The most chaotic CFP scenario that isn't that far fetched.

Which three teams join Ohio State/Michigan winner in the CFP?

• Georgia (12-1, SEC runner-up)

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • Florida State (13-0, ACC champion)

Votes: 64 73.6%
  • Oregon (12-1, Pac-12 champion, avenged only loss in conference championship game)

Votes: 52 59.8%
  • Texas (12-1, Big XII champion)

Votes: 47 54.0%
  • Alabama (12-1, SEC champion)

Votes: 51 58.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Assume the following:
  • Georgia beats Georgia Tech.
  • Ohio State/Michigan winner beats Iowa.
  • Florida State wins out.
  • Oregon wins out.
  • Alabama wins out.
  • Texas wins out.
Ohio State/Michigan winner is in.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Assume the following:
  • Oregon wins out.
  • Alabama wins out.
  • Texas wins out.

There are 2-3 potential scenarios that would cause utter madness for the CFP committee should they happen. It’s fun to consider them all.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Pac 12 gets left out, they don't want to lose friends in real conferences.

Reactions: onewoof

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
You have undefeated #2 Ohio State playing undefeated #3 Michigan, why would you not include the loser of that game in the options ? #1 Ga, Playing a 1 loss #8 Alabama. Texas is one loss #7 , looked bad against Iowa State. FSU without Travis(broken ankle) is not a top 4 team, will probably lose to Florida. #6 1 loss Oregon ?

Michigan and Ohio State have a good chance of both being in.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Call me crazy but I think Florida wins this weekend. FSU is not the same team without the QB and Florida took Missouri to the limit and Missouri is for real.

Reactions: patdog

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
You have undefeated #2 Ohio State playing undefeated #3 Michigan, why would you not include the loser of that game in the options ? #1 Ga, Playing a 1 loss #8 Alabama. Texas is one loss #7 , looked bad against Iowa State. FSU without Travis(broken ankle) is not a top 4 team, will probably lose to Florida. #6 1 loss Oregon ?

A 1 loss Michigan/Ohio State that didn’t make their conference championship game isn’t getting in over a bunch of 1 loss conference champions.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
A 1 loss Michigan/Ohio State that didn’t make their conference championship game isn’t getting in over a bunch of 1 loss conference champions.
So if #2 Ohio States only loss is by one on the road to probable #1 Michigan, they aren’t in the playoffs ? I don’t think so.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
So if #2 Ohio States only loss is by one on the road to probable #1 Michigan, they aren’t in the playoffs ? I don’t think so.
Absolutely not because Ohio State losing would drop them at least 3 spots and if they’re not playing on Dec 2 and Texas, Bama, and Oregon all win on Dec 2 against highly ranked teams, Ohio State is out of the conversation almost immediately when the committee meets

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
It is not even totally out of the question that Texas loses a game or that Iowa beats Michigan/Ohio State winner in Big 12 Championship.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Absolutely not because Ohio State losing would drop them at least 3 spots and if they’re not playing on Dec 2 and Texas, Bama, and Oregon all win on Dec 2 against highly ranked teams, Ohio State is out of the conversation almost immediately when the committee meets
3 spots behind who ? Texas ? FSU without Travis ? I don’t think so. You’ve got an sec bias here. 2 out of the best 3 teams in the country are big ten this year.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
3 spots behind who ? Texas ? FSU without Travis ? I don’t think so. You’ve got a sec bias here. 2 out of the best 3 teams in the country are big ten this year.
Ohio State would drop from 2 to 5 with Michigan moving up, Washington moves up, Florida State assuming they win given the options from the poll.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
there is a scenario where Michigan could get screwed, but not Ohio State. if Michigan wins they both will probably go in. FSU without Travis is a joke, they aren’t even a top 10 team.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
We will know in a week or two. If Georgia, Washington, Michigan, Texas and Florida State all win out, not sure who is getting screwed but Ohio State isn’t sniffing the CFP in that scenario.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Because the B1G isn’t strong enough as a conference to warrant a 1-loss team that didn’t even win its division being admitted. A 1-loss Washington would have a better argument than either one. No way in hell is the B1G getting 2 teams in when they are only the 3rd strongest conference behind the SEC and PAC.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
3 spots behind who ? Texas ? FSU without Travis ? I don’t think so. You’ve got a sec bias here. 2 out of the best 3 teams in the country are big ten this year.
And how is talking about teams not in the SEC “having a SEC bias”? I’m the only person that I’ve seen on the board that has even approached the idea that the SEC could possibly be left out completely. Are you sure you’re on the right message board? You seem to have a B1G Ten bias.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Assume the following:
  • Oregon wins out.
  • Alabama wins out.
  • Texas wins out.

