The predictions of the future of college football ...

Studentdawg06

Oct 1, 2023
No, I'm saying he's all the swing we've got.

Sankey’s daughter went to State. State grads run the AD departments at Auburn and Florida. We have some connections, but Keenum can’t save us. He is the reason things have gone to hell.

Reactions: patdog

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I don't know if you guys understand how power works. The top 4-5 schools in the SEC have the power. Bama, UT, UGA, LSU, UF aren't going to give up the power they have in the SEC to move to another organization. Texas and Oklaomo will make the SEC even more powerful. The aforementioned teams aren't going to leave a dominate situation where they hold most of the power and move to another organization where they would have to share power will equally big fish (USC, Mich, TOSU, ND, FSU, UNC, Penn State, etc).

No Big 10/SEC school is going to leave their conference, their power, their protection, their strength, that'd be stupid.
I could not disagree more. Blue bloods view programs like us as a tax. Bama/LSU/UGA etc drive revenue for the conference, yet we get an equal share.

In this scenario, they could break away and make much more money and essentially create a new framework of CFB that benefits major programs even more.

I don’t know if it will happen because I’m not convinced the networks would want to risk the tens of millions of fans that would be left out. But the blue bloods themselves would be crazy to not want a breakaway league. It only benefits them. Who would turn down tenfold more TV revenue because they wouldn’t have as much “power” in a super conference as they do in their current conference?

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
I could not disagree more. Blue bloods view programs like us as a tax. Bama/LSU/UGA etc drive revenue for the conference, yet we get an equal share.

In this scenario, they could break away and make much more money and essentially create a new framework of CFB that benefits major programs even more.

I don’t know if it will happen because I’m not convinced the networks would want to risk the tens of millions of fans that would be left out. But the blue bloods themselves would be crazy to not want a breakaway league. It only benefits them. Who would turn down tenfold more TV revenue because they wouldn’t have as much “power” in a super conference as they do in their current conference?
This would begin the “NASCAR-ization” of college football and the results would be the same.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I am not sure if I really believe this, but being a big fish in a lower pond that mimics something to college football vs. being a lower fish in the worlds of the semi-pro football may not be the worst thing in the world (for football only). Of course, the TV money is a big deal and something we would miss.
As much as I don't think it will happen, best thing for Mississippi State would be for there to be a 32-school breakaway some people are touting. Get Bama, LSU, Texas and Georgia off the schedules. We'd still get pretty good media money and we'd be competing with schools like Arkansas, Mississippi, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Central Florida, Memphis and the Big 12 schools.

Reactions: Maroon13

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
We are in with the SEC as a charter member. Y'all forget that somebody has to lose to bolster the highest $ teams. Our program has been successful enough in the past to keep us among the elites. We just need a good marketing plan to keep eyes on our program.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
If we are truly worried about getting "left behind" by the SEC all we have to do is not be one of the two worst teams in the SEC. I'd say we're already ahead of Vanderbilt, after that I don't think we're far behind the likes of Kentucky/South Carolina. Missouri had a really good year this year, but outside of that I feel like we're perennially better than they are. We've played them twice since they joined the conference and won both of those games.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Sankey’s daughter went to State. State grads run the AD departments at Auburn and Florida. We have some connections, but Keenum can’t save us. He is the reason things have gone to hell.
Stricklin is getting fired soon. Cohen isn't a friend at all. Forgot about Sankey's daughter but Sankey might not be in charge at that point and he's killing us with the schedules in all sports going into the expanded conference. Any change is a few years away IMO.
Keenum sucks as a President but he's got some swing.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
As everyone knows, when money, status and power are involved, tradition and principles are respected. State is a founding member of the SEC and has an awesome and expensive baseball stadium so the big boys won't screw us over ever and nor with the networks***

Ole Miss seems to have figured it out. Get the rich graduates and supporters to donate to the collective and hire a dynamic coach with personality talented young athletes are drawn to.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I don't know if you guys understand how power works. The top 4-5 schools in the SEC have the power. Bama, UT, UGA, LSU, UF aren't going to give up the power they have in the SEC to move to another organization. Texas and Oklaomo will make the SEC even more powerful. The aforementioned teams aren't going to leave a dominate situation where they hold most of the power and move to another organization where they would have to share power will equally big fish (USC, Mich, TOSU, ND, FSU, UNC, Penn State, etc).

No Big 10/SEC school is going to leave their conference, their power, their protection, their strength, that'd be stupid.

The Big 10/SEC will not be part of the path forward, they will be the path forward.

