Thinking about those in Jackson…

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
This water situation is about to hit the fan.

And don’t be an *** about those that live in Jackson.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This water situation is about to hit the fan.

And don’t be an *** about those that live in Jackson.

I work in Jackson and it’s just sad at this point. Not that the state is some amazingly ran entity, but I think it’s time the state take some emergency action regarding water. The city can no longer be trusted to deliver basic necessities to its residents

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Someone provide the cliff notes on what's causing the issue.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I really feel for those folks. This is turning into a bona fide humanitarian disaster right in front of our eyes in the middle of our state.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I work in Jackson and it’s just sad at this point. Not that the state is some amazingly ran entity, but I think it’s time the state take some emergency action regarding water. The city can no longer be trusted to deliver basic necessities to its residents

just my 2 cents, but it's not the state taxpayer's responsibility to take care of Jackson's decades old problem of giving water away as a form of buying votes, and therefore, not having the income to maintain their systems. every other water system in the state is a money maker for municipalities, and more than maintains itself with the income generated by COLLECTED rates. What needs to happen is Jackson needs to fall into bankruptcy, and then a judge can throw out the idiots running it (into the ground), and maybe get something accomplished.

btw, what happened to the Siemens money they got? https://www.wlbt.com/2022/05/16/auditors-jacksons-siemens-settlement-gone-city-spent-money-based-revenues-it-knew-wouldnt-come/

https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2020/mar/04/siemens-settlement-explained/

This is what happens when you throw money at idiots. It evaporates and never is used for what it's intended.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Failure of municipal government to handle a core function of municipal government. Plain and simple.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Two Water Treatment Plants have major issues. Multiple Water Supplies have issues. But water is just one of the issues affecting the people of Jackson. The infrastructure needs to be totally redone and we are talking $ Billions with a Capital B!!! The questions are: who is going to pay for it?

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Gosh… I live in Atlanta but have been hearing about the Jackson water problems and will be praying for everyone in Jackson. Had no idea it had gotten that bad. I was reading up on it in Mississippi Today and it mentioned the lack of funds for the water issues is due to billing problems where residents never receive water bills despite using water. Is that true?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
just my 2 cents, but it's not the state taxpayer's responsibility to take care of Jackson's decades old problem of giving water away as a form of buying votes, and therefore, not having the income to maintain their systems. every other water system in the state is a money maker for municipalities, and more than maintains itself with the income generated by COLLECTED rates. What needs to happen is Jackson needs to fall into bankruptcy, and then a judge can throw out the idiots running it (into the ground), and maybe get something accomplished.

btw, what happened to the Siemens money they got? https://www.wlbt.com/2022/05/16/auditors-jacksons-siemens-settlement-gone-city-spent-money-based-revenues-it-knew-wouldnt-come/

https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2020/mar/04/siemens-settlement-explained/

This is what happens when you throw money at idiots. It evaporates and never is used for what it's intended.

I understand… the alternative is to have 150k people without water fit to even to a bath in. Jackson is by far the largest city in the state. Tons of residents and businesses that all pay state taxes. I don’t know how the state can stand by idle and try to act like it’s just a city of Jackson problem. Those people are still residents of MS too.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
The problem is they didn't do enough or any maintenance or gradual replacement for 30 years. The present physical state is because of this. The present monetary **** storm appears worse because they billed millions of dollars erroneously to Jackson customers, won a lawsuit against semens for faulty meters, and then never forgave the bills. So a large portion of the amount they say they are owed is BS. I know, I have a 6000 plus water bill.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
To answer your last question - 100%. They’ve had issues and I moved out in 2017. I just paid $80/month bc that’s what it normall was for trash and water. I didn’t get a bill for the last 14 months living in Jackson.
Gosh… I live in Atlanta but have been hearing about the Jackson water problems and will be praying for everyone in Jackson. Had no idea it had gotten that bad. I was reading up on it in Mississippi Today and it mentioned the lack of funds for the water issues is due to billing problems where residents never receive water bills despite using water. Is that true?

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
Two Water Treatment Plants have major issues. Multiple Water Supplies have issues. But water is just one of the issues affecting the people of Jackson. The infrastructure needs to be totally redone and we are talking $ Billions with a Capital B!!! The questions are: who is going to pay for it?
Don't forget the garbage debacle.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
I lived in Jackson for about 4 years and then moved to the Delta. I got one bill for about $1400 and that was it. When I left, they refunded my deposits of $150. Pretty sad. I called and called asking to be billed. Never happened.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
And the federal government will throw money at them and they’ll steal or blow it.

Don’t want any of my state tax dollars going there unless shad white is posting the accounting transactions on Twitter daily.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Then let the state take over the cities accounting and revenue and manage that.

This right here. Chokwe will never agree to it, though. Would cut off his spigot (pardon the pun). Dude is completely inept at running anything. Sad thing is...he'll be Bennie Thompson's replacement when Bennie decides to retire.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Then let the state take over the cities accounting and revenue and manage that.

I’m perfectly fine with the state taking over every function of the city. I’m not an apologist for the city’s leaders. They are terrible and have been ever since I’ve been around Jackson.

