The Athletic College Baseball Roundtable, Part II

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Same question about the transfer portal. How much has it affected the college game?

Gibson: It’s absolutely destroyed the college game. And I say that because three years ago, my shortstop leads the SEC in home runs, RJ Yeager at Mississippi State. Last year, my first baseman Angelo DiSpigna is all-conference in the ACC (at Georgia Tech). And then two years ago, we had four kids drafted. They all had NIL deals at Texas, Tennessee, Florida and Ole Miss, but they all signed professionally. And my centerfielder this year (Treyson Hughes) is now starting at Ole Miss. So obviously, I’ve been destroyed by it.

Note: Gibson is the Coach at Mercer.

• Wow
Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007

Same question about the transfer portal. How much has it affected the college game?

Gibson: It’s absolutely destroyed the college game. And I say that because three years ago, my shortstop leads the SEC in home runs, RJ Yeager at Mississippi State. Last year, my first baseman Angelo DiSpigna is all-conference in the ACC (at Georgia Tech). And then two years ago, we had four kids drafted. They all had NIL deals at Texas, Tennessee, Florida and Ole Miss, but they all signed professionally. And my centerfielder this year (Treyson Hughes) is now starting at Ole Miss. So obviously, I’ve been destroyed by it.

Note: Gibson is the Coach at Mercer.
Wow. On a related note, if Lemonis does tank again this year, maybe Gibson is one we need to be looking at hiring to replace him. You get that kind of talent at Mercer means you're doing something right.

Reactions: LADog and BirdPuppy

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Wow. On a related note, if Lemonis does tank again this year, maybe Gibson is one we need to be looking at hiring to replace him. You get that kind of talent at Mercer means you're doing something right.
And this talent includes Mercer’s 2016 Golden Spikes Award Winner Kyle Lewis.

BTW, Gibson is a Macon native, was ASun player of the year in ‘85, and has two degrees from Mercer. He got his Bachelor’s in ‘86 & Master in ‘88

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
Mercer has only been to two regionals since 2015...with the last one being in 2019....got to aim higher than that.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
LSU isn't listed, maybe it didn't want them, but there's Ole Miss throwing cash around like the big boys.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login