There seem to be a lot of STL Cards fans on here...why?

DawgfromDelta

May 4, 2013
I never understood why there were not more Mets fans my age. Every year after our little league season was over, we all took a trip to Jackson to see the Jackson Mets play. I am pretty sure that I saw Darryl Strawberry play for them, could have been a rehab stint though. Anyone else remember those small bats they gave away? I also remember that they had a pitch radar set up and all of us would see who could throw the fastest.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mississippi is predominately a Cardinals territory. Braves probably a distant second. I'm a life long Cincy Reds fan. Grew up in Middle TN and my grandmother lived in Columbus, OH. When we went to visit her, Dad would always stop by old Crosby Field and take us to the game. I was consumed by it as a small kid. Pete Rose, Tommy Helms, Lee May, Alex Johnson, and the following year, all the talk was of the anticipated big time catcher who was coming home from his tour in Vietnam. His name was Johnny Bench....some of you have probably heard of him. Then the Big Red Machine years took off. Here I am still waiting for those glory years to return!
The Strike, and then The Steroids, killed that part of baseball, that you are referring to. It's really a shame. People really just don't understand how big MLB baseball was right up until 1994. It wasn't just a win/loss game, it had statistics to it as well, which left the building with the Steroid Era.

Velo and Launch Angles and advanced stats have just made it boring. Honestly I think baseball's best days are behind it.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Well they do have the second most world series championships and they are not the Yankees.
And only two since the end of the Vietnam war. So living in the past ins something Ole Miss fans and Cardinals fans have in common. Appropriate.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
And only two since the end of the Vietnam war. So living in the past ins something Ole Miss fans and Cardinals fans have in common. Appropriate.
Thank you for your service and I’m sorry the events in Nam fried your ability to count.

Nov 4, 2014
Radio. It was the older generation's version of Braves/WTBS and Cubs/WGN.

Cardinals were on the radio all the way down into South Mississippi in the 40's through the 60's (maybe even before). That coincided with some Cardinals better teams. They won 4 pennants in the 40's and 3 in the 60's. Stan the Man was a hero to those guys.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
One of my uncles grew up in Florida and was a Cardinals fan because he and his dad could listen to the games on KMOX at night. Really crazy how far their signal goes and how much that played into their fanbase.
I remember when I was a younger fellow, the older guys would often gather in an outside area at the home of one of the guys within the group and sit in a circle around an old battery-operated radio playing the Cardinals game, drinking beer, and bullshitting. I was still considered a Yankee because I was born North of Chicago. It mattered not I moved when I was 5 years old; it mattered more that I was a Cub fan. I was so happy when WGN showed up in the 80s. I followed the Braves on TBS with Dale Murphy and the gang. Too lousy TV had to go and ruin it all.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Back when I cared about MLB, I grew up a Mets fan because of all those games I went to in Jacktown when we won back to back TX League Championships and I was lucky enough to be at game 7 in '86. But even though I grew up not liking / "Hating" The Birds, it's pretty damn obvious why Red Bird Enthusiasm is strong in The Mid South. I learned a lot about it during my 12 year stint in Memphis from late 80's thru the 90's as almost all my new friends were Cardinal Fans and no one should be shocked why they put their Triple A team in The 901. Pretty silly question / thread starter IMO.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I never understood why there were not more Mets fans my age. Every year after our little league season was over, we all took a trip to Jackson to see the Jackson Mets play. I am pretty sure that I saw Darryl Strawberry play for them, could have been a rehab stint though. Anyone else remember those small bats they gave away? I also remember that they had a pitch radar set up and all of us would see who could throw the fastest.
I was a huge Mets fan as a kid, until Strawberry went to LA. Nothing to do with a Jackson connection - I just liked Strawberry and Gooden, probably because their names were cool.

Raising my son as a Cardinals fan. I never followed any particular team after the 90s, and I wanted us to have a team that was within driving distance. I just couldn't choose the Braves... hated them in the 90s because it seemed everyone I knew jumped on that bandwagon and that kind of stuff annoys me.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
The Braves moved to Atlanta in 1966 & the Rangers to Dallas in 1972, so there wasn't really a generation that grew up with MLB teams in the South until the mid to late 70's plus there were multiple radio stations across the south that carried the all the Cardinals games when there was very little baseball on television.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I was a Cardinals fan for a couple months in 2000 when Will Clark played for them. It was a confusing time.

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The Strike, and then The Steroids, killed that part of baseball, that you are referring to. It's really a shame. People really just don't understand how big MLB baseball was right up until 1994. It wasn't just a win/loss game, it had statistics to it as well, which left the building with the Steroid Era.

Velo and Launch Angles and advanced stats have just made it boring. Honestly I think baseball's best days are behind it.
The Last Strike was it for me. The only games I have watched since that happened were the Cubs' post-season games. I used to be one of those guys who knew almost every Player in the MLB.

I couldn't identify any player today. Your post captures my feelings almost perfectly.

Reactions: RocketDawg

stlcardfan.sixpack

Sep 13, 2016
KMOX...and they were one of the more exciting teams watch growing up in the early 80s. Btw, not a new member. Been here for years.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I grew up as a Cardinals fan - listened to Harry Caray and Joe Garigiola on AM radio (KMOX out of St. Louis at night). They were a "southern" team, along with the Washington Senators, and I didn't like the Senators.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I think there are three reasons.

1. It was for a long time the most "southern" team.

2. Back in the day there was a powerful radio station that blasted their games all over the south. Many of our parents became fans that way.

3. The Memphis Redbirds.
First two for sure plus for me anyway, it was the very first MLB game I ever attended.
VS the Pittsburgh Pirates in about 1978.
Cardinals got.beat 0-9 but I didn’t care.
I was at Busch Stadium and my favorite team was playing.
Jack Buck, Mike Shannon on the radio broadcast you could hear from NE Mississippi. - - - just some great memories.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I was a huge Mets fan as a kid, until Strawberry went to LA. Nothing to do with a Jackson connection - I just liked Strawberry and Gooden, probably because their names were cool.

Raising my son as a Cardinals fan. I never followed any particular team after the 90s, and I wanted us to have a team that was within driving distance. I just couldn't choose the Braves... hated them in the 90s because it seemed everyone I knew jumped on that bandwagon and that kind of stuff annoys me.
Clark, Strawberry and Brett had the sweetest swings I ever saw. Strawman's long swing wasn't good for avg but boy oh boy when he connected with that windmill swing of his Here's a montage and the last one is when he homered off the roof of the dome where the Expos played (maybe still do?)

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login