Texas and OU to the SEC in July 2024

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Official now.

Ross speculates State will have as their 3 permanent opponents Ole Miss, Kentucky, A & M. However, a lot of media think the thrilling State-Bama annual rivalry will survive the expanded schedule. I can’t imagine ESPN and the SEC wants to eat up an extra spot on the programming schedule every two years with that game.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Ross' 3 game picks

• Alabama: Auburn; Tennessee; LSU
  • Arkansas: Missouri; Texas; Kentucky
  • Auburn: Alabama; Georgia; South Carolina
  • Florida: Georgia; South Carolina; Oklahoma
  • Georgia: Auburn; Florida; Kentucky
  • Kentucky: Mississippi State; Arkansas; Georgia
  • LSU: Ole Miss; Texas A&M; Alabama
  • Mississippi State: Ole Miss; Kentucky; Texas A&M
  • Missouri: Oklahoma; Arkansas; Vanderbilt
  • Oklahoma: Texas; Missouri; Florida
  • Ole Miss: Mississippi State; LSU; Vanderbilt
  • South Carolina: Florida; Auburn; Tennessee
  • Tennessee: Vanderbilt; Alabama; South Carolina
  • Texas: Oklahoma; Texas A&M; Arkansas
  • Texas A&M: LSU; Texas; Mississippi State
  • Vanderbilt: Tennessee; Ole Miss; Missouri

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Our record vs. Ole Miss, Kentucky, and A&M since the 2012 expansion is 18-15 (0.545). By comparison, that is the same record LSU has vs. Ole Miss, A&M, and Alabama over that span.

Reactions: drumrcraig

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
i sure hope the 17 not. that sounds like bama lobbying for their permanent Vandy opponent (us)
The good thing for us is that I don't think anybody sees us and Bama as a rivalry anymore. Maybe some Bama fans that were still around for the 90's still view us as something of a rival, but probably not much of one. As funny as it is to see Ole Miss fans think of LSU v. Ole Miss as a meaningful rivalry, it's more of a rivalry than us and Bama at this point.

We will only end up with Bama as a permanent if (i) we just happen to be the team that is used to balance out their schedule and/or (ii) the SEC puts some emphasis on distance between campuses because they're worried about attendance.

I think it's pretty likely Bama ends up with UT and Auburn or Auburn and LSU. If that's the case, they have a good argument that they should get Vandy as their third permanent. If not them, if I'm Bama, I think I want Mizzou, UK, Arkansas, and then State. But I think it will end up being Arkansas or State though so they don't end up with two "east" permanents. Hopefully Bama will be pushing hard for somebody else although based on our performance the last decade, they may view us as the next best thing to Vandy.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Ross' 3 game picks

If TV rules the day, I think those are good guesses. But I can't imagine Bama getting stuck with Auburn, UT, and LSU as permanents. I think it's going to be Auburn and one of the other two.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
We've never really been a rivalry game for Alabama.
The bands have had more of a rivalry.

Wikipedia says:

"Famous" name[edit]

The name "Famous Maroon Band" was coined in the 1930s after an incident that led to the 40 members of the band being called the "Famous Forty". At the time of an A&M vs. Alabama football game, the bands participated in a band contest with the winner taking home a trophy. Unbeknownst to the Alabama band, the A&M band had brand new non-military themed uniforms and after the A&M band performed first to thunderous applause the Alabama band refused to play. The band still has the trophy on display in the band room and the forty members of the band were thenceforth nicknamed the "Famous Forty". Later on in the 1930s a sportswriter referred to the band as the "Famous Maroon Band" and the name stuck.[2]

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I would take that. Texas A&M has potential to be elite, but they have also demonstrated they can squander resources. They remind me of LSU pre-Saban.

The important thing is dodging Alabama and Georgia as a permanent opponent.
They have had that potential for 100 years.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
Ross' 3 game picks

If this turns out to be true, LSU has been trying to get rid of Florida for years.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We've never really been a rivalry game for Alabama.
That is true. But in the late 90's I think we were closer to what say we and UK are over the past 15 years than we are now. It was at least a game Bama thought about. And when we thought about it, it was in terms of chances of winning, not just counting it as a loss. I guess that's just a conference game that matters.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I still think ESPN will still do some "arm twisting" to get the SEC to come up with a championship game. Don't have a clue how that could come about but I know money talks.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Official now.

Ross speculates State will have as their 3 permanent opponents Ole Miss, Kentucky, A & M. However, a lot of media think the thrilling State-Bama annual rivalry will survive the expanded schedule. I can’t imagine ESPN and the SEC wants to eat up an extra spot on the programming schedule every two years with that game.

3 permanents is terrible.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Of course Alabama is a rival. Who else competes for faculty seats like Alabama sidewalk fans. If we don’t play Bama every other year at home the faculty will starve!

Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

patdog

May 28, 2007
I still think ESPN will still do some "arm twisting" to get the SEC to come up with a championship game. Don't have a clue how that could come about but I know money talks.
Huh? Not having an SEC championship game has never been on the table. The top 2 finishers will play in the championship game.

