The Open

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Who y’all got? I hope the weather somehow turns nasty. If not, I guess the winner will be whoever is best with wedges. I want to see one of the LIV guys win, preferably Poulter.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I love to watch golf on these kind of courses. Not only is it the original form of golf you see some really unusual shots during this tournament every year. I just saw one guy chip all the way through his green to the next grade and you couldn't tell except the guy was lining up to put on the other green I don't have a favorite really but I wouldn't mind seeing Rory McIlroy and I could run for it. So far it's playing pretty easy today

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I wasn’t able to watch, but it appears Tiger was letting gallery members putt for him today. He only needs to shoot the course record tomorrow to make the cut.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Why do you want a LIV golfer to win it?

I think Rory looks to have his A game. I'll go with him after the opening round. Aside from him I'd look out for Xander.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Why do you want a LIV golfer to win it?

I think the meltdown from the PGA Tour and R&A would be great entertainment. They’d have to let the LIV members play again next year. I also liked Poulter prior to LIV. It would be great theater.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah….nothing like pulling for a Saudi backed tour. I wonder how their 757 pilot training program is going these days?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Careful, the saddle on the high horse you’re posting from was probably made by slave labor in China. Good luck

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Lol so you just want to see drama? I'm really happy with where the PGA is at right now, but I'm newly "re-interested" this season after being on a hiatus for a while. I wish I was watching DJ, Koepka, DeChambau, etc every weekend.

I agree with Tiger's point of view.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Not good either but I'm a little more put off by 911 and the lives lost here.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I like the idea of what LIV is doing. I enjoy watching golf but pretty much only go out of my way to watch the majors. I like the idea of 8 more tournaments a year featuring the top players in the world. It’s not there yet, but it has potential. I also like the shotgun start. It will also make the pga tour improve their product. Did Tiger say they are only doing it for the money, as if that was a bad thing? That’s rich. His comment that guaranteed money takes away the incentive to practice was intentionally playing dumb. LIV isn’t picking bums off the street to give money to and there is a big difference between 1st place money and last place money. LIV is also a lot better for the caddies I think. Something the PGA could’ve easily been more proactive about a long time ago. Among professional sports leagues, the PGA shares the least amount of revenue with the participants. LIV is gonna force them to change that.

expireddog

Oct 4, 2013
If you don’t understand Tigers comment about guaranteed money making you practice less and not be as sharp as PGA tour players who have to earn it then that’s on you. LIV is yet to get a big name golfer in their prime that anybody cares about watching. Maybe Bryson, but I think he’s gonna suffer from the weight gain/speed swing add on he’s done over the last couple years and become injury prone. And when you are streaming it on Facebook and you tube there won’t be too many eyeballs on it. All these players are talking about playing less but next year the LIV schedule bumps up to 14 tournaments a year and they have to play them there is no choice like pga tour.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
If you don’t understand that playing better is the difference between $4million and $120k, and that is a pretty good incentive to practice, then that’s on you. It’s the beginning of their league. The broadcast options and field will get better. How was the field at the pga tour event that went up against LIV a couple weekends back? LIV had a much better field and it wasn’t even close.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Brooks Keopka has said he doesn't practice much. Practice rounds aren't required for LIV. They might be for PGA. Playing loud music while on the course as well. I don't really care about shot gun starts or whatever, but I do prefer 72 holes over 54.

Phil Mickelson loves it. He gets to do whatever he wants and play golf on the side and make $100 million just to show up. No wonder he loves it so much. He pretty much said that at his presser.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Are you talking about when the Scottish open was happening? The PGA has a few lower tier tournaments every year. I enjoyed watching the John Deere Classic this year. Hell is the Viking Classic still in Madison? Classic example of what I'm talking about. Southern Farm Burea is the old name. Davis Love might have played it once.

