Thanksgiving meal ideas

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I’m going to do my normal stuff - smo-fried turkey, sweet potato casserole, few other things.
But I don’t want a damn boring ham. So, I’ve been thinking about doing a pork loin like a rib roast and use a wet rub on it. I’m going to try it on a tenderloin for our faculty meal on Friday. Anyone tried something similar? Any other different ideas to get away from typical thanksgiving food.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
It’s oyster season. I’m doing the normal TG spread, but will have some raw on the half shell and some chargrilled…

You live on the coast - why are you talking about pork loins…**

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I did a rib roast one year... Don't make that mistake. Prime rib is good for one meal, but you don't want anything to do with the leftovers. By day 3 the dog was turning his nose up at it, way too rich.

We do chicken fried steak every year now. Nothing better with all those fixins.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I did a standing rib roast last Christmas. Since it was still COVID season then - we didn’t visit the older parents out of caution so it was just my wife, daughter, son, and me. I only bought a 4-bone roast, but we still had a ton left over.

I put the leftovers in our ninja foodie thing with some beef broth, onions, and carrots and then pressure cooked it until it was pulled pork tender. I made some mashed potatoes separately and then added a can of sweet peas and spread the potatoes on top and used the air fryer lid to brown the top.

Beat cottage pie we’ve ever eaten…

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Half brother's mom made oyster dressing one year. Maybe the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth. And I like oysters.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I did, it was off from being a philly though. I seared and smoked the whole rib roast (cut by the butcher from a certain part of the ribs for prime rib, not ribeyes) at about 200. It made a beautiful, tender prime rib. Tastes nothing like ribeye, it was rich and delicious... On day one. On day 2, it was good on a sandy, but started sitting on the gut even sliced thin. Day 3, it was like eating pure gout.

That was probably 2010 or 2011. I have not eaten prime rib since. I can eat ribeye everyday, 3 meals a day... But something about that prime rib didn't work for me. Lobster would be similar I imagine after a few days.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Jj
It’s oyster season. I’m doing the normal TG spread, but will have some raw on the half shell and some chargrilled…

You live on the coast - why are you talking about pork loins…**

You ever make oyster dressing?

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Well you gotta start off with good dressing, actually the cornbread being great is key, but a well made oyster dressing is damn good!

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Jj

You ever make oyster dressing?

No. Love oysters but am not a fan of them in dressing. My grandma would always make a pan of each. We still use her dressing recipe (super good), but no oysters. I’ll stick to raw, fried, or grilled.

My dad loved it though. He grew up dirt poor in a single parent household. It was a huge treat for him and his 2 brothers when grandma could afford some oysters to add in the dressing.

Last edited:

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
I fry a turkey and a chicken every year. Brine both overnight, then cajun inject.
I also make a corn casserole with County Pleasin Sausage and Crawfish tails.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
INGREDIENTS
1 (8 ounce) box Jiffycornbread mix
1 (15 ounce) can wholekernel corn or mexi-corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) cancreamed corn (notdrained)
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 stick cup melted butter
2 eggs (Can also make it with one)
1/2 cup sweet onions chopped and lightly sauteed
1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped lightly sauteed
2 Jalapenos diced and lightly sauteed
1 link sausage cooked and sliced thin
6-8 oz cooked crawfish tails

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Fishwater is being modest, he didn't include the 1/2 cup of Italian white truffles he puts in his version. But the working man's version looks pretty damn good too. Going to try it myself.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login