The NIL is depressing.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
They may not win it, but make no mistake LSU went out and bought a national title contender this off season. If schools with more money than us like Tenn., A&M, Ark, & UF start buying baseball teams then we got no shot. Doesn’t matter how nice our stadium is or how big our crowds are.

Maybe we can turn Dudy Noble into a Top Golf. The condos are already elevated for swing suites.
Bump. LSU hasn’t won it all yet, but the point still stands.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
They may not win it, but make no mistake LSU went out and bought a national title contender this off season. If schools with more money than us like Tenn., A&M Ark, & UF start buying baseball teams then we got no shot. Doesn’t matter how nice our stadium is or how big our crowds are.
Yeah, I'm concerned. And add in Texas and Oklahoma next year. There are several SEC programs with new and improved stadiums on the drawing board that will surpass our grandstand capacity in the next few years. Now, whether they can fill those stadiums (minus LSU & ARK) remains to be seen, Probably a good thing us and Ole Miss got our CWS Championships when we did. Gonna be 10X harder after the SEC expansion is complete and settled in.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022
They may not win it, but make no mistake LSU went out and bought a national title contender this off season. If schools with more money than us like Tenn., A&M, Ark, & UF start buying baseball teams then we got no shot. Doesn’t matter how nice our stadium is or how big our crowds are.

Maybe we can turn Dudy Noble into a Top Golf. The condos are already elevated for swing suites.
NIL is the deathknell of college athletics. And many here celebrated it.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
You just got to be patient. Uncle Sam is going to want a chunk of that money being given away and some order will be installed. They are not going to let the natives keep on running wild. It is getting out of hand and the right politicians are taking noticed. Maybe not these college football loving ones from the south but those up and down the northern Atlantic seaboard who only care about NFL are. Also a lot of these donors will have second thoughts once these guys get paid and leave after one season for another pay check or they have to keep on given money those guys ever year. People don't get rich or stay being rich being stoopid. Give it time.
Gotta see it to believe it.

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012

top golf isn’t a bad idea but you know as well as I do that it won’t be built on time

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Let me explain something. LSU is top of the heap. FL is right behind them. We're not far behind them. We just suck at going after big talent. Lemons like little *** school talent. We got funds. We refuse to use them.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Gotta see it to believe it.
It will happen when the NIL crosses the total magic dollar amount that the US government can make money through taxes and regulations. They are already focusing on the super-rich who send money to each other with cash apps, so I'm sure they are on it.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
You just got to be patient. Uncle Sam is going to want a chunk of that money being given away and some order will be installed. They are not going to let the natives keep on running wild. It is getting out of hand and the right politicians are taking noticed. Maybe not these college football loving ones from the south but those up and down the northern Atlantic seaboard who only care about NFL are. Also a lot of these donors will have second thoughts once these guys get paid and leave after one season for another pay check or they have to keep on given money those guys ever year. People don't get rich or stay being rich being stoopid. Give it time.
So you think the government and politicians are going to fix it.

Good luck with that.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Po ole missippi state. Some of you guys make me look like an optimist. We are probably closer to the Top of the SEC in baseball NIL than the bottom. Just be glad Cohen still isn’t here or it would be a freaking disaster as far as NIL is concerned.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I’m starting to suspect that our nil isn’t bad but maybe our baseball recruiting is bad… our football recruiting appears to be the best it’s been since Jackie. No reason we can’t get some baseball transfers

Reactions: patdog

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
Good news is, LSU can only take so many players. And there is a level of diminishing returns to this stuff, it won't be a "whatever it takes" situation, maybe now, but that will eventually end, as players end up being busts and stuff.

This is right on. LSU has deep pockets, but there is still a bottom. The fact that they are snatching up all these players while still in Omaha tells me they are overspending. On top of that, there are only so many players they can get. Whenever they and UF run out of money, price for the remaining players will drop. Even if we have a nice pot in out NIL, we need to spend wisely and got get into bidding wars with LSU.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It will happen when the NIL crosses the total magic dollar amount that the US government can make money through taxes and regulations. They are already focusing on the super-rich who send money to each other with cash apps, so I'm sure they are on it.

What I see happening is a crack down on the collectives to produce 1099s. Then the athletes themselves getting a nice bill in the mail from the IRS.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
LSU has a med school, engineering school, law school, mba ... Lots of potential for rich graduates to donate to enjoy college sports and feel like they're a part of the program. Overall, Louisiana isn't a wealthy state but it does have a lot of rich donors willing to make their favorite college a national contender in a lot of sports.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I don't know if they have the stones to do it, but you can fix college sports by eliminating immediate eligibility.

The transfer portal is fine. NIL is fine. It's the ability to hop from one school to another without sitting that led to perpetual free agency in college sports.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
LSU has a med school, engineering school, law school, mba ... Lots of potential for rich graduates to donate to enjoy college sports and feel like they're a part of the program. Overall, Louisiana isn't a wealthy state but it does have a lot of rich donors willing to make their favorite college a national contender in a lot of sports.
There is also intense commerce all along the Louisiana coastal region that has created many millionaires that are LSU fans but never attended school there. As my Louisiana friends like to say , there are three Louisiana's , North , South and New Orleans.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What I see happening is a crack down on the collectives to produce 1099s. Then the athletes themselves getting a nice bill in the mail from the IRS.
You can rest assured the NIL collectives are issuing 1099s. All of them. And I’m sure they’re providing financial counseling and/or backup withholding to the athletes. This is very basic and I can’t imagine any of them ignoring it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't know if they have the stones to do it, but you can fix college sports by eliminating immediate eligibility.

The transfer portal is fine. NIL is fine. It's the ability to hop from one school to another without sitting that led to perpetual free agency in college sports.
I’ve said this from the beginning. Sit out one year. No exceptions. That year doesn’t count towards your 5 to play 4. This would put a brake on all the transfers without penalizing the athletes. Makes way too much sense for it to ever happen though.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
There is also intense commerce all along the Louisiana coastal region that has created many millionaires that are LSU fans but never attended school there. As my Louisiana friends like to say , there are three Louisiana's , North , South and New Orleans.
The oil field made created some Cajun millionaires and a couple of billionaires most people likely have never heard of (just providing telephone and cable TV to people there made one family really rich). South Lafourche and Terrebonne Parish, known for fishing mostly outside of the state, has some rich people. That money isn't going to Nicholls athletics.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The oil field made created some Cajun millionaires and a couple of billionaires most people likely have never heard of (just providing telephone and cable TV to people there made one family really rich). South Lafourche and Terrebonne Parish, known for fishing mostly outside of the state, has some rich people. That money isn't going to Nicholls athletics. It's LSU, Tulane and the Republican Party that get the biggest donations.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Lsu and tcu both have been buying up across a whole lot of sports. Nil just makes it above board now.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
For sure, I'm just wondering if they are going to let the school NIL hand out checks that large without the government getting involved. Will it change their tax status? Can they show how they got this money and who it was from? I don't know who will get involved, but someone must be interested in this new source of income and employment. Especially the schools/NIL handing out six-figure or even larger deals.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login