The opposite of the other thread: What's the deadest game you've been to at DWS/Scott Field?

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Not necessarily the least attended, but which game/games just had that funeral home feel to it? Two come to mind for me: The 1996 Arkansas game (the one the week after we finally beat Alabama after 16 years) and the 2005 Houston game. That Arkansas game sucked with us losing by one, but I remember a decent crowd, a nice day, but a listless game with more slight groans and barely ANY sound from the stands. And the Houston game in 2005 is in year two of Croom. My wife and I went up for the game as a mini anniversary day excursion, but I've never been so bored in my life. A bad product on the field and a very uninterested and mediocre crowd in the stands. It was also a gorgeous October day, too.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
Not necessarily the least attended, but which game/games just had that funeral home feel to it? Two come to mind for me: The 1996 Arkansas game (the one the week after we finally beat Alabama after 16 years) and the 2005 Houston game. That Arkansas game sucked with us losing by one, but I remember a decent crowd, a nice day, but a listless game with more slight groans and barely ANY sound from the stands. And the Houston game in 2005 is in year two of Croom. My wife and I went up for the game as a mini anniversary day excursion, but I've never been so bored in my life. A bad product on the field and a very uninterested and mediocre crowd in the stands. It was also a gorgeous October day, too.

Does booing count as beinIg dead? I'll vote Maine..

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We played UAB in the rain in 2004 and got beaten pretty handily. Stadium was less than half full and it was miserable. I remember the university passed out cards to everyone in attendance and then tell them a time to hold them up, and it would spell out something. But there were so few people there they just didn’t do it. I remember seeing those cards laying around in the stadium.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
2006 Tulane. Year 3 of Croom. We’d been shut out the first two games. I bought two 50 yard line tickets for $10 from a scalper. Literally middle of the field. I sat on one side of 50 and my wife was on other side. No one was around us.

We lost of course. I think Omar Conner got hurt because Tray Rutland finished the game. He was left handed. We kept running these play action bootlegs to his right. He’d roll out and awkwardly try to turn & pass.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Sherrill’s last game. Getting absolutely drenched in a monsoon while Eli and Ole Miss marched up and down the field on us. It was misery. Plus we wore Alabama style helmets just to make it more visually painful. Every time I look at my cowbell I can see the damage the rain that night did to the stickers

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
2020 Missouri easily but non Covid year would be 2019 Abeline Christian or 2016 Samford

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
2006 Tulane. Year 3 of Croom. We’d been shut out the first two games. I bought two 50 yard line tickets for $10 from a scalper. Literally middle of the field. I sat on one side of 50 and my wife was on other side. No one was around us.

We lost of course. I think Omar Conner got hurt because Tray Rutland finished the game. He was left handed. We kept running these play action bootlegs to his right. He’d roll out and awkwardly try to turn & pass.
I was at that Tulane game too. Rock bottom of Croom era for me. Trey Rutland actually started that game and was terrible. We were down 32-7 in the third quarter. Croom put Omarr in and he just basically started running around making things happen and we scored 22 points to make it close but still lost 32-29. About the most damning indictment of Croom’s offense there was.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
2012 Texas A&M. I wore long sleeves and jeans expecting it to be cold and then it ended up being like 80 degrees. A&M had 700 yards of offense and we didn’t do squat. It was an absolutely miserable experience.

was21

May 29, 2007
Some game that Crooms corched against Kentucky, and probably some others that I didn't attend that he corched.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
2012 Texas A&M. I wore long sleeves and jeans expecting it to be cold and then it ended up being like 80 degrees. A&M had 700 yards of offense and we didn’t do squat. It was an absolutely miserable experience.
Only state game I ever left at halftime out of sheer disgust.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
2022 ETSU. Maybe 15k there. So.... very dead inside that stadium.

But more interesting..... I can't remember the year but we were playing LSU. Early mid 90s. LSU had a large contingent there. So
Many that when their Punter Return was deep to receive. They started chanting his name. Eddie Kennison maybe. We were quiet as church mice.

oh yeah, the 88 or 89 lsu game at home was a tomb. I was given tickets. We were scoreless late in the game. However we drove the ball into their redzone. Ready to score only to throw an int to end the game.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
In addition to many of the games on here, there is one game I attended briefly in 1993 (Kentucky?). It was so damn cold and there may have been just under 10-12K in the stands. The place was total quiet and you barely had to raise your voice to players on the field for them to hear you.

