Texas has fired David Pierce.....

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Andy is currently coaching 9U travel ball... seriously Mandeville 9U
Interesting. He's also coaching hitting and base running.... hmmm...

we could use some of that! Wonder if he could keep it on his pants to be a third base/hitting coach? **

my neighbor is one of the knights nation coaches. I'll have to ask him about Cann.

also saw jay powell on their high school coaches list.

Those groups are so intermingled into recruiting and everything at every level. You dont have much of a shot unless you are tied into one of these groups

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I want a coach that 90% of the SPS (including me) has never even heard of. Somebody who's going to work their a s s off to win.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think tonight's loser is the more likely candidate. I just don't see Vitello or Schloss leaving after winning a title. Of course, they could both say No.
It’s going to be one of them, for sure. And they already know who it is.

You don’t make the move to fire Pierce now if it wasn’t already a done deal. Texas’ season was over weeks ago.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don’t think either or leaving. Texas has a lot of hubris and maybe this will be their first introduction into the world of the SEC. Not everyone is infatuated with you Tsips. I’d be surprised if they got an SEC coach.
Count Me In Lets Go GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
  1. Mingione: Not a sure thing he would leave Kentucky. He did nothing for four years, and they gave him time. He also just made the CWS, so it's not as if he can't win there. But even if we assume he would leave Kentucky for State (big assumption), there is no guarantee he would win more than Lemonis. Look at Kentucky's roster this year. They are one of the oldest teams in the country. Let's see if he can follow it up with a similar season next year.
  2. Burroughs: Probably the most likely to leave their current job. Would he win more than Lemonis? In seven seasons, he's won three regional games and has never made a Super. You would just be gambling that he could win more.
  3. Thompson: Again, no guarantee he would leave an SEC job for State. Two trips to Omaha in eight seasons. Good, but no guarantee he would do more than Lemonis.
You would just be making a massive and unnecessary gamble.
We are talking about if Lemonis left for Texas, not if we fired him. We obviously are not.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It’s going to be one of them, for sure. And they already know who it is.

You don’t make the move to fire Pierce now if it wasn’t already a done deal. Texas’ season was over weeks ago.
Is this the same as your host predictions?

For sure you say….

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Watching the Aggies go to the CWS finals, and possibly winning tonight has stung deep and made the tea sour in Austin.

1) If UTenn wins tonight, hire the coach that kept the Aggies from winning the natty.
2) If Aggies win tonight, give the former UTenn coach a bigger salary, guranteed baseball stadium upgrade/remodel, and unlimited NIL to bring in the best 39 players he can

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
lol A&M fans on twitter saying it’s Vitello and it’s a done deal. Tennessee fans on twitter saying it’s Schloss and it’s a done deal.

It’s probably neither but 🍿

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Has there ever been a Big 3 coach who won a national title and was poached to coach elsewhere the very next year?
It's very rare, but Jim Harbaugh took the Los Angeles Chargers job a few weeks after winning a championship with Michigan. Not sure if you're counting college to pros.
Howard Schnellenberger went to the USFL after winning Miami's first championship in 1983, then he almost immediately quit and went to Louisville.
Larry Brown left Kansas for the Spurs.

Then you had guys like Tom Osborne, Al McGuire, and John Wooden that just retired after their last title.

The only one that I know of that left from one D1 college to another is Johnny Majors. He left for Tennessee days after winning a championship with Pittsburgh in 1976.

Reactions: patdog

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
It's very rare, but Jim Harbaugh took the Los Angeles Chargers job a few weeks after winning a championship with Michigan. Not sure if you're counting college to pros.
Howard Schnellenberger went to the USFL after winning Miami's first championship in 1983, then he almost immediately quit and went to Louisville.
Larry Brown left Kansas for the Spurs.

Then you had guys like Tom Osborne, Al McGuire, and John Wooden that just retired after their last title.

The only one that I know of that left from one D1 college to another is Johnny Majors. He left for Tennessee days after winning a championship with Pittsburgh in 1976.
Of those, the only one that would be comparable is Majors to Tennessee: winning a major college national title and being hired away by another school.

I don't know the details of Majors to Tennessee (before my time), but it is obviously a rare occurrence.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Of those, the only one that would be comparable is Majors to Tennessee: winning a major college national title and being hired away by another school.

I don't know the details of Majors to Tennessee (before my time), but it is obviously a rare occurrence.
It was an alma mater situation. He graduated from Tennessee and the job came open and I think Pittsburgh had peaked.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
By all means….lets see the link where I said we were for sure going to host.
There is an entire thread on how bad wrong you were about what you knew for sure the committee would do.

just asking is this like 100 percent for sure on Texas knowing… or like maybe probably 60-70 percent.. since it’s a terd tapley for sure we are talking about here

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There is an entire thread on how bad wrong you were about what you knew for sure the committee would do.

just asking is this like 100 percent for sure on Texas knowing… or like maybe probably 60-70 percent.. since it’s a terd tapley for sure we are talking about here
If there is an entire thread then it should be easy to cite very quickly for you?

I never said we were any better than a coin flip. I continuously acknowledged that based on resume, I thought we stood a better chance than a few other bubble teams. But I never said we were anywhere near a lock. That’s absurd. Not that this is anything new for you, but you’re just making shít up at this point.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
If there is an entire thread then it should be easy to cite very quickly for you?

I never said we were any better than a coin flip. I continuously acknowledged that based on resume, I thought we stood a better chance than a few other bubble teams. But I never said we were anywhere near a lock. That’s absurd. Not that this is anything new for you, but you’re just making shít up at this point.
Never did I say you said it was a lock. But there is an entire thread where you told us what the committee was and wasn’t going to do based on a lot of conjured up Bs that you like to pass off as fact… that was way wrong… you know the west isn’t getting 3 host sites, there was even a post where 3-1 and we are hosting… went 3-1 didn’t host.. but alas…

there was also a post about Hines homers against lefties that was laughably wrong amongst many other things….

just trying to figure out if this same “for sure” and Texas already has the deal done… is of that quality

Last edited:

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Any State fan acting as if that would be a good thing is delusional.

Who would you hire?

And before you say Andy Cannizaro, the entire college baseball world hasn't been able to pry him away from the Louisiana high school baseball ranks over the last six years, which is weird because he is basically responsible for a national title.**** Instead of hiring Andy, an SEC program just hired a guy who is older than Polk was when he retired for a second time in 2008.
The only thing Andy is coaching is his sons’ club baseball team.

ETA: Looks like y’all already posted it and I jumped the gun on the reply. I see him every once in a while around town. Gotta suck to be a local legend and have to live in your old hometown where everyone knows you flamed out at such a young age.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
majors was a legendary Tennessee player and even after the national title, Tennessee was a much bigger job.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The only thing Andy is coaching is his sons’ club baseball team.
JJ Reddick just parlayed a job as a volunteer coach for his son’s 4th grade team into the Lakers job. So maybe Cannizzaro has a chance after all.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
just trying to figure out if this same “for sure” and Texas already has the deal done… is of that quality

Nothing was ever presented as “for sure” in that hosting discussion, except that if we finished 4-0 in the final week, we would for sure host. We did not. Therefore, the actual outcome was 50/50.

This one was actually 100%, as you can see now. Thanks for checking in though.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I know what you're saying, but him being at UTw with unlimited supply of players and cash, in a easier recruiting environment in Austin, and in a program that actually cares about baseball... that we still have to play every year... doesn't seem that fun to me.
So, we'll have to learn to lose to Orange & Burnt Orange. I'm down with it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login