This “Week 1” schedule is gutter trash

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I’m glad college football is back, but the only Top 25 matchup is LSU / FSU on Sunday.

Beyond that the highlights of the weekend are TCU vs Colorado / Prime & South Car vs North Car.

Monday Night’s game is Clemson at Duke. Yay.

Reactions: dorndawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree. I think that's one big reason we see this consolidation and big money into bigger conferences. People want matchups. Then - in Week 1, they spread the good matchups out from Thursday to Monday. The 'college football Saturday' is what makes it great. TV execs don't understand this.

I do think one thing that needs to happen is to get rid of the FCS matchups. Those suck for everybody, and they are auto-wins for everybody. We need more FBS cross pollination, to find out with G5 teams truly are any good. I think Week 1 gets a lot better if we just do that.

Reactions: 57stratdawg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m glad college football is back, but the only Top 25 matchup is LSU / FSU on Sunday.

Beyond that the highlights of the weekend are TCU vs Colorado / Prime & South Car vs North Car.

Complete failure by college football for this to be the opening weekend Labor Day slate. It really is inexcusable

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
So #13 in the SEC at a Pac12 favorite. It shouldn't be a great game just because Florida is a "name" school.
Utah is going to be without their starting QB so I expect it to be close and Florida might win.

Clemson at Duke is actually an underrated game on Monday. Duke had a really nice year last season. That has upset potential.

All that said, no, it’s not a very good Week 1 slate. But there is enough there to be semi-interesting.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am excited about tonight's game. I am pulling for Utah. I like their coach. I have a feeling Florida pulls it off. I am also excited for the LSU game. I hope a lot of injuries on the LSU side of the field.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
My guess is most schools don’t necessarily want to play a big game in Week 1 and would rather start off with somebody they should beat.

We at least get an interesting Week 2:

Texas at Bama
Texas A&M at Miami
Ole Miss at Tulane
Utah at Baylor
Oregon at Texas Tech
Wisconsin at Washington State
Auburn at Cal
Notre Dame at NC State

Among others.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Agree. I think that's one big reason we see this consolidation and big money into bigger conferences. People want matchups. Then - in Week 1, they spread the good matchups out from Thursday to Monday. The 'college football Saturday' is what makes it great. TV execs don't understand this.

I do think one thing that needs to happen is to get rid of the FCS matchups. Those suck for everybody, and they are auto-wins for everybody. We need more FBS cross pollination, to find out with G5 teams truly are any good. I think Week 1 gets a lot better if we just do that.
TV execs are a lot richer than you and they don't care what you think or what your emotional attachment to Saturday afternoons is.

The reality is that Utah-Florida tonight, LSU-FSU on Sunday, and Clemson-Duke on Monday will all have significantly higher ratings than if they were all played on Saturday.

Reactions: The Fatboy

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I get what you’re saying re: FCS, but those road game paydays are keeping some of those programs afloat. You cut those off entirely and you cut a major revenue stream. One other issue with cutting out FCS is that means you cut out HBCU’s and the next question is “why won’t power teams schedule HBCU’s?”

For any other fault he had, Deion brought a lot of attention to HBCU’s and their financial/institutional realities. Notre Dame is playing TSU this week (ND’s first ever FCS opponent) in large part because of that attention. Yeah, it’s one bad football game, but it means Tennessee State gets to play on a national broadcast along with a $1 million payday. I wouldn’t want to take that away from TSU so Notre Dame can play Marshall, UNLV, Toledo, or New Mexico.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022

The important question to me is how do we feel about these games? In the pick em for this week there is no choice but to pretty much take all paint correct? The only real one I have been back and forth on is USC/ UNC. I

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
***** ***** ***** ***** *****. We have football. We have State football. If you have a problem you can go to some other board and talk economics, or beer cancellation, or EVs. Or MLB or however you spent your time over the summer. I do think with the 12 game playoffs you’ll more likely see better matchups because teams won’t fear one loss as bad. Playing your first game against a quality opponent is dicey.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
My guess is most schools don’t necessarily want to play a big game in Week 1 and would rather start off with somebody they should beat.

We at least get an interesting Week 2:

Texas at Bama
Texas A&M at Miami
Ole Miss at Tulane
Utah at Baylor
Oregon at Texas Tech
Wisconsin at Washington State
Auburn at Cal
Notre Dame at NC State

Among others.
That’s literally the premise to the convicts vs guards game in The Longest Yard.