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Huh? Not having an SEC championship game has never been on the table. The top 2 finishers will play in the championship game.
I hope not. They aren't really needed. The expanded playoff more than makes up for that weekend, and in that vein, conference championship games are a detriment. More injuries, more wear and tear. I'd rather see 3-4 SEC teams in the playoff and furthering THAT, it just makes conference title game more meaningless.

I mean look how irrelevant the conference tournaments are in basketball/baseball. I say just award it on record. If you have two champs, so be it. Spread the wealth. Keep hope alive.

Conference championship weekend is just a relic of an era gone by. It was great during the BCS era, when all the conferences were somewhat balanced. The 4-teamer was the transition period. Time to move forward.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I hope not. They aren't really needed. The expanded playoff more than makes up for that weekend, and in that vein, conference championship games are a detriment. More injuries, more wear and tear. I'd rather see 3-4 SEC teams in the playoff and furthering THAT, it just makes conference title game more meaningless.

I mean look how irrelevant the conference tournaments are in basketball/baseball. I say just award it on record. If you have two champs, so be it. Spread the wealth. Keep hope alive.

Conference championship weekend is just a relic of an era gone by. It was great during the BCS era, when all the conferences were somewhat balanced. The 4-teamer was the transition period. Time to move forward.
I'd argue with 16 teams, they're more needed than ever. How do you decide a champion if 2 teams are both 9-0. Or both 8-1 and haven't played each other. Whether they're needed or not doesn't really matter though. The SECCG makes a sh**-ton of money for the SEC and it's not going away.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I would take that. Texas A&M has potential to be elite, but they have also demonstrated they can squander resources. They remind me of LSU pre-Saban.

The important thing is dodging Alabama and Georgia as a permanent opponent.
And LSU

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd argue with 16 teams, they're more needed than ever. How do you decide a champion if 2 teams are both 9-0. Or both 8-1 and haven't played each other. Whether they're needed or not doesn't really matter though. The SECCG makes a sh**-ton of money for the SEC and it's not going away.
You do exactly like I said, award it to two (or more) teams. Keeps fanbases engaged, and that's what this is about. Happens in basketball and baseball all the time. And nobody cares who wins the tournaments (which are the equivalent of the SEC football title game).

And I'd argue that more SEC teams in the playoff will make much more money. And we're now at 16 games, that's for a team that gets a top 4 seed in the expanded playoff.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You do exactly like I said, award it to two (or more) teams. Keeps fanbases engaged, and that's what this is about. Happens in basketball and baseball all the time. And nobody cares who wins the tournaments (which are the equivalent of the SEC football title game).

And I'd argue that more SEC teams in the playoff will make much more money. And we're now at 16 games, that's for a team that gets a top 4 seed in the expanded playoff.
It’s going to be in the stipulations that conference champions get a spot. That’s how this whole ball got rolling in the first place to expand.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Thank You All as SPS gets me updated on schit so much faster than otherwise. Keeps me from wasting time jumping and jackas$ing around.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s going to be in the stipulations that conference champions get a spot. That’s how this whole ball got rolling in the first place to expand.
Oh I know. I just don't like it. I get that they had to talk all the other conferences into it.

They do that in the other tournaments in other sports, so it is what it is. That's really the only relevance of conference tournaments. I just wish they'd do it with regular season champions instead. We'd get better teams in.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

The SECCG brings in the most viewers of any conference championship game, even in a down year like this past year, and have traditionally drawn more viewers than any bowl game outside the CFP semifinals and championship. ESPN is not just going to give that away so we can get Tennessee vs the AAC champion in a first round playoff game.

Also, I think it's hard to say conference tournament championships are irrelevant in basketball and baseball since the winner (in most conferences) is awarded a trip to the NCAA tournament.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The SECCG brings in the most viewers of any conference championship game, even in a down year like this past year, and have traditionally drawn more viewers than any bowl game outside the CFP semifinals and championship. ESPN is not just going to give that away so we can get Tennessee vs the AAC champion in a first round playoff game.

Also, I think it's hard to say conference tournament championships are irrelevant in basketball and baseball since the winner (in most conferences) is awarded a trip to the NCAA tournament.
I'd much rather watch the real playoff vs. an SEC championship. Just like I'd rather watch the first round of the NCAA tournament vs. the SEC conference tournament championship - ALL DAY. I think after 5-10 years of it (if they stick with this model that has teams playing up to 16-17 games) they will realize that the money that could be generated from another round of the real playoff would dwarf conference championships. Then we'll get a 24 teamer with the first round replacing championship weekend, which is more in line with the percentages (of tournament teams vs. all teams) of basketball and baseball.

Or maybe they won't. It could be all me. OR - they could just add another round anyway and keep the championships. Now they are at 17-18 games. Eek.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I might be old- pre-90's old in fact, but that ain't the reason we need the Bama rivalry.
Sure, it has been one-sided - forever. But if you are going to be the man, you got to beat the man--- and his money.
We need the opportunity to carve out our space. They really are in our backyard when it comes to recruiting. Are any other two SEC schools closer than State and Bama?
Arnett or somebody is going to come along for us and find a way to consistently beat Bama. Hopefully, before I die. It will glorious.
While I may not hate them more than I do OM, I sure want to beat them more than I do OM. And that's the cold hard truth.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login