The NIL is depressing.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
They may not win it, but make no mistake LSU went out and bought a national title contender this off season. If schools with more money than us like Tenn., A&M, Ark, & UF start buying baseball teams then we got no shot. Doesn’t matter how nice our stadium is or how big our crowds are.

Maybe we can turn Dudy Noble into a Top Golf. The condos are already elevated for swing suites.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
The only chance we have is a 1.1 billion mega millions winner from sixpack, go forth fellows Packers and purchase the ticket, it would only take a measly 10% of your winnings to ensure MSU reigns supreme for millennia to come, Hail State!!!!!!

Len2003

May 13, 2018
It can definitely be depressing for schools like us that don't have the money to compete. We just don't have the number of big mega donors that other schools do.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
LSU is loading up on baseball and football talent. Baseball should be really good. Glad we got hot, won those 1-run games and took home the Natty because now it's likely so much harder than before. We got recruits because of fan support and the nice stadium and some tradition. Other SEC schools have more money and enough fan support so I don't expect us to out recruit LSU, Tenn, FLa, and maybe even Ole Miss for top baseball talent (Ole Miss just got Tulane's best hitter). We dropped some cash on a nice baseball stadium. We have great fan support. But, the NIL changed the game quickly so it may not matter.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You just got to be patient. Uncle Sam is going to want a chunk of that money being given away and some order will be installed. They are not going to let the natives keep on running wild. It is getting out of hand and the right politicians are taking noticed. Maybe not these college football loving ones from the south but those up and down the northern Atlantic seaboard who only care about NFL are. Also a lot of these donors will have second thoughts once these guys get paid and leave after one season for another pay check or they have to keep on given money those guys ever year. People don't get rich or stay being rich being stoopid. Give it time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It is frustrating, and if feels like instead of having one Vandy to deal with, we now suddenly have 6-7 Vandys on steroids. Any prior illusions that NIL would somehow help MSU baseball because we are a devoted baseball fanbase are just that… illusions

That said, I don’t think this is the end of our program, and as long as Lemonis is able to keep pulling in Top 5-10 classes, we’re going to have a chance. However, I also think people need to prepare themselves for this being a longer rebuild, not a quick 1-yr turnaround. I was honestly shocked to hear Robbie say that Skenes was our missing piece to national seed contention next year because I just don’t see it.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Baseballs a funny game. The hottest team in May always wins, and that’s not close to always the most talented team. The last 2 champions are exhibit A and exhibit B for this.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We were a national seed last year, and won 20 SEC games. Not the #1 seed for sure, but definitely much of a surprise we won it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We were a national seed last year, and won 20 SEC games. Not the #1 seed for sure, but definitely much of a surprise we won it.
And not only that, Ole Miss always had the capability. You can say the same for Fresno 2008, Virginia 2015, Coastal 2016. Fresno and Coastal has senior laden teams. Virginia got 1-2 pitchers back from injury (sound familiar?). Then bam.

It is more random than football and basketball, but not nearly as random as some people like to make it.

Feb 23, 2008
We're behind the 8 ball no doubt but I think we're making too big a deal about

transfers and basing the status of a program on transfers. We've got some real dudes coming in as freshmen. I think that's getting lost in translation. Transfers are great for immediate help but I'm still bigger on what we're bringing in as freshmen. They are the life of the program long term. We've got a class ranked 4th by Baseball America and 6th by Perfect Game. Those are the only 2 I can find but hopefully that brings some people off the ledge over losing a pitcher from the baseball prowess of Air Force.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
They may not win it, but make no mistake LSU went out and bought a national title contender this off season. If schools with more money than us like Tenn., A&M, Ark, & UF start buying baseball teams then we got no shot. Doesn’t matter how nice our stadium is or how big our crowds are.

Maybe we can turn Dudy Noble into a Top Golf. The condos are already elevated for swing suites.