• Haha
Reactions: mcdawg22

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
We have 12 games now in the regular season. There was a time they only played 8 then later 10 with only a few post season games. Now? 12 plus anyone worth a crap gets a bowl with the playoff it can be as many as 15.

I have no problem with most teams having an easy game one or even 3 or 4. They count. You better not suck and let these FCS teams play you close or you could be in a long year.

This week is about getting introduced to this years' version of each team. It's opening weekend, that alone should get people started.

Just enjoy getting to know your team a little bit this week. Anything less than an easy win and you can start to worry.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
***** ***** ***** ***** *****. We have football. We have State football. If you have a problem you can go to some other board and talk economics, or beer cancellation, or EVs. Or MLB or however you spent your time over the summer. I do think with the 12 game playoffs you’ll more likely see better matchups because teams won’t fear one loss as bad. Playing your first game against a quality opponent is dicey.
Hopefully the days of an AD apologizing to the fanbase about scheduling a “too hard” opener are going to be behind us.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022

Agree. That being said, how do we feel about those games? Is Utah the pick for tonight? Clemson over Duke? And I have honestly been back and forth with both LSU/NOLES and UNC/USC. I guess give me the fighting Kelly's and then the fighting Beamers. I mean that swag does not take a day off.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I miss the big week 1 matchups. Some sneaky good matchups though like Houston/UTSA and Coastal/UCLA that should at least be entertaining games

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Agree. That being said, how do we feel about those games? Is Utah the pick for tonight? Clemson over Duke? And I have honestly been back and forth with both LSU/NOLES and UNC/USC. I guess give me the fighting Kelly's and then the fighting Beamers. I mean that swag does not take a day off.
I like Utah -4.5 even without Rising. I have no faith in Mertz. I think Duke keeps it close but loses to Clemson. I like both the ACC teams to win in the other matchups you mentioned.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
We have 12 games now in the regular season. There was a time they only played 8 then later 10 with only a few post season games. Now? 12 plus anyone worth a crap gets a bowl with the playoff it can be as many as 15.

I have no problem with most teams having an easy game one or even 3 or 4. They count. You better not suck and let these FCS teams play you close or you could be in a long year.

This week is about getting introduced to this years' version of each team. It's opening weekend, that alone should get people started.

Just enjoy getting to know your team a little bit this week. Anything less than an easy win and you can start to worry.
leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

Reactions: Dawgg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That’s not a crazy prediction at all this year.

So, that’d put them in that 3-9 / 4-8 territory? I’m gonna call BS.

Vandy is obviously worse. Mizzou, A&M, Auburn, Kentucky, South Carolina, and very possibly OM / MSU / Ark could all potentially finish below Florida also. Besides Bama, UGA, LSU, and maybe UT….its a pretty wide open year.

No way would I ever bet on UF to be that bad. Even in Muschamp’s 4-8 year and the year McElwain got fired midseason, they were only 9th or 10th in the SEC at year’s end. Mullen did finish 13th after a fairly strong start in 2021, but that was a complete lost-lockerroom tailspin after a decent start that I really don’t see in the cards for Napier in year 2.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I get what you’re saying re: FCS, but those road game paydays are keeping some of those programs afloat. You cut those off entirely and you cut a major revenue stream. One other issue with cutting out FCS is that means you cut out HBCU’s and the next question is “why won’t power teams schedule HBCU’s?”

For any other fault he had, Deion brought a lot of attention to HBCU’s and their financial/institutional realities. Notre Dame is playing TSU this week (ND’s first ever FCS opponent) in large part because of that attention. Yeah, it’s one bad football game, but it means Tennessee State gets to play on a national broadcast along with a $1 million payday. I wouldn’t want to take that away from TSU so Notre Dame can play Marshall, UNLV, Toledo, or New Mexico.
That excuse has just never done much for me. I personally would rather see Notre Dame play those 4 teams you listed. They at least have a whole number percentage chance of winning. TSU has 0.0001%.

Reactions: 11thEagleFan

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
TV execs are a lot richer than you and they don't care what you think or what your emotional attachment to Saturday afternoons is.

The reality is that Utah-Florida tonight, LSU-FSU on Sunday, and Clemson-Duke on Monday will all have significantly higher ratings than if they were all played on Saturday.
Collectively, the whole product would be better playing at one time, throughout the day, like the NCAA tournament. That's why they do this most weeks. Playing individually like that is a short-term money grab by the school, conference and network involved in those games. That's why the bowls play one at a time, they don't give a damn about the whole, they care about their own game.