That’s pretty easy. UGA and Texas get the boot. Champs of the 3 best conferences are in automatically. FSU gets the last spot as an undefeated champ.

Texas would have the worst loss and therefore worst resume of any of the conference champs, so they get left out there. They’ve also not been good at all since the Bama upset. Besides the loss to OU, they have a 7 point win over a bad Houston team, a 3 point win over a bad TCU team, and a 10 point win over a mediocre ISU team….just in the past month. They are an easy scratch.

UGA would be a non-champ so they are out, too, in just about any scenario where there are five conference champs with 1 or no losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
And how is talking about teams not in the SEC “having a SEC bias”? I’m the only person that I’ve seen on the board that has even approached the idea that the SEC could possibly be left out completely. Are you sure you’re on the right message board? You seem to have a B1G Ten bias.
Lol, my only bias is saying if you have undefeated #2 and undefeated #3 play a game at the end of the year, the one loss loser of that game will get consideration for the playoffs and not be left out of the conversation. Big ten has had 2 of the top 3 teams all year and Ohio State has been #1 most of the year.

ESPN playoff predictor has the top four teams most likely to get in 1 Ga, 2 OSU, 3 FSU, 4 Michigan.....Bama is 7th with a 22% chance.

I think Washington jumps FSU who will lose to Florida.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
there is a scenario where Michigan could get screwed, but not Ohio State. if Michigan wins they both will probably go in. FSU without Travis is a joke, they aren’t even a top 10 team.
Jesus Christ…..what a putrid take. Your opinion of what FSU is without Travis doesn’t 17ing matter. They’d be the only undefeated P5 champion besides the B1G winner. There’s no way they’d get left out.

You seriously think the committee should snub them only because their QB got hurt and no other reason related to the actual games played on the field?

Last edited:

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Lol, my only bias is saying if you have undefeated #2 and undefeated #3 play a game at the end of the year, the one loss loser of that game will get consideration for the playoffs and not be left out of the conversation. Big ten has had 2 of the top 3 teams all year and Ohio State has been #1 most of the year.

ESPN playoff predictor has the top four teams most likely to get in 1 Ga, 2 OSU, 3 FSU, 4 Michigan.....Bama is 7th with a 22% chance.

I think Washington jumps FSU who will lose to Florida.
The rankings came out in the middle of all this conversation.

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan
4. Washington
5. Florida State
6. Oregon
7. Texas
8. Alabama

ESPN Playoff scenario machine says Ohio State has 32% chance of making playoff if they lose to Michigan.

Georgia 12-1 with loss being to Alabama in SECCG is at 54%.

Alabama finishes 12-1 beating Georgia is at 54%.

Texas wins out and wins conf champ game is at 53%.

Florida State undefeated is 99%

Washington undefeated is 98%

Oregon finishes 12-1 is 88%

Guess that tells us who would get screwed which is Texas.

Reactions: Drebin

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Jesus Christ…..what a putrid take. Your opinion of what FSU is without Travis doesn’t 17ing matter. They’d be the only undefeated P5 champion. There’s no way they’d get left out.

You seriously think the committee should snub them only because their QB got hurt and no other reason related to the actual games played on the field?
FSU won’t even get by Florida.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
The rankings came out in the middle of all this conversation.

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan
4. Washington
5. Florida State
6. Oregon
7. Texas
8. Alabama

ESPN Playoff scenario machine says Ohio State has 32% chance of making playoff if they lose to Michigan.