I have not looked this up… I guess I could. But I’m guessing the city of Jackson provides more sales tax revenue to the state than anywhere else. And likely more corporate tax revenue than any other. So I feel quite certain residents of the city have helped foot the bill for other projects around the state.

patdog

May 28, 2007
At some point pretty soon, there's going to have to be a state takeover of some sort. The city has proven over many years it's completely incapable of handling this and we're very close to a disaster of epic proportions. I have no idea of the legalities of this or how it would work. Maybe it could be coupled with a settling of the lawsuit over the state takeover of the airport. I don't know. I do know that if you're living in Jackson or own a business in Jackson, you're screwed without it.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
From what I understand, there is no legal authority under state law for a municipality to be placed under receivership. There is also no legal authority for a municipality to file a Chapter 9 reorganization. So for anything appropriate to happen (ala Detroit), the legislature must pass legislation to authorize the action. In my opinion, the legislature should enact legislation authorizing the governor to declare the city insolvent, seize all assets, disband the elected government, and appoint a receiver to oversee corrective actions until solvency is restored.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Aren’t all municipalities in Mississippi creatures of the state via charters?

From what I understand, there is no legal authority under state law for a municipality to be placed under receivership. There is also no legal authority for a municipality to file a Chapter 9 reorganization. So for anything appropriate to happen (ala Detroit), the legislature must pass legislation to authorize the action. In my opinion, the legislature should enact legislation authorizing the governor to declare the city insolvent, seize all assets, disband the elected government, and appoint a receiver to oversee corrective actions until solvency is restored.

Would revoking the current city’s charter and issuing a new one (temporary or permanent) be the only viable option?

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
A charter revocation causes the municipality to cease to exist but it doesn’t really solve the larger problems (public safety/quality of life/public health, etc) and it doesn’t address the greater issue which is the insolvency and who pays the debt that is outstanding. We need a state statute that creates a receivership process similar to the one employed in Michigan whereby the governor declared the city in receivership, shitcanned the elected leadership and appointed a receiver (a kickass public manager with serious turn-around chops). It worked well for Detroit.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I don't disagree with you. The money that ******** has accumulated has been wasted by complete morons, but it's past time for the taxpayers of Mississippi to solve this problem. It sucks, but you can't let a water crisis fester for too long. This is a very serious situation.

Jackson is an embarrassment for sure, but there are plenty of good people who live there and they don't deserve this. Plus, its the seat of our government. State entities have to run smoothly or the entire state is effected. Not to mention hospitals.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Imagine trying to recruit businesses and people to our capital city when utilities are questionable at best. This is such a basic function of government - foundational for pretty much everything else.

Really hope it gets better soon.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
A charter revocation causes the municipality to cease to exist but it doesn’t really solve the larger problems (public safety/quality of life/public health, etc) and it doesn’t address the greater issue which is the insolvency and who pays the debt that is outstanding. We need a state statute that creates a receivership process similar to the one employed in Michigan whereby the governor declared the city in receivership, shitcanned the elected leadership and appointed a receiver (a kickass public manager with serious turn-around chops). It worked well for Detroit.

I agree. But I hope “they” consider restructuring to metropolitan form of government along with the debt workout. The longer they wait, the worse it gets.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
If Mitt Romney moved to Jackson and ran for mayor on a campaign to restore the city’s basic infrastructure, Chokwe Lumamba would still beat him in a landslide. You know it. And I know it. And why would someone so incompetent beat someone who was so competent? Woke identity politics. Being woke has everything to do with this.

If you think Jackson's problems are due to being "woke" then you have no clue as to the issues nor the causes.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Everyone wants to pigeon hole Jackson’s problems neatly into their worldview. The truth is the problems are myriad.

1. Leadership has been atrocious at least since Dale Danks left. Not only are they incompetent, but they will openly refuse help if it doesn’t come from the right people.

2. The white folks left and took the money. This started because of racism (in its purest form) and continues due to number 1.

3. City leaders kicking the can down the road. We’re paying now for not doing basic maintenance for the last 40 years.

4. Bills that would be helpful to Jackson are routinely killed because they are “Jackson Bills.” Elected leaders from around the state know they better not help those people in Jackson or they won’t be elected much longer.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Your #1 point proves Jackson leaders are just as racist as you claim in your #2. Yet you don’t mention that for some reason. I’d love to see some data to back up your #2 point. I won’t hold my breath since you won’t find any for such a claim.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
If you think Jackson's problems are due to being "woke" then you have no clue as to the issues nor the causes.

Jackson’s problems arise from too many Democrats living in and running the city. That’s the simple truth. People with any sense have already left.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Your #1 point proves Jackson leaders are just as racist as you claim in your #2. Yet you don’t mention that for some reason. I’d love to see some data to back up your #2 point. I won’t hold my breath since you won’t find any for such a claim.

Yeah pretty sure you’re the type I was talking about in my first sentence.

What data do you need to see to know that white people, who in our state are more wealthy per capita, have left Jackson, and that many did it as a result of desegregated schools. And that this continued due to poor leadership?

Wilco would be ashamed.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Point 2 data is easier to check than you think.

Just check average income of Jackson residents over a period of years and account for how much income - in say 1985 - would be worth in 2022 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login