The Program Is At A Major Crossroads...

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Those of you who pine for the days of King Jackie, those offenses were boring as hell. Go back and watch some of those games. Some of them were like pulling teeth. Defense and special teams won many games under Sherrill. But now all of a sudden, we need an explosive, point scoring offense to get fans to the stadium. Winning doesn’t matter anymore. I can’t believe I’d ever see a day where State fans would turn their nose up at a 9-4 season because the offense wasn’t exciting enough. But then again, we do have some really stupid fans.
I agree. I was never a Jackie fan. He played the statistics game and lost some games he should have won. Football is an emotional sport just like all sports. I remember Stansbury pulling players after they made 2 3 point shots in a row. Same statistics mind where the player has to rest at a certain time mark. To me that is just stupid. I say feed the beast and d*mn the torpedoes!

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
Can you list off the other P5 jobs that Arnett would have been given an interview for last cycle? I'd like to see the list.
Yo homey I'm not saying he should or shouldn't get the job or be fired ...I just want to know what you people say should be the expectations for his successor? Simple question what is your criteria? ....should they run everything by you?

Reactions: olblue

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I'm not in the crowd you mentioned, but I'll play the game, because I enjoy that analyzation.

1) Offensive or defensive head coach does not matter. But the head guy needs to stay on his side of the ball, outside of #3.
2) Either be an experienced head coach in his 50s, or a coordinator with a solid resume (generally at least 5 years) of experience under an established, winning coach (generally on the head coach's side of the ball).
3) Be committed to an innovative run-based spread and a dual threat QB.
4) Defense is MSU's calling card, we can never be weak there. Most of our awful hapless seasons correspond with awful defensive drops. Most NIL is spent here.
5) Understands or is made to understand our recruiting footprint.

Funny - Arnett COULD and should fit into this list. But he violated some basic fundamental rules.
Soooo just to be clear....it's about style of play vs. results ?
Making it to high level bowls often, Being competitive for the 12 team playoff, Actually trying to be active in the portal and not "Running it back" with what you have, Making the pitch to our fans and boosters that we need NIL money to compete at the highest level and not just to "Bring Back" players we have, Being competitive and winning some games against LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, & Oklahoma, Recruiting Nationally and in the Top 25 ever single year, Making it to a Bowl Game every single year...
not sure 10 programs in the country will fit that criteria ...but ok

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I'm not in the crowd you mentioned, but I'll play the game, because I enjoy that analyzation.

1) Offensive or defensive head coach does not matter. But the head guy needs to stay on his side of the ball, outside of #3.
2) Either be an experienced head coach in his 50s, or a coordinator with a solid resume (generally at least 5 years) of experience under an established, winning coach (generally on the head coach's side of the ball).
3) Be committed to an innovative run-based spread and a dual threat QB.
4) Defense is MSU's calling card, we can never be weak there. Most of our awful hapless seasons correspond with awful defensive drops. Most NIL is spent here.
5) Understands or is made to understand our recruiting footprint.

Funny - Arnett COULD and should fit into this list. But he violated some basic fundamental rules.
So style of play and defensive identity are the sole criteria for evaluating whether someone should should be kept...I can see that and actually that is my biggest concern with this team .....but we are going to fire a first time head coach after one season

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I find the "Jackie's offenses were boring" interesting. Because he was a defensive guy that hired OCs. When Brown was here, we ran an option offense. Then Arians... we threw it. The 1994 offense was one of the most explosive offenses to ever play at Mississippi State, at that time. We had a lot of offensive talent on that 94 team. Then we ran and passed well during the Madkin years.

Just saying.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Making it to high level bowls often, Being competitive for the 12 team playoff, Actually trying to be active in the portal and not "Running it back" with what you have, Making the pitch to our fans and boosters that we need NIL money to compete at the highest level and not just to "Bring Back" players we have, Being competitive and winning some games against LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, & Oklahoma, Recruiting Nationally and in the Top 25 ever single year, Making it to a Bowl Game every single year.
Just what we need. Another delusional Genes Pager.

Reactions: Maroon13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So style of play and defensive identity are the sole criteria for evaluating whether someone should should be kept...I can see that and actually that is my biggest concern with this team .....but we are going to fire a first time head coach after one season
Sort of. It’s about maximizing the talent we typically get. Do that for a long time then we start talking about recruiting better.

You can take a program to 6-8 wins with a decent coach. To get beyond (consistently) that it takes time and a strategy. And a program/fanbase pulling in the right direction ie CULTURE

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I wish Leach had been coach this year just to settle this argument. It would have been his guys and they knew his offense. I strongly suspect some people who dog cuss the air raid would have been eating crow. We will never know.

That being said, I will take 9-4 with ugly offense every day and twice on sunday

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login