The next round of realignment is where we get left out

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
We're all watching this and it appears that at least Oregon State and Washington State are going to be left out. We make it this time, but a decade from now is when I have a feeling we don't.

Here's what I hope happens (and you should too if you want State to be playing at the highest level of college athletics):

The ACC needs to survive, the Big 12 need to thrive.

If the ACC breaks up, there is another round of attractive teams, and they'll be more teams left out. The Big 12 is looking okay right now - it would be in our best interest for more great football to come out of that group, and they live up to what could be a strong basketball conference.

Fans and alumni have to be vocal against this radical realignment (looking at the Pac 12 schools)

The travel is going to be terrible for the old Pac 12 schools - even the ones in the Big 12. This needs to be a disaster for the non-revenue sports and cause issues.

Either FOX or ESPN (or both) need to lose their *** on these deals

If these deals make the kind of money that is being expected, the 2032 negotiations are going to go like this:

USC-Ohio State every year is awesome.
Texas-Georgia and Oklahoma-Florida is awesome.
Hey, Clemson and Florida State need to get in on this.
What about a B1G-SEC crossover weekend?
Everyone loves TCU and the Arizona schools, and maybe Utah and Colorado. lets bring them into the fold. The rest of the Big 12 can go to the G5.
Why do we even need Indiana? Oh, basketball. Okay.
How about Vanderbilt and Northwestern? To maintain this is about academics?
Missouri sucks in everything. Oh, they have the best journalism school in the nation and all of the execs went to school there?
Well who can we get rid of? We need to slim down a little.
How about Rutgers? No one in NYC really cares about them.
How about Arkansas? Its hard to get to.
Jerry Jones, Jr. wrote us a check.
How about the Mississippi schools?
That's perfect
What about tradition? They were charter members of the SEC?
Wazzu and Oregon State were charter members of the Pac-8, and they are doing fine in the Group of 5. The Sun Belt will be happy to take them.
Anyone else?
How about we add UCF and South Florida in their spot. Big alumni bases, and there is a writer at the Orlando Sentinel that has had this idea for 20 years.
I thought this was about slimming down?
No, its about making money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darryl Steight

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
We're all watching this and it appears that at least Oregon State and Washington State are going to be left out. We make it this time, but a decade from now is when I have a feeling we don't.

Here's what I hope happens (and you should too if you want State to be playing at the highest level of college athletics):

If the ACC breaks up, there is another round of attractive teams, and they'll be more teams left out. The Big 12 is looking okay right now - it would be in our best interest for more great football to come out of that group, and they live up to what could be a strong basketball conference.

Fans and alumni have to be vocal against this radical realignment (looking at the Pac 12 schools)

The travel is going to be terrible for the old Pac 12 schools - even the ones in the Big 12. This needs to be a disaster for the non-revenue sports and cause issues.

If these deals make the kind of money that is being expected, the 2032 negotiations are going to go like this:

Everyone loves TCU and the Arizona schools, and maybe Utah and Colorado. lets bring them into the fold. The rest of the Big 12 can go to the G5.
Missouri sucks in everything. Oh, they have the best journalism school in the nation and all of the execs went to school there?
That's perfect
Wazzu and Oregon State were charter members of the Pac-8, and they are doing fine in the Group of 5. The Sun Belt will be happy to take them.
Anyone else?
How about we add UCF and South Florida in their spot. Big alumni bases, and there is a writer at the Orlando Sentinel that has had this idea for 20 years.
vandy would be the 1st to go we will never go.

Reactions: onewoof

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
We will never be kicked out of the SEC.
I agree.

But what if the SEC doesn't exist after the next round of negotiations? That's been my prediction for a decade. The 2032-34 negotiations are going to get rid of conferences altogether. Notre Dame has done it. Texas figured out how to do it without going independent. The rest of major college football will in 2032.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I agree.