Georgia 12-1 with loss being to Alabama in SECCG is at 54%.

Alabama finishes 12-1 beating Georgia is at 54%.

Texas wins out and wins conf champ game is at 53%.

Florida State undefeated is 99%

Washington undefeated is 98%

Oregon finishes 12-1 is 88%

Guess that tells us who would get screwed which is Texas.
Probably, I’m just calling it how I see it. 5 best teams are Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan and Washington. need an expanded playoff. If Travis is healthy, I’d have FSU in the top 4.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Probably, I’m just calling it how I see it. 5 best teams are Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan and Washington. need an expanded playoff. If Travis is healthy, I’d have FSU in the top 4.
I think Oregon would beat 3-4 of the teams you listed. I guess we are all entitled to our opinion.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think a Big 12 champion Texas gets in over an SEC champion Alabama. Texas beat Bama head to head and is just as big, if not bigger, brand nationally.

Plus, the SEC had a down year this year and suffered a number of non-conference losses like the one above and I think that hurt the conference’s perception this season.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
FSU won’t even get by Florida.
Well first off, maybe work on the reading comprehension. This entire thread is about what happens if they go 13-0. They will 100% be in the playoff in that scenario no matter what. 12-1 or 11-2 is another discussion for another thread.

Secondly, sounds like maybe you’re about to be rich! FSU is -6.5 against the Gators. So if they’re not gonna get by UF at all, you got quite a safety margin there to load up on the Gators to cover. Let us know how much you clean up there, baw. Meanwhile we can archive this through the weekend and see how it turns out.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Well first off, maybe work on the reading comprehension. This entire thread is about what happens if they go 13-0. They will 100% be in the playoff in that scenario no matter what. 12-1 or 11-2 is another discussion for another thread.

Secondly, sounds like maybe you’re about to be rich! FSU is -6.5 against the Gators. So if they’re not gonna get by UF at all, you got quite a safety margin there to load up on the Gators to cover. Let us know how much you clean up there, baw. Meanwhile we can archive this through the weekend and see how it turns out.

This whole thread is about fsu going 13-0 ? Must have missed that. Nothing gets by you, you’ve been spot on all year.****

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think a Big 12 champion Texas gets in over an SEC champion Alabama. Texas beat Bama head to head and is just as big, if not bigger, brand nationally.

Plus, the SEC had a down year this year and suffered a number of non-conference losses like the one above and I think that hurt the conference’s perception this season.
No chance. SEC recently overtook the PAC 12 as the #1 conference in the latest power rankings. Gap is not as big as its been in past years, but SEC is still objectively the best league, and a one-loss conference champion of the best league is getting in no matter what….especially over a 1-loss champ of the 4th best league (Big 12) - regardless of the outcome of one head-to-head matchup in Week 2 when both teams looked totally different than they do now. Consider that Bama would have wins over a CFP Top 5 UGA, CFP Top 15 LSU, CFP Top 15 Ole Miss, CFP Top 20-25 Tennessee, and only loss to a CFP Top 5-6 team. Texas would have just the Bama win, KSU win (Top 15?) , and a win and loss to another Top 15 in OU. Bama would just have the better resume.

Brand size nationally also means nothing. They put TCU in over Alabama last year. They’re going to put in the best 4 teams based on what happens on the field.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This whole thread is about fsu going 13-0 ? Must have missed that. Nothing gets by you, you’ve been spot on all year.****
Correct on all counts, for a change.

Literally lost count of all the dumb shít you’ve said just in this thread, let alone this entire football season.

“6.5 point favorite FSU will probably lose to Florida”

“FSU can’t be in the Top 4 for the CFP cuz their QB got hurt”

“Why can’t the 2nd best team from the 3rd best conference make the playoff?!?!?”

And by the way, even if FSU finishes #5, that’s still 93 spots higher than your boy Steve Spurrier Jr’s offense is currently ranked, in case you’re still thinking folks forgot about that nonsense.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Correct on all counts, for a change.

Literally lost count of all the dumb shít you’ve said just in this thread, let alone this entire football season.

