The leadership at MUW really just doesn't get it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'd call it MUWM. Mississippi University for Women & Men. Keeps their core traditional name and adds what they need to remain a state funded school.
Let that be the official name. Then just continue to call it MUW or The W. Similar to Univ of Louisiana Lafayette just calling themselves Louisiana.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Whatever the case, my mother was very proud of the degree she earned in 1962 from The W and always recalled her time there as a Masker with great fondness.

She saw some of its decline before her death but I’m really glad she’s not here to see this clown show.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Needs to become....

Mississippi State University- Nursing
This whole discussion just illustrates how necessary this was. It's best for everybody. But in true Mississippi fashion, we screw this up. IIRC, it was all about Barbour's administration trying to 'save money on administration' like the hardcore conservative hivemind. Then of course, the W folks didn't want to be talked down to and treated like that.

It's the most obvious thing in the world, and would further connect the Golden Triangle. MSU - W campus. Or Nursing. Any number of choices.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I would be thrilled for State to merge/absorb their nursing school. But what about the rest of the University? Would we really want their College of Business or Arts and Sciences etc? If the school really is in dire straits, sounds like that would be a major undertaking for us to deal with an fix.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
George Bush University: The W
That way you have two v's with a Bush bumping against each other.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
After all the backlash they got for proposing a name change to Mississippi Brightwell University, they did the right thing and backtracked. They came up with a list of three new names for people to vote for. The list was Wynbridge, Welbright, and Wynbright. Really. I couldn't make something this ridiculous and stupid up.

What will it be?: MUW begins next steps in naming process (wcbi.com)
All I see is "Ok you didn't like Reighful (pronounced 'rifle'). We hear you. Now you have the option, pick one: Ashleigh, Carleigh, Brittneigh"

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
MSU absorbs and expands their nursing school.
Keep the School of Education and their lab school for Elementary Education, as well as keep MSMS there.
EMCC takes over their business school and we keep a limited general business option on their campus or allow their 2 year graduates to come to Starkville
Get rid of all sports, men and women. As much as men's sports don't make sense, their teams play in the St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference - a group of small St. Louis-area colleges and MUW.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Welty ain’t an option.

Her family isn’t allowing it.
No exaggeration, I think I have seen Welty suggested 32 times over the last 3 weeks, and I have read 84 responses to those 32 suggestions that explain why it wont happen.
At this point, just sticky a post atop SPS that declares 'THE W WILL NOT BE NAMED AFTER WELTY BECAUSE HER FAMILY DOES NOT WANT IT'.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
No exaggeration, I think I have seen Welty suggested 32 times over the last 3 weeks, and I have read 84 responses to those 32 suggestions that explain why it wont happen.
At this point, just sticky a post atop SPS that declares 'THE W WILL NOT BE NAMED AFTER WELTY BECAUSE HER FAMILY DOES NOT WANT IT'.
https://magnoliatribune.com/2024/01/30/why-not-welty/

"The only catch is that the jury may still be out on whether Welty’s family would give their blessing to this change. Curiously, the Clarion Ledger reported on January 9 that Welty’s family “did not sign off” on a previous attempt to name the school for her, while the Columbus Dispatch reported in 2009 that family members had given the OK."

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Decent article in Mississippi Today…

TLDR —

MUW is a cute little planet…

earth planet GIF by safosone

…Immediately next to the soul-sucking Black Hole that is Mississippi State.

stephen hawking physics GIF

Reactions: Dawgg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Just call it "The W". My Mom and both aunts are graduates in some form or another, and one of them was a long-time prof there. That has been what it has been called through all of the changes. It has always just been "The W." "The W, a Mississippi University," rings true. It really does.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Just call it "The W". My Mom and both aunts are graduates in some form or another, and one of them was a long-time prof there. That has been what it has been called through all of the changes. It has always just been "The W." "The W, a Mississippi University," rings true. It really does.
Not bad honestly

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I would be thrilled for State to merge/absorb their nursing school. But what about the rest of the University? Would we really want their College of Business or Arts and Sciences etc? If the school really is in dire straits, sounds like that would be a major undertaking for us to deal with a fix.
Create the MSU healthcare center. As State adds healthcare programs such as therapy place it in Columbus instead of Meredian. State is going to have a hard time finding instructors who will move to Meridian as programs are added. Unfortunately for State there’s a lot of politics in this state that don’t want state and the surrounding communities to become to prosperous.

Reactions: Maroon13

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Create the MSU healthcare center. As State adds healthcare programs such as therapy place it in Columbus instead of Meredian. State is going to have a hard time finding instructors who will move to Meridian as programs are added. Unfortunately for State there’s a lot of politics in this state that don’t want state and the surrounding communities to become to prosperous.
But the what do you do with the rest of the programs? If you just scrap them, you’ll have a campus where like half the buildings are just vacant. Or at least a noticeable amount. I know at least a few already are.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
So a little internet research seems to indicate that they did this same **** in 2009 and then never got around to changing the name??

Is that true??

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Decent* article indeed. And the pull quote you referenced is apropos: "MUW is like a tiny planet that may be fated to fall into MSU’s orbit. "
One could only hope that such a rational outcome would happen.

*I will say, that's high praise from me considering that I think Mississippi Today as a whole dishonestly waves a false flag of being "unbiased" while in fact being overtly left-biased on social and political issues.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
The real question is whether she wants it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
*I will say, that's high praise from me considering that I think Mississippi Today as a whole dishonestly waves a false flag of being "unbiased" while in fact being overtly left-biased on social and political issues.
Yeah. I fell for their trick at first and actually sent them a voluntary contribution. After about a year I realized the news I was getting from them was anything but fair and unbiased.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Decent* article indeed. And the pull quote you referenced is apropos: "MUW is like a tiny planet that may be fated to fall into MSU’s orbit. "
One could only hope that such a rational outcome would happen.

It’s coming.

The name debacle won’t be the reason why but it’ll be one of the many symptoms.

I think they do good work when it comes to news.

Opinions and editorials of course tend to be more to the left.

I think it’s generally a good thing that Fourth Estate outlets exist to provide different viewpoints to what are considered to be government thought (I’m including both Mississippi Today now and the Rush Limbaugh Show when Clinton was President).

Reactions: Dawgg

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I think they do good work when it comes to news.

Opinions and editorials of course tend to be more to the left.

The issue is that it's blazingly apparent that their "news" coverage is largely opinion-heavy, but oh of course in defensible code and editorial nuance.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The issue is that it's blazingly apparent that their "news" coverage is largely opinion-heavy, but oh of course in defensible code and editorial nuance.
Yep. Classic Watchdog Journalism.

Someone’s got to keep an eye on the Good Ol’ Boy networks. Might as well be them since the Clarion-Ledger is a toothless shell of its former self.

I’d love to see Magnolia Tribune get more into watchdog stuff. Most of what’s on their web site are currently puff pieces but this is an intriguing article posted today that’s germane to college enrollment:

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I read 1440 every day. It's the closest thing to unbiased news that I've found.
If there were a Mississippi-centric version of 1440 I'd read it every day.
(And Tennessee, too, since that's where we're moving.)

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I read 1440 every day. It's the closest thing to unbiased news that I've found.
If there were a Mississippi-centric version of 1440 I'd read it every day.
(And Tennessee, too, since that's where we're moving.)
It’s a very good news aggregator.

Thanks again for previously mentioning it.

Reactions: MagicDawg

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
The best chance it has for survival is to change to Walton University and then try and get one of those Walton billionaires to find it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login