The opposite of the other thread: What's the deadest game you've been to at DWS/Scott Field?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Not necessarily the least attended, but which game/games just had that funeral home feel to it? Two come to mind for me: The 1996 Arkansas game (the one the week after we finally beat Alabama after 16 years) and the 2005 Houston game. That Arkansas game sucked with us losing by one, but I remember a decent crowd, a nice day, but a listless game with more slight groans and barely ANY sound from the stands. And the Houston game in 2005 is in year two of Croom. My wife and I went up for the game as a mini anniversary day excursion, but I've never been so bored in my life. A bad product on the field and a very uninterested and mediocre crowd in the stands. It was also a gorgeous October day, too.
2000 vs. Arkansas. In the sleet and rain. Pig Prather tore his ACL, I think, along with several other key injuries. We 17d around the entire game trying to play conservative and missed a FG to win at the end. Dontae Walker’s weak @SS got stuffed at the goal line in OT to seal the loss.

Not only were we decimated with injuries in that game, Madkin caught the flu for the Egg Bowl. That led to Fant coming in and absolutely imploding….

That season sealed the end of Jackie. We had a BCS champion-caliber team and lost to some AWFUL teams because we wouldn’t take care of business against sh1tty teams.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Now that I think about it, I believe you're right.

I had convinced someone who had never gone to a State game despite having been a student there for four years to actually go to a game. Told him afterwards that I wouldn't fault him if he never went to another game.
I think somehow we were the CBS game. I think that was the game where my hope started to disappear. I don’t think it returned until the egg bowl mullen’s first year

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
2006 Tulane. Year 3 of Croom. We’d been shut out the first two games. I bought two 50 yard line tickets for $10 from a scalper. Literally middle of the field. I sat on one side of 50 and my wife was on other side. No one was around us.

We lost of course. I think Omar Conner got hurt because Tray Rutland finished the game. He was left handed. We kept running these play action bootlegs to his right. He’d roll out and awkwardly try to turn & pass.
2006 inspired the Cowbell’s Ain’t Ringin’ song, right?

Reactions: kired
May 7, 2006
2022 ETSU. Maybe 15k there. So.... very dead inside that stadium.

But more interesting..... I can't remember the year but we were playing LSU. Early mid 90s. LSU had a large contingent there. So
Many that when their Punter Return was deep to receive. They started chanting his name. Eddie Kennison maybe. We were quiet as church mice.

oh yeah, the 88 or 89 lsu game at home was a tomb. I was given tickets. We were scoreless late in the game. However we drove the ball into their redzone. Ready to score only to throw an int to end the game.
This has my vote

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I remember the 3-2 debacle being fairly loud for most of that game, because it was a Thursday night, closely fought cripple fight.

Me and a friend drove over and landed tix to the West Virginia home game, Croom era. Sat 50 yd line, about 10 rows up. Ghostly quiet and empty for an asswhippin everyone knew was eminent. WV fans travelled well for that game.

The always popular MSU freshman phenom QB got his redshirt burned, came in to spark some sign of offensive life (can’t remember his name) and took about 6 snaps before tearing his ACL. Fun times.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I remember the 3-2 debacle being fairly loud for most of that game, because it was a Thursday night, closely fought cripple fight.
This is accurate. This game wasn’t dead at all. Not sure what some of these posters are remembering, but it wasn’t that game.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Posters saying the 3-2 game was dead should have attended some of the other games listed in this thread. No comparison.
To be fair, the game was loud, but both fan bases exiting DWS that night was like a funeral procession.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
2016 South Alabama was pretty bad. 11:00 AM kick, was incredibly hot, our offense was putrid, and when the last second FG hit the upright you could hear the clang echo in the stadium.

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
oh yeah, the 88 or 89 lsu game at home was a tomb. I was given tickets. We were scoreless late in the game. However we drove the ball into their redzone. Ready to score only to throw an int to end the game.
I was there, Gandalf - 3000 years ago ... when the hope of Bulldogs failed. Greg Jackson (I think) took that INT for 100+ yards,

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
JoeMo drilled the pilot hole and Covid inserted the Death "Knell" in the atmosphere of Davis Wade.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
2016 South Alabama was pretty bad. 11:00 AM kick, was incredibly hot, our offense was putrid, and when the last second FG hit the upright you could hear the clang echo in the stadium.
Yuup, hot as balls. We left early and watched the end at Dooeys with some USA fans, they were more stunned than us.

Blldawg87

May 24, 2013
I was at that Tulane game too. Rock bottom of Croom era for me. Trey Rutland actually started that game and was terrible. We were down 32-7 in the third quarter. Croom put Omarr in and he just basically started running around making things happen and we scored 22 points to make it close but still lost 32-29. About the most damning indictment of Croom’s offense there was.
My Freshman year...2006 Tulane!

I was on the baseball team at the time and Coach Polk ask at the next practice which players stayed the entire game.

Only like 3 or 4 guys raised their hands. They were the only ones that got out of regular end of practice running that day. Lol

3-2 was nowhere near dead. It was loud and seemed like we recovered about 4 fumbles on our side of the 50 in the 4th qtr, but couldn't move the ball 20 years to get a FG for the win. After one of those recoveries, the guy behind me, tapped me and a buddy on the shoulder and said, "Guys, you may not know it yet, but this is called the Mississippi State False Hope".

Last edited:

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
I believe the 2002 Oregon game was the game where the fans started filing out in the first quarter with us down 28-0.
I believe the 2002 Oregon game was the game where the fans started filing out in the first quarter with us down 28-0.
Sounds right.

I was in high school and the school sent me 6(!) tickets as a recruiting tool. Decent seats too. I remember hardly anyone being around us and the Oregon fans collectively looked like a bunch of old hippies with tie dye socks and Birkenstocks.

The atmosphere was dead.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login