Texas has fired David Pierce.....

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I guess the rumors are probably true then. Vitello to TX later this week, win or lose tonight.
Has there ever been a Big 3 coach who won a national title and was poached to coach elsewhere the very next year?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
They are going big game hunting. This move has everything to do with moving to the SEC.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Has there ever been a Big 3 coach who won a national title and was poached to coach elsewhere the very next year?
That is exactly what could screw this thing up for Texas. And no, I don't remember it ever happening, at least college. Harbaugh went to the pros, but that's different.

I know Michigan wanted Les Miles badly in 2007 but he stuck around due to playing in the title game and winning. Same situation here. Texas brass is probably pulling for aTm tonight.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Gotta be Lemonis**
He might be able to get the metric players he so desperately wants out there. Not really kidding. I mean most people outside our own see him as a national title caliber coach who now has the program 'back' after 2024. Not to mention Texas' last memory of him was Omaha 2021.

Is this too awesome to actually happen?

patdog

May 28, 2007
That is exactly what could screw this thing up for Texas. And no, I don't remember it ever happening, at least college. Harbaugh went to the pros, but that's different.

I know Michigan wanted Les Miles badly in 2007 but he stuck around due to playing in the title game and winning. Same situation here. Texas brass is probably pulling for aTm tonight.
If rumors are to be believed, and if they really can't pull a national championship coach, tonight's loser's consolation prize may be the Texas job. I don't think they fired their coach to not make a big time hire.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
If rumors are to be believed, and if they really can't pull a national championship coach, tonight's loser's consolation prize may be the Texas job. I don't think they fired their coach to not make a big time hire.
Don’t think either leaves. Pierce just isn’t gonna cut it in the sec and the powers that be at Texas know this.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Schloss is not leaving aTm to go to Texas. Especially when he now has a program worthy of winning a title, and aTm has as much money if not more.
I've seen Jay Johnson too, el oh el. Not happening either.

It's Vitello or back to the drawing board. Me personally, if he says no, I'd get Dan McDonnell. Elite coach that is ready for a change of scenery and isn't too old.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Schloss is not leaving aTm to go to Texas. Especially when he now has a program worthy of winning a title, and aTm has as much money if not more.

It's Vitello or back to the drawing board. Me personally, if he says no, I'd get Dan McDonnell. Elite coach that is ready for a change of scenery and isn't too old.
I think it's Vitello and the deal was done weeks ago. McDonnell would be a big nope for them. Biggest criticism of him is the same as the one that got Pierce fired. Not being aggressive enough in portal recruiting.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Agree schloss isn’t leaving.

but I can’t see how vitello isnt happy at Tennessee. Don’t think he wants the Texas headache. Will just use the rumors to get more of what he wants at Tennessee

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I think tonight's loser is the more likely candidate. I just don't see Vitello or Schloss leaving after winning a title. Of course, they could both say No.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
....and texas didn't even wait to see if he drops to the bottom of the sec 2 years in a row. Standards.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
If either team loses the game tonight and loses their coach in the following days to a peer SEC school… woof. Talk about a gut punch.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
He might be able to get the metric players he so desperately wants out there. Not really kidding. I mean most people outside our own see him as a national title caliber coach who now has the program 'back' after 2024. Not to mention Texas' last memory of him was Omaha 2021.

Is this too awesome to actually happen?
Any State fan acting as if that would be a good thing is delusional.

Who would you hire?

And before you say Andy Cannizaro, the entire college baseball world hasn't been able to pry him away from the Louisiana high school baseball ranks over the last six years, which is weird because he is basically responsible for a national title.**** Instead of hiring Andy, an SEC program just hired a guy who is older than Polk was when he retired for a second time in 2008.

Reactions: RockyDog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Better for him to be at Texas than at Tennessee, at least as far as MSU is concerned. We will recruit against them less, and Texas is well ahead of us as far as baseball program status and history. We don't want Tennessee to catch up.
I know what you're saying, but him being at UTw with unlimited supply of players and cash, in a easier recruiting environment in Austin, and in a program that actually cares about baseball... that we still have to play every year... doesn't seem that fun to me.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Who would you hire?

And before you say Andy Cannizaro, the entire college baseball world hasn't been able to pry him away from the Louisiana high school baseball ranks over the last six years, which is weird because he is basically responsible for a national title.**** Instead of hiring Andy, an SEC program just hired a guy who is older than Polk was when he retired for a second time in 2008.
The whole who would you hire is a cop out. You never really know who is and isn’t available or interested until the job is open.

certainly isn’t unreasonable to think you could find better than Lemonis. Of course you could find a dud too, but at this point I think it’s clear Lemonis is closer to being average than elite.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
say Andy Cannizaro, the entire college baseball world hasn't been able to pry him away from the Louisiana high school baseball ranks over the last six years,

Andy is either biding his time for a Vegas redo, or a moment to get back with sweetcakes wherever she is now.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I thinks it's Vitello if they are moving on. Needs to be a hot big name coach with recruiting nil and making Omaha regularly. They been passed up by TAMU with schloss. Can't let that happen. Maybe only other name maybe nc state coach

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Hope it really is Vitello.

Texas could be great under any number of coaches.

