This current roster

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Is not depleted as much as we like to complain about it. I was surprised at some of the numbers when I looked up and down the roster. We have 11 DL. 3 Jr 4 So and the rest RSFr. 5 corners. 6 safeties. And yes I did not count the ones in the portal. I say bye to them. Keep walking. Adding a starter quality player here and there and some decent coaching they should be able to compete. Plenty of high 3 and 4 stars

Reactions: AFDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Is not depleted as much as we like to complain about it. I was surprised at some of the numbers when I looked up and down the roster. We have 11 DL. 3 Jr 4 So and the rest RSFr. 5 corners. 6 safeties. And yes I did not count the ones in the portal. I say bye to them. Keep walking. Adding a starter quality player here and there and some decent coaching they should be able to compete. Plenty of high 3 and 4 stars
What is coming back on the OL? If there is an easy way to figure out who has eligibility left on the AD's website, I can't figure it out.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
What is coming back on the OL? If there is an easy way to figure out who has eligibility left on the AD's website, I can't figure it out.
I posted a list yesterday of the OL best guesstimate starters. Also if it doesn't say Sr or Gr by their name they have eligibility. It's not that complicated except that these days some of the Sr might be returning.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You're counting quantity, not quality. How many of those players can play? Every team is going to have pretty close to 85 scholarship players.

Reactions: DogStuckAtUM

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I am not judging our O Lineman base on last season. The O line coach really sucked. I am waiting to see what the new coach does.
All the ones we saw last season are gone anyway, so nothing to judge the current guys on

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bro, I was about to post this yesterday. I think the roster demise has been greatly overexaggerated. It will be down some from 2022 and 2023, but not to the point to where Lebby gets a free year or anything.

Main place of concern is OL. As of now, with Losoya gone, we have 10 guys on the roster:

Nick Jones - 6th year Sr., last COVID guy (I think), returning starter
Percy Lewis - RSr
Grant Jackson - RSr
Albert Reese - RJr
Canon Boone - RJr
Leon Bell - 4th year Sr from JUCO
Jackson LaHue - RSo
Wesley Davis - 3rd year walk-on
Zay Alexander - RFr
Amari Smith - RFr

We have 2 incoming freshmen, so 12 total. So we need to beef this number up to a minimum of 15 guys. Probably need to be HS guys, maybe 1-2 portal guys. We have age, just not as much experience. These guys would have taken their lumps this year if not for the 4 6th-year guys we had.

This is why Losoya leaving is so puzzling. He's an automatic starter, and you know he didn't get NIL from Vandy.

Reactions: knock him out john

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
All the ones we saw last season are gone anyway, so nothing to judge the current guys on
It is easy to assume since these guys were the backups they are not as good. So, you can kind of judge them based on that fact. The O LIne really sucked last season. Like I said let's see what the ne O Line coach can do.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We'll see... but the guys we lost accounted for something like 85% of our starts last year on defense. The ones returning only got a few spot starts due to injuries. Still got a few that could come back and that would probably help --- Nicholson, Purvis and Demonte Russell. But it's going to mostly be a completely different group next year.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You would think that out of Eric Taylor, Demonte Russell, Deonte Anderson, Trevion Williams, Kalvin Dinkins, Donterry Russell and Ty Cooper - plus the redshirt freshmen, and incoming JUCO Sheppard - you could find a decent SEC DL.

Bigger problem to me is the incoming freshmen. All we have is Hibbler right now and let's face it, even though Rosey loves to pump him up, he's average, not an elite guy. Need 2-3 more.

ETA: I haven't really looked at high school crootin too much, but holy hell Ole Miss is kicking our *** on the DL front, 4 top 5 prospects in the state all committed to them. And all the WRs leaning to us. WTF is going on?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Definitely need more in this class. Gotta get more than one. I'm sure they will get Carter back but still that's 2. Need 3 or 4. They really whiffed on this class. OM scooped all of them up. Wish they could flip Beavers

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Only reason I'm posting this stuff is we have people losing their minds saying we need to sign 5 OL and we have no players and all that. It's not true. If you got a 4 star RS sophomore and he isn't ready to play you need to fire some coaches. Or even high 3 star. We have guys and they were not scrubs when we signed them

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We got guys on ED squalling about signing OL out of the portal from Memphis as if they are better than Albert Reese or Percy Lewis. Wanting to sign some tall lineman apparently never looked at our roster filled with 6'7 and 6'8 guys. Google is your friend.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Only reason I'm posting this stuff is we have people losing their minds saying we need to sign 5 OL and we have no players and all that. It's not true. If you got a 4 star RS sophomore and he isn't ready to play you need to fire some coaches. Or even high 3 star. We have guys and they were not scrubs when we signed them
We DO need to sign 5 good OL and process a few. There's no way we have 10 guys that can play in this league (even as backups). And, BTW, 4* players turn out to be busts all the time no matter how good the coaching is. Sometimes, even 5* players do. And most 3* players never contribute in college.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
I don't think we need 5 but a couple would be nice. Did the guy from North Texas commit? I haven't seen anything official on it.