But what if the SEC doesn't exist after the next round of negotiations? That's been my prediction for a decade. The 2032-34 negotiations are going to get rid of conferences altogether. Notre Dame has done it. Texas figured out how to do it without going independent. The rest of major college football will in 2032.
Do you really think with the SEC dominance and “SEC” chants that the powers that be are just going to let the league be dissolved for a no-name super conference? Not gonna happen

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
We will never be kicked out of the SEC, however, there's a slim chance we might not make a football super conference. Depends on how many teams are in it. 32?, 40. 50, etc. Hard to say what will eventually happen, but I will say this......I will buy the same tickets and provide the same support to MSU as I have for the last 40 years. Regardless of what level our football team plays in, I will be there the same as always. Even if we end up relegated to a level below the top one, the competition will still be very stiff and a lot of good teams to go up against.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Do you really think with the SEC dominance and “SEC” chants that the powers that be are just going to let the league be dissolved for a no-name super conference? Not gonna happen
I really do.

It will be branded as simple as "College Football"

ESPN and FOX execs are going to say "If we have to pay $2 billion, we need more marquee matchups."
The schools are going to say "I'm Ohio State/Michigan/Alabama/Texas. Why the hell am I getting the same check as teams that garner 1/100th of the views I do?"
Alabama, Florida, and Georgia are going to put out statements that say "The Mississippi schools are valued members of the Southeastern Conference, where we honor tradition ... " Shad White is going to get on camera and say "The SEC was founded right here in Jackson and as your governor we will fight to keep our schools in the SEC" and we're going to eat it up, all while the networks are meeting those schools in an Atlanta hotel with an offer of $250 million a year to broadcast their games if they sign on.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think a lot of people are overestimating the chances of the SEC, Big 10 and several of the networks cooperating. Everyone will look out for their own best interest. SEC and Big 10 will fight over the ACC prime targets. They’ll probably split them and we’ll be pretty much where we are today except there will be a lot of ACC remnants that will either ally with the Big 12 or more likely raid AAC for a few schools.

Reactions: eckie1

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
We will never be kicked out of the SEC, however, there's a slim chance we might not make a football super conference. Depends on how many teams are in it. 32?, 40. 50, etc. Hard to say what will eventually happen, but I will say this......I will buy the same tickets and provide the same support to MSU as I have for the last 40 years. Regardless of what level our football team plays in, I will be there the same as always. Even if we end up relegated to a level below the top one, the competition will still be very stiff and a lot of good teams to go up against.
You are getting it.

I think the number will be 24. No way we make it.
It could be 32, and if we have success over the next decade, maybe.
It will be no bigger than 40. We'd be debated but would probably slip in.

The networks don't care. You are going to have an app on your TV with your school's logo on it.

The SEC and Big Ten will fight. It will be nasty. And then the networks will realize that they don't need the conferences. They need 24 presidents and they can write big checks.

The SEC deal is going to be close to $70 million for 16 schools every year. The B1G deal is $90 million for each of the 20 schools every year. You take that $4 billion and give it directly to 24 schools and each school is getting almost twice as much. The SEC and B1G will be irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: dorndawg

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Vandy is usually the highest rated academic institution in the conference, so I wouldn’t be that sure. But, neither of us can get kicked out of the conference.

The only way we’d get left out is if a new super conference is created that’s not the SEC. And, if that ever happens, most schools will be left out anyway…

patdog

May 28, 2007
The only way we’d get left out is if a new super conference is created that’s not the SEC. And, if that ever happens, most schools will be left out anyway…
Exactly. And even if that eventually does happen, we’ll still be in a pretty decent conference. Roughly similar to what the Big 12 is today (after losing TX & OK and adding the 4 PAC schools).

Reactions: eckie1

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
You are getting it.

I think the number will be 24. No way we make it.
It could be 32, and if we have success over the next decade, maybe.
It will be no bigger than 40. We'd be debated but would probably slip in.

The networks don't care. You are going to have an app on your TV with your school's logo on it.

The SEC and Big Ten will fight. It will be nasty. And then the networks will realize that they don't need the conferences. They need 24 presidents and they can write big checks.