“6.5 point favorite FSU will probably lose to Florida”

“FSU can’t be in the Top 4 for the CFP cuz their QB got hurt”

“Why can’t the 2nd best team from the 3rd best conference make the playoff?!?!?”

And by the way, even if FSU finishes #5, that’s still 93 spots higher than your boy Steve Spurrier Jr’s offense is currently ranked, in case you’re still thinking folks forgot about that nonsense.
Lmao, I usually just skim over your hot air Perd, you’ve shoveled so much manure this year about Arnett and this staff it’s tough to read.

FSU with Tate Rodemaker at qb would get blown off the field against a one loss Ohio State team. I have no idea why you are talking about Tulsa or spurrier jr unless you are still butthurt over all your boasting about this epic BArbay offense blowing up in your face.

Florida could very well beat FSU without Travis, regardless this current FSU team is not one of the four best teams.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Lmao, I usually just skim over your hot air Perd, you’ve shoveled so much manure this year about Arnett and this staff it’s tough to read.
I’m sure for someone like you who obviously can’t read, it is tough to read. I never backed Arnett, Barbay, or the staff anymore than the next guy. Only noted the ridiculousness of your suggestions that the offense was way worse than last year and we should have stuck with the Air Raid and kept the entire previous staff….which your boys Spurrier and Hollinghead heard and thus decided to apparently spend an entire 3 months making you look like a laughingstock….at their own expense. And by the way, as terrible as our offense has been, we are STILL averaging more points per Will Rodgers start than we did last year.
FSU with Tate Rodemaker at qb would get blown off the field against a one loss Ohio State team.
That’s fantastic. But that’s not how the college football playoff works. TCU would have gotten their doors blown off by Alabama last year, too. But believe it or not, the outcomes of the actual football games matter.

I have no idea why you are talking about Tulsa or spurrier jr unless you are still butthurt over all your boasting about this epic BArbay offense blowing up in your face.

Feel free to dig up any links of me calling this an epic offense. I’ll be right here. Hopefully while looking, you can make it through all your Spurrier Jr. and Hollinghead fluff pieces without having to change your underwear.

Florida could very well beat FSU without Travis, regardless this current FSU team is not one of the four best teams.
Again, the committee doesn’t get to just up and decide they aren’t as good as they were before because their QB got hurt. If they beat UF and beat Louisville, they are in. If they don’t do both of those things, they probably aren’t. Its that simple. Could Florida win? Maybe. But putting it at even 25% chance is pretty bold, given how each team has looked this year.

And also…Ohio State in 2014 entered the CFP with their 3rd string QB….what happened there?

• Haha
Reactions: blitz2Win

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
I’m sure for someone like you who obviously can’t read, it is tough to read. I never backed Arnett, Barbay, or the staff anymore than the next guy. Only noted the ridiculousness of your suggestions that the offense was way worse than last year and we should have stuck with the Air Raid and kept the entire previous staff….which your boys Spurrier and Hollinghead heard and thus decided to apparently spend an entire 3 months making you look like a laughingstock….at their own expense. And by the way, as terrible as our offense has been, we are STILL averaging more points per Will Rodgers start than we did last year.

That’s fantastic. But that’s not how the college football playoff works. TCU would have gotten their doors blown off by Alabama last year, too. But believe it or not, the outcomes of the actual football games matter.

Feel free to dig up any links of me calling this an epic offense. I’ll be right here. Hopefully while looking, you can make it through all your Spurrier Jr. and Hollinghead fluff pieces without having to change your underwear.

Again, the committee doesn’t get to just up and decide they aren’t as good as they were before because their QB got hurt. If they beat UF and beat Louisville, they are in. If they don’t do both of those things, they probably aren’t. Ohio State in 2014 entered the CFP with their 3rd string QB….what happened there?
Yep we looked real good out there Perd*. Can’t argue with you there.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There are 2-3 potential scenarios that would cause utter madness for the CFP committee should they happen. It’s fun to consider them all.
My favorite chaos scenario:

