That GT loss wasn’t a big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
this fanbase actually deserves losses like this. You get what you put into it.
Our fanbase has never realized that we can't simply do what other big programs do, which is sit back and wait for success to show up. Those programs have enough people that they can get away with that. We can't. If we want to neutralize the gap (mostly in football, but in basketball too), we have to show up first.

And what else is there to do in MS? It's always been amazing to me the excuses we come up with to sit on the damn couch.

Reactions: The Fatboy

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
They can still go to games.
They can still be season ticket holders.

they choose not to.
Actually there eventually came a time when they couldn't. And they were told they weren't wanted in no uncertain terms. Then when the athletic department wanted them back, they didn't come. What a surprise.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Actually there eventually came a time when they couldn't. And they were told they weren't wanted in no uncertain terms. Then when the athletic department wanted them back, they didn't come. What a surprise.
They were all given the choice to renew at a higher cost back in the day.

anyone who says different is lying.

the bdc raised prices to match the times. They reseated as part of that. All they had to do was pony up. Priority would have gotten them their spots or pretty close to the same ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Throughout history, you idiot.

And the reason we are likely going to build back this year, is because our fans show up, even in the bad years. Players want to play for that type of culture and program. They are attracted to it.

I swear some of you are simply incapable of anything other than surface level, 'right-now' tunnel thinking.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
They were all given the choice to renew at a higher cost back in the day.

anyone who says different is lying.

the bdc raised prices to match the times. They reseated as part of that. All they had to do was pony up. Priority would have gotten them their spots or pretty close to the same ones.
Not the same seats, seats that were promised as long as they paid the ticket price. That was not what they were offered when it was done. I know that for a FACT. Now those seats are the ones that everyone complains are empty most games. I watched my old ones, (Ihad better ones), for two years. They were used exactly 4 times. I almost never missed a game for over 20 years. Reseating eventually killed the crowds because it destroyed the base from which we always built back from after lean years. Some of knew what would happen. It didn't matter.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Not the same seats, seats that were promised as long as they paid the ticket price. That was not what they were offered when it was done. I know that for a FACT. Now those seats are the ones that everyone complains are empty most games. I watched my old ones, (Ihad better ones), for two years. They were used exactly 4 times. I almost never missed a game for over 20 years. Reseating eventually killed the crowds because it destroyed the base from which we always built back from after lean years. Some of knew what would happen. It didn't matter.
They were offered the same seats for a higher price.
It’s not Greg Byrnes fault Larry templeton did something dumb.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
They were offered the same seats for a higher price.
It’s not Greg Byrnes fault Larry templeton did something dumb.
No they weren't. I know it for a fact. You are flat out wrong. Bryne l killed our basketball crowd in order to appease big donars who show up for Kentucky and Ole Miss. He made a choice that as far as atmosphere at the Hump goes we have still not recovered from. Maybe it was worth it. I don't think it was as far as basketball goes.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
No they weren't. I know it for a fact. You are flat out wrong. Bryne l killed our basketball crowd in order to appease big donars who show up for Kentucky and Ole Miss. He made a choice that as far as atmosphere at the Hump goes we have still not recovered from. Maybe it was worth it. I don't think it was as far as basketball goes.
I guarantee you those big donors paid more.
If the original people would have paid more they would have gotten seats.

I know people who paid more to get seats. They weren’t specifically called to get those seats. They signed up and were placed in order based on priority which is based on giving.

FACT.

You can literally get on the list now and next year you’ll have options for good seats if you pay the donation required to sit in that area. It’s been that way for years.

Byrne basically sold to the highest bidder. As he should.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I guarantee you those big donors paid more.
If the original people would have paid more they would have gotten seats.

I know people who paid more to get seats. They weren’t specifically called to get those seats. They signed up and were placed in order based on priority which is based on giving.

FACT.

You can literally get on the list now and next year you’ll have options for good seats if you pay the donation required to sit in that area. It’s been that way for years.

Byrne basically sold to the highest bidder. As he should.
They piggy backed of what they were already donating. They were not offered what they were promised when they bought their seats. .

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
They piggy backed of what they were already donating. They were not offered what they were promised when they bought their seats. .
Yes Larry templeton offered something dumb stupid and ludicrous and Byrne fixed that.