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
I forgot about Malik Ellis. I expect for him to be in the mix at one of the tackle spots. I expect him to be a pretty good player by the time he leaves Mississippi State also… Nick Jones is solid. Percy was ok. Bell looked like he could develop in to a player in the limited snaps I saw of him. Reese has some experience. (He seems like he is better suited to be a guard to me. Not great feet and kind of stiff, but service able.) If the transfer from the Texas school can be our center maybe (hopefully) we won’t be as bad off as some predict on the OL.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Pretty sure Jones is gone. Ellis is gonna take a little developing especially since they played him at tight end. He has gotta bulk up big time. Bell could take that right tackle spot and Reese move inside. Looks like they are gonna pick up a couple more linemen tho so we will see how it shakes out.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Pretty sure Jones is gone. Ellis is gonna take a little developing especially since they played him at tight end. He has gotta bulk up big time. Bell could take that right tackle spot and Reese move inside. Looks like they are gonna pick up a couple more linemen tho so we will see how it shakes out.
All of that just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen at OL. I agree, we got one starter from the portal but we need two more starter transfers.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Where is Jones going?

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
I forgot about Malik Ellis. I expect for him to be in the mix at one of the tackle spots. I expect him to be a pretty good player by the time he leaves Mississippi State also… Nick Jones is solid. Percy was ok. Bell looked like he could develop in to a player in the limited snaps I saw of him. Reese has some experience. (He seems like he is better suited to be a guard to me. Not great feet and kind of stiff, but service able.) If the transfer from the Texas school can be our center maybe (hopefully) we won’t be as bad off as some predict on the OL.
A lot of hoping in this paragraph. Hoping isn't what an SEC offensive line needs..

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I'm not sure about numbers, but we need an upgrade over whatever you called that mess this season.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
He should get a 6th year, unless there was something weird going on because he was in JUCO in 2020. Does the NCAA (or NJCAA or whatever) not grant them the COVID extra year?
2020 just doesn't count whether he played or not. He played 2019, 2021, 2022, and 2023 so his 4 years are gone.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
putting together a servicable OL for SEC play with 5 guys who neither started nor played together is a helluva challenge.

patdog

May 28, 2007
putting together a servicable OL for SEC play with 5 guys who neither started nor played together is a helluva challenge.
We still need at least 2 good portal transfers there. Not to mention a lot of help at WR, LB & DB.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We DO need to sign 5 good OL and process a few. There's no way we have 10 guys that can play in this league (even as backups). And, BTW, 4* players turn out to be busts all the time no matter how good the coaching is. Sometimes, even 5* players do. And most 3* players never contribute in college.
That is a ridiculous comment. We may sign a couple more. Probly Bouldin. Maybe Pounders but we are not signing 5. The ones I listed will almost assuredly be starters. We have put numerous 3 stars OL in the NFL over the years. They did play some last year even tho they were behind a bunch of 6 year guys that had been starting for about 3 years. The line sucked because our coaches sucked. The scheme was a joke. You never have 2 line coaches. You don't rotate offensive linemen in and out. That's bad coaching

Reactions: wdawg44

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We have 2 1/2 weeks before the window closes. Maybe they will find some depth pieces. Hopefully some starter quality DBs at least. Maybe 1 WR but I'm betting they are gonna play these true freshmen some. They have some juco LB lined up

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The problem we had last year is that our heavy roster of seniors wasn’t that talented in defense

we need some of those younger defensive players to step up

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We have 2 1/2 weeks before the window closes. Maybe they will find some depth pieces. Hopefully some starter quality DBs at least. Maybe 1 WR but I'm betting they are gonna play these true freshmen some. They have some juco LB lined up
The last day to register for classes for Spring Semester at MSU is January 23rd.

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022
How many diamonds in that rough?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login