The next round of realignment is where we get left out

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
I believe CFB will hit a point of diminishing profits before this happens. Right now I watch Mississippi State, then other SEC schools and I would pay to watch them if it came to that. I don't care about Big 10, Big 12, or any others and wouldn't pay for it. If the top 25 broke away and only played each other then I'd watch State and the NFL and screw the rest of CFB.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
My prevailing theory has always been that the SEC exists for all sports and we will continue to be a part of it. It will be dominated in all sports by the 8-9 schools that do not play football in the SEC, but play in this super league.

If the Alabama, Georgia, Texas crew is making $150 MM+ through this super league, and we are back to making $30 MM or so, being in the SEC isn't going to be a lot of fun.

My hope is that this round o expansion fails completely and we go back to a regional conference model.
At some point you need enough teams to create the inventory required to command the big dollars. If it gets cut to 24, there aren't enough teams to play enough games.

The only way the top tier gets cut below 48-60 is there aren't that many schools that want to fund the program to the level required to be in the pseudo professional football business when the players are employees, there's a CBA in place, and they're getting a cut of the TV revenue, etc.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We're Charter Members. You know how many people elsewhere in the SEC know that? Me either. State could join CUSA and I'd still go to games and support them.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Rename this A Sixpack Fairy Tale. It ain't happening.
Go back in time to a Washington State message board when Leach had them winning 11 games a year and tell them that within a decade they, a founding member of the Pacific 8, will be in the Mountain West.

it will look a lot like this thread. This current realignment needs to be a complete failure because the next step is a 24-32 team super conference.

TV executives run college football now.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I think the point is the SEC might not exist in 20 years. You that say it will never happen because of being a founding member are gullible as hell and have an over extended sense of the importance of being a founding member. Msu is small potatoes to this conference in everything that matters to these presidents and ADs. Money and football. If something changes in 10-20 years we won't be apart of the most dominant college football conference anymore but at that point it will be what it always is the same 6-7 teams playing for championships year in and out. We just won't be getting the money share anymore
This is OT, but I think it would be really cool to see a relegation concept like they have in the big soccer leagues. No chance in hell it happens, but would make things very interesting.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
At some point you need enough teams to create the inventory required to command the big dollars. If it gets cut to 24, there aren't enough teams to play enough games.

The only way the top tier gets cut below 48-60 is there aren't that many schools that want to fund the program to the level required to be in the pseudo professional football business when the players are employees, there's a CBA in place, and they're getting a cut of the TV revenue, etc.
Its actually easier with 24. Let me spell it out.

South
-----
Alabama
Georgia
LSU
Tennessee
Florida
Texas A&M

West
------
USC
UCLA
Washington
Oregon
Texas
Oklahoma

Midwest
------
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Notre Dame
Nebraska

East
------
Clemson
Penn State
Florida State
Virginia
North Carolina
UCF

Everyone plays the other 5 in their division and rotates 2 from each of the other divisions. A 12th game will be allowed to be played against a non-Power team.

Alabama's schedule could look like this:

Auburn (non-power game)
Georgia
LSU
Tennessee
Florida
Texas A&M
USC
Texas
Ohio State
Michigan
Clemson
Penn State

No way they don't get 80 million views in a season. Might even crack 100 million. For comparison, Alabama had 60 million viewers last year. Ohio State led the nation with just under 70 million. We had 12 million. Michigan State - Michigan and Tennessee-Georgia both had over 13 million views for one game. We had 12 million in the entire season. Ole Miss had 21 million with practically the same schedule. Our Pac 12 after dark game hurt us a little. From 2015-19 we averaged 15.7 million. That's 29th in that metric. Like I said above, we are in the discussion in a 32 team league, probably in if its 40 (although we were under 10 million viewers in 2021, 43rd)

That's just me stabbing at the 24. TCU, Maryland, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State were all in the top 25 for most views last year. TCU was probably an outlier last year.

Oh, and schools like Southern Miss? 192,000 people watched a USM game last year in an entire season - with all new opponents and excitement around the Sun Belt.