Texas, Florida, NY, they're not leaving the US, Scotland's not leaving the UK, BC isn't leaving Canada.
If those schools are offered $150 million, which is what the math says they are worth, then all its going to take is a couple.

Ohio State, Michigan, USC - those three would jump on a dime. If they create a domino effect amongst the other power players in the B1G, combined with the ACC/Big 12 power teams, its going to create enormous pressure on the SEC power teams.

I'm just glad its not just me railing on SPS anymore - legitimate media is saying the same thing. We're a decade away from this. Since the networks run college football, its going to be whatever they want.
Do they want a 24-team league? We're out.
32? We need to have some good seasons over the next few years.
40+ we should be alright.

While I fully believe this is the future, if the Coast to Coast B1G is a complete financial disaster, we may see that this isn't feasible. The LA schools are crap college football schools, even when they are winning. That's what I am watching closely over the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: StateCollege

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
If we are truly worried about getting "left behind" by the SEC all we have to do is not be one of the two worst teams in the SEC. I'd say we're already ahead of Vanderbilt, after that I don't think we're far behind the likes of Kentucky/South Carolina. Missouri had a really good year this year, but outside of that I feel like we're perennially better than they are. We've played them twice since they joined the conference and won both of those games.
First off, why would the cut off be the bottom two teams? The whole point of the breakaway league would be to get rid of programs like us that are a drain on the blue bloods in revenue sharing. The SEC elite would leave to cut us loose, why would they bring us along?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
The system is broken beyond repair. Teams are the best they can afford…everyone of them. CFB has gotten larger than any entity that could try to regulate it. Any school or employee trying to regulate anything and play by rules is wasting their time and creating undue hindrance. I don’t like it but I can see it. The extreme moves it would take to get it back to any sort of amateur sport would not be received well by most involved.

“System?” That’s a kind way to define it

Reactions: Coast_Dawg

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
If those schools are offered $150 million, which is what the math says they are worth, then all its going to take is a couple.

Ohio State, Michigan, USC - those three would jump on a dime. If they create a domino effect amongst the other power players in the B1G, combined with the ACC/Big 12 power teams, its going to create enormous pressure on the SEC power teams.

I'm just glad its not just me railing on SPS anymore - legitimate media is saying the same thing. We're a decade away from this. Since the networks run college football, its going to be whatever they want.

While I fully believe this is the future, if the Coast to Coast B1G is a complete financial disaster, we may see that this isn't feasible. The LA schools are crap college football schools, even when they are winning. That's what I am watching closely over the next couple of years.
There are still a number of issues. The networks aren’t exactly dying to spend more money on this. If they were so intrigued by better matchups espn would have told the sec to go to 9 games when they bought the cbs contract. As of now it doesn’t appear they even want to pay for anymore games.

the other issue is how will the new world (the one that’s definitely coming with contracts) be structured. Joe Tess talked about how it could easily be a world where FB is not actually a part of the school and the players don’t go to class. How does the BIG feel about that ?

it’s all incredibly way too complex to rely on some lazy copycat takes from writers who don’t consider everything

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

The conferences picking up all the Pac12 schools are going to regret that in a few years. The financial burden of travel alone will annihilate their budgets.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
First off, why would the cut off be the bottom two teams? The whole point of the breakaway league would be to get rid of programs like us that are a drain on the blue bloods in revenue sharing. The SEC elite would leave to cut us loose, why would they bring us along?
I truly believe we are headed to an NFL style system with 2 large conferences. SEC/B1G I think the SEC will pick up the rest of the high profile southern teams Clemson, FSU, UNC, Miami and probably cut the 2 lowest producing teams to be able to revenue share better. I don't think there will be a "breakaway league" it will be these two conferences separating from the NCAA.

patdog

May 28, 2007
it’s all incredibly way too complex to rely on some lazy copycat takes from writers who don’t consider everything

not to mention the media has pretty much been wrong and/or caught completely by surprise at every turn in conference realignment. They don’t have any more clue what’s going to happen than we do.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I truly believe we are headed to an NFL style system with 2 large conferences. SEC/B1G I think the SEC will pick up the rest of the high profile southern teams Clemson, FSU, UNC, Miami and probably cut the 2 lowest producing teams to be able to revenue share better. I don't think there will be a "breakaway league" it will be these two conferences separating from the NCAA.
Right except that the NCAA will accommodate them with a 3rd Div I Elite Division. Probably with ACC & Big 12 as junior members.

Hail State

Dec 27, 2009
while not earth-shattering by any means, portend the unthinkable ....

