The Queen of classic rock thread got me thinking

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
About most played song still played on radio.

Since streaming services now are more popular than radio, I don’t listen to radio as much as I used to, but when I do Z106 out of Jackson still gets my attention.

Seems like every time I listen, “I Love Rock and Roll” comes on.

Is this the most played song that’s 30+ year’s old? What say you?

Reactions: Dawgg

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
That song is one of my least favorites. Actually, it’s not even on my radar and will turn the station if it comes on. It’s a fun song and easy to sing along with, but it does nothing for me.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
There are several "overplayed" songs if you are speaking strictly rock music that come to mind

Welcome to the Jungle
Highway to Hell
We Will Rock You
Jack and Diane
Free Bird

There are more approaching that territory but regardless I don't necessarily turn those songs off if I hear them come on.

Reactions: Bulldawg56

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
i saw a stat a few years ago that said that Yesterday by the Beatles is the most played radio song of all time and i never hear it played on the radio, like, for real. this was a few years ago so if it is no longer #1 , my bad...

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
More than A feeling
Tom Sawyer
Don’t Stop Believing
Some Kansas/38 Special song

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
About most played song still played on radio.

Since streaming services now are more popular than radio, I don’t listen to radio as much as I used to, but when I do Z106 out of Jackson still gets my attention.

Seems like every time I listen, “I Love Rock and Roll” comes on.

Is this the most played song that’s 30+ year’s old? What say you?
Z106 had John Boy and Billy on in the AM for years. They were annoying, but mostly kept to low brow humor and did play some music. Now Z106 has on a couple of idiots that mostly talk politics. Why do we need talk on a music station? I can get politics, current events and pop culture through dozens of other sources, just play effing music Z106!

Reactions: Anon1697564126

kired

Aug 22, 2008
This was 20 years ago… but for ~2 years I had an hour long commute and I’d listen to the radio a lot. Almost every day I’d hear that damn Sledgehammer song.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Everybody is Tipsy by Shaboozie! Never heard of the song or the singer until a month ago, it’s everywhere. Country, pop, TV, it’s everywhere.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
"I Love Rock n Roll" was written as a Knee Jerk response to The Stones' "It's Only Rock 'n Roll". Jett's song is way over played not the latter.

Outside of ""Take it to The Limit", "New Kid in Town", & "Hotel CA", The Eagles are over played. They are generic and "safe" for radio in being okay for all types.

Kansas, Styx Foreigner, 80's & 90's Hair Bands (Chicks with Dicks) are all over played.

I used to like "Tunes Till Noon" on Sundays back when living in Jackson.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
"I Love Rock n Roll" was written as a Knee Jerk response to The Stones' "It's Only Rock 'n Roll". Jett's song is way over played not the latter.

Outside of ""Take it to The Limit", "New Kid in Town", & "Hotel CA", The Eagles are over played. They are generic and "safe" for radio in being okay for all types.

Kansas, Styx Foreigner, 80's & 90's Hair Bands (Chicks with Dicks) are all over played.

I used to like "Tunes Till Noon" on Sundays back when living in Jackson.
Outside of Hotel California The Eagles are overplayed?? That’s like saying I want to hear more Skynard deep tracks such as Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Outside of Hotel California The Eagles are overplayed?? That’s like saying I want to hear more Skynard deep tracks such as Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama.
I forgot to include *China Grove*. Pretty Good song but if I never hafta listen to "Life in the Fast Lane" or "Desperado" etc... that would be cool. Overall a generic band mostly. Too much middle of the road stuff.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Bon Jovi Sux Too. "Living With No Pair". REO Speedwagon has sucked since after *Time for me to Fly" and "Riding the Storm Out" came out. Aerosmith has sucked since after the album with "Dude Looks Like a Lady".

Allman Bros, Clapton, Rod Stewart, Bob Dylan etc..Deserve more airplay.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bon Jovi Sux Too. "Living With No Pair". REO Speedwagon has sucked since after *Time for me to Fly" and "Riding the Storm Out" came out. Aerosmith has sucked since after the album with "Dude Looks Like a Lady".
Thank you! Except last good song Aerosmith had was the remix of Walk This Way with Run DMC.

also, Gary Richrath WAS REO Speedwagon. When Kevin Cronin started taking over, they went to sh*t.

Last edited:

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024

"Bring It On Home" is bad azz in the car when it's going back & forth from one speaker to the other.

*Ramble On", "The Rover", "Hey Hey What Can I Do", "Tangerine", "Thank You" and "The Rain Song" need more air time. Having Bonham & Page in the same band just wasn't fair.

Here's The Rain Song backed by an orchestra with Plant & Page on acoustic. Wait till the end if you've never seen.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Thank you! Except last good song Aerosmith had was the remix of Walk This Way with Run DMC.

also, Gary Richrath WAS REO Speedwagon. When Kevin Cronin started taking over, they went to sh*t.
I'd go as far as saying Permanent Vacation was their last good album and that's a music hill I'd die on. Pump was okay but they changed their sound and turned into a ****** chick band at that point.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
These are ones I will usually change the channel when they come on:

Sweet Home Alabama
Hotel California
Stairway to Heaven
Freebird
Hurts So Good
Little Pink Houses
Lovein’ Touchin’ Squeezin’
Anyway You Want it
More Than A Feeling
Best Friends Girl
Double Vision
Feel Like Makin Love
Fly Like an Eagle

There’s probably more but I can’t think of them off the top of my head.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
"Bring It On Home" is bad azz in the car when it's going back & forth from one speaker to the other.

*Ramble On", "The Rover", "Hey Hey What Can I Do", "Tangerine", "Thank You" and "The Rain Song" need more air time. Having Bonham & Page in the same band just wasn't fair.

Here's The Rain Song backed by an orchestra with Plant & Page on acoustic. Wait till the end if you've never seen.

“In the Evening” is one of my favorites.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I had a customer that was a member of REO Speedwagon, Greg Philbin. Really nice guy and had some cool stories. He passed years ago from cancer unfortunately.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I had a customer that was a member of REO Speedwagon, Greg Philbin. Really nice guy and had some cool stories. He passed years ago from cancer unfortunately.
By all accounts, he was a really good guy. Cool that you got to know him.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
These are ones I will usually change the channel when they come on:

Sweet Home Alabama
Hotel California
Stairway to Heaven
Freebird
Hurts So Good
Little Pink Houses
Lovein’ Touchin’ Squeezin’
Anyway You Want it
More Than A Feeling
Best Friends Girl
Double Vision
Feel Like Makin Love
Fly Like an Eagle

There’s probably more but I can’t think of them off the top of my head.
Man has a list.

you-just-made-the-list-chris-jericho.gif

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Tunes til Two was on Z106 on Sundays. Hosted by David Adcock. Was great listening heading back to Starkville back in the late 80s & early 90s.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
“In the Evening” is one of my favorites.
There are a ton of great Led Zeppelin songs that never get played. Just off the top of my head:
Ten Years Gone
No Quarter
Custard Pie
When the Levee Breaks
In My Time of Dying
The Rain Song

Not trying to one-up but it’s criminal how crappy radio has become.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login