There’s real pressure on LSU / Brian Kelly

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Friendly remind Brian Kelly killed a kid while at Notre Dame.

That aside, a L on Saturday and LSU’s season is basically over. That would almost end any discussion of a CFB Playoff appearance with the FSU loss. Maybe they’d have a case as a 2L SEC Champ winner, but those would be long odds.

Their fan base’s perception is these two teams are miles and miles apart. I’m not so sure that’s the case especially on the road.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It will take a very good game plus maybe a couple of lucky breaks but it's definitely not beyond the realm of possibility to be hanging a tiger skin from the rafters

Reactions: ChinaDawgSunflower

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Every time we have beaten LSU since 2003 we have had less talent. Just saying. This will probably be the week our passing is better than the running, but I am calling it now Marks will have another 100-yard game.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Their vaunted running D is ranked near the bottom of FBS currently ranks 112th giving up 4.7 per carry. That's with 50% of theirs games being against Grambling. Seems like their secondary isn't the only concern for them right now.

Not sure if marks goes for 100 but we'll be able to run for sure (well, assuming we dont forget how to pass).

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Friendly remind Brian Kelly killed a kid while at Notre Dame.

That aside, a L on Saturday and LSU’s season is basically over. That would almost end any discussion of a CFB Playoff appearance with the FSU loss. Maybe they’d have a case as a 2L SEC Champ winner, but those would be long odds.

Their fan base’s perception is these two teams are miles and miles apart. I’m not so sure that’s the case especially on the road.
Since 2014, Mississippi State has beaten LSU every three years- 2014, 2017, 2020,.......2023?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
based on the Arizona game, one would think LSU will send 5 wideouts 40 yards downfield and let Daniels run for 10-15 yards often
Limit Daniels’ rushing game, and have them kick FGs in the Red Zone.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
based on the Arizona game, one would think LSU will send 5 wideouts 40 yards downfield and let Daniels run for 10-15 yards often
Amazing he only ended up with 59 yards rushing. As Arnett pointed out he ran about 250 yards to get those 59. I thought he had more.

Reactions: onewoof

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Every time we have beaten LSU since 2003 we have had less talent. Just saying. This will probably be the week our passing is better than the running, but I am calling it now Marks will have another 100-yard game.
We also had less talent in the 17 (appropriate number) losses. So there’s that. The problem now is we don’t only have less talent, we also aren’t facing off against a halfwit like Les Miles or Ed Orgeron.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We also had less talent in the 17 (appropriate number) losses. So there’s that. The problem now is we don’t only have less talent, we also aren’t facing off against a halfwit like Les Miles or Ed Orgeron.
Those two halfwits have FBS National Championship rings. How many FBS championships has Kelly won? A Big FAT ZERO. Kelly is 4-13 against top 10 since 2010. If two halfwits can win one what does that make him who has not?

Last edited:
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Those two halfwits have FBS National Championship rings. How many FBS championships has Kelly won? A Big FAT ZERO. Kelly is 4-13 against top 10 since 2010. If two halfwits can win one what does that make him who has not?
Kelly just took a job that has a path to a national championship last season. This ain’t 1987 anymore, ND has absolutely no chance to win a natty anytime soon. They can bo longer recruit at the caliber of LSU, Bama, UGA, FSU, Ohio State, Clemson, etc, and haven’t been in that stratusphere for a long, long time.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
But we’re not facing a national championship winning coach this time.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
You beat me to it and said it better.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Kelly is no slouch. He has won more college football games than Nick Saban. You might wanna take a look at his coaching career and number of championships. I'm sure he will get it done at LSU if they give him some time. The pressure is definitely on him tho. A loss and they will be calling for his head in the bayou. I don't think many people down there have embraced his lovely personality.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Lee Sterling on the lifestyle said Barbay is trash and LSU wins going away.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
What if he gets 100 on 30 attempts? I’m curious why him getting 100+ makes you feel better?

If Marks can get 100 yards rushing against LSU, then I would assume we had a good day on offense. (The same analysis would apply to Marks getting 30 rushing attempts against LSU.)

