This is NIL

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
What's wrong with Americans making money? I had a job in high school although it didn't pay nearly as much. Plus, who are we to tell the wealthy how to spend their hard-earned wealth? We decided to spend more than anyone else on a baseball stadium. Did anyone at the time say something like "no, that's night right. It's way too much money for an amateur sport played by amateur athletes?" Did that turn off baseball fans more than losing?

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
It's not "den letzten Wochen?" Can't remember all those rules and genders.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
What's wrong with Americans making money? I had a job in high school although it didn't pay nearly as much. Plus, who are we to tell the wealthy how to spend their hard-earned wealth? We decided to spend more than anyone else on a baseball stadium. Did anyone at the time say something like "no, that's night right. It's way too much money for an amateur sport played by amateur athletes?" Did that turn off baseball fans more than losing?
UFL players make money too but who wants to watch that crap?

The way this is headed is going to be another version of the UFL but with less restrictions.

Reactions: dorndawg and patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
For all of you that live and die for recruiting news, read these from the article:

Did you partake in any trolling of fan bases with comments on social media for your personal enjoyment?

• A little bit. I’d put out photos of myself at a school I wasn’t visiting just to see what people might say. There were times I’d put out like statements — like you’d do if you were decommitting — to scare people. You just need to have fun sometimes.

• I loved messing with fan bases. I did that to the school I almost signed with.

• I trolled people indirectly. Usually it was our rival. As far as adding followers, I added teams to my list at times and it worked.

• Yeah. I was trolling (a rival school), like posting stuff saying I was gonna commit there. I was just doing it for fun.

• Me and one of my high school teammates would send out certain hashtags and emojis to get fan bases from other teams on social media riled up. It was more about being bored and wanting to do something to see how people might react.

• A little bit. I did it to the fans of the school I was previously committed to just because I was tired of them. I’d ask them: “How was that flip for you?”

• I dropped a top 10 when I was really only looking at four or five schools. I did it for the followers. I got like 231,000 views for it and picked up followers.

• Every day. To get my followers up? Every day. Gosh. All the emojis, all the question marks, “Is this home?” I was getting all my committed friends to send me messages just so I could reply and be like, “Should I come here?” Follow me up. Follow me up. Follow me up.

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
State needs to improve its image so that more children of millionaires and billionaires want to come here. Figure out a way to get mega donors who like sports. It's the new reality. Self-pity isn't gonna win a lot of games.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Nothing. But call it what it is- pay for the play of school employees.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
UFL players make money too but who wants to watch that crap?

The way this is headed is going to be another version of the UFL but with less restrictions.
I said nothing about watching, just reality. And that's true, I suspect. We don't draw a lot of viewers nationally and we need to figure out a way to change that. Right now, we're on ESPN and SEC Network because we're in the SEC. Leach gave us a little more attention because he was Leach.

Reactions: HRMSU

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Nothing at all if that's what you want.

And nothing wrong either as a fan w/ saying, "its my money and I'm not giving it to a punk that can't spell the name of my school who will be gone in a year or two and never be heard from around here again either."
Of course there isn't. I'm not giving, or not much, but that doesn't matter. I've never given Taylor Swift a dime but she's likely unconcerned about it. I'm a big free market, low taxes kind of guy. Now that this system has been applied to areas where it wasn't allowed just a couple of years ago, State isn't faring well. Fortunately, we're still in the SEC so we get a lot of revenue from schools that generate a lot of revenue. I suspect most fans of other SEC schools don't care whether we stay in the SEC. But since we're here, we need to use the money we make wisely. State brags about the number of first generation students. We need to do something to attract more wealthy donors, especially those willing to spend their excess wealth on State athletics.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
State needs to improve its image so that more children of millionaires and billionaires want to come here. Figure out a way to get mega donors who like sports. It's the new reality. Self-pity isn't gonna win a lot of games.
It's true. And we've passed on more than a handful of kids of famous people.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Nothing at all if that's what you want.

