This doesn't make sense to me about Chick-Fil-A

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Makes sense in the context of how incredibly busy they are. Also highlights why speed through the drive through is far from the only or most important box to check for a successful fast food business.

To the point at hand, the drive thru at CFA is well run process. I would wager that CFA gets way more people through per hour than anybody else even if the wait per person is not the best.
The thing about the CFA drive thru is they keep you constantly moving forward. Thus is seems like a shorter wait when you see them serve 20 cars in front of you in 15 minutes than the 10 minutes to serve 3 cars at another joint.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I got on the soap box about this to my wife (while in Chick Fil A line, mind you) so I might as well do it here. In 2022, doing conventional drive through where you actually look at the big *** board and hem and haw about what you want before finally ordering ought to be illegal. Practically every fast food place has a mobile order app platform now. Place your order before you pull in the damn parking lot (or from the parking lot), get in line or park in a spot or walk in restaurant and give your name/number/whatever, and be gone.

Chick Fil A would be a great restaurant to pioneer a 100% mobile order model, because lord knows they’ve got the customer loyalty on lockdown and everybody will comply with whatever drastic shift they decide to do without fail. Nuke the giant menu and crappy intercom in the drive through. You place your order on the app and it generates a QR code or other confirmation. You have one team member outside to scan or otherwise confirm your order placement. You HAVE to have a confirmed order already before getting in the drive through line. And keep the mobile pickup parking set-up the same as current.

This solves so many problems as far as orders being wrong, condiments being missing, and also efficiency issues with the drive thru. Somebody just needs to have the balls to make it happen.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
They've obviously never been to the Macon McDonalds. We stopped by there on the way up for the aTm game and spent 30 minutes in the drive through line and it wasnt but about five cars deep

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
They've obviously never been to the Macon McDonalds. We stopped by there on the way up for the aTm game and spent 30 minutes in the drive through line and it wasnt but about five cars deep
Gee, I wonder what the problem was, being Macon and all.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Unless something has changed, that Madison Chick-fil-A serves more customers than any other on the planet.

So they're doing something right.
I'm not arguing that, but the topic was slowness, which I would argue is perceived on the basis of the customer. And as the customer, in 9 times out of 10, I want nothing to do with the Madison Chick-fil-A drive thru.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm not arguing that, but the topic was slowness, which I would argue is perceived on the basis of the customer. And as the customer, in 9 times out of 10, I want nothing to do with the Madison Chick-fil-A drive thru.
I agree with you. My thought is always no fast food is worth that line. My inner curmudgeon won't allow me to be that much of a lamb.

Just wanted to point out that they serve a ton of people, which whoever did this ranking obviously didn't measure. Probably because they like their God and say so.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Everybody's entitled to their own opinion but also your opinion is just objectively wrong.
Angry Kiss My Ass GIF by Holly Logan

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That was a glaring omission on my part. I forget about popeyes because I am rarely in the mood for their chicken so much that I'm willing to wait for 30 minutes and know that after 30 minutes I'm still going to have to accept that what I receive has a less than even chance of actually being what I ordered.
I always double check what the Popeyes server gives me before I leave.
I figure if I have to wait— I’d like things to be reasonably accurate.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

Perhaps because it's the busiest. All the ones here have two lines that encircle the building, but even then Chick-Fil-A's require a lot of real estate. They are fairly slow because of the volume, but also the friendliest of any. They just seem to hire kids that are a bit "above' some of the others. Elitist, perhaps, but that's the way it is. They also seem to be more fully staffed than some of the others. I'd really vote for Hardee's having the slowest service by far in this area.

sfnsfn

Apr 3, 2020
So a couple of things specific to my closest location in southaven. Whataburger just opened up next to it and has the same lines moving at double the speed. Same system of 2 lanes. For the last several months at chic fil a, every single time i go, i am asked to pull over into a parking space and they will bring my order out. Only thing i ever get is nuggets or a sandwich. Nothing extra or rarely ordered. And the waiting parking lot is full with 10 other people like me. The issue i see is that they have 5 kids with iPads taking orders 30 cars back from the window.

I went to the Whataburger you mentioned one night last week. Ordered on the app and went inside to pick up the food (2 number 1 combos) at the time the app told me it would be ready (10 minutes). Waited another 25 minutes before they gave me my food. I had to go and ask for updates on my order twice. No other customers in the dining room. Drive thru was moderately busy.

I went to that Chikfila (on Getwell) for lunch on Monday of this week. Tons of cars in the drive thru, lots of customers in the dining room. Overall very busy. I sat down and placed my order on their app. They brought my food (food for 3 people) to my table 8 minutes later.

I've never had to wait a long time for food at Chikfila unless I was behind 50 cars in the drive thru. In those cases, you know what you're getting into when you get in line.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

The worst is easily Zaxby's. They redid the whole menu, requiring every order to be assembled fresh because there's so many options now.....but they still have old style drive thrus that don't take your order till you're 2 cars away from the window. So every order takes 15 minutes to get ready, but you wait 30 minutes til you can even give your order. So dumb. Some ceo deserves a buttwhipping for that idiocy.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I went to the Whataburger you mentioned one night last week. Ordered on the app and went inside to pick up the food (2 number 1 combos) at the time the app told me it would be ready (10 minutes). Waited another 25 minutes before they gave me my food. I had to go and ask for updates on my order twice. No other customers in the dining room. Drive thru was moderately busy.