Good for Byrne.

The people who had the seats could have kept them if they were willing to pay.

FACT

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Yes Larry templeton offered something dumb stupid and ludicrous and Byrne fixed that.

Good for Byrne.

The people who had the seats could have kept them if they were willing to pay.

FACT

Promises were broken, the crowd still hasn't recovered. People were not offered the option to pay the higher prices and retain their seats. That was the promise that had been made. That people would have understood. That was not one of the options given. That's what made people so mad.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Promises were broken, the crowd still hasn't recovered. People were not offered the option to pay the higher prices and retain their seats. That was the promise that had been made. That people would have understood. That was not one of the options given. That's what made people so mad.
Byrne didn’t make any promises.

Larry Templeton did and they were bad for msu.

Good for Byrne for correcting that mistake and shame on selfish people.

Every single person had the option to pony up and pay for seats in the prime areas. They still have that option.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Byrne didn’t make any promises.

Larry Templeton did and they were bad for msu.

Good for Byrne for correcting that mistake and shame on selfish people.

Every single person had the option to pony up and pay for seats in the prime areas. They still have that option.
Promises were made by the university. Your thought is what killed the crowd. People did not have the option to purchase their seats where they knew everyone around them. The seats where they knew how to act like a basketball crowd. The selfish people are the ones that use their donations to buy seats and then only use them for Kentucky and Ole Miss, when we are really good. Tying Hump seating to BC priority didn't bring in any new money. It just enabled big donors to have good seats for a couple of games a year when we have a good team, at the price of having little to no crowds the rest of the time. That makes it much harder to build and keep a good team. A few of us warned about what was going to happen. The base Hump crowd was always about locals who actually went to nearly every game. The UNIVERSITY through Bryne made a conscious choice to kick those folks out. They knew exactly what would happen. What I don't think they foresaw is what it was going to do to the atmosphere and crowds at the games. While we were still good it stayed close, but when we went down it collapsed, and you didn't have the old zealot base and their kids to build from again. If you want to salve your conscience by saying those people had a choice then fine, but just know that that most of them didn't have the financial option to make the choice you think they had. Now we are begging people to come to games, and we have actually had some decent teams.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Promises were made by the university. Your thought is what killed the crowd. People did not have the option to purchase their seats where they knew everyone around them. The seats where they knew how to act like a basketball crowd. The selfish people are the ones that use their donations to buy seats and then only use them for Kentucky and Ole Miss, when we are really good. Tying Hump seating to BC priority didn't bring in any new money. It just enabled big donors to have good seats for a couple of games a year when we have a good team, at the price of having little to no crowds the rest of the time. That makes it much harder to build and keep a good team. A few of us warned about what was going to happen. The base Hump crowd was always about locals who actually went to nearly every game. The UNIVERSITY through Bryne made a conscious choice to kick those folks out. They knew exactly what would happen. What I don't think they foresaw is what it was going to do to the atmosphere and crowds at the games. While we were still good it stayed close, but when we went down it collapsed, and you didn't have the old zealot base and their kids to build from again. If you want to salve your conscience by saying those people had a choice then fine, but just know that that most of them didn't have the financial option to make the choice you think they had. Now we are begging people to come to games, and we have actually had some decent teams.
TLDR. Cry more.

They had the option to get good seats. And many could have stayed exactly where they were or close but many didn’t want to pony up.

im sorry Greg Byrne didn’t allow you to keep the tickets next to your cheap buddy who wouldn’t pony up to help the university.

good for him!
Shame on you and your bltch @$$ friends!!!!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Biggest problem with that reseating was moving the students out, not the actual season ticket holding alumni. Students are the key to atmosphere, at any college event. Crowds would be alright even if the season tickets holders didn't show, as long as the students did. We need to do everything possible to get them there.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Biggest problem with that reseating was moving the students out, not the actual season ticket holding alumni. Students are the key to atmosphere, at any college event. Crowds would be alright even if the season tickets holders didn't show, as long as the students did. We need to do everything possible to get them there.
The dumbest thing was when they SPLIT the student section. That was corrected after a year or two. The student section never really recovered.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
TLDR. Cry more.

