The effects of conference realignment gone mad.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
UVA would take an absolute beating in the new SEC.
I know. I was thinking more of if we took a Florida State or a Clemson. Got to be careful about that.

Virginia seems to give you a big state AND a beatable team, but at the same time, they don't offer the quality of an FSU or Clemson. And moving forward, quality may matter more. But that quality gives you a harder schedule.

The only rational truth to it all is that college sports has no real purpose or goal anymore, therefore, it just chases the low-hanging fruit. I'm not sure that's a great long term strategy.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Literally never, especially with a consolidation of conferences and an expanded playoff.
If that is true, then the SEC should absolutely, unequivocally, without a shadow of a doubt - take Florida State and Clemson next when alignment comes due.

The only question would be, who is 19 and 20. I don't care about TV footprint of UNC and UVA, as time goes by, that will dwindle. It will become about football brands more than anything. Of course, after FSU/CU, the best of the rest is probably UNC, NC State or Va Tech. But truth be known, I don't know that I'd want the B1G getting Miami and Georgia Tech either (if I'm the SEC). That's like dropping troops right into the SEC's homeland.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don't know that I'd want the B1G getting Miami and Georgia Tech either (if I'm the SEC). That's like dropping troops right into the SEC's homeland.
Georgia Tech would not help the SEC at all. If the B1G wants them, let them have them.

I could see a world where the SEC takes both Miami and FSU, though.

Reactions: Dawgg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The conference realignments are not going to be permanent. We will see things change again within about five years or maybe even sooner. Some schools made hasty decisions, and they will regret making such hasty decisions so quickly.

The unknown factor is money. Y'all know that money makes the gears start turning..

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If that is true, then the SEC should absolutely, unequivocally, without a shadow of a doubt - take Florida State and Clemson next when alignment comes due.

The only question would be, who is 19 and 20. I don't care about TV footprint of UNC and UVA, as time goes by, that will dwindle. It will become about football brands more than anything. Of course, after FSU/CU, the best of the rest is probably UNC, NC State or Va Tech. But truth be known, I don't know that I'd want the B1G getting Miami and Georgia Tech either (if I'm the SEC). That's like dropping troops right into the SEC's homeland.
100% Florida State should be the first team off the board, academics be damned. Clemson might be a good #2, but I'd have to see where Clemson is in the next 5-7 years.

What's going to get ratings?
Alabama vs Florida State
or
Alabama vs Virginia?

It really comes down to who the networks will pay for and that's going to mean matchups against your upper tier of the conference, so who would you want to see Texas, OU, LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida play? You could go ahead and throw Tennessee and Auburn and maybe Texas A&M in there too. If we're talking Big Ten, who do you want to see go up against Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Washington, Oregon, and maybe Wisconsin and Iowa. Once you answer that question, that gives you your answers on who's going to be next.

I'm not sure anybody is clamoring for Penn State vs Georgia Tech. Penn State vs Miami? That actually sounds like good TV regardless of Miami's recent football history. Penn State vs Pitt? That could be a fun in state rivalry if marketed correctly.

Another thing to consider with the potential demise of the ACC is where Notre Dame is going to land. They may be content with their Men's basketball and non-revenue sports in a depleted ACC, but you have to believe they're going to really have to consider if they want 5 football games to continue to be vs Syracuse, Boston College, Louisville, SMU, and whoever gets poached from the AAC or Conference USA.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Big 12?

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon13 and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
He wasn’t joking either, he believed it. The internet and boomers don’t mix.
No kidding. I can promise you that when FSU can afford to get out of the grant of rights (not if because it will eventually happen as we get closer to the expiration date), they’re not going to the Big 12. That’s ridiculous. They’re going to the SEC or Big 10. But it won’t happen in the next 5 years.

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login