I went to that Chikfila (on Getwell) for lunch on Monday of this week. Tons of cars in the drive thru, lots of customers in the dining room. Overall very busy. I sat down and placed my order on their app. They brought my food (food for 3 people) to my table 8 minutes later.

I've never had to wait a long time for food at Chikfila unless I was behind 50 cars in the drive thru. In those cases, you know what you're getting into when you get in line.
I’m glad you had a good experience. Hopefully I’ll have one again soon.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
As most everyone else has already stated - it’s volume. I’m not a huge fan, but the wife and kids love it so we will hit up the one in D’Iberville occasionally. Always a double line litterally wrapped around the building and out into the adjacent parking lot - never takes more than 15-mins.

The Whataburger down the road (which I prefer) will have 2-3 cars in line and it takes 30-mins. And same with the Wendy’s down the street too.
That D’Iberville Whataburger got me once but not again. It’s fine food but took us 30 minutes as well.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Only true Mississippians have eaten at the Macon McDonald’s

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think some of the service took a notch down after Covid. Same for the quality. I've gotten better quality chicken at some of the Popeyes. I feel like the lines are slower than than they used to be at least in my area.
Also I agree ordering online on the app is far better. I do this at any place who has app ordering. Especially with several orders.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Y'all are forgetting about curbside pickup besides the double line. I always order on my phone and do curbside.

Where the Burger King in Olive Branch on Goodman refused to serve me because after she told me to wait a second and after 5 minutes I said "Hello?" And she repeated that she told me to wait a second and I told her I have waited 300 seconds, she proceeded to tell me to go somewhere else.

AND there were only 2 cars in line. One at the window and me at the speaker.

Reactions: sfnsfn

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
I’m at the Starkville CFA and brother they’re out of biscuits. Nobody was here when I drove by earlier or when I pulled up.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I won't go because the line is always too long. Yes, 3 cars at Popeyes is about the same but I skip them too if it's more than a couple cars. Sit down restaurants get you served just about as fast as a backed up line. You even get to eat a table with service. I guess I am not in as much of a hurry anymore in my old age.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I got on the soap box about this to my wife (while in Chick Fil A line, mind you) so I might as well do it here. In 2022, doing conventional drive through where you actually look at the big *** board and hem and haw about what you want before finally ordering ought to be illegal. Practically every fast food place has a mobile order app platform now. Place your order before you pull in the damn parking lot (or from the parking lot), get in line or park in a spot or walk in restaurant and give your name/number/whatever, and be gone.

Chick Fil A would be a great restaurant to pioneer a 100% mobile order model, because lord knows they’ve got the customer loyalty on lockdown and everybody will comply with whatever drastic shift they decide to do without fail. Nuke the giant menu and crappy intercom in the drive through. You place your order on the app and it generates a QR code or other confirmation. You have one team member outside to scan or otherwise confirm your order placement. You HAVE to have a confirmed order already before getting in the drive through line. And keep the mobile pickup parking set-up the same as current.

This solves so many problems as far as orders being wrong, condiments being missing, and also efficiency issues with the drive thru. Somebody just needs to have the balls to make it happen.
Who wants a crap ton of fast food apps on their phone? I personally refuse to do it. Yes, I am old and yes, get off my lawn.

However, most of my family has the CFLA app and that thing is evil. Before my kids went away to college/gradutated and got jobs, I had to put CFLA as it's own budget item. They would call my wife and ask if she wanted to eat lunch with them..... translation - order and pay for CFLA on your app and we'll pick it up and bring it to you.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Perhaps because it's the busiest. All the ones here have two lines that encircle the building, but even then Chick-Fil-A's require a lot of real estate. They are fairly slow because of the volume, but also the friendliest of any. They just seem to hire kids that are a bit "above' some of the others. Elitist, perhaps, but that's the way it is. They also seem to be more fully staffed than some of the others. I'd really vote for Hardee's having the slowest service by far in this area.
Volume does not make one slow. Orders served per minute is the metric. Chick Fil A is faster than any and all other fast food restaurants I have ever been to in a drive thru situation. McDonalds serves 5 cars, Chick Fil A at the same time serves 10. Just because CFA has 30 cars in line means nothing.

BluffParkDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Popeyes is Louisiana Slow

The key to CFA is using the app to order and selecting pickup inside. I order before I get there and by the time I park and walk in it’s sitting there ready. I’m at CFA less than 5 minutes and if you use the app you get points for free food.

This is the way. Also, make sure you mark that you are there before you actually get there. I have it timed so I can order at my house, mark that I am already at CFA, and they are putting it on the carryout shelf as I am walking in the door.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I also think it's a function of the level of incompetence of our workforce ....Im so glad I don't have to hire or manage employees any longer

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
It's latency versus throughout. Chick-fil-A will have five people ahead of you and you still get through in five minutes. McDonald's you could be the only one and it still takes four minutes.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login