I don't expect a guy such as yourself to understand long-term and idealistic thinking across a whole sport like that. Your generation's leadership (and greed) is what got us into this mess to begin with, thinking about only yourself.

I ready for millenials to get into power, they'll fix most of your mess.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Nah, collectively, the whole product would be better at one time. That's why they do this most weeks. Playing individually like that is a short-term money grab by the school, conference and network. That's why the bowls play one at a time, they don't give a damn about the whole, they care about their own game.

I don't expect a guy such as yourself to understand long-term and idealistic thinking. Your generation's leadership (and greed) is what got us into this mess to begin with.
You won't even get your *** off the couch to show up and support your team this saturday, so you forfeit any real opinion on this subject anyway. But if you can't see the benefit to spreading out college games across a holiday weekend for TV networks, you can't be helped.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You won't even get your *** off the couch to show up and support your team this saturday, so you forfeit any real opinion on this subject anyway. But if you can't see the benefit to spreading out college games across a holiday weekend for TV networks, you can't be helped.
Why you so mad this week? It's the opening week of college football. Did your travel ball team lose last weekend or something?

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
That excuse has just never done much for me. I personally would rather see Notre Dame play those 4 teams you listed. They at least have a whole number percentage chance of winning. TSU has 0.0001%.
I mean, Marshall did actually beat Notre Dame last year. That happened.

Aug 22, 2012
So, that’d put them in that 3-9 / 4-8 territory? I’m gonna call BS.

Vandy is obviously worse. Mizzou, A&M, Auburn, Kentucky, South Carolina, and very possibly OM / MSU / Ark could all potentially finish below Florida also. Besides Bama, UGA, LSU, and maybe UT….its a pretty wide open year.

No way would I ever bet on UF to be that bad. Even in Muschamp’s 4-8 year and the year McElwain got fired midseason, they were only 9th or 10th in the SEC at year’s end. Mullen did finish 13th after a fairly strong start in 2021, but that was a complete lost-lockerroom tailspin after a decent start that I really don’t see in the cards for Napier in year 2.
Probably closer to 5-7 because there's more parity in the East, but yeah, they very well could be the second worst team in the SEC this year and there's plenty of polls out there who place them as such.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Why you so mad this week? It's the opening week of college football. Did your travel ball team lose last weekend or something?
I'm not mad. I'm not the one bitching about all the games not being on Saturday afternoon for your convenience.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Probably closer to 5-7 because there's more parity in the East, but yeah, they very well could be the second worst team in the SEC this year and there's plenty of polls out there who place them as such.

The polls don’t matter at all, but if they did, and Florida does suck, it sure wouldn’t be great for old MSU, either. We have 50 fewer votes than they do in the Coaches poll and the same number in the AP.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Seriously? You're telling me there is a noticeable difference in the chance that you would watch Saturday's 2:30 pm Notre Dame game if they were playing New Mexico over Tennessee State? I kind of feel like, unless you're a New Mexico fan, the difference in interest is going to be pretty low. If you're a Notre Dame fan, you're probably watching either way and if you're a casual fan, you're probably watching Ohio State/Indiana.

Of course, most of us on this board will be tuned in to our own FCS opponent because that's who our team is playing and it's not like anybody is going to watch that game and think "wow, you know... Louisiana-Monroe or FIU would have been a much more compelling matchup."

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I would rather have these games early than late. Its like college football's "preseason/jamboree".

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022

Nothing surprising. Has always been this way and likely will for a long time.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Collectively, the whole product would be better playing at one time, throughout the day, like the NCAA tournament. That's why they do this most weeks. Playing individually like that is a short-term money grab by the school, conference and network involved in those games. That's why the bowls play one at a time, they don't give a damn about the whole, they care about their own game.
Not for nothing, but the first round of the NCAA Tournament takes place over 4 days.
The second round takes place over 2 days.
The Sweet 16 takes place over 2 days.
The Elite 8 takes place over 2 days.
You don't get to all games being in one singular day until the Final 4.

Also, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 43 and college football games being played on days other than Saturday have occurred for most of my life (and almost all of my sports watching life). Here's an article from 2001 (22 years ago) talking about Southern Miss and Louisville playing on a Tuesday night. They mentioned that ESPN has had Thursday night games since 1991 (32 years ago) and started on Friday nights in 2001 because the NCAA lifted restrictions on Friday games.

Why wouldn't you want more games to be more accessible?

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login