They had the option to get good seats. And many could have stayed exactly where they were or close but many didn’t want to pony up.

im sorry Greg Byrne didn’t allow you to keep the tickets next to your cheap buddy who wouldn’t pony up to help the university.

good for him!
Shame on you and your bltch @$$ friends!!!!
I had better seats, till we gave them up due to health problems with my Dad. It still killed the crowd, and some of us knew it would. It was a STUPID move, and it still is.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Our baseball team is the worst team of the big 3 on campus the past two years. I’d be willing to bet it will be the worst going on 3 years too.
Afraid so

And the reason we are likely going to build back this year, is because our fans show up, even in the bad years. Players want to play for that type of culture and program. They are attracted to it.

I swear some of you are simply incapable of anything other than surface level, 'right-now' tunnel thinking.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010

He’s probably right.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
One loss to a team like that is all they needed to put you in the next 4 out for the rest of the year.

i don’t blame the fans for wanting a clean break from the past. Yet, here we are in year 2 of Jans running the same Howland-era players back out on the court.
Yes, circling the wagons around the arc and shooting threes every time.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Who is crying? Just stating facts that many, you for example, don't like to hear. It was a conscious choice the university made. They knew exactly what would happen. It's what they chose. I still laugh every time I see someone complaining about the atmosphere. I'm just glad I got to be a part of that snake pit at its finest. It was a LOT of fun! I still go to games sometimes. It's just not the same, even when we are good and the crowd is of a decent size.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Who is crying? Just stating facts that many, you for example, don't like to hear. It was a conscious choice the university made. They knew exactly what would happen. It's what they chose. I still laugh every time I see someone complaining about the atmosphere. I'm just glad I got to be a part of that snake pit at its finest. It was a LOT of fun! I still go to games sometimes. It's just not the same, even when we are good and the crowd is of a decent size.
I’m glad the university did what was best.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Losing did that
People like you helped
Stansbury helped
Renardo helped
Yes, but what was done kept it from coming back. That's what I've been saying all along. We threw the keepers of the flame out. I'd say people like you absolutely destroyed the basketball program. I still laugh about everyone blaming Renardo for what happened. He wasn't even the biggest problem child on that team, not even close. I had seats right by our bench back then. You could tell who the real problems were by how they acted during time outs and such. Renardo was just lazy.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yes, but what was done kept it from coming back. That's what I've been saying all along. We threw the keepers of the flame out. I'd say people like you absolutely destroyed the basketball program. I still laugh about everyone blaming Renardo for what happened. He wasn't even the biggest problem child on that team, not even close. I had seats right by our bench back then. You could tell who the real problems were by how they acted during time outs and such. Renardo was just lazy.
The right decision was made.

You’re butt hurt bc you or your pals lost cheap seats.

grt over it!!

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
Why has this thread lasted this long? Honestly it should just go away but for some reason it keeps popping up. Did our basketball team not win big today? Let this thread die or lock it down. For 17's sake!

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The right decision was made.

You’re butt hurt bc you or your pals lost cheap seats.

grt over it!!
Yes I am. Those folks were the backbone of the basketball crowd. Them not being there is THE reason the Hump atmosphere didn't recover when the team started getting better. Instead of real basketball fans we have corporate donors masquerading as empty seats. I'm
too lazy to go back and look but I bet you are one of the ones complaining about empty seats.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yes I am. Those folks were the backbone of the basketball crowd. Them not being there is THE reason the Hump atmosphere didn't recover when the team started getting better. Instead of real basketball fans we have corporate donors masquerading as empty seats. I'm
too lazy to go back and look but I bet you are one of the ones complaining about empty seats.
Man what a va jina b1ch

Glad we lost the fans like you.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nope. Students make the atmosphere.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
1988 to 93 those people you call the backbone show up for only the sec games. They sit all game. ***** that people are wanting to get that atmosphere pumped. The few games I came back to after being an alumni, those people still there/not there. Even when we started doing better with "atmosphere" after 96 and into the 2000s, those sticks in the mud were still there/not there. I wish it were better. It is not. I wish I'd had gotten the job at the tire plant a few years back. I'd be there every night, but then I might be like Kurt rambis who spent his time at the games bitching at this forum that we were not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login