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I agree it will be a decade or more before this happens. However I Think 615 is right on in that IF the SEC dissolves, it will be because the blue bloods made back room deals directly with the networks. Because as he said, why make $60-70 million a year when you can double that.

I really think that is where college football will be by 2040... maybe 2050. About 30-40 schools in a new league to themselves. Oh.... and it will work. 17 million people watched MIchigan v OHSt this year. 22 million watched the semi finals. Over 6million watched Alabama/Auburn. ....and so on. We, State fans may lose interest, but enough people will still watch.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That deal was about money. If they cared they would have stayed so they could dominate that conference and actually be able to beat Tulane in a bowl game
Of course it was about money. That means when it comes to college athletics, FOOTBALL. Football is the money maker that supports all the rest of it.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
And I am not trying to be doom and gloom. I am a very analytical, logical person. I always ask why something is happening. I'm probably a moron to most of you but there are numbers that should worry us if this is successful for the networks.

Conference realignment is all about money. The questions being asked now are why do you have schools like USC and UCLA making $30 million when Northwestern and Purdue are making $90 million? Why is Florida State making $40 million and Vanderbilt is getting $70 million. Those answers are leading to this round of conference realignment.

The next question is going to be Ohio State and Alabama asking why they are getting the same amount as Indiana and Mississippi State when they are getting more views in one week than those schools are getting in an entire season.

Dark, dark times ahead.

Reactions: RiceDawg

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The Saudi's will be running college football in five years and every game will be on a PPV platform.

It's all being negotiated as we type.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
The Saudi's will be running college football in five years and every game will be on a PPV platform.

It's all being negotiated as we type.
That Florida State deal is going to be interesting to watch. If that is successful it might not take a decade.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think the point is the SEC might not exist in 20 years. You that say it will never happen because of being a founding member are gullible as hell and have an over extended sense of the importance of being a founding member. Msu is small potatoes to this conference in everything that matters to these presidents and ADs. Money and football. If something changes in 10-20 years we won't be apart of the most dominant college football conference anymore but at that point it will be what it always is the same 6-7 teams playing for championships year in and out. We just won't be getting the money share anymore
In 20 years I will be closing in on 80. Football will probably be the least of my worries if I am still alive.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Its actually easier with 24. Let me spell it out.

South
-----
Alabama
Georgia
LSU
Tennessee
Florida
Texas A&M

West
------
USC
UCLA
Washington
Oregon
Texas
Oklahoma

Midwest
------
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Notre Dame
Nebraska

East
------
Clemson
Penn State
Florida State
Virginia
North Carolina
UCF

Everyone plays the other 5 in their division and rotates 2 from each of the other divisions. A 12th game will be allowed to be played against a non-Power team.

Alabama's schedule could look like this:

Auburn (non-power game)
Georgia
LSU
Tennessee
Florida
Texas A&M
USC
Texas
Ohio State
Michigan
Clemson
Penn State

No way they don't get 80 million views in a season. Might even crack 100 million. For comparison, Alabama had 60 million viewers last year. Ohio State led the nation with just under 70 million. We had 12 million. Michigan State - Michigan and Tennessee-Georgia both had over 13 million views for one game. We had 12 million in the entire season. Ole Miss had 21 million with practically the same schedule. Our Pac 12 after dark game hurt us a little. From 2015-19 we averaged 15.7 million. That's 29th in that metric. Like I said above, we are in the discussion in a 32 team league, probably in if its 40 (although we were under 10 million viewers in 2021, 43rd)

That's just me stabbing at the 24. TCU, Maryland, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State were all in the top 25 for most views last year. TCU was probably an outlier last year.

Oh, and schools like Southern Miss? 192,000 people watched a USM game last year in an entire season - with all new opponents and excitement around the Sun Belt.
Jimmy Fallon Waiting GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You are getting it.

I think the number will be 24. No way we make it.
It could be 32, and if we have success over the next decade, maybe.
It will be no bigger than 40. We'd be debated but would probably slip in.