"We’re approaching a seismic new chapter, and yet the field feels fragile. The NCAA, slow to everything, is laying the groundwork for a “super league” approach, with the biggest, best-funded schools breaking away from the lesser-funded riff raff to create their own system. Television networks—the hands behind the curtains here—will surely want a say in who makes the cut. Feelings are sure to get hurt. In any reorganization, low-rated schools are going to get dropped." -WSJ

I think we know where this is headed, don't we? Is 615 an emotional woman sometimes? Yes, but ...
I just don’t get it. If it’s all about money, which it is, how does making 60 to 80 percent of the viewing audience irrelevant make one bit of sense? Millions of fans will just go to the NFL where you have a by far better product and you don’t have to be asked to pitch in and pay for a team of entitled amateurs. Seems like suicide, but by all means continue to eat yourself, NCAA.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Right except that the NCAA will accommodate them with a 3rd Div I Elite Division. Probably with ACC & Big 12 as junior members.
I wonder what the true entrance requirements would be. It might be just who ponies up. It sucks that MSU's choice is to either join the elite group and lose/get rich, or opt to stay in the FBS/D1 or whatever and maybe win, but basically go back to 1980s revenue.

I don't think they will kick anybody out. If you have the money to be a big boy, you'll get to come on in. It'll be up to us to decide. Similar to going from FCS to FBS now, except much more expensive and having to play players with no scholarships, etc. I could see teams like Liberty and SMU just flat out buying their way in, and subsidizing the TV networks.

Also - I do think that elite division eventually would try take on the NFL, and would collapse.

I really hope some adults come along and stop it before it gets to that point. It sounds terrible.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

Hail State

Dec 27, 2009
That’s hilarious. There is no way Ole Miss gets left out. Us on the other hand, we are infinitely leave-behind-able. Wazzu & Oregon St are our contemporaries. We just have the SEC welfare check, for now. I’m not dooming and glooming. It’s just as plain as day for anyone not blinded by school loyalty.
This post is dumb.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I just don’t get it. If it’s all about money, which it is, how does making 60 to 80 percent of the viewing audience irrelevant make one bit of sense? Millions of fans will just go to the NFL where you have a by far better product and you don’t have to be asked to pitch in and pay for a team of entitled amateurs. Seems like suicide, but by all means continue to eat yourself, NCAA.
If I was the NCAA, I'd conveniently let them leave and start their independent division. That's what they want. I get that the NCAA wants to hold onto power, but I'd just sit back and watch, and still allow them to play NCAA basketball, etc. I mean they'd still have roughly half the FBS teams stay with them, and form a new playoff.

But.....they've already ruined their product with NIL and the portal. So it may be too late.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I wonder what the true entrance requirements would be. It might be just who ponies up. It sucks that MSU's choice is to either join the elite group and lose/get rich, or opt to stay in the FBS/D1 or whatever and maybe win, but basically go back to 1980s revenue.

I don't think they will kick anybody out. If you have the money to be a big boy, you'll get to come on in. It'll be up to us to decide. Similar to going from FCS to FBS now, except much more expensive and having to play players with no scholarships, etc. I could see teams like Liberty and SMU just flat out buying their way in, and subsidizing the TV networks.

Also - I do think that elite division eventually would try take on the NFL, and would collapse.

I really hope some adults come along and stop it before it gets to that point. It sounds terrible.
I don’t think anyone in college football is dumb enough to try to take on the NFL. They know the NFL would crush them. They schedule even the playoffs and championship game around the NFL so they don’t have to compete with them.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Greenbean makes a good point about power. I can't see Alabama or OHSt wanting to change the current structure. They are on top of it all right now with 3/4 of their schedule not even close to competing. They Will politic as long as they can to keep the status quo.

The rub is everyone is starting to figure out some schools have zero chance to win games against bluebloods. When those ratings start collapsing, tv will have a stand off with the leagues and we shall see who blinks first. Tv has the power.... that is money.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
The accountants and economic evaluators are making some terrible assumptions. First of which is, “If we kick Mississippi State, Illinois, Washington State, Central Florida, Indiana, Houston, etc, etc, etc out of the “big league, then their fans will STILL watch Alabama vs Auburn, Ohio State vs Michigan, and the new CFP just like they always have. I think that’s a very bad assumption.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The rub is everyone is starting to figure out some schools have zero chance to win games against bluebloods. When those ratings start collapsing, tv will have a stand off with the leagues and we shall see who blinks first. Tv has the power.... that is money.
I think some of this is negated by the playoff. Now the small G5 actually has hope of being included. They’ll never win, but they’ll be included. They actually have a better shot that we do, theoretically, to make the playoff. That’s the trade off for money.

