The dreaded players only meeting.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Will heard about all the nayasyers on 6 Pack and is gathering his offensive line together to protect him.
Ralph Wiggum Danger GIF

He’s in trouble if he’s looking for his oline to protect him.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I believe it was Crumedy that said they have had a players only meeting every week since week 1. That almost worries me even more. Can't help but wonder is this causing the team to pull together or pulling them apart? I remember a couple players only meetings in high school. Talk about a disaster meeting with players that have poor reasoning skills.

Reactions: MidsouthDawg

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Don't jump to the dark side so quickly my younger alumna... It was a player's meeting after a blowout homecoming loss to USM in 1980 that turned MSU from "eh" to "Wow!" -- including that famous 6-3 upset of the No.1 Tide. Sometimes it requires a little "encouragement" from the seniors to the youngsters to get their heads together.
42-14 loss to USM. They were very talented back then, but we still had no business losing to them, much less getting blown out. But back then we managed to lose to them even when we vastly outplayed them. They just had our number.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Don't jump to the dark side so quickly my younger alumna... It was a player's meeting after a blowout homecoming loss to USM in 1980 that turned MSU from "eh" to "Wow!" -- including that famous 6-3 upset of the No.1 Tide. Sometimes it requires a little "encouragement" from the seniors to the youngsters to get their heads together.
Not sure if it was that game or maybe the 7-6 loss the next year, but I had a fraternity brother, Carl, who was pretty much always very laid-back, even keel, easy-going who absolutely lost his **** after one of those losses. We had lost to USM every year he had been at State, so his senior year (I believe) he wanted to beat their ***, maybe more than even Ole Miss.

That game is especially memorable for me because when the game ended, easy-going Carl proceeded to bash his cowbell repeatedly on the bleachers as hard as he could, using every curse word in the book and didn't stop until his cowbell was in pieces.

Those were always extremely frustrating games.

MidsouthDawg

Aug 1, 2017
I believe it was Crumedy that said they have had a players only meeting every week since week 1. That almost worries me even more. Can't help but wonder is this causing the team to pull together or pulling them apart? I remember a couple players only meetings in high school. Talk about a disaster meeting with players that have poor reasoning skills.
Joel Coleman said in an article that every Monday is a players only meeting...I agree super scary that they're having these meetings and still play like they don't even know each other

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
42-14 loss to USM. They were very talented back then, but we still had no business losing to them, much less getting blown out. But back then we managed to lose to them even when we vastly outplayed them. They just had our number.
I was at that game and I saw nothing that made me think we had no business losing to them. Reggie Collier ran circles around us.

Reactions: josebrown

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Just read an article where CZA was asked about the players only meeting after the loss and he basically said they have been having them all season so likelihood of this doing anything is approximately 0.001%

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
I think you need to reread the post I replied to and my reply and then try and use some comprehension.
You said it wasn’t remotely true that nothing good came from a players only meeting. I was just providing a recent example that it was at least somewhat true.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I was at that game and I saw nothing that made me think we had no business losing to them. Reggie Collier ran circles around us.
I didn't mean that game. I meant that team in that season. The same team that beat Bama 6-3. USM was very good, but we had a better team. WE just got vastly outplayed that day.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007

Reggie was the first great dual threat qb. He was the first ever to run for over a 1000 yards and pass for over a 1000 yards.
They also had Sammy Winder at RB, two time pro-bowler, 3 super bowls and 9 years in the nfl. He wasn't too shabby.
And Louis Lipps, at WR. rookie of the year, two time all-pro, 9 years, and Steelers Ring of Honor. He might not have been too bad either.

It looks like the score might have been about right.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Same. USM was just better.
Like I said, we were a better team that year, but they outplayed us by a mile that day.

Both teams went 9-3 including bowl games. We lost our Bowl to NE because we fumbled something like 7 times. USM won their bowl game 24-21, but were playing McNeese St. for Pete's sake! Their other wins were OM, Richmond, Lamar, Ark State, E. Carolina, LT, & Tulane. Not exactly a "Murderers Row".

Common opponents that year:

Auburn - We beat them 24-21, USM lost 0-31
Bama - We beat Bama 6-3, USM lost 7-42
Louisiana Tech - We beat them 31-11, USM beat them 38-11
OM - We beat them 19-14, USM beat them 28-22

Our only other regular season loss was to UF, who later admitted they cheated and offered to forfeit, but we didn't accept, so USM was our only true regular season loss. We just laid an egg that day vs USM. Yes, USM was a talented team, but we were still better...just not that day.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Reggie was the first great dual threat qb. He was the first ever to run for over a 1000 yards and pass for over a 1000 yards.
They also had Sammy Winder at RB, two time pro-bowler, 3 super bowls and 9 years in the nfl. He wasn't too shabby.
And Louis Lipps, at WR. rookie of the year, two time all-pro, 9 years, and Steelers Ring of Honor. He might not have been too bad either.

It looks like the score might have been about right.
We had 7 players on that squad drafted by the NFL who played a combined 37 years. We played a much more difficult regular season and went 9-2 in it, with the other loss to UF who later admitted to cheating. For some ridiculous reason we declined to accept the forfeit that was offered.

Our wins included 6-3 over Bama, who USM lost to 7-42, and 24-21 over Au, who USM lost to 0-31.

We were the better team who simply got outplayed by a wide margin that day by a talented USM squad. We finished ranked #19, they finished unranked.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login