LSU had more open spots than anybody. They might have bought a couple, but that's not the only reason they out recruited everyone.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012

You're not wrong.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We have probably done as well in the portal as any team but LSU. The problem is we probably had more holes than any team in the conference. The good thing for us is we CAN recruit at a high level and if we develop then kids arent gonna leave us. Its a risk we have in other sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
It’s wild to me that you guys think we don’t have enough money to compete in NIL for baseball players.

The price is significantly lower than football. Our fans just aren’t willing to spend. We’ve got plenty of money to do what LSU just did.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
If our fans aren't willing to spend their own money then we don't have plenty of money. I'm not donating to this crap. How much you putting up?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
It’s wild to me that you guys think we don’t have enough money to compete in NIL for baseball players.

The price is significantly lower than football. Our fans just aren’t willing to spend. We’ve got plenty of money to do what LSU just did.

We can compete in NIL in baseball against most people. But sure as hell not against LSU. The price is determined by how much the wealthiest schools are willing to pay. Doesn’t matter if it costs $60,000 for a baseball player or $600,000. LSU has enough donors that they don’t give a 17 what the price is.

”Whatever MSU is offering, we’ll do that plus 20% more”

LSU can do that in perpetuity until we step away from the table, for as many players in the portal as they want per year. We can’t do that to them. Doesn’t matter what the price is.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008

I disagree but even still what you’ve said makes no sense. It doesn’t matter if we have the money if our fans aren’t willing to spend. In the end, we still don’t get the player(s) and the LSUs, A&Ms, & Tenns do.

LSU allegedly paid Tommy Tanks and Skenes over $500k. That’s $500k for TWO players. We can’t scrounge up $500k an entire signing class. Get real.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Why should our fans be expected to just pony up money for players-whether they play football, basketball, baseball or whatever? There are many of us (myself included) who think that just handing over our hard-earned dollars to athletes is completely ridiculous. If the idea here is to completely ruin college sports, then let them ruin it. This is beyond stupid-a couple of years down the road, people will realize this. Right now, there are a bunch of people who don’t understand this-but they will.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I disagree but even still what you’ve said makes no sense. It doesn’t matter if we have the money if our fans aren’t willing to spend. In the end, we still don’t get the player(s) and the LSUs, A&Ms, & Tenns do.

LSU allegedly paid Tommy Tanks and Skenes over $500k. That’s $500k for TWO players. We can’t scrounge up $500k an entire signing class. Get real.

That's false

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
Why should our fans be expected to just pony up money for players-whether they play football, basketball, baseball or whatever? There are many of us (myself included) who think that just handing over our hard-earned dollars to athletes is completely ridiculous. If the idea here is to completely ruin college sports, then let them ruin it. This is beyond stupid-a couple of years down the road, people will realize this. Right now, there are a bunch of people who don’t understand this-but they will.

You do realize that other schools have fans are ponying up & that's the reality right?

Also, what you posted, I believe eliminates you from being able to criticize coaches if you apparently don't care about our talent level

patdog

May 28, 2007
The reality is that no matter how much we give, we're still going to lose virtually every bidding war with the LSUs of the world. And there's 6 schools in the SEC that have more money than LSU and 1 other in a virtual tie.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The reality is that no matter how much we give, we're still going to lose virtually every bidding war with the LSUs of the world. And there's 6 schools in the SEC that have more money than LSU and 1 other in a virtual tie.
Good news is, LSU can only take so many players. And there is a level of diminishing returns to this stuff, it won't be a "whatever it takes" situation, maybe now, but that will eventually end, as players end up being busts and stuff.

There's no doubt that there will be a 30 for 30 made about this COVID to NIL 3-4 year era in college sports, in about 20 years. I hope they concentrate on the fear behind it all. It'll be crazy to see the results of this Wild Wild West period. I don't think anybody truly knows. Will Texas A&M actually rise in football? Will the Marucci Mercenaries actually become a contender in baseball? Or will NIL cause rifts in locker rooms? Or will anything really change at all?