And . . . if we had a good day on offense, then I would assume the final score was at least close.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So both Orgeron and Miles >>> Kelly? That’s absurd.

You have to try pretty hard to NOT win a national title at LSU. It’s a Top 5 job with a Top 3 talent base for recruiting. ND doesn’t have those advantages, and that’s proven time and again whenever they face just about any SEC school in a NY6 / CFP setting. He did extremely well there to just reach the NC game and the CFP another time.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
If Marks can get 100 yards rushing against LSU, then I would assume we had a good day on offense. (The same analysis would apply to Marks getting 30 rushing attempts against LSU.)

And . . . if we had a good day on offense, then I would assume the final score was at least close.
He rushed for 100 yards last week against Arizona… did you consider that a good offensive day? We had 307 total yards of offense.

I don’t think it will be good if Will has to throw the 50 times because I think that would mean we probably got behind early. But our OC has already showed he will force feed the run regardless if it’s working or not. So, I’m not going to assume it will be a good offensive day if we force feed Marks to 100 yards 3 or 4 yards per carry.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He rushed for 100 yards last week against Arizona… did you consider that a good offensive day? We had 307 total yards of offense.

I don’t think it will be good if Will has to throw the 50 times because I think that would mean we probably got behind early. But our OC has already showed he will force feed the run regardless if it’s working or not. So, I’m not going to assume it will be a good offensive day if we force feed Marks to 100 yards 3 or 4 yards per carry.
Not saying we were great offensively, but I wouldn’t call it an awful performance either. That yardage total is a bit misleading due to how many short fields we got from 5 turnovers.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Not saying we were great offensively, but I wouldn’t call it an awful performance either. That yardage total is a bit misleading due to how many short fields we got from 5 turnovers.
And we got how many points off those turnovers? The offense may get better but awful is pretty much how I would describe it through 2 weeks. No identity, no clear way of executing or moving the ball.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
And we got how many points off those turnovers? The offense may get better but awful is pretty much how I would describe it through 2 weeks. No identity, no clear way of executing or moving the ball.
We had a 30 yard drive, a 6 yard drive, and a 50 yard drive that all ended in TD’s. 2 of those 3 were off actual turnovers, the 3rd was a 30 yard drive where we returned the punt pretty close to the line of scrimmage where the snap for the punt was - so basically a turnover. Had another drive off a turnover where we missed a FG, but still picked up 30-40 yards or so.

86 yards total on those 3 TD drives, and 21 points…..did exactly what we needed to do on every drive, but you can only pick up what’s in front of you on the field. We also had the long opening drive where we fumbled out of bounds at the end. Hard to fault the offense as a whole for that. We moved the ball pretty well and finished drives before we went into a shell, which Arnett already conceded was a mistake.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
We had a 30 yard drive, a 6 yard drive, and a 50 yard drive that all ended in TD’s. 2 of those 3 were off actual turnovers, the 3rd was a 30 yard drive where we returned the punt pretty close to the line of scrimmage where the snap for the punt was - so basically a turnover. Had another drive off a turnover where we missed a FG, but still picked up 30-40 yards or so.

86 yards total on those 3 TD drives, and 21 points…..did exactly what we needed to do on every drive, but you can only pick up what’s in front of you on the field. We also had the long opening drive where we fumbled out of bounds at the end. Hard to fault the offense as a whole for that. We moved the ball pretty well and finished drives before we went into a shell, which Arnett already conceded was a mistake.
We will just have to agree to disagree on this point. The offense moved the ball well on 2 drives… the first 2 drives of the game. First one went 12 plays for 75 yards (ended in fumble) and second drive was 4 plays for 50 yards. Sure, we scored on a couple short fields but we showed no ability to consistently move the ball down the field. Again, we put together 1 drive that went the length of the field. And all that while watching a 2 TD lead disappear. Compare that to Arizona who had several long drives. Said another way, this offense displayed no ability to score without a short field being given to them. The offense is a mess.