The SEC deal is going to be close to $70 million for 16 schools every year. The B1G deal is $90 million for each of the 20 schools every year. You take that $4 billion and give it directly to 24 schools and each school is getting almost twice as much. The SEC and B1G will be irrelevant.
This is maybe a sidebar, but is the American consumer going to shell out $4 billion to watch minor league football?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
College football is not the NFL and never will be. People who watch the NFL don’t want another NFL, this has been proven by many failed attempts at an alternate league. If you cut all but the top teams out, you’re cutting a large fan base of college football.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
College football is not the NFL and never will be. People who watch the NFL don’t want another NFL, this has been proven by many failed attempts at an alternate league. If you cut all but the top teams out, you’re cutting a large fan base of college football.
I agree. I hope its true and this experiment fails. My worry is that the fans couldn't care less and will continue consuming at a high level.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I agree.

At what point do these big schools come to realization that like a 32 team league would not be that exciting? That’s where we are headed,it feels.

Reactions: Maroon13

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
Y’all need to stop with the Mississippi state leaving the SEC nonsense.IMG_8425.jpeg

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Y’all need to stop with the Mississippi state leaving the SEC nonsense.View attachment 379717
First, I covered this. Governor Shad White will appear on an X video standing beside this sign.
Second, we will still be in the SEC - but the SEC will not be playing at the highest level of college football.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I think we are on the verge of some government interference over antitrust issues. I don’t think a super conference is going to be allowed to form involving public institutions. My guess is neither conference goes beyond 20 teams.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
The big boys need a doormat. Especially as the conference adds high value teams, which means high level recruiting. They see us as one of them. I agree with @mcfly.sixpack - we ain't leaving the SEC.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
The big boys need a doormat. Especially as the conference adds high value teams, which means high level recruiting. They see us as one of them. I agree with @mcfly.sixpack - we ain't leaving the SEC.
Imagine you are the President of the University of Alabama. Your enrollment is 65,000, fueled by 25 years of football dominance. You know these negotiations are happening. The B1G wants to go to $110 million per team and the SEC wants $100 million.

You take an "off the record" call with Ron DeSantis, President of Disney. Ron floats the idea about this 24-team college football league. Instead of paying what the conferences want, they'll give the 24 schools $175 million each. "You'll have full stadiums every weekend! You can sell liquor and marijuana and those new $20 Dub Lights, and they will use your official in-game gambling app. You'll make another $100 million!!!"

You call your buddy, the president of Ohio State, who holograms Michigan and Penn State into the conversation. You conference in LSU, Florida and Georgia, because you don't understand this new technology. Texas has spies and contacts Florida State to see what Florida is up to. Georgia texts Florida a meme of a frog dancing in Bitcoin.

USC and UCLA still don't really care about college football, but its Hollywood, so they are in. Add Notre Dame and we are at 17. "We need seven more." The president of Texas is a kooky numerology focused feminist lesbian and google's the number 17 as it relates to college football.

"I think we should take Mississippi State," she says. "I have a good feeling about it." The other 16 laugh and say - nah, we'll take Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Michigan State, Clemson, Wisconsin and just to mess with everyone - UCF.

Nebraska and Auburn fans go crazy on the internet.

Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Imagine you are the President of the University of Alabama. Your enrollment is 65,000, fueled by 25 years of football dominance. You know these negotiations are happening. The B1G wants to go to $110 million per team and the SEC wants $100 million.

You take an "off the record" call with Ron DeSantis, President of Disney. Ron floats the idea about this 24-team college football league. Instead of paying what the conferences want, they'll give the 24 schools $175 million each. "You'll have full stadiums every weekend! You can sell liquor and marijuana and those new $20 Dub Lights, and they will use your official in-game gambling app. You'll make another $100 million!!!"

You call your buddy, the president of Ohio State, who holograms Michigan and Penn State into the conversation. You conference in Florida and Georgia, because you don't understand this new technology. Texas has spies and contacts Florida State to see what Florida is up to. Georgia texts Florida a meme of a frog dancing in Bitcoin.