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Let the free market do its thing, yourself included

If you don't want to give don't. The NIL is about everyone having the right to market their goods and/or services in a free and open environment. If a player has a problem with that, he or she is free to not sign any NIL deal. If a consumer of the college athletic product has a problem with that, he/she has the ability to consume the product without contributing to an NIL fund. Nothing has to change on your end if you don't want it to.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We can compete in NIL in baseball against most people. But sure as hell not against LSU. The price is determined by how much the wealthiest schools are willing to pay. Doesn’t matter if it costs $60,000 for a baseball player or $600,000. LSU has enough donors that they don’t give a 17 what the price is.

”Whatever MSU is offering, we’ll do that plus 20% more”

LSU can do that in perpetuity until we step away from the table, for as many players in the portal as they want per year. We can’t do that to them. Doesn’t matter what the price is.
There's no need. There's plenty of baseball talent out there.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
You do realize that other schools have fans are ponying up & that's the reality right?

Also, what you posted, I believe eliminates you from being able to criticize coaches if you apparently don't care about our talent level

We can criticize whoever the hell we went. Nobody gives a **** that shtotgundawg on a message board is mad about it. It is not a fan’s responsibility to buy/recruit players for a COLLEGE program.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Oh, the free market is going to do its thing for sure. This NIL & free transfers era is the ultimate free market. Without any anti-trust or consumer protection laws.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Oh, the free market is going to do its thing for sure. This NIL & free transfers era is the ultimate free market. Without any anti-trust or consumer protection laws.

Question I’d like to know the answer to….is it not a double standard for the SCOTUS to say that impeding NIL compensation is a violation of anti-trust law, but the NFL placing an age / eligibility restriction on players who can be drafted ISN’T a violation of the same laws?

I don’t really expect it would change much….as probably 0.001% of legit D1 prospects could legitimately contribute to an NFL team within 1-2 years of graduating high school. So not many would be taken regardless. But it would be an interesting lawsuit one day.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think bc the union agreed to it in collective bargaining. But its probably way more complicated

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
There's no need. There's plenty of baseball talent out there.

There is plenty of baseball talent out there. I agree. In the past, we would sign a top 10 class and hope to develop our players better than the LSUs, Vandys, Arkys, and Floridas who also signed top 10 classes.

Now… Those teams will still sign top 10 classes like us but also be able to poach an All American from Air Force or a freshman all American first baseman from NC State to fill holes in their lineup.

They can miss on evaluation and development of their signing classes. We can’t.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We just rebuilt a depleted and depressing roster from the portal. Its not ideal to have to do that but we did really well. On paper, Gartman may have been the steal of the portal season. And we may have landed the second best bat in the portal this year.

And we did not lose Skenes bc of money.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Most of us shouldn’t be expected to. Unfortunately we are at a point in college sports where our alumni fans that are worth 8 figures need to either step up and match other schools, or prepare to watch some mediocre teams. We’re now a small market professional team,, minus the draft and trades that can provide some balance in professional leagues.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Question I’d like to know the answer to….is it not a double standard for the SCOTUS to say that impeding NIL compensation is a violation of anti-trust law, but the NFL placing an age / eligibility restriction on players who can be drafted ISN’T a violation of the same laws?

I don’t really expect it would change much….as probably 0.001% of legit D1 prospects could legitimately contribute to an NFL team within 1-2 years of graduating high school. So not many would be taken regardless. But it would be an interesting lawsuit one day.
You ain’t wrong. I’ve been screaming about this for years.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018

No, I don’t realize “other schools have fans are ponying up”. The overwhelming majority of this ridiculous NIL money is coming from corporations, mixed in with some wealthy alumni at some schools. The average ticket-buying fan isn’t contributing. There are some exceptions, but they are few.

As to your “what you posted, I believe eliminates you from being able to criticize coaches, yada yada yada”-you are not actually correct. I’ve contributed to the Bulldog Club for over 40 years and will continue to do so. That gives me the right to criticize whoever the hell I feel like criticizing. On the other hand I’m not much of a criticizer of coaches. Criticizing coaches is way overrated. It accomplishes nothing and makes the criticizer come off as a whiner. It changes nothing, IMO. As you seem to place a big value on criticizing coaches-you do you. In the meantime, I’ll keep doing me..

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login