1) Michigan / Ohio State winner loses to Iowa
2) Bama beats Auburn and UGA.
3) UGA beats GT
4) Texas loses either to TT or OU / OSU in the Big 12 title game (or loses both)
5) FSU loses to Louisville or UF (or loses both)
6) Oregon beats Oregon State and Washington.
7) Washington beats Washington State

Your playoff:
1) Alabama 12-1 (#1 conference champ)
2) Oregon 12-1 (#2 conference champ)
3) UGA 12-1 (#1 conference runner-up)
4) Washington 12-1 (#2 conference runner-up)

SEC and PAC each get two….B1G, Big 12, and ACC are all shut out. And the only major stretch in that list of events is the first one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coast_Dawg

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
My favorite chaos scenario:

1) Michigan / Ohio State winner loses to Iowa
2) Bama beats Auburn and UGA.
3) UGA beats GT
4) Texas loses either to TT or OU (again) in the Big 12 title game.
5) FSU loses to Louisville or UF
6) Oregon beats Oregon State and Washington.
7) Washington beats Washington State

Your playoff:
1) Alabama 12-1 (#1 conference champ)
2) Oregon 12-1 (#2 conference champ)
3) UGA 12-1 (#1 conference runner-up)
4) Washington 12-1 (#2 conference runner-up)

SEC and PAC each get two….B1G, Big 12, and ACC are all shut out. And the only major stretch in that list of events is the first one.
That would make a lot of people unhappy but would be a funny one. ESPN is obviously weighted heavy on OSU and Michigan based on their predictor.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
What’s funny is the OK UGA game getting cancelled may play into this. If UGA had played and beaten them that would have been a top 15 CFP win. As it stands now, if they lose, the only quality win they have is MO. So with a close loss in the SECCG they could still say they beat 2 top 15 teams, including the team that beat Texas. Of course TX could say we beat a top 4 Bama. Can’t wait for it to be 12 and 20 teams are arguing over this compared to 8.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
What’s funny is the OK UGA game getting cancelled may play into this. If UGA had played and beaten them that would have been a top 15 CFP win. As it stands now, if they lose, the only quality win they have is MO.
You’re forgetting their OM win. I hope that ends up being not a quality win because it means we beat that azz on Thursday. But, OM is currently #12. Mizzou is #9. Tennessee will also be a Top 20 win after its all said and done….they are #21, finish with Vandy, and have a little bit of guaranteed upheaval in front of them.

UGA with those 3 wins and only loss being to a CFP Bama team is going to still be the best resume of any 1-loss nonchamp team….and might wind up being better than a few conference champions with 1 loss (FSU if they lose, Texas).

Reactions: mcdawg22

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You’re forgetting their OM win. I hope that ends up being not a quality win because it means we beat that azz on Thursday. But, OM is currently #12. Mizzou is #9. Tennessee will also be a Top 20 win after its all said and done….they are #21, finish with Vandy, and have a little bit of guaranteed upheaval in front of them.

UGA with those 3 wins and only loss being to a CFP Bama team is going to still be the best resume of any 1-loss nonchamp team….and might wind up being better than a few conference champions with 1 loss (FSU if they lose, Texas).
I don't think any of that will matter. I don't think any conference has shown enough this year to justify putting a team that didn't win their conference in the playoffs.

You're most likely going to have an undefeated Big 10 champ. Even if you assume FSU stumbles, then you still probably have a 1 loss champion in the PAC12 and they're strong enough to be guaranteed to get in. If UGA wins out, then maybe you can justify skipping over UTex for the 2nd Big 10 team? But if Bama wins and UGA and Bama both finish 12-1, I think that win over Bama guarantees UTex won't get left out. Being so early in the year would normally make it carry less weight, but I just don't think the politics would let you put UGA and Bama in over a one loss UTex that beat Bama, and the politics would be even tricker with a 1-loss Big10 team and a 1-loss SEC team with an argument for leapfrogging UTex.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think any of that will matter. I don't think any conference has shown enough this year to justify putting a team that didn't win their conference in the playoffs.
I generally agree. Overall I was just saying I don’t think that the cancelled OU game changed anything for UGA….their path is the same regardless. A 4th win against a Top 20 team wouldn’t move the needle much. If the chalk holds, UGA is probably on the outside looking in if they don’t beat Bama.