The networks don't care. You are going to have an app on your TV with your school's logo on it.

The SEC and Big Ten will fight. It will be nasty. And then the networks will realize that they don't need the conferences. They need 24 presidents and they can write big checks.

The SEC deal is going to be close to $70 million for 16 schools every year. The B1G deal is $90 million for each of the 20 schools every year. You take that $4 billion and give it directly to 24 schools and each school is getting almost twice as much. The SEC and B1G will be irrelevant.
There’s no way the number is 24. If, IF it is, we’ll be in a second league that still garners revenue and is very competitive.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
All we have to do is show the TV executives THE BEST COLLEGE BASEBALL STADIUM IN WORLD. They will be so impressed that we’ll be fine. Who cares about tv viewers for football. Look at that baseball stadium

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I mean… I guess my first reaction is “so?”

There is absolutely nothing we can do about it if/when the super league ever happens and life is just too 17ing short to worry about it until it happens.

I won’t start suddenly loving State less if they’re no longer in a power conference.

Reactions: patdog and Maroon13

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Go back in time to a Washington State message board when Leach had them winning 11 games a year and tell them that within a decade they, a founding member of the Pacific 8, will be in the Mountain West.
Uh, they had one 11 win season and followed it up with a losing season. In Mike's 8 seasons there, they had 4 winning seasons and 4 losing seasons.

Comparing the Pac 12 to the SEC is like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Range Rover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
In football, they may be moving to a "premier league" type situation where teams have to play into. That would leave us out.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
You are getting it.

I think the number will be 24. No way we make it.
It could be 32, and if we have success over the next decade, maybe.
It will be no bigger than 40. We'd be debated but would probably slip in.

The networks don't care. You are going to have an app on your TV with your school's logo on it.

The SEC and Big Ten will fight. It will be nasty. And then the networks will realize that they don't need the conferences. They need 24 presidents and they can write big checks.

The SEC deal is going to be close to $70 million for 16 schools every year. The B1G deal is $90 million for each of the 20 schools every year. You take that $4 billion and give it directly to 24 schools and each school is getting almost twice as much. The SEC and B1G will be irrelevant.

No way it's a smaller number of teams than the NFL at 32. The schedule and footprint doesn't make sense.

I think it's at least 40, and probably closer to 60 teams after the next round.

Reactions: RiverCityDawg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The problem here is that y’all think winning has anything to do with it. The day is coming where TV executives will decide who is in and out and trust me they aren’t looking at the last decade of AP Polls.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
One thing I don’t understand about this line of thinking is why people think college football is going to become more exclusive. If anything, the power 5 has grown and become more inclusive. Just off the top of my head I can think of Utah, TCU, Houston, UCF, Cincinnati, BYU, that have moved from independent or non power conferences in the last decade or so (Utah and tcu may have been slighter longer than a decade). It obviously looks questionable right now for Washington state, Oregon state, Stanford and Cal but I’m willing to let it play out before I freak out.

Reactions: Dawgg

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
College football is not the NFL and never will be. People who watch the NFL don’t want another NFL, this has been proven by many failed attempts at an alternate league. If you cut all but the top teams out, you’re cutting a large fan base of college football.
I really think TV execs would be greatly overestimating the ratings if you exclude half the schools. High dollar College sports is uniquely American, and the only reason so many watch is out of loyalty to their own school, and the fact that 100+ schools are all in the same ‘league’ or ‘level’. If MSU is relegated down, I will rarely if ever watch the 32 super teams. In my mind it will become the same as Premier League, NHL, XFL, etc. Things I put on if nothing else is on, but since I don’t have a local or favorite team will rarely ever watch and definitely don’t care strongly about. The 70+ ‘non-super’ teams add up to a lot of eyeballs.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
We're all watching this and it appears that at least Oregon State and Washington State are going to be left out. We make it this time, but a decade from now is when I have a feeling we don't.

Here's what I hope happens (and you should too if you want State to be playing at the highest level of college athletics):

The ACC needs to survive, the Big 12 need to thrive.