USC and UCLA still don't really care about college football, but its Hollywood, so they are in. Add Notre Dame and we are at 17. "We need seven more." The president of Texas is a kooky numerology focused feminist lesbian and google's the number 17 as it relates to college football.

"I think we should take Mississippi State," she says. "I have a good feeling about it." The other 16 laugh and say - nah, we'll take Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Michigan State, Clemson, Wisconsin and just to mess with everyone - UCF.

Nebraska and Auburn fans go crazy on the internet.
Mayor Goldie Wilson’s phone rings off the hook!!***

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

That's perfect
Anyone else?
Where's that dislike button. You could at least give us the meme/gif to always use for these posts.

Bad_Post.jpg.jpg

Dip No GIF by Death In Paradise

Reactions: Darryl Steight

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
In every situation, someone has to titled under, Victim.
They will need people to beat, most of the time.
I think we will be Ok.
Only so many places at the top. And College Football will eventually come to it's senses.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bad take. What you are talking about is 40 years from actually happening at best. King Jackie was talking about 4 conferences of 20 teams in the 80s, and even that hasn’t fully happened. We will all be dead by the time MSU suffers a fate anything like you talk about.

The next realignment will be centered around the ACC, and will take place when breaking their grant of rights becomes feasible. The ACC will then raid a few schools and become much like the Big 12. But They will survive.

Big 2, Little 2, G5. That model will probably go on for a while, maybe even 15-20 years. Then something else will happen we’ve never thought of.

Enjoy the money. Or don’t. Worry yourself to death if you choose. But you’re talking Chicken Little level shlt. Mississippi hasnt made many good decisions in its history, but helping start the SEC was one good one, and we’re reaping the rewards.

Grown *** men out here worrying about doomsday, pathetic

Last edited:

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
Well there needs to be One private school in every conference to bypass the reporting accountability and....because one member of the conference is a private school, the SEC is considered private.....

how do I know this you ask? I was the student representativ on the first SEC expansion exploration committee....we had three meetings in Nashville the 10 AD's one faculty rep and one student rep....

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
USC and UCLA still don't really care about college football, but its Hollywood, so they are in.
I don't know about UCLA, but USC DOES care about football. If they didn't, they never would have made the move to the Big 10. That move was ALL about football and football ONLY.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is maybe a sidebar, but is the American consumer going to shell out $4 billion to watch minor league football?
Heck no, the system will collapse from an apolcalypse like that. When it ceases to be national, interest wanes. If anything, the B1G may have helped this bc the PAC-12 was just dead on its on. The expanded playoff definitely does.

There’s already an NFL. Don’t need another one. Copycat leagues have never worked.

Reactions: dorndawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
As a founding member of the conference, we are in forever.
I think the point is the SEC might not exist in 20 years. You that say it will never happen because of being a founding member are gullible as hell and have an over extended sense of the importance of being a founding member. Msu is small potatoes to this conference in everything that matters to these presidents and ADs. Money and football. If something changes in 10-20 years we won't be apart of the most dominant college football conference anymore but at that point it will be what it always is the same 6-7 teams playing for championships year in and out. We just won't be getting the money share anymore

Reactions: Maroon13 and eckie1

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I'm sure all of USM's 12 fans said this as well.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I don't know about UCLA, but USC DOES care about football. If they didn't, they never would have made the move to the Big 10. That move was ALL about football and football ONLY.
That deal was about money. If they cared they would have stayed so they could dominate that conference and actually be able to beat Tulane in a bowl game

Sep 12, 2013
There’s just absolutely no reason for State to get kicked out of the SEC. It’s something that will never happen.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
My prevailing theory has always been that the SEC exists for all sports and we will continue to be a part of it. It will be dominated in all sports by the 8-9 schools that do not play football in the SEC, but play in this super league.

If the Alabama, Georgia, Texas crew is making $150 MM+ through this super league, and we are back to making $30 MM or so, being in the SEC isn't going to be a lot of fun.

My hope is that this round o expansion fails completely and we go back to a regional conference model.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login