I'm really into golf right now though.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The Last LIV was the week before the Scottish Open and Koepka has always been light on the practice. That’s not because he joined LIV. If you don’t think absurd payouts will attract the top players that are practicing very hard, then I guess we’ll just disagree.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Where does that oil come from?
You do realize only 5% of US oil comes from the Saudi’s? I don’t have any control over that but I don’t have to watch and support the Sports Washing tour. But you go ahead and suck it up.

boatsandhoes

Sep 6, 2012
I would also

Like to see an LIV golfer win it as well. Just so the PGA tour, the golf channel, Rory, and the rest in the pga tours pocket would shut up. I also think it might make it difficult to exclude those players if they qualify. Nothing wrong with having another pro tour, for those who want to partake of their free will.

Disclaimer:
I do not support terrorist, or the Saudi’s. I also do not support any media outlet belonging to/being paid/or working at the leisure of the pga tour, any political party, or government. 17 Bruce Springsteen.

Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
So you’re ok with 5% responsibility for 9/11? Get out of here. Go figure out how much of the stuff you buy is made entirely by good people. Here’s a hint: zero percent. I like watching good golfers play golf. I’m not trying to solve geopolitical riddles.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
As I said....I have no control over how much oil or other **** comes from bad countries. There are some products you have to buy. I do have control over my entertainment. The majority of good golf comes from outside the LIV tour so I am watching the best play golf.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Are you talking about when the Scottish open was happening? The PGA has a few lower tier tournaments every year. I enjoyed watching the John Deere Classic this year. Hell is the Viking Classic still in Madison? Classic example of what I'm talking about. Southern Farm Burea is the old name. Davis Love might have played it once.

I'm really into golf right now though.

Obviously not too much into golf. It hasn’t been the Viking Classic for 11 years and no it’s not in Madison

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I like the idea of what LIV is doing. I enjoy watching golf but pretty much only go out of my way to watch the majors. I like the idea of 8 more tournaments a year featuring the top players in the world. It’s not there yet, but it has potential. I also like the shotgun start. It will also make the pga tour improve their product. Did Tiger say they are only doing it for the money, as if that was a bad thing? That’s rich. His comment that guaranteed money takes away the incentive to practice was intentionally playing dumb. LIV isn’t picking bums off the street to give money to and there is a big difference between 1st place money and last place money. LIV is also a lot better for the caddies I think. Something the PGA could’ve easily been more proactive about a long time ago. Among professional sports leagues, the PGA shares the least amount of revenue with the participants. LIV is gonna force them to change that.

I'd really like to see the numbers behind that claim. I suspect it may have to deal with the expenses of putting on a bunch of different tournaments at different venues and not getting to repeatedly have games in taxpayer subsidized stadiums. It may be the same for other sports leagues, but for golf, it seems like a ton of revenue for the tournaments goes right back out the door to provide services to the sponsors. I'm curious as to whether most tournaments even make money before the TV payouts. I suspect a lot of them basically break even and the tour makes money off the TV. But not sure all that tournament revenue even shows up as PGA revenue. May be separate non-profits hosting all the tournaments and hiring event management teams.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I'd really like to see the numbers behind that claim..

Me too. The tour players have grumbled about this before LIV. Good luck searching for this and getting pre-LIV results. NBA and NFL, split the money about 50/50 with players I think. Phil recently said tour players get 25%. Yes, I understand he’s a biased opinion at the moment but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s wrong. The tour responded with “Not true,” and no details about how much goes to players. I’d like to see how Phil arrived at his numbers and I’d like to see the tour prove his claim one way or the other.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I like the concept of team golf and I'm excited the PGA tour is bringing that on in a couple of years. I obviously don't like the LIV tour for all the reasons listed and I don't want to see a LIV guy win any major ever again. But I also think some of the golf media and media, in general, are being ridiculous in some of their questions and attacks towards players who have decided to play in it. Accusing the players that have decided to side with the 9/11 attackers is nuts. Obviously, they are just trying to make the most money they can and have to work less. I wish they hadn't made that decision. But let's not pretend that the president is not currently in Saudi Arabia trying to get an oil deal stuck so we can all have cheaper gas or that the PGA Tour hasn't hosted an event in Saudi Arabia or China.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Happy for him. Seems like a good dude.

It is interesting he doesn’t take practice swings before his putts (in case you didn’t hear that on the broadcast).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login