The leadership at MUW really just doesn't get it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
After all the backlash they got for proposing a name change to Mississippi Brightwell University, they did the right thing and backtracked. They came up with a list of three new names for people to vote for. The list was Wynbridge, Welbright, and Wynbright. Really. I couldn't make something this ridiculous and stupid up.

What will it be?: MUW begins next steps in naming process (wcbi.com)

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Somebody needs to nut up and just say this is the new name. 17 off if you don't like it. Never going to satisfy even 1/4 of the alumni.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The W’s problems are these:

1. They need to rename the university. They have real studies showing their name prevents students from being interested.

2. The alternate names in the original survey sucked. Nothing stood out.

3. BrightWell was a fiasco.

4. The W is their brand. The alumni want it— especially the alumnae.

The $64 question: Can they do what Jones County Junior College does which is be branded as Jones College but with their legal name still being Jones County Junior College and attract students?

Call them The W.

Legally they can still be Mississippi University for Women.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
After all the backlash they got for proposing a name change to Mississippi Brightwell University, they did the right thing and backtracked. They came up with a list of three new names for people to vote for. The list was Wynbridge, Welbright, and Wynbright. Really. I couldn't make something this ridiculous and stupid up.

It seems unlikely to me that a re-brand is going to solve enrollment issues, but who knows? Higher Ed is in for a rough ride until we see some consolidation or reduction in the number of universities.

fredgarvin

Jun 26, 2010

What is the benefit of this school continuing to be a stand-alone university?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sounds like it's their consultants that are stupid. They wanted to abandon the W, which was about as dumb as us going to &tate.

And of course it was dumb not to merge with MSU.

Why not just call it Welty University? Is that too obvious?
Consultants aren't stupid. They come up with the recommendations they know their client wants. They know how to generate repeat business.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It seems unlikely to me that a re-brand is going to solve enrollment issues
You hit the nail on the head. The administration is convinced of it.

Their biggest problem is their admissions department. They are understaffed and aren't real "go-getters" from what I hear.

They just (this week) added functionality to their homepage to make it easier to apply, request information, and request a tour. Also, it's too difficult to get in contact with someone from the admissions department.

They only had 120ish freshmen this year. I was shocked when I heard that.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
University's consulting firm. Nothing bad ever came from that. ***
X Factor Laughing GIF by X Factor Global
Where Do I Even Start Season 1 GIF by SHOWTIME

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Why did they add men's sports? To get a couple of dozen more students in there?

Keep the name MUW
Drop the men's sports

Men's sports isn't saving that school.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
The reality: Doesn't make a damn bit of difference to anyone outside of the Golden Triangle or Mississippi***********************

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Why did they add men's sports? To get a couple of dozen more students in there?

Keep the name MUW
Drop the men's sports

Men's sports isn't saving that school.
It's been MUW for 50 years. And they've been enrolling males for over 40. Why change it now?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You hit the nail on the head. The administration is convinced of it.

Their biggest problem is their admissions department. They are understaffed and aren't real "go-getters" from what I hear.

They just (this week) added functionality to their homepage to make it easier to apply, request information, and request a tour. Also, it's too difficult to get in contact with someone from the admissions department.

They only had 120ish freshmen this year. I was shocked when I heard that.
wow!

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
It's been MUW for 50 years. And they've been enrolling males for over 40. Why change it now?
Because the name makes it more difficult to attract male students. Simple as that. It’s not a coincidence that their enrollment is over 80% female.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I'd call it MUWM. Mississippi University for Women & Men. Keeps their core traditional name and adds what they need to remain a state funded school.

Reactions: patdog

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'd call it MUWM. Mississippi University for Women & Men. Keeps their core traditional name and adds what they need to remain a state funded school.
I’m sure that name isn’t “inclusive” enough. Part of the push is to get rid of gender identity as a whole. If they keep it, they’ll get railroaded to add the alphabet soup.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Consultants aren't stupid. They come up with the recommendations they know their client wants. They know how to generate repeat business.
Maybe not stupid, but more concerned with their bottom line than the greater good. I’ve been a consultant.

Imagine if they’d do the best thing for everyone? I can dream.

Reactions: patdog and Mr. Cook

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
That is not fair at all in the current clash of cultural Rotting. I mean why can't it be MUMWO
Mississippi University for Men, Women and Other?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login