The Bulldogs Are Back...

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
You shut your ***** mouth. This was the best thing ever to my 16 year old self. Super Bowl Shuffle? Eff that. We had the Bulldog Blitz!

You gonna get hit....you gonna get hit....
I sang that song all the time back then. "Bulldog Blitz" became a whole branding thing for awhile. I have some stadium cups in a box somewhere with that phrase on them.

was21

May 29, 2007

I have one. At the time, Bob Tyler could have been elected governor. We beat OM 35-13 and I remember listening to it at Crechale's Restaurant on old Hwy 80 west of Jackson after the beat down at Memorial Stadium. OM folk loved Tyler and rued the fact that one of the Kinards got their job over Vaught's preference fo Tyler.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I sang that song all the time back then. "Bulldog Blitz" became a whole branding thing for awhile. I have some stadium cups in a box somewhere with that phrase on them.
Yep. Used to pass out maroon and white posters at the games. Maroon with Bulldog Blitz on one side and white on the other.

Damn, those were good years

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I have a cowbell that has the bulldog blitz sticker on it.

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
Way back during the Archie Manning years, I had some Rebel friends that played "The Ballard of Archie Who", ad nauseum.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. Used to pass out maroon and white posters at the games. Maroon with Bulldog Blitz on one side and white on the other.

Damn, those were good years
I had one from the 1980 Sun Bowl. Probably still in a box somewhere. This poster is what made the "Maroon...White..." chant make sense. Everyone held up the maroon side when we yelled maroon, then the white side when we yelled white. It was a cool visual effect when the whole stadium did it.

Over the years without the visual element, that chant has lost some of its luster (to me).

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I had one from the 1980 Sun Bowl. Probably still in a box somewhere. This poster is what made the "Maroon...White..." chant make sense. Everyone held up the maroon side when we yelled maroon, then the white side when we yelled white. It was a cool visual effect when the whole stadium did it.

Over the years without the visual element, that chant has lost some of its luster (to me).
Brother, you read my mind. This whole conversation had me pull out my 1981 Reveille

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawg1969

Aug 22, 2012
I was at the Nebraska sun bowl. If i remember correctly Walter Packer fumbled the opening kick off,. It was over at that point.

• Sad
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I have one. At the time, Bob Tyler could have been elected governor. We beat OM 35-13 and I remember listening to it at Crechale's Restaurant on old Hwy 80 west of Jackson after the beat down at Memorial Stadium. OM folk loved Tyler and rued the fact that one of the Kinards got their job over Vaught's preference fo Tyler.
John Bond had more offense than the entire UM team that day. I was there and it was a glorious afternoon.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

was21

May 29, 2007
John Bond had more offense than the entire UM team that day. I was there and it was a glorious afternoon.
This was pre John Bond....the score was actually 31-13. It was 1974. OTOH, there were several records made back in the day. Maybe I've got the wrong one mixed up with that victory.

Last edited:

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
This was pre John Bond....the score was actually 31-13. It was 1974. OTOH, there were several records made back in the day. Maybe I've got the wrong one mixed up with that victory.
John Bond was a freshman in 1980. I’m pretty sure it was 31 - 13. That year. The Bears scored first on a trick play. We scored 31 straight and then the Bears scored late, went for 2 and it failed. They wore red jerseys that day and we were in all white with the normal maroon helmets. The sun was shinning and it was a nice day. Lost the clapper out of my bell about third quarter. 1974 must have been a similar game and score. I remember it very well. Good times for sure.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
John Bond was a freshman in 1980. I’m pretty sure it was 31 - 13. That year. The Bears scored first on a trick play. We scored 31 straight and then the Bears scored late, went for 2 and it failed. They wore red jerseys that day and we were in all white with the normal maroon helmets. The sun was shinning and it was a nice day. Lost the clapper out of my bell about third quarter. 1974 must have been a similar game and score. I remember it very well. Good times for sure.
1970 19-14 MSU
1974 31-13 MSU
1980 19-14 MSU

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Man do I feel like a dubmass now. Schit. Wasn't that the year Felker pulled off that miracle against Memphis State but also ended in a Sun Bowl blowout against Nebraska?
Yes, it was the Memphis State miracle year, but we beat North Carolina in the Sun Bowl. In 1980, we lost to Nebraska in the Sun. That was the year we went 9-2 and beat Bama 6-3.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login