Worse: I had no firewater to keep warm.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
2003 Alabama. I know you're going to say you don't remember it and that it's an uneventful game, and you're right. It was after Jackie resigned and we were on our way to getting demolished in the back half of the 2003 season. It felt like Alabama was running a scrimmage. Keep in mind that this was when Alabama was not all that great.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
The Troy tornado game that we lost maybe 2001

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
In addition to many of the games on here, there is one game I attended briefly in 1993 (Kentucky?). It was so damn cold and there may have been just under 10-12K in the stands. The place was total quiet and you barely had to raise your voice to players on the field for them to hear you.

Worse: I had no firewater to keep warm.
Coldest game for me was @ Murfreesboro vs MTSU. Metal bleachers. Ice rain, and I forgot my gloves. My hands almost froze. But At least Greg Byrne came around and thanked us for attending.

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
2020 Missouri easily but non Covid year would be 2019 Abeline Christian or 2016 Samford
2020 Missouri is the weirdest college football game I’ve ever been to. Couldn’t have been much more than 1,000 people there. It almost felt like a high school basketball game in a weird way. We were having full on conversations with players on the Missouri sideline from the student section.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
2020 Missouri is the weirdest college football game I’ve ever been to. Couldn’t have been much more than 1,000 people there. It almost felt like a high school basketball game in a weird way. We were having full on conversations with players on the Missouri sideline from the student section.
And it was like the week of Christmas

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

ShelBitty

Oct 11, 2022
2020 Missouri was the weirdest sporting event I've ever attended. Ended up leaving pretty early because we had my five year old boys with us. The band wasn't even at the game because school was out. Was gonna try and upload a panoramic pic I took that day but it's "too large" apparently. I'm sure you guys know that feeling

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Anyone remember the Tulane loss in Croom's third year? Now THAT game felt like a funeral, for real.

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
2020 Missouri was the weirdest sporting event I've ever attended. Ended up leaving pretty early because we had my five year old boys with us. The band wasn't even at the game because school was out. Was gonna try and upload a panoramic pic I took that day but it's "too large" apparently. I'm sure you guys know that feeling
I had forgotten about the band not being there. That definitely contributed to how odd that game was

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
2003 Alabama. I know you're going to say you don't remember it and that it's an uneventful game, and you're right. It was after Jackie resigned and we were on our way to getting demolished in the back half of the 2003 season. It felt like Alabama was running a scrimmage. Keep in mind that this was when Alabama was not all that great.
I believe that was the game that jack said the Sonic drive of the game “will be my drive home. I hope it is an uneventful drive”

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Maine. Easy
Troy game after the tornado was bad too
Unfortunately I was at both but the worst crowd was the 2004 Florida upset because there was no one there to cheer. I couldn't give away 45 yd line tickets before the game.

That is why I said Croom was the worst OC we ever had. He ran the offense and we wasted Norwood, Omar Conner, Dixon, Pegues and so many talented players while surrounding them with non-SEC players. That's the best thing I can say about them.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
2003 Egg Bowl - we came in with 2 wins and had given up 2 months beforehand, and it was a monsoon.

2001 Troy - After the tornado warning was over.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I just want to add that this thread is like a Greatest Hits mix tape of games where I left the stadium before halftime.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
I believe that was the game that jack said the Sonic drive of the game “will be my drive home. I hope it is an uneventful drive”
Now that I think about it, I believe you're right.

I had convinced someone who had never gone to a State game despite having been a student there for four years to actually go to a game. Told him afterwards that I wouldn't fault him if he never went to another game.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
1993 vs Arkansas State ... we had to come back to TIE the game 15-15. I was 13 and came on an FFA, 4-H, or FCA trip.

Just for context, this was a 2-8-1 Big West team and I think it was homecoming. This was back when they were still “Indians”, so to be fair, they may have actually had the home field advantage.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login