That GT loss wasn’t a big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPIPER36

May 19, 2023
Seems like everyone already jumped ship. Mentally weak fanbase. Worst in college basketball

TPIPER36

May 19, 2023
Can’t even show up to a Friday game at the hump, the day after the egg bowl for a 5-0 top 25 team. We straight up get what we deserve.

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
It wasn't a big deal by itself. But a couple more of those Quad 2/Quad 3 losses and it will become a big deal in March.

Need to take care of business the rest of nonconference and hopefully get both of the UNT and Rutgers games, because the January schedule tough.

This team is still really really good, and they obviously weren't going undefeated the entire season. Sometimes you just come out flat. Be a goldfish.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You ain't wrong (about the fanbase).

Heard a guy ask yesterday about how we are going to keep Hubbard from transferring. We can start by showing up to games, even in the OOC. That's what programs like Kentucky do. Like I said yesterday, we have to do more than normal in football and basketball.

People wonder why our baseball program is good? Because fans show up, all the time.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
You ain't wrong (about the fanbase).

Heard a guy ask yesterday about how we are going to keep Hubbard from transferring. We can start by showing up to games, even in the OOC. That's what programs like Kentucky do. Like I said yesterday, we have to do more than normal in football and basketball.

People wonder why our baseball program is good? Because fans show up, all the time.
Our baseball team is the worst team of the big 3 on campus the past two years. I’d be willing to bet it will be the worst going on 3 years too.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Our baseball team is the worst team of the big 3 on campus the past two years. I’d be willing to bet it will be the worst going on 3 years too.
Throughout history, you idiot.

And the reason we are likely going to build back this year, is because our fans show up, even in the bad years. Players want to play for that type of culture and program. They are attracted to it.

I swear some of you are simply incapable of anything other than surface level, 'right-now' tunnel thinking.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
No students, nobody in the lower bowl. I was at that game. It looked pathetic for what a top 25 team should have
I was at that game too. The lower bowl was probably at least half full other than the students. They were on break. That was actually a very good crowd for us for a daytime game during the week, and especially for a holiday. We didn't have better, or worse, for the 96 team under the same circumstances.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We are going to have the worst OOC resume in the country on selection Sunday so a bad loss gets worse.
That's nuts. We have played a couple of pretty good teams and our RPI going into last night was really high.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
That's nuts. We have played a couple of pretty good teams and our RPI going into last night was really high.
Rpi is absolutely meaningless at this point in the year. Who do we think will be a quad 1 OOC win? Will NW or Wazzu finish top 50? We desperately need them too.

But to the extent NET has any meaning we are now 53.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was at that game too. The lower bowl was probably at least half full other than the students. They were on break. That was actually a very good crowd for us for a daytime game during the week, and especially for a holiday. We didn't have better, or worse, for the 96 team under the same circumstances.
The fact that you are using 19 freaking 96 as your benchmark, shows we don't do enough as a fanbase. Over 25 years ago.

Every wonder why we didn't sustain that success?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
A few thoughts

1) Last night was an awful performance in all facets of the game, but it happens. Even the best teams have duds or run into RATs

2) What’s important now is that we don’t let one bad night turn in 2-3 in a row. I trust that Jans won’t let that happen, but it would devastate our chances in March

3) I’m as excited about the Jans era as anyone, and getting into the Top 25 has been a fun ride, but I think that a lot of people need to temper expectations. This team plays hard, and the suffocating defense can be fun to watch, but it’s still a roster that’s essentially made up of one star(maybe?) and a dozen role players. In other words, we’re going to be out-talented on some nights, so we may as well get used to it. Still as good a start to the season as I think anyone could’ve asked for minus Tolu, though

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The fact that you are using 19 freaking 96 as your benchmark, shows we don't do enough as a fanbase. Over 25 years ago.

Every wonder why we didn't sustain that success?
1996 was the best team we have had since we were allowed to go to the NCAAs. I was just pointing out that our attendance then wasn't any better for holiday games. Don't get me started on why hasn't got better. It started with Greg Byrne destroying our base crowd that was there no matter what.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
1996 was the best team we have had since we were allowed to go to the NCAAs. I was just pointing out that our attendance then wasn't any better for holiday games. Don't get me started on why hasn't got better. It started with Greg Byrne destroying our base crowd that was there no matter what.
Exactly. That is why we can't build a championship basketball (or football) program. The rest is just noise. We can blame Byrne or whatever, but folks are more interested in DeEr HuNtIn than going to the games. And that's fine, we just need to tell the truth about it. Just like during football season, folks are more interested in travel ball (and bOw SeAsOn).

It's been this way forever and until a jolt is forced into that, it will continue. If we simply can't get the crowds, then we need to go on the road and play in the cities where we can. Play in Southaven, Tupelo, Biloxi, whatever. I wouldn't mess with Jackson until they get a new arena.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
We don't know what it will do to our NET because we don't know how good GT is, but I don't see this one game having a big impact on our resume in March. It's a true road game in November without our best player. We'll be fine.

Irondawg75

Oct 4, 2023
No students, nobody in the lower bowl. I was at that game. It looked pathetic for what a top 25 team should have
buddy that was a great crowd for a 1 p.m game on a friday the day after thanksgiving. Most people in the upper level in years. wth are you talking about?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Seems like everyone already jumped ship. Mentally weak fanbase. Worst in college basketball
It was a bad loss that will show up on our “bad losses” section of our NCAA resume once we’re approaching March. We have a brutal conference schedule to start with, as well.

Be an internet tough guy all you want, we’re all idiots according to you. But there’s plenty of cause for concern regarding the impact of this loss going forward. Or, maybe that’s just me “jumping ship”.

Reactions: JackShephard

TPIPER36

May 19, 2023
Yes the loss to southern cost us a NCAAT. The loss to GT is not that bad, our fans are still stupid as all hell

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
One loss to a team like that is all they needed to put you in the next 4 out for the rest of the year.

i don’t blame the fans for wanting a clean break from the past. Yet, here we are in year 2 of Jans running the same Howland-era players back out on the court.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
They can still go to games.
They can still be season ticket holders.

they choose not to.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login