaco gas station in Jackson murdering people

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
"Councilman Kenneth Stokes was joined by many in the community for a protest on Sunday against the Texaco gas station on Medgar Evers Boulevard after the recent homicides and crime in the area.

"He says he will be bringing up a vote of no confidence against the city’s legal department and director for not declaring the gas station a nuisance and shutting it down before now."

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Stokes lost his no confidence vote 4-2. The other councilman who voted for the no confidence vote then proceeded to make a vaguely racist insinuation that the city attorney (who is white) was racist because he didn't basically file a nuisance declaration which would have allowed the city to shut it down.

The statement from the councilman was so bad that even Lumumba came to the defense of the city attorney.

“When someone, who is defending the city on several matters of litigation, protecting us each and every day, someone who may just be overworked is now being accused of, let’s call it what it is, being racist because he doesn’t live in a community,” said Lumumba.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
"Councilman Kenneth Stokes was joined by many in the community for a protest on Sunday against the Texaco gas station on Medgar Evers Boulevard after the recent homicides and crime in the area.

"He says he will be bringing up a vote of no confidence against the city’s legal department and director for not declaring the gas station a nuisance and shutting it down before now."

First, I can’t remember the last time I saw a Texaco station. Second, typical - blame the folks trying to make a living selling gasoline and beer. If it wasn’t for them, these gun wielding knuckleheads would have just gone to a Bible study or be at home studying for the ACT. Third, as crazy as it sounds Stokes has actually been a voice of reason for the City lately. That should give you an idea of where Jackson is and where it’s heading.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Somebody needs to call a spade a spade. It's sad we don't blame the people for their actions. Bad old gas stations killing people. Russia looking more American than America

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
First, I can’t remember the last time I saw a Texaco station. Second, typical - blame the folks trying to make a living selling gasoline and beer. If it wasn’t for them, these gun wielding knuckleheads would have just gone to a Bible study or be at home studying for the ACT. Third, as crazy as it sounds Stokes has actually been a voice of reason for the City lately. That should give you an idea of where Jackson is and where it’s heading.
Jackson has already gotten to where it was headed

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
volcano GIF

The only hope for Jackson

Reactions: preacher_dawg

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
End result they wont have gas stations to fuel their vehicles and will claim they are being treated unfairly . Why not call out the lawless behavior ?

Here's the unspoken question...who is the owner, and do they fit with the neighborhood?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I can't figure out from the article what the gas station is doing illegally to make it so murderous. I certainly don't blame murderers, it's the gas station, but the article isn't clear on what the gas station is doing wrong or whether there might be some appropriate interventions to make it less criminally-minded.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Somebody needs to call a spade a spade. It's sad we don't blame the people for their actions. Bad old gas stations killing people. Russia looking more American than America
Speaking of Russia, If you're a U.S. citizen there I recommend leaving immediately unless you think being imprisoned by Putin for a few years until he can exchange you for some spy or war criminal is a goal of yours.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I can't figure out from the article what the gas station is doing illegally to make it so murderous. I certainly don't blame murderers, it's the gas station, but the article isn't clear on what the gas station is doing wrong or whether there might be some appropriate interventions to make it less criminally-minded.
I would imagine letting people hang out and drink like it's a bar.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I would imagine letting people hang out and drink like it's a bar.
So where are the bars that are murderous and criminally-minded that need to be shut down as well. If you're a business and people hang out there clearly you're inciting murder and that business needs to be held responsible. Maybe selling alcohol is the issue. It's really the business and not the people causing problems. We shouldn't expect people to be law-abiding around such a criminal enterprise.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
So what's your remediation for the business? Stop selling liquor to some people and don't let them loiter because, after all, it's Jackson, so it's obvious that shootings and murders will happen??? I'll never buy a beer or two from a gas station and hang out and drink it there because I'm likely to shoot or murder someone. People simply don't have agency around those types of businesses.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Here's the unspoken question...who is the owner, and do they fit with the neighborhood?
This is my bet also. Lots of dislike for certain business owners in downtrodden communities. I think certain racists feel like somehow the alternative to them investing in the community is a business owner that looks like them rather than more likely just not having as much investment in the community. No clue who owns that gas station, but I suspect if the owner looked more like Stokes he would be less hot and heavy about having it shut down. Of course it's also possible the owner just turned down a request for a political donation. And I guess it's also possible certain city council members are genuinely stupid enough to think that if there is crime in the area that it's the business's job to police it rather than the cities.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
So where are the bars that are murderous and criminally-minded that need to be shut down as well. If you're a business and people hang out there clearly you're inciting murder and that business needs to be held responsible. Maybe selling alcohol is the issue. It's really the business and not the people causing problems. We shouldn't expect people to be law-abiding around such a criminal enterprise.
Bars have regulations aimed at those problems. Gas stations don't. That could be the issue. Either a bar or a gas station can become a nuisance to the neighborhood, even despite reasonable efforts by the business owner, which could lead to justifiable action by the local government. Buying a piece of land doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want ya know.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022

i'm wholeheartedly convinced that Jackson needs something similar to the Doom of Valeria.

