The Lane Kiffin Bidding War begins

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
The “15” is what he’s after. I acknowledged he’s done a great job. But, he’s a character risk and a social pariah.

He’s very much minded his P’s and Q’s in Oxford, and it will pay off some day. But jeebus, they hired the guy from Florida Atlantic…. Don’t act like you fall from USC and Tenner to FAU without a freaking reason.
Sorry, I meant to quote the guy who said only a few programs would take Lane Kiffin.

To your post, I really don't think his "baggage" is a big deal. He's been great at a crappy program going on 5 years, that's way more valuable and plenty long enough to erase his UT/USC days. If he wins 10 games at ole miss again, he'll be the number 1 candidate on the board for anyone hiring a new head coach.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It astounds me to see people on a MSU board talking up the Ole Miss coach, that it's Lane Kiffin makes it even more perplexing.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
his "baggage" is rather light.

Hes actually done nothing.
Won at UT, took a better job, happens all the time

.got fired at USC for not winning --wasnt and wont be the only coach that got fired for losing.

Didnt succeed as a college coach in the NFL-- join the list of coaches this has happened too

Started back as a coordinator at Bama. Was extremely successful.

Took HC position at a lesser school, won big, and earned himself the Ole Miss job

Built/Building Ole Miss into a program on the brink of becoming a major player in college football

Actually i dont see any baggage there... unless you dont like his social media or sideline presence-- which is way over blown....
Or it can be worded as--he either left suddenly or was fired from every job until FAU. Even then he didn't recruit even one four-star to FAU. No one else wanted him other than Arkansas, and Arkansas got an OL coach who had never been a coordinator instead.

So OM got lucky. They had a lot of bad hires in a row, so don't act like they know what they are doing.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Or it can be worded as--he either left suddenly or was fired from every job until FAU. Even then he didn't recruit even one four-star to FAU. No one else wanted him other than Arkansas, and Arkansas got an OL coach who had never been a coordinator instead.

So OM got lucky. They had a lot of bad hires in a row, so don't act like they know what they are doing.
Does any coach not leave suddenly or be fired?

there are only a few that leave on their own terms… most are fired or leave in a rush

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
It astounds me to see people on a MSU board talking up the Ole Miss coach, that it's Lane Kiffin makes it even more perplexing.
You've got it all wrong... We have so little respect for the ole miss program, it's impressive what this coach has done for them. Surely with just an average coach they would be forced to resort to hiring hookers for recruits and making such calls from the university cell phone, THEN underachieving with those players...

Reactions: josebrown

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You've got it all wrong... We have so little respect for the ole miss program, it's impressive what this coach has done for them. Surely with just an average coach they would be forced to resort to hiring hookers for recruits and making such calls from the university cell phone, THEN underachieving with those players...
You are still taking him up.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Will FL wait to name a head coach if OM makes the playoffs? Would put them way behind in recruiting.

MadReb

Oct 3, 2013
Actually, I've always said he's not leaving yet every year up until now. And he won't leave for anything but an elite job. The UF job fits that bill and the FSU job probably does, and at least one of them will be open.
Florida is killing its own football program. Its NIL situation is not good after failing to pay Rashada.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Florida is killing its own football program. Its NIL situation is not good after failing to pay Rashada.
They’ve been mismanaging their program for years. But the potential is as elite as it gets.

Reactions: MadReb

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I don’t know if any of you have read the ESPN article on Kiffin a few weeks ago but it was pretty interesting. He was set to go to Auburn but his daughter who had just moved to Oxford and enrolled at OM asked if he was leaving her again. That put the kibosh on the Auburn job. He quit drinking, started yoga, and got in shape. He doesnt Sound like the same guy fired by Saban a few years ago. I said when they hired him, he was a train wreck waiting to happen but if the article is factual then he’s proving me wrong. I don’t think he’s going anywhere until his daughter graduates and she has at least two more years.

Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
The guy is a great coach and definitely a winner.

Everybody loves Joey Freshwater and would love to have him as their coach and bangin' their coeds.

See OM. They will throw everything they've got at him to keep him.

They will outbid or match UF and FSU and probably anyone else, including LSU.

So the only reason Joey leaves is because Joey wants to go somewhere else.
Apparently a few or somebody's daughters have been offer up as sacrifices. He kind of reminds me of Clint Eastwood's character in High Plains Drifter. The town was so desperate for a hired gun to protect them from the bad guys getting out of prison. The town leaders let him have the run of the town including kicking the hotel owner out of his home and taking his wife. That's how desperate Ole Miss appears in their quest to be relevant again.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Apparently a few or somebody's daughters have been offer up as sacrifices. He kind of reminds me of Clint Eastwood's character in High Plains Drifter. The town was so desperate for a hired gun to protect them from the bad guys getting out of prison. The town leaders let him have the run of the town including kicking the hotel owner out of his home and taking his wife. That's how desperate Ole Miss appears in their quest to be relevant again.

As long as Kiffin is in Oxford, they will be relevant. While I hope they implode as they usually do when they get over-hyped, that with coaches that were pretenders. Nut, O, Hugh.

Kiffin, love him or hate him, is good coach and recruiter. Maybe great.

We shall see what happens this season but expect OM to win 11-12 games this season.... maybe more.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login