Plus, the big schools will beat each other up during the season. Tis their cross to bear.

Reactions: Maroon13

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The accountants and economic evaluators are making some terrible assumptions. First of which is, “If we kick Mississippi State, Illinois, Washington State, Central Florida, Indiana, Houston, etc, etc, etc out of the “big league, then their fans will STILL watch Alabama vs Auburn, Ohio State vs Michigan, and the new CFP just like they always have. I think that’s a very bad assumption.
I think it's a good assumption. I will watch the cotton bowl tonight. I will watch all three playoff games.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
It's already happening. My give-a-shite meter for college football is already about to flat line and I truly loved the game for most of my life.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Has anyone in the media discussed the schedules of what a "premiere league" would look like, and the impact on future records?
Assuming a purely-league 12-game schedule, I would think even the Bama's and UGA's of the world would be hard-pressed to win more than 10 games.
It sounds fun for year one, but image a "college football" with no Top 25 (maybe a Top 5 or ten, but who starts to care with those numbers), no one managing a perfect season, and "bowl" matchups against the same teams every 3-4 years. Once the newness wore off, that would just be NFL-lite, and aside from fans of the schools in it, no one would watch.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Has anyone in the media discussed the schedules of what a "premiere league" would look like, and the impact on future records?
Assuming a purely-league 12-game schedule, I would think even the Bama's and UGA's of the world would be hard-pressed to win more than 10 games.
It sounds fun for year one, but image a "college football" with no Top 25 (maybe a Top 5 or ten, but who starts to care with those numbers), no one managing a perfect season, and "bowl" matchups against the same teams every 3-4 years. Once the newness wore off, that would just be NFL-lite, and aside from fans of the schools in it, no one would watch.
I don’t think a team would care about losses in an NFL style format. But the latter is true. The intrigue of Michigan-Texas or LSU-Ohio State will wear off (See SECs 6-1-1 model as a smaller example). And no one is paying billions for an inventory of 11 games a weekend.
The other thing people gloss over is more teams have gotten into the big money mix than been left out. Only 2 have been left behind and that was only due to egregious malpractice by the conference execs.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I honestly had no idea the Cotton Bowl was tonight & don’t have a clue who’s playing.
Same. I had forgotten we were even in bowl season. I have zero interest in an exhibition bowl and would barely watch if MSU was playing.

I will watch the playoff though. That's just where we are right now. Those games matter.

People wonder what changed. Well, in 2005, the 'slotting' of bowl games mattered, and where you finished mattered. In a way, I do think the BCS system MAY have survived had they figured out a true way of slotting bowls based on merit/power ranking/whatever, rather than conference tie-ins.

But now that we have a playoff, the playoff is all that matters. The 4-teamer was always the worst idea of all. Should have went straight to 16 in my opinion.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
while not earth-shattering by any means, portend the unthinkable ....

"We’re approaching a seismic new chapter, and yet the field feels fragile. The NCAA, slow to everything, is laying the groundwork for a “super league” approach, with the biggest, best-funded schools breaking away from the lesser-funded riff raff to create their own system. Television networks—the hands behind the curtains here—will surely want a say in who makes the cut. Feelings are sure to get hurt. In any reorganization, low-rated schools are going to get dropped." -WSJ

I think we know where this is headed, don't we? Is 615 an emotional woman sometimes? Yes, but ...
We’ve got 10 years to turn things around - on and off the field. If we don’t, I hope y’all like the idea of sharing what’s left of the SEC with USM, Memphis, Troy, etc.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
I think it's a good assumption. I will watch the cotton bowl tonight. I will watch all three playoff games.
We haven’t been kicked out of the big league yet. Even still, I doubt I’ll watch any of the Cotton Bowl tonight. These bowl games with all the opt outs are just exhibitions now anyway. But if we get “relegated”, I’ll never watch a second of the “big league college football” again, strictly out of principle. And I doubt I’m the only one who feels like this. I have no interest in watching a college sports league that Mississippi State isn’t a part of. It will match the current interest level I have in Division 2 college football.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
I don’t think I ever discussed this on here before, but my closest friend has a contact in the SEC office. Last year, he told me they were working on a SEC playoff format at roughly the same time as they were discussing pods or rotating schedules. His contact wasn’t privy to the why a SEC playoff was being discussed. We postulated that they were working to lead a breakaway or be ready when it happened.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I honestly had no idea the Cotton Bowl was tonight & don’t have a clue who’s playing.
This is the comment that strikes fear in the heart of those putting up money for TV contracts: Apathy.

I wonder when that tipping point will be reached, and what it will look like if/when it happens.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login