The roller coaster ride that is being a State fan...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Let's keep going. We have our dream season with our dream QB and get to #1. Ole Miss right behind us. Cover of SI? With Ole Miss. Season ends on the floor of Bryant-Denny against a lesser than normal Bama, then of course we lost to Ole Miss and the Orange Bowl. Season went from one of the greatest highs ever in MSU fandom to just total and complete disappointment.

As far as Ole Miss, it's almost like we're just destined to be tied to them. John Grisham accepted it long ago.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It could have been a lot worse. If we hadn’t won that title in 2021, Mississippi’s title this year would have really pissed me off.
Well, that's certainly an angle that I've never considered. However, I'd counter and say that there's no doubt that Bianco made some desperate moves he'd likely never have made had we not won it all. Same as he did in 2014 after we finished 2nd and the pressure was ramped up.

We do the same things when they have success. Look how crazy our fans are now that they've beaten us twice in football, even though we've got a pretty good team.

Reactions: patdog

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Let's keep going. We have our dream season with our dream QB and get to #1. Ole Miss right behind us. Cover of SI? With Ole Miss. Season ends on the floor of Bryant-Denny against a lesser than normal Bama, then of course we lost to Ole Miss and the Orange Bowl. Season went from one of the greatest highs ever in MSU fandom to just total and complete disappointment.

As far as Ole Miss, it's almost like we're just destined to be tied to them. John Grisham accepted it long ago.
Dude - you've got to quit basing your sports emotions on what om does.

I'd honestly forgotten they'd won the natty, even though I planned on getting my dad some stuff for christmas (he's unfortunately a lifelong om fan). Thanks for the reminder though.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It could have been a lot worse. If we hadn’t won that title in 2021, Mississippi’s title this year would have really pissed me off.
I knew it was coming when Tennessee lost the Super Regional to Notre Dame.

Ole Miss’s pitching staff was by far the most impressive staff of the tournament.

I posted the Ed Truck shaking young Michael Scott’s hand image a few times…

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Never forget they had to endure a year of us having a natty and them not having one. Something we've yet to have to endure. Good times.

Reactions: Motodawg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It's always something. Everytime I start drinking the kool-aid we get kicked in the nuts. Of course I was super wooly before the KY game. I have only been falling for the Lucy football kick scam for about 50 years. I'm sure they will reel me back in before the Egg Bowl only to swipe the ball away last minute

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
*17 all this bellying aching BS! It's time to get our **** in order and be better.

Last edited:

fieldcorporal

Nov 1, 2010
This is fanatics ole miss championship banner. I wonder if they really won?

wincraft-ole-miss-rebels-2022-ncaa-mens-baseball-college-world-series-champions-375-x-19-stree...jpg

Attachments

• 1666204244446.png
    1666204244446.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 1666204580366.jpeg
    1666204580366.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 3

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
I graduate and the next semester, The Union Grill drops the Cheap Half of a Fried Chicken and Green Fluffy Stuff Jello!!!! Been 5o years now and I still can't forgive them!!!! ****

Reactions: was21

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Been following STATE since I was 6 so that makes 53 years for me so I remember much darker days / decades of suck than what we experience now. I remember being at DWS watching a Felker coached team down by 7 drive the ball down the field ALL on the ground against a reeling / exhausted AU D for a TD with only seconds remaining in the game bringing us to within 1 but Felker chose the sister kisser (no O.T. back then) and the PAT was blocked or missed. During those times, we would sell out our home games to the Blue Bloods. Some people vainly look at the suckage that's going on now at LSU and AU and think "naw, could never happen to us"....

Last edited:
Reactions: was21

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017

This was a complete disappointment. While I like to blame Dan for his failure to coach us up against Bama, Ole Miss, and Ga Tech. Hell, it was his fault. nevertheless, we were no where near as good as OM was that year. Those guys and Jeesus Freezus were the ones who truly shat away their opportunity that year . They got tripped up by LSU, broken by Aubie, and blown out by Arkie and TCU.
The next year they lost to memphis and arkansas with a team that easily could have made the CFB playoffs. In their losing 2016 Hooker season, we finally won--- only to turn around in Dan's 'get the 17 out Starkville year' to lose to Matt Luke.
Its gawdawful being a loser to OM. and right now there is little doubt who has the better coaching staff and better team.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Those guys and Jeesus Freezus were the ones who truly shat away their opportunity that year .
Yeah you've got a good point here. You know you've got it rolling when Bama and Georgia start coming around crying about getting you on probation.

