The Bulldog Initiative's Website Released

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
...and the fan experience and customer service has gone in the toilet over the past 3-5 years...

It's been several years longer than that for me & I'll add that going to games isn't fun after the friends I hung out with for ages divorce & move away from Starkville.

TTRams

Aug 22, 2012
I donated prior to the website being up and now am donating monthly. Let's go folks.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Great info. Personally, and I don't think I'm alone on this, I have a little hang up on giving a kid I don't have a relationship with $500 with no directive or indication of the spending. I'm certain this is a mental block for a lot of "average Joe" guys like myself. With that being said, I don't mind "overpaying" for a signed jersey that I can hang in my office. To me, creating a tie with the school's officially licensed gear provider is critical. I don't see why Adidas wouldn't give a collective an opportunity to purchase jerseys at wholesale or even at cost (wishful thinking).

No offense to Fanatics, but I'm not ordering anything from them that isn't Adidas. Their in-house stuff is awful. Particularly when it comes to getting the color right. I'm still sitting on a couple light crimson 2021 National Championship tshirts that I won't wear.

If it makes you feel anybetter, the money you were providing before wasn't really benefiting the school that much other than staying competitive. Most of the money just went into an arms race on coaches salaries, facilities, and amenities. The facilities and amenities being nicer is good and all, but it's not really benefiting the university or its students nearly as much as the cost, except that it allows us to compare favorably to other schools in the eyes of recruits.

So while it stinks that the value that is created by the university brand will be captured by athletes, it's actually probably less economically destructive.

But I get it. I've already realized that I'm apparently not a real fan. Just have a lot of other priorities for my time and money. Hopefully as the kids get older and we are able to catch our income up to inflation the interest will come back. MSU sports certainly can't make it if the average fan looks like us right now.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
With the BDC, you exchanged your money for tickets. You got a tangible benefit that you actually realized. The NIL seems more opaque.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And this is the exact point that I think some are going to have a very difficult time with. On the surface, we get it… it takes money to compete, and State will get left in the dust if we don’t get serious about this NIL game.

On the other hand, I have to admit that I understand the point of view that doesn’t want to transfer $1,000 of their hard earned money into the hands of a 18-year-old whom they’ve never met and that’s living the dream.

To me, one of the struggles is going to be figuring out how to somehow make this more transparent while staying within the rules and respecting individual privacy. I really want to understand what $100k gets us. One top 100 baseball player? Keeping 4 current players from transferring? I just don’t have any feel for this right now

kired

Aug 22, 2008
The whole thing sort of makes me want to say screw college sports and just watch pros instead because it's so much more straight forward. I can buy tickets and go to the games, maybe buy some merchandise. No one's asking me to for extra donations to help make the Titans or Spurs a playoff team.

Feels weird to say that because I've always preferred college over pros... but I can see that changing.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If all this stays the same it will be interesting to see what this all looks like in a couple of years. I would bet the perspectives/attitudes of NIL supporters at both wealthy schools and smaller schools will be very different from what they are now. Not saying I know in what ways but just different.

Last edited:

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
The whole thing sort of makes me want to say screw college sports and just watch pros instead because it's so much more straight forward. I can buy tickets and go to the games, maybe buy some merchandise. No one's asking me to for extra donations to help make the Titans or Spurs a playoff team.

Feels weird to say that because I've always preferred college over pros... but I can see that changing.

^^^This is where I am on this subject.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Yep. I’m already there.

I’m 38 years old, and 10 years ago and beyond MSU sports was probably the first thing on my mind when I woke up and the last thing before I fell asleep. Fast forward to now, and unless one of my friends just walks up and hands me free tickets while I’m at the tailgate, I don’t know that I’ll ever set foot in DWS again. Sadly but honestly, that’s how few 17’s I now give. It’s truly insane how much the college sports landscape has been destroyed in the past decade, and especially the past 18 months.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Same, but I've been at it much longer than you. I started buying season tickets in '85. I was driving 5 1/2 hrs each way for 10 years when I was living out of state to make all but 1 home football game during that time. Just 5 years ago I had moved to Starkville and was buying 2 season baseball tickets, 2 womens season basketball tickets, and 5 football tickets and a parking pass, thought I'd be going to every sporting event that happened here. Fast forward to this year and I wasn't even going to buy any football tickets but wanted the parking pass because its next to our tailgate area so I caved at the last minute and bought 2 and the parking pass. I'll make sure somebody uses the football tickets (that's assuming I can find somebody that will even want them because last year we had lots of extras laying around we couldn't even give away) but I haven't been inside the stadium myself the last 2 seasons. I don't buy women's tickets anymore since, well, you know.
We've got a great tailgate spot and a good group of friends. I can sit out there and watch on satellite. I can cook on the grill, walk around the Junction and best of all I can sit out there and drink a whole 6 pack of 16 oz beers for the cost of what fans are paying for one inside the stadium. To sum it up I've said adios to everything but baseball and if they start all the NIL and transferring like it looks like football has, I may have to pass on that too. Never thought in a million years I would be like this but I've been driven away

Last edited:

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Mid Thread hijack - are you planning to give? Why or why not?

As much I'd like to contribute to the greater good...I already buy tickets. Go to games. Give the actual University money for my kids to attend. If that isn't good enough, I don't know what to say.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Spend your limited entertainment dollars on things that actually entertain you.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
I know you can designate your money to specific sports. But can you designate your money to players who are out of penalty-free transfers? I’d hate to invest my money on a 4-star freshman left tackle who plays like a 5-star and moves on to Southern Cal for Year 2-4. *****

I am using sarcasterisks but I’m only half joking. What a mess this is!