However, it may come to some non-champs getting spots. And not just UGA….also Washington if they lose to Oregon in the championship game to finish 12-1.

Its not impossible for FSU to lose to Louisville with their backup QB, making the ACC champ a 2-loss team. Also not impossible for Texas to lose to TT this weekend, which would likely make the Big 12 title a bedlam rematch and ensuring their champ would be a 2-loss team thats not in the Top 10. Or, Texas could beat TT but then lose to Oklahoma State or OU in the title game, and its the same situation.

You're most likely going to have an undefeated Big 10 champ. Even if you assume FSU stumbles, then you still probably have a 1 loss champion in the PAC12 and they're strong enough to be guaranteed to get in.
Agreed on both counts. But on the 2nd one, I’d clarify that its the same for the SEC. Undefeated or 1-loss SEC is guaranteed to be in. Its the strongest league.

If UGA wins out, then maybe you can justify skipping over UTex for the 2nd Big 10 team?
Don’t see this happening at all. People don’t understand how bad the Big 10 is. Only the 3rd best league and it’s only rated that highly based on the strength of OSU / UM. Heading into the final weekend, 10 of 14 teams in the Big 10 are 6-5 or worse. It’s just not a good league. Whoever loses between OSU / Michigan isn’t going to have any quality wins on their resume that move the needle for the committee. That’s why the loser of OSU / Michigan is going to drop like a rock in the final rankings.

But if Bama wins and UGA and Bama both finish 12-1, I think that win over Bama guarantees UTex won't get left out.

Depends on what happens with FSU. They’ve gotta lose to open that door for Texas. Either way, a 12-1 Bama is 100% in. Texas might be in with them. But if it comes down to just one of them, it will be Bama.

Being so early in the year would normally make it carry less weight, but I just don't think the politics would let you put UGA and Bama in over a one loss UTex that beat Bama,
Generally agree, but we’ll see. The problem Texas has is that they have the Bama win, but not much else to hang their hat on. Next best win is Kansas State, who is #19 (and could drop further with a loss to ISU). They play in a weak league (4th rated in conference strength), and they’ve looked pretty mediocre for about a month straight. Their loss to OU is also the worst loss of any of the 8 teams in the hunt for a CFP bid. They need to beat TT, look good doing it, and root for an OSU loss and OU win so that they can right that wrong in the Big 12 title game. They also need to be rooting against FSU. They probably have nothing to worry about at all if they TCB and FSU doesn’t.

The caveat - if OSU is the B12CG opponent, that’s going to be just another not Top 20 win for Texas. UGA vs. Texas resume would look like this:

UGA:
12-1
Runner-up from #1 league
Best win - Mizzou (#9)
Worst loss - Bama (#2~#3)
Quality wins - 3 (#9 Mizzou, #12 OM, #17~18 UT)

Texas:
12-1
Champion from #4 league
Best win - Bama (#2~3)
Worst loss - OU (#13)
Quality wins - Bama, maybe KSU (#19~20)

It’s pretty close. Close enough to where it would come down to the nuance of the games themselves. Is the SECCG a Bama blow-out, or does UGA barely lose in Double OT? What about the B12CG?

and the politics would be even tricker with a 1-loss Big10 team and a 1-loss SEC team with an argument for leapfrogging UTex.
I don’t think it’s tricky at all for the 1-loss B1G. Texas would get the nod. It gets more messy if you have a 1-loss Washington in there.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I generally agree. Overall I was just saying I don’t think that the cancelled OU game changed anything for UGA….their path is the same regardless. A 4th win against a Top 20 team wouldn’t move the needle much. If the chalk holds, UGA is probably on the outside looking in if they don’t beat Bama.

However, it may come to some non-champs getting spots. And not just UGA….also Washington if they lose to Oregon in the championship game to finish 12-1.

Its not impossible for FSU to lose to Louisville with their backup QB, making the ACC champ a 2-loss team. Also not impossible for Texas to lose to TT this weekend, which would likely make the Big 12 title a bedlam rematch and ensuring their champ would be a 2-loss team thats not in the Top 10. Or, Texas could beat TT but then lose to Oklahoma State or OU in the title game, and its the same situation.