Clemson probably ultimately beats Ole Miss in 2015, but they definitely had a playoff caliber team.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Beat A&M
Beat Arkansas
See Will Rogers' post game "Dawgs Win aGAIN" tee shirt
Order two of them
They're on back order
Look forward to beating Kentucky
Lose to Kentucky
tee shirts come in after loss to Kentucky
Regret buying them
Yep exact same experience complete with the "dusty crimson" lettering. Reminds me of last year when we installed the flag pole to raise the Dogs Win Again flag after wins at DNF and got to do it what seemed like 5 times all year.
Also picked up my NC license plates last week and have to say a bit of the thrill was gone putting them on my cars between a year and a half later, coming in last and you know what happened. Just wait until OM ends up in Atlanta and we'll really be at the bottom of the roller coaster ride (eyeroll)

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I think we as MSU fans have a desire to prove naysayers wrong in life and in sports. We are fans of, and in life, may be, the underdog hoping for that rise to superiority that seemingly will never come. And then it does, and it is amazing, and then the pricks next door do the exact same thing and the taste of the accomplishment is spoiled.

It is a tough hobby cheering for the maroon and white. I enjoy it, but son of ***** sometimes I hate it.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I think we as MSU fans have a desire to prove naysayers wrong in life and in sports. We are fans of, and in life, may be, the underdog hoping for that rise to superiority that seemingly will never come. And then it does, and it is amazing, and then the pricks next door do the exact same thing and the taste of the accomplishment is spoiled.

It is a tough hobby cheering for the maroon and white. I enjoy it, but son of ***** sometimes I hate it.

The struggle is real but so are most State fans!

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
I’d wear my DWA Camo Sweatshirt to the Baseball Exhibition Game tonight & the game tomorrow w/my Bama Buddy if it had come in……

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
. I remember being at DWS watching a Felker coached team down by 7 drive the ball down the field ALL on the ground against a reeling / exhausted AU D for a TD with only seconds remaining in the game bringing us to within 1 but Felker chose the sister kisser (no O.T. back then) and the PAT was blocked or missed.
Ol David Fair.... just bulldozing over Auburn all the way for the TD and Rocky says.... meh let's kick. Hahahaha.

I recall the PAT was blocked. But ... same result.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Ol David Fair.... just bulldozing over Auburn all the way for the TD and Rocky says.... meh let's kick. Hahahaha.

I recall the PAT was blocked. But ... same result.
Yep, I was there. Didn't know whether to "like" your post or do the "angry" one cuz it pisses me off thinking about it. Thanks for the clarifiation on the sister kisser PAT. I'll always love Rocky's passion for STATE and I respect him when he says these days "I just wasn't ready for the job".

Reactions: Maroon13

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Scared Roller Coaster GIF

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Beat A&M
Beat Arkansas
See Will Rogers' post game "Dawgs Win aGAIN" tee shirt
Order two of them
They're on back order
Look forward to beating Kentucky
Lose to Kentucky
tee shirts come in after loss to Kentucky
Regret buying them
DEER LORD MAKE IT STOP

DONUT START ME ON THE TORTUOUS CAROSELL THAT IS BEING A MISS'IPPI &TATE BULLDOG FAN. AS SOON AS I GET CALMED DOWN, THEY DO STUFF TO GET ME EMOTIONALLY INVOLVED AGAIN - SOMETIMES GOODLY AND SOMETIMES BADLY

ITS LIKE HAVING AN EX_WIFE.

AMEN

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Goes a lot deeper than that. You simply cannot top winning our first national title, and Ole Miss following it up literally the next year while we suck.
This right here was the most "We Are MSU" event to ever happen. Like.....what are the d@mn odds?! Unbelievable. It quite literally felt like your baby brother acting out, desperately trying to show you up while your parents (the baseball Gods, dead Natives, Karma) happily gave him whatever he wanted to shut him up, only to satisfy him now with the same mediocre toy they've been using for decades (but it works THIS time, of course)..while at the same time getting to emotionally harass you for their entertainment because deep down they hate your d@mn guts.

Last edited:

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
The ROI on my engineering degree from State has been tremendous over the last 35 years. My bro-in-law has a degree from Ole Miss and is a banker in south Florida making at least 3x what I manage to pull down each year. I hate those 17ers. We r mstate.

Poppy IV

Nov 24, 2016
Everyone has a circle they go through. Mine starts with this is my alma mater(‘78), and I wear my colors and support the team regardless of record. Tech and 10 anyone? Then reality sets in with money. We’re not in the Ivy League where sports is not such big business and spending the weekend on campus for a rivalry game is more about networking than kicking the opponents asses. We’re in the SEC. The SEC club is a culture unto itself. It’s big business and we alumni are called on to supplement the academic side, as well as fund athletics alongside the money derived from the market. Coaches and athletic staff paid exorbitant amounts to “get the best “. We are measured by budget size per victory. In that regard we’re fairly efficient. In the end though it’s still recruiting talented kids to carry the torch. We love all who wear maroon and white.
Hired guns just passing through though are just that. Quite a way to make a living. And all dependent upon the hordes of alumni like you and me drinking the KoolAid (and Maker’s Mark) and going to “ball games“.
Instead of deer hunting.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login