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I have no idea how some of you can be optimistic or even marginally hopeful about this game, based on our on field product so far with this new staff. I hope and pray to God we win, but i don't see us scoring 10 points.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We will just have to agree to disagree on this point. The offense moved the ball well on 2 drives… the first 2 drives of the game. First one went 12 plays for 75 yards (ended in fumble) and second drive was 4 plays for 50 yards. Sure, we scored on a couple short fields but we showed no ability to consistently move the ball down the field. Again, we put together 1 drive that went the length of the field. And all that while watching a 2 TD lead disappear. Compare that to Arizona who had several long drives. Said another way, this offense displayed no ability to score without a short field being given to them. The offense is a mess.
We moved the bell well the entire first half outside of one drive. Even the missed FG drive should have been successful - had a well drawn up TD called back for an unnecessary hold. 10-point swing on that play.

We had 8 opportunities to have a drive 50 yards or longer. Here are the results:

1) 75 yard drive with a fumble at the goal line
2) 50 yard drive for a TD
3) 3 and out
4) 36 yard missed FG drive that should have been 59 yard TD drive without dumb hold.
5) 3 and out
6) 31 yard drive before punting
7) 57 yard drive for FG
8) 3 and out

We moved the ball well on 4 of 8 of the drives, sorta OK on one, then we had the three 3 and outs which weren’t great. Again, we weren’t awesome but weren’t terrible either.

Its also interesting you call out Arizona as being great because they had several long drives, when the two teams’ yards per play was virtually identical. AZ was at 5.98, but was at 5.38 before the 49 yard pass on their final drive in regulation which was way more of a product of our awful defense than anything they did. We were at 5.65 ourselves.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012

Anyone know if Davis and Price will be good to go? I saw Davis twist his knee and come off, then didn't see him again.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yours’ and @GloryDawg’s points are dumb. Kelly also has never been at a national championship caliber program. And even at ND, he at least made the title game and playoff. Kelly is a better coach than Miles and O and only a lamebrain would dispute this.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Limit Daniels’ rushing game, and have them kick FGs in the Red Zone.
We stop their QB we win the game. Bottom line. They do have a WR out this week and a starting Line Backer.
Kelly just took a job that has a path to a national championship last season. This ain’t 1987 anymore, ND has absolutely no chance to win a natty anytime soon. They can bo longer recruit at the caliber of LSU, Bama, UGA, FSU, Ohio State, Clemson, etc, and haven’t been in that stratusphere for a long, long time.
He will not be at LSU very long. Mark my words.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

Right. No, I would not consider our game against Arizona to be a good offensive day.

However, I wasn't talking about the Arizona game. Rather, I was specifically talking about Marks getting 100 yards (and/or 30 rushing attempts) against LSU.

I agree with your statement that we'll be in trouble if Will has to throw 50 passes against LSU. Hopefully, our offensive attack against LSU will be more balanced than that.

• Haha
Reactions: Ranchdawg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
We moved the bell well the entire first half outside of one drive. Even the missed FG drive should have been successful - had a well drawn up TD called back for an unnecessary hold. 10-point swing on that play.

We had 8 opportunities to have a drive 50 yards or longer. Here are the results:

1) 75 yard drive with a fumble at the goal line
2) 50 yard drive for a TD
3) 3 and out
4) 36 yard missed FG drive that should have been 59 yard TD drive without dumb hold.
5) 3 and out
6) 31 yard drive before punting
7) 57 yard drive for FG
8) 3 and out

We moved the ball well on 4 of 8 of the drives, sorta OK on one, then we had the three 3 and outs which weren’t great. Again, we weren’t awesome but weren’t terrible either.

Its also interesting you call out Arizona as being great because they had several long drives, when the two teams’ yards per play was virtually identical. AZ was at 5.98, but was at 5.38 before the 49 yard pass on their final drive in regulation which was way more of a product of our awful defense than anything they did. We were at 5.65 ourselves.
Still like this offense? We don’t have a clue what we are doing right now.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login