Tennessee is done the moment he leaves.

Reactions: eckie1

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Wonder if they are interested in a Boston-born 80-year-old who likes typewriters?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The whole who would you hire is a cop out. You never really know who is and isn’t available or interested until the job is open.

certainly isn’t unreasonable to think you could find better than Lemonis. Of course you could find a dud too, but at this point I think it’s clear Lemonis is closer to being average than elite.
That is ridiculous, lol. Of course, you consider who you could hire. You have to consider if the next guy can win more than the current guy.

It's amazing that some State fans can watch South Carolina hire Paul Mainieri and not be phased in their thinking that State could easily hire a coach better than Lemonis.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Who would you hire?

First swing is obviously Nick Mingione. I used to say swing for Vitello but it's clear Texas is the only job he really wants.

After that, me personally, I'm hiring Lane Burroughs. I want to get back to that style of baseball. He knows the types of kids, and geographical areas, that MSU needs to recruit. And now that he knows all about Louisiana, he'll probably stay the hell away from there because Lord knows we never get any production out of that state. And then start bringing in some of our ex-players that are now good assistants, like Coggin, Ammo and Fitts.

Some may say Butch Thompson. I think he's too nice. We need another bastard. Mingione and Burroughs fit that mold. I mean Mingione was tripping guys at the Florida super 13 years ago, and now he's reciting Christian music at CWS press conferences. We need that kind of crazy. And Lane Train Burroughs is just a tough SOB.

17thebears

Dec 6, 2010

Who would you hire?

Andy is currently coaching 9U travel ball... seriously Mandeville 9U

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

patdog

May 28, 2007
First swing is obviously Nick Mingione. I used to say swing for Vitello but it's clear Texas is the only job he really wants.

After that, me personally, I'm hiring Lane Burroughs. I want to get back to that style of baseball. He knows the types of kids, and geographical areas, that MSU needs to recruit. And now that he knows all about Louisiana, he'll probably stay the hell away from there because Lord knows we never get any production out of that state. And then start bringing in some of our ex-players that are now good assistants, like Coggin, Ammo and Fitts.

Some may say Butch Thompson. I think he's too nice. We need another bastard. Mingione and Burroughs fit that mold. I mean Mingione was tripping guys at the Florida super 13 years ago, and now he's reciting Christian music at CWS press conferences. We need that kind of crazy. And Lane Train Burroughs is just a tough SOB.
Agree on all 3. And there are other coaches out there who would be interested in the job. The whole "who could we hire better" argument is ridiculous. Of course we can make a quality baseball hire if/when we ever pull the trigger.

Reactions: 17itdawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I don’t think either are leaving. Texas has a lot of hubris and maybe this will be their first introduction into the world of the SEC. Not everyone is infatuated with you Tsips. I’d be surprised if they got an SEC coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
And before you say Andy Cannizaro, the entire college baseball world hasn't been able to pry him away from the Louisiana high school baseball ranks over the last six years, which is weird because he is basically responsible for a national title.
He's been available and not coaching for the past 2 years, fired in April '22 and I haven't seen anywhere that he's been picked back up by anyone. He was only their coach for 4 seasons w/ a 64-54 record there so nothing there screams "HIRE HIM"

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

1. Mingione: Not a sure thing he would leave Kentucky. He did nothing for four years, and they gave him time. He also just made the CWS, so it's not as if he can't win there. But even if we assume he would leave Kentucky for State (big assumption), there is no guarantee he would win more than Lemonis. Look at Kentucky's roster this year. They are one of the oldest teams in the country. Let's see if he can follow it up with a similar season next year.
  2. Burroughs: Probably the most likely to leave their current job. Would he win more than Lemonis? In seven seasons, he's won three regional games and has never made a Super. You would just be gambling that he could win more.
  3. Thompson: Again, no guarantee he would leave an SEC job for State. Two trips to Omaha in eight seasons. Good, but no guarantee he would do more than Lemonis.
You would just be making a massive and unnecessary gamble.

Reactions: 17itdawg

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
That can't be the same Andy Cannizaro. Everyone in the college baseball world knows he is responsible for two trips to Omaha and a national title.
Yes, but he is chasing moms too, so that's a good spot....or so I heard

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
  1. Mingione: Not a sure thing he would leave Kentucky. He did nothing for four years, and they gave him time. He also just made the CWS, so it's not as if he can't win there. But even if we assume he would leave Kentucky for State (big assumption), there is no guarantee he would win more than Lemonis. Look at Kentucky's roster this year. They are one of the oldest teams in the country. Let's see if he can follow it up with a similar season next year.
  2. Burroughs: Probably the most likely to leave their current job. Would he win more than Lemonis? In seven seasons, he's won three regional games and has never made a Super. You would just be gambling that he could win more.
  3. Thompson: Again, no guarantee he would leave an SEC job for State. Two trips to Omaha in eight seasons. Good, but no guarantee he would do more than Lemonis.
You would just be making a massive and unnecessary gamble.
Burroughs time has come and gone and his resume where he is at doesn’t scream success
butch will retire at auburn

best bet is to take a shot on a college quality up and comkgn assistant. It’s what Tennessee struck gold on.

Reactions: BevinBrown
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login