Agreed on both counts. But on the 2nd one, I’d clarify that its the same for the SEC. Undefeated or 1-loss SEC is guaranteed to be in. Its the strongest league.

I would agree that no-doubt a 1-loss SEC champion gets in.

Don’t see this happening at all. People don’t understand how bad the Big 10 is. Only the 3rd best league and it’s only rated that highly based on the strength of OSU / UM. Heading into the final weekend, 10 of 14 teams in the Big 10 are 6-5 or worse. It’s just not a good league. Whoever loses between OSU / Michigan isn’t going to have any quality wins on their resume that move the needle for the committee. That’s why the loser of OSU / Michigan is going to drop like a rock in the final rankings.

After looking their schedules, I would agree neither team would have any argument with one loss. I guess OSU played Notre Dame. Not much but they at least tried to put a good non-conference game on the schedule.

Depends on what happens with FSU. They’ve gotta lose to open that door for Texas. Either way, a 12-1 Bama is 100% in. Texas might be in with them. But if it comes down to just one of them, it will be Bama.

Generally agree, but we’ll see. The problem Texas has is that they have the Bama win, but not much else to hang their hat on. Next best win is Kansas State, who is #19 (and could drop further with a loss to ISU). They play in a weak league (4th rated in conference strength), and they’ve looked pretty mediocre for about a month straight. Their loss to OU is also the worst loss of any of the 8 teams in the hunt for a CFP bid. They need to beat TT, look good doing it, and root for an OSU loss and OU win so that they can right that wrong in the Big 12 title game. They also need to be rooting against FSU. They probably have nothing to worry about at all if they TCB and FSU doesn’t.

The caveat - if OSU is the B12CG opponent, that’s going to be just another not Top 20 win for Texas. UGA vs. Texas resume would look like this:

UGA:
12-1
Runner-up from #1 league
Best win - Mizzou (#9)
Worst loss - Bama (#2~#3)
Quality wins - 3 (#9 Mizzou, #12 OM, #17~18 UT)

Texas:
12-1
Champion from #4 league
Best win - Bama (#2~3)
Worst loss - OU (#13)
Quality wins - Bama, maybe KSU (#19~20)

It’s pretty close. Close enough to where it would come down to the nuance of the games themselves. Is the SECCG a Bama blow-out, or does UGA barely lose in Double OT? What about the B12CG?
I don't disagree with any of this per se but even if UTex misses the chance to play OU again, I think a ten point win on the road against Bama is going to make them safe if it comes down to a 12-1 UT and a 12-1 UGA. Probably shouldn't put that much weight on one game just because it involved a mutual opponent, and I think the playoff committee appears to have mostly avoided politics, but I think that would be a bridge too far.

I don’t think it’s tricky at all for the 1-loss B1G. Texas would get the nod. It gets more messy if you have a 1-loss Washington in there.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don't disagree with any of this per se but even if UTex misses the chance to play OU again, I think a ten point win on the road against Bama is going to make them safe if it comes down to a 12-1 UT and a 12-1 UGA. Probably shouldn't put that much weight on one game just because it involved a mutual opponent, and I think the playoff committee appears to have mostly avoided politics, but I think that would be a bridge too far.
I think this is all very accurate. At gunpoint, I think the committee would use the Bama result as the tiebreaker between Texas and UGA, under normal circumstances where there were no crazy fluke outcomes or controversial calls or no-calls in either championship game. That plus the known weight that the committee puts on a conference title likely tilts it to Texas.

But, its very, very close. Much closer than the TCU / Alabama argument was last year, and many people still think the wrong decision was made there. And if you add a 12-1 nonchamp Washington in there, it only gets more interesting. They’d have a win over Oregon that would end up being just as good as the Texas win over Bama, wins over Top 16 teams Arizona and Oregon State, that would both be better than Texas’ #2 and #3 wins potentially, and their only loss to a CFP team. And they will have beaten everyone on their schedule, just like TCU last year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login