Avelso

Apr 20, 2014
I just signed up for a modest monthly donation. I said I would never do it but the truth is we wont be in the Power 5 group of schools if we don't do this. I hate it but it is what it is and I need to support.

I fully understand why someone does not.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
I signed up to give monthly and I encourage others to do the same no matter what the amount is.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Is it really a tremendous ask to get 10,000 alumni to donate $300/year? Pretty pathetic honestly.

We don't have to get the Arch Mannings. We just need to be in the top 20 consistently and occasionally jump into the top 15. $1,500,000 might do that.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Is it really a tremendous ask to get 10,000 alumni to donate $300/year? Pretty pathetic honestly.

We don't have to get the Arch Mannings. We just need to be in the top 20 consistently and occasionally jump into the top 15. $1,500,000 might do that.

I’d be very shocked if we ever get 10,000 people to donate any amount of money to this. I could be completely wrong about this but I highly doubt this is largely being crowd sourced at most schools. Probably a few large donations.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I wouldn't count on it. I watched a lot more NFL and a lot less NCAA football than ever before last year. I didn't miss the college game at all. Still watched most Mississippi State games, and I hope that doesn't change. But it might.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
They get paid enough with our tax dollars. Let them find their own deals. Fans gone mad. Damn shame…

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
They get paid enough with our tax dollars. Let them find their own deals. Fans gone mad. Damn shame…

They should be paid out of the $50+mm the school gets per yr from the SEC and not by the average fan. It’s never going to be enough. We’re getting played. After they milk the common fan then they’ll unionize for even more, ask for your daughters, and want you to guarantee them post graduate pay. Again 17em!!

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
In 2024-2025 each SEC school will be getting close to $80 million from TV deals. If that ain’t enough for MSU to compete, we ain’t never gonna compete.

If College is going to be the NFL’s minor league, the NFL needs to create a arm that handles direct NIL deals to all FBS and FCS teams that feed them players. Time for NFL to pay for their minor league.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Stfu

The nfl has nothing to do with this. They just benefit from it.

That doesn’t mean they should pay for it.

If I’m a mom and pop restaurant owner with good food and a local following and another well known restaurant opens up next to me that attracts tons of new customers and my sales go up 25%, do I owe the new restaurant money?

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
They should be paid out of the $50+mm the school gets per yr from the SEC and not by the average fan.!!

This what I'm saying. The NCAA and congress need to revisit this nil thing and repeal it. However stipulate that schools need to greatly increase the player stipend based on your tv money. Then that stipend needs to adhere to title ix and be given to all athletes.

it is absolutely ridiculous that these schools can charge per seat donations, $100 a seat and get tv money and ask fans to pay NIL. Ridiculous. Little ole MSU has a $120 million per year of revenue and I'm expected to help with a NIL deal and State can't. Dumb.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
All due respect to everyone that doesn’t like NIL, please consider giving. I’m not one to tell anyone what to do with their money, but the 4 and 5 stars have been getting bought for your entire life. Just because you can see it in front of your eyes now doesn’t mean it hasn’t always been going on. Yes the prices are going up because it’s “legal” now and that has increased the casual fan’s ability to find the “bag man” and give to the cause. If we are going to have a semi competitive product and ever have a chance at anything special we need all the help we can get. Hail State.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Stfu

The nfl has nothing to do with this. They just benefit from it.

That doesn’t mean they should pay for it.

If I’m a mom and pop restaurant owner with good food and a local following and another well known restaurant opens up next to me that attracts tons of new customers and my sales go up 25%, do I owe the new restaurant money?
Speaking of which, you know who is going to benefit from this? Starkville restaurants and bars. Possibly a total of 7 figures going to a group of 18-22 year olds living in Starkville? I’m sure Amazon will be getting its share and mom and pop will be getting theirs as well, but I’m sure a lot will be spent in Starkville.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
All due respect to everyone that doesn’t like NIL, please consider giving. I’m not one to tell anyone what to do with their money, but the 4 and 5 stars have been getting bought for your entire life. Just because you can see it in front of your eyes now doesn’t mean it hasn’t always been going on. Yes the prices are going up because it’s “legal” now and that has increased the casual fan’s ability to find the “bag man” and give to the cause. If we are going to have a semi competitive product and ever have a chance at anything special we need all the help we can get. Hail State.

Goodgawd that was pathetic!!! If your self worth hangs in the balance with free throws and field goals then like a good Bama fan you should give. Otherwise continue to focus on your family and what is important in life.

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
I haven’t officially signed up but I think I know what I am going to do. I plan to give modestly at first($10 to $25 a month), primarily because I’ve already committed to my bulldog club donation for this year. I can drop it some and still cover my seat charge for next year. I could even drop a seat at some point. Then I plan to incrementally go up as I can without missing it from my paycheck. I believe it is a necessary evil and we have to decide if we want our program to compete and how we can help (what works best for each of us).

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I never thought I would say this but I'm almost in complete agreement with what you're saying. I'm not complaining about the schools like Mississippi State or other football programs near or at our level. Whatever they can do can only help didn't compete. I'm more of mind of the big blue bloods who are just gonna get a richer blood flow from these deals and leave the rest of us behind.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
NIL website: https://opendorse.com/

My son's school (UofL) just setup their athletes on this site:https://opendorse.com
Really easy to use. I did see one MSU athlete on it, female soccer player, whose name I forgot.
FYI

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login