The Touhys respond.....

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
adam sandler tramp GIF

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If I read that right Sean Touhy is basically saying it was all a scheme to get him to Ole Miss?

Also, again if I read that right: Sean Sr says they only got $14 k each from the writer of the book a nothing from the movie. Sean Jr says only he got $70k in movie royalties. They might need to get together and get their stories straight.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Moral of the story - don't get involved in the sleaze that is college sports recruiting.

A lot of this sounds like Oher's 'posse' probably trying to tell him that the rich white folks screwed him, but at the same time the Tuohy's know damn well they wouldn't even be 17ing with him had he not been a 5 star offensive lineman who they wanted to go to Ole Miss. I also imagine they loved the status behind it, but like he said, they (Tuohys) didn't need the money. So there's a lot of bullshlt in this story.

Funny thing is, all they got out of this was a 9-4 season. But I will say this, for those of you that remember, that 2008 Ole Miss team was good and they were wrecking sh*t at the end of the year. Glad the playoff wasn't around back then because they might have won it (assuming an 8-4 team could get in).

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Funny thing is, all they got out of this was a 9-4 season. But I will say this, for those of you that remember, that 2008 Ole Miss team was good and they were wrecking sh*t at the end of the year. Glad the playoff wasn't around back then because they might have won it (assuming an 8-4 team could get in).
They wouldn't have sniffed the playoff in 2008. They weren't ranked until after the Egg Bowl and even then it was #25. They ended the season with their highest ranking: #20.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They wouldn't have sniffed the playoff in 2008. They weren't ranked until after the Egg Bowl and even then it was #25. They ended the season with their highest ranking: #20.
Thanks, detail police. My point was that they were a damn good team, and perhaps the best team in the country at the end of the year.

And they were ranked #20 after the egg bowl. What if they had beaten Vanderbilt rather than fumbling on the goal line? All 4 of their losses were very close games.

The concerning part to me is that they were able to amass that level of talent. I think that team could have beaten their 2014 and 2015 teams (at the end of the year).

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Thanks, detail police. My point was that they were a damn good team, and perhaps the best team in the country at the end of the year.

And they were ranked #20 after the egg bowl. What if they had beaten Vanderbilt rather than fumbling on the goal line? All 4 of their losses were very close games.

The concerning part to me is that they were able to amass that level of talent. I think that team could have beaten their 2014 and 2015 teams (at the end of the year).
So the 20th ranked team was "perhaps the best team in the country?"

"What if they had beaten Vanderbilt rather than fumbling on the goal line?" Well, "perhaps the best team in the country" wouldn't have been in a position to lose to Vanderbilt. Hell, we didn't even manage to lose to Vanderbilt that year.

Never change, goat.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

"What if they had beaten Vanderbilt rather than fumbling on the goal line?" Well, "perhaps the best team in the country" wouldn't have been in a position to lose to Vanderbilt. Hell, we didn't even manage to lose to Vanderbilt that year.

Never change, goat.
They were the best 8-4 team in the history of college football. Okay maybe the last Fifty, FIFTY! FIFTY!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
They were the best 8-4 team in the history of college football. Okay maybe the last Fifty, FIFTY! FIFTY!
Hang a banner.

"If they hadn't fumbled at the goal line against Vandy" is almost as good as GOAT's assertion that if A&M's opener against LaTech hadn't been postponed, they would have won the national championship in 2012.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I have one question for them that we all know the answer. Would they have gone through any of this if Oher had not been a 6' 4', 315 lbs football player?
The answer is a resounding NO! Hugh Freeze was the high school coach that set the Touhy's up with Oher. Now, do you believe for a minute that this wasn't an NCAA violation? This entire "fairy tale" of a movie made Oher look bad and I don't blame him for retaliating. They had to make him look bad in the movie or people would have know that it was an illegal recruitment of a great player.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I have one question for them that we all know the answer. Would they have gone through any of this if Oher had not been a 6' 4', 315 lbs football player?
We already know that they didn't "adopt" his younger, non-athletic brothers.

Also, don't forget that Leigh Ann is the one that taught him how to play football...**

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
The Touhy's used Oher and now Oher is using the Touhy's to sell his new book. It's a family tradition.

I'm guessing the Touhy's won't be a Oher's books signing party tonight in Oxford or maybe they all get together laugh and send selfies to Freeze.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And this right here is the crux of the entire thing

Look, I get there are a lot of people out there that would rather spend their wealth on college football players than humanitarian efforts. However, what gets you in trouble is when you start turning it into some ridiculous sob story about how it's actually some bleeding heart charity work for a poor, under-privileged kid. It was BS then, and it's still BS now.

I have absolutely zero respect for any of the LIV golfers, and that's not going to ever change, but one guy I can at least tip my hat to is Harold Varner. He went on record a few months back about how he left the PGA tour for LIV for one reason. $$$, and anybody such as Norman, Mickelson, etc saying that it was to "grow the game" is full of 100% crap

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Seeing Ole Miss people side with the Tuohys over Oher is amazing. They will say they aren't taking sides, but while the rest of the country recognizes how scummy the Tuohys are, Ole Miss fans are throwing Oher under the bus, saying, "He must have run out of money," "He's trying to sell books," "The timing is suspicious," etc.