• Haha
Reactions: Studentdawg06

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
So what's your remediation for the business? Stop selling liquor to some people and don't let them loiter because, after all, it's Jackson, so it's obvious that shootings and murders will happen??? I'll never buy a beer or two from a gas station and hang out and drink it there because I'm likely to shoot or murder someone. People simply don't have agency around those types of businesses.
What do I expect of the business/owner? Follow all laws and regulations. If he can't, he should be shut down. If he does and there's still a problem, it's the govts job to adjust the laws and regulations.

What do I expect of government? Reasonable regulation. Maybe tighten the law around sale hours, location. Etc. The govt also has their own services to provide, including law enforcement.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
What do I expect of the business/owner? Follow all laws and regulations. If he can't, he should be shut down. If he does and there's still a problem, it's the govts job to adjust the laws and regulations.

What do I expect of government? Reasonable regulation. Maybe tighten the law around sale hours, location. Etc. The govt also has their own services to provide, including law enforcement.
You changed your argument from this: "I would imagine letting people hang out and drink like it's a bar."

There's a supermarket near my house where I shop. It has an eating area and sells beer. You can eat and sit and you have a couple of options from the keg. No murders so far. Should I expect it to become murderous? People are hanging out and drinking there.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You changed your argument from this: "I would imagine letting people hang out and drink like it's a bar."
I did not change my argument.
There's a supermarket near my house where I shop. It has an eating area and sells beer. You can eat and sit and you have a couple of options from the keg. No murders so far. Should I expect it to become murderous? People are hanging out and drinking there.
Ok. What works for some places doesn't work for others.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I did not change my argument.

Ok. What works for some places doesn't work for others.
Why not? Why doesn't it work for some place, really for a tiny number of places, when it's fine for almost every other place? I agree that you believe you didn't change your argument.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

If there were any brains involved, the station would be shut down because of no business. Who keeps going there? We don't have a shortage of gas stations in the area...

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I took a drive up MEB (how great is Google street view?) just to see where this place was and what it looked like. Out a good bit from DT and actually a nice looking store that appears might sell some groceries as well. Not what I was expecting and hard to tell what's going on.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Why not? Why doesn't it work for some place, really for a tiny number of places, when it's fine for almost every other place? I agree that you believe you didn't change your argument.
No. I don't "believe" I didn't change my argument. I literally did not change it. Are you about to get your period, or are you just naturally a prick?

Why did The Dock get shut down in Ridgeland? Why can that govt shut down a drunken hangout spot, but not Jackson?

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
No. I don't "believe" I didn't change my argument. I literally did not change it. Are you about to get your period, or are you just naturally a prick?

Why did The Dock get shut down in Ridgeland? Why can that govt shut down a drunken hangout spot, but not Jackson?
The Dock's lease was not renewed by PRV because a new development had been planned, Harbor Walk (still waiting for them to dig the first shovel of dirt). The situation with the gas station and something that has been closed for 20 17ing years is not even in the same galaxy. Quit trying to be the resident know-it-all on things it's apparent you don't have a 17ing clue about.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
The Dock's lease was not renewed by PRV because a new development had been planned, Harbor Walk (still waiting for them to dig the first shovel of dirt). The situation with the gas station and something that has been closed for 20 17ing years is not even in the same galaxy. Quit trying to be the resident know-it-all on things it's apparent you don't have a 17ing clue about.
Sorry if I'm wrong, but I remember there always being issues with drunk drivers coming from the Dock and folks trying to shut it down. If you're saying a profitable lease wasn't renewed so they could have no income on it for 20 years is unrelated....ok.

I haven't lived there in 20 ish years so forgive me if I bring up 20 years old stuff.

I'm not the one being a know it all. I've not even taken a position. I've pointed out possibilities and immediately been told no it HAS to be.....something. they aren't saying but we all know what they mean.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login