If the ACC breaks up, there is another round of attractive teams, and they'll be more teams left out. The Big 12 is looking okay right now - it would be in our best interest for more great football to come out of that group, and they live up to what could be a strong basketball conference.

Fans and alumni have to be vocal against this radical realignment (looking at the Pac 12 schools)

The travel is going to be terrible for the old Pac 12 schools - even the ones in the Big 12. This needs to be a disaster for the non-revenue sports and cause issues.

Either FOX or ESPN (or both) need to lose their *** on these deals

If these deals make the kind of money that is being expected, the 2032 negotiations are going to go like this:

USC-Ohio State every year is awesome.
Texas-Georgia and Oklahoma-Florida is awesome.
Hey, Clemson and Florida State need to get in on this.
What about a B1G-SEC crossover weekend?
Everyone loves TCU and the Arizona schools, and maybe Utah and Colorado. lets bring them into the fold. The rest of the Big 12 can go to the G5.
Why do we even need Indiana? Oh, basketball. Okay.
How about Vanderbilt and Northwestern? To maintain this is about academics?
Missouri sucks in everything. Oh, they have the best journalism school in the nation and all of the execs went to school there?
Well who can we get rid of? We need to slim down a little.
How about Rutgers? No one in NYC really cares about them.
How about Arkansas? Its hard to get to.
Jerry Jones, Jr. wrote us a check.
How about the Mississippi schools?
That's perfect
What about tradition? They were charter members of the SEC?
Wazzu and Oregon State were charter members of the Pac-8, and they are doing fine in the Group of 5. The Sun Belt will be happy to take them.
Anyone else?
How about we add UCF and South Florida in their spot. Big alumni bases, and there is a writer at the Orlando Sentinel that has had this idea for 20 years.
I thought this was about slimming down?
No, its about making money.
I swear some of our fans just constantly look for reasons to **** on us.

We’re in a great spot and will be for a long time. Sit back and relax

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
I agree. Who is going to watch a league of 24 “College” teams. Most would rather just watch NFL.
Another factor,, put those 24 ‘super-teams’ into a league that only plays each other,, and someone will have to finish last and become the league’s New York Jets. Are they going to maintain the same ratings and prestige after going 2-10 for a decade straight? They won’t have the draft or salary caps to maintain balance like the NFL.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Another factor,, put those 24 ‘super-teams’ into a league that only plays each other,, and someone will have to finish last and become the league’s New York Jets. Are they going to maintain the same ratings and prestige after going 2-10 for a decade straight? They won’t have the draft or salary caps to maintain balance like the NFL.
TV executives don't care.
Presidents and BOR that will be making these decisions don't care.

Yes, you are going to have a handful of programs that occupy the cellar. When the school cashes the $150 MM+ check every year, they won't care that the fans miss the old days.

The key is going to be whether the conferences can stay relevant and the networks continue negotiating with them instead of going directly to the schools a la Notre Dame. The SEC will protect us. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee and Florida will pay us lip service as they sign their mega contracts.

We had 12 million views in a season where we played Alabama and Georgia and had an exclusive Thanksgiving night matchup. You take those three games out and we had 2.8 million views in our remaining 9 games (331,000 per game). We are not attractive to a system where we are headed.

If that's 24 - no chance. Teams like Auburn and Nebraska are on the fence.
If its 32 - maybe, although Ole Miss is more attractive and they likely won't take two MS teams.
If its 40 - we're probably on the right side of the bubble but its not certain.

Last edited:
Reactions: brebdon

patdog

May 28, 2007
No way it's a smaller number of teams than the NFL at 32. The schedule and footprint doesn't make sense.

I think it's at least 40, and probably closer to 60 teams after the next round.
Exactly. And those 40-60 teams are going to be in the SEC and the Big 10. And we'll be in the SEC group, along with the other 15 current SEC members.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
And I am not trying to be doom and gloom. I am a very analytical, logical person. I always ask why something is happening. I'm probably a moron to most of you but there are numbers that should worry us if this is successful for the networks.