I guess they feel like the yarn that the Tuohys have spun (not to mention the money they give to the university) is more useful to them than simply a former All-American and first-round pick. They are mad that Oher is calling BS on the national feel-good story that is associated with Ole Miss.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Never change, goat.
Nice selective quoting. "at the end of the year" was an important part of the post. And of course you leave off how they beat the national champ. And destroyed the vaunted Leach team. And beat us (the team that beat Vandy that beat them) like a rented mule. Nutt had some growing pains at the beginning of the year. Like I said originally (that lame brains like you can't comprehend), I'm just glad they were the new 'good' team on the block that year, because talent-wise, they were right there with the top teams in the nation.

But we know you ignore the important parts. And don't worry, I know you'll win the thumbs-up war in this thread. I'm taking a pro-Ole Miss stance here (the correct one in this instance), so I expected the tunnel vision types to gang up.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Nice selective quoting. "at the end of the year" was an important part of the post. And of course you leave off how they beat the national champ. And destroyed the vaunted Leach team. And beat us (the team that beat Vandy that beat them) like a rented mule. Nutt had some growing pains at the beginning of the year. Like I said originally (that lame brains like you can't comprehend), I'm just glad they were the new 'good' team on the block that year, because talent-wise, they were right there with the top teams in the nation.

But we know you ignore the important parts. And don't worry, I know you'll win the thumbs-up war in this thread. I'm taking a pro-Ole Miss stance here (the correct one in this instance), so I expected the tunnel vision types to gang up.
Jumping to conclusions on SPS is likely the most exercise you get. And you serve up hot takes like Shannon Sharpe on a three day cocaine bender.

When you lose the thumbs up war, it's probably time for some self reflection. But you haven't done that in years so nobody's surprised that it isn't happening here.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
When you lose the thumbs up war, it's probably time for some self reflection. But you haven't done that in years so nobody's surprised that it isn't happening here.
That sounds like something that would concern you.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I just gotta say - if I needed money, my parents wouldn't ever give my siblings money but not me. We are treated equally in their wills. I would bet the Tuohys would give their biological children the money if they needed it too. The difference is that now they have no use for Michael Oher just like they never had any use for his non athletic siblings.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Never change, goat.
Isn’t that the team that beat Florida and destroyed Texas tech in the bowl game? Obviously they didn’t deserve to be in any hypothetical playoff but I do think at the end of the year they were one of the best teams in the country. Hard to say in football though whether a team has really improved that much over the year or just were inconsistent and happened to have better games towards the end of the year. But they looked pretty good by the end.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Isn’t that the team that beat Florida and destroyed Texas tech in the bowl game? Obviously they didn’t deserve to be in any hypothetical playoff but I do think at the end of the year they were one of the best teams in the country. Hard to say in football though whether a team has really improved that much over the year or just were inconsistent and happened to have better games towards the end of the year. But they looked pretty good by the end.
They were a good team, but "best team in the country at the end of the year" sounds like something Yancy or Spirit Ben would have trotted. Down the stretch, they beat ULM, an LSU team that finished 3-5 in the SEC, and a team coached by Sylvester Croom. The did beat a Texas Tech team that had only a few weeks before been looking at going to the BCS Championship Game. Those guys wanted to be anywhere but the damn Cotton Bowl.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
They were a good team, but "best team in the country at the end of the year" sounds like something Yancy or Spirit Ben would have trotted. Down the stretch, they beat ULM, an LSU team that finished 3-5 in the SEC, and a team coached by Sylvester Croom. The did beat a Texas Tech team that had only a few weeks before been looking at going to the BCS Championship Game. Those guys wanted to be anywhere but the damn Cotton Bowl.
I went back and looked and I apparently got suckered some by the hype and a lousy memory. The did play a good Alabama team close but also squeaked by a bad Arkansas team late in the year and lost to a mediocre USCe team. The only decent team they played while finishing the season on a 6 game winning streak was Texas Tech.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

So what you’re saying is, if they hadn’t have lost the games that they lost then the season might have been completely different. That’s quite insightful. I’m so glad you decided to share it here.

Reactions: Tripp McNeely

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Oher is channeling his inner Kaepernick
While there are some similarities, there is one HUGE difference. Colin Kaepernick was adopted at 6 weeks old. His adoptive parents had no idea he would be able to go on to the NFL. The Tuohys may have just wanted a 5 star Olineman for their school of choice, but there was at least a reasonable suspicion he may be able to go to the NFL.

It seems to me that Colin's adoptive parents did it out of love but the Tuohys did it to serve their football team of choice - even if they didn't truly think there was a chance they would make any money along the way.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You are who you are. That was the same team that lost to Vandy, Wake Forest, and South Carolina. They deserve credit for beating Florida, but were we calling A&M "perhaps the best team in the country at the end of the year" when they beat Bama a couple of seasons back? And just about anyone in that 8-4 range in the SEC would've beaten Texas Tech.

I can concede that they were a good football team. "Perhaps the best team in the country," regardless of whether it was at the end of the year, on the field after the Florida game, or whatever, is just a silly thing to say. It's a Stephen A Smith Hot Take Special.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

Ole Miss has never been the best team in the country, not even for a week.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Hang a banner.

"If they hadn't fumbled at the goal line against Vandy" is almost as good as GOAT's assertion that if A&M's opener against LaTech hadn't been postponed, they would have won the national championship in 2012.
Well if they did have a tune up game prior to UF, then yeah they may have.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Well if they did have a tune up game prior to UF, then yeah they may have.
The 'tune-up' game that they won by (checks notes) 2 pts? mmmkay

Based on that logic, they're actually lucky they DIDN'T play LaTech week 1 because LaTech might have upset them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login