Conference realignment is all about money. The questions being asked now are why do you have schools like USC and UCLA making $30 million when Northwestern and Purdue are making $90 million? Why is Florida State making $40 million and Vanderbilt is getting $70 million. Those answers are leading to this round of conference realignment.

The next question is going to be Ohio State and Alabama asking why they are getting the same amount as Indiana and Mississippi State when they are getting more views in one week than those schools are getting in an entire season.

Dark, dark times ahead.
Mississippi State is gonna have to act like the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team. We want equal pay. We're a charter member after all.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I agree it will be a decade or more before this happens. However I Think 615 is right on in that IF the SEC dissolves, it will be because the blue bloods made back room deals directly with the networks. Because as he said, why make $60-70 million a year when you can double that.

I really think that is where college football will be by 2040... maybe 2050. About 30-40 schools in a new league to themselves. Oh.... and it will work. 17 million people watched MIchigan v OHSt this year. 22 million watched the semi finals. Over 6million watched Alabama/Auburn. ....and so on. We, State fans may lose interest, but enough people will still watch.
More like 4 decades, IF it continues like it is right now. But it won't.

And you think this thing can't collapse? Well, an entire generation of kids are growing up not really caring about sports (on the whole). Not sure if you've noticed but nationally, youth sports participation is way down (except for golf). That means less fans. The absolute LAST place fans will be lost is the top level of professionals (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, EPL). College will be the true loser. Take into account the idea that higher ed in general is on shaky ground, and the enrollment cliff. I mean, if you want to talk about negativity, a more realistic outlook is that schools themselves hit a rocky patch. Not that MSU gets left out of a super conference.

OP - just a bad take overall, not supported by much evidence. It happens, but geez, stop digging (or trolling, whatever it is you're truly doing). I'm analytical/logical too, but I'm not seeing this. We are in a season of rapid change, it won't stay that way. Live long enough you'll see this.

Reactions: patdog

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
What always gets forgotten amongst the people pushing for the big superconference is that someone's got to lose the games. You can take the 24 biggest names in football and put them together and a bunch of teams that aren't used to losing are going to lose and lose big, and they're going to regret everything.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
TV executives don't care.
Presidents and BOR that will be making these decisions don't care.

Yes, you are going to have a handful of programs that occupy the cellar. When the school cashes the $150 MM+ check every year, they won't care that the fans miss the old days.

The key is going to be whether the conferences can stay relevant and the networks continue negotiating with them instead of going directly to the schools a la Notre Dame. The SEC will protect us. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee and Florida will pay us lip service as they sign their mega contracts.

We had 12 million views in a season where we played Alabama and Georgia and had an exclusive Thanksgiving night matchup. You take those three games out and we had 2.8 million views in our remaining 9 games (331,000 per game). We are not attractive to a system where we are headed.
It seems like risking the long term future of college football, to maximize short term gain. The reason those programs have high ratings and so many ‘sidewalk alums’ is decades of winning 9+ games per year in the current system. Turn half the schools into perennial loser programs, and the TV execs might not get the ratings they expected.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I really think TV execs would be greatly overestimating the ratings if you exclude half the schools. High dollar College sports is uniquely American, and the only reason so many watch is out of loyalty to their own school, and the fact that 100+ schools are all in the same ‘league’ or ‘level’. If MSU is relegated down, I will rarely if ever watch the 32 super teams. In my mind it will become the same as Premier League, NHL, XFL, etc. Things I put on if nothing else is on, but since I don’t have a local or favorite team will rarely ever watch and definitely don’t care strongly about. The 70+ ‘non-super’ teams add up to a lot of eyeballs.
I agree. I’ve always been more of an NFL fan than college football. I watch college football and the sec because of MSU. I’ll casually tune into other sec games not involving MSU but rarely am I going to watch Clemson vs North Carolina or something like that. Hell I don’t even really watch Ohio state vs Michigan unless I can’t find something else to do. But I’ll sit down and watch any NFL game.

Reactions: msstatelp1
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login