And nothing wrong either as a fan w/ saying, "its my money and I'm not giving it to a punk that can't spell the name of my school who will be gone in a year or two and never be heard from around here again either."
Yeah, and I’ll say again that I’m not at all against the players getting a piece of the pie, but the current “system” is just so *** backwards right now

Like, I occasionally watch a little WWE too for entertainment. Instead of guys like Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar being paid as independent contractors by the promotions, imagine if HHH was sending me mail every week that said… Hey, the WWE appreciates you so much as a lifelong fan. However, if you want to continue enjoying Seth Rollins or Lesnar on our shows, we could really use your help with a $100/mo donation so that they don’t jump to another brand. Please help!

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Oklahoma and Texas just jumped to another brand, The SEC, for the prestige and money. It happens. Their fans are going to have to pay for the SEC Network along with ESPN.

Reactions: Dawgg

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
When you move to a pay for play model with no restrictions then small market teams will have trouble competing not winning it all.....competing.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
John Grisham's son is the only one I'm aware of. Incredibly stupid to not allow him a walk-on spot and somebody should have stepped in and been the adult in the room there.

Did we pass on Raffy's son? Or did he go somewhere else because of the fallout with POlk? Or just go somewhere else because he wanted to go somewhere else?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
When you move to a pay for play model with no restrictions then small market teams will have trouble competing not winning it all.....competing.
It's a new challenge for small market schools. Small market teams can't change the system. Two small market teams found themselves alone in the PAC 12. Find a way to compete in the new system. Small market teams, and their fans like me aren't changing it. We used to be able to throw some change at talented poor kids, their moms and their churches to get them on campus. Those days are over. Don't become the horse and buggy industry. See Ole Miss. I hope Lebby figures it out.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
John Grisham's son is the only one I'm aware of. Incredibly stupid to not allow him a walk-on spot and somebody should have stepped in and been the adult in the room there.

Did we pass on Raffy's son? Or did he go somewhere else because of the fallout with POlk? Or just go somewhere else because he wanted to go somewhere else?
Not really, they both just decided to do their own things. Cohen actually recruited one of them pretty hard.

Raffy has never waivered in his support for MSU.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

Did Gisham's son really want to walk-on and was told no? Did that actually happen?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Did Gisham's son really want to walk-on and was told no? Did that actually happen?
I was told by somebody very high up that it did. They were complaining about McMahan not letting a guy with a top academic scholarship walkon. Student had offers to play at small schools but no P5 offers. While complaining about not really even giving the guy a chance he mentioned it was just like with Grisham's son. The baseball coaches complain about lack of scholarship money and then turn down players that can pay their own way. He was on the academic side so maybe he was misinformed, but he dealt with Grisham personally on the donations for the library and other things so I'm guessing he knew the details.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I was told by somebody very high up that it did. They were complaining about McMahan not letting a guy with a top academic scholarship walkon. Student had offers to play at small schools but no P5 offers. While complaining about not really even giving the guy a chance he mentioned it was just like with Grisham's son. The baseball coaches complain about lack of scholarship money and then turn down players that can pay their own way. He was on the academic side so maybe he was misinformed, but he dealt with Grisham personally on the donations for the library and other things so I'm guessing he knew the details.
Such a monumentally dumb thing to do if true.

Tripp McNeely

Aug 2, 2021

Money to visit, signing bonuses, trolling schools' fans, etc. etc.
Unrelated...but Cooterpoot, quit "limiting" who can view your profile!!! ...some of us...not naming names, just saying some people...really wanna get an up close of your profile pic...for research purposes only!

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's ruining college sports. What we have now is unrestricted free agency EVERY SINGLE YEAR for every player and no salary cap. Even European soccer, the last bastion of real capitalism in professional sports, doesn't have that. At least there, players are under contract and bound to the club for the length of their contracts. If a club wants to poach a player on another team, there has to be compensation to the contracted club as long as the contract lasts.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The section about trolling is proof that you should never ever follow high school recruits on social media.
Related- the first and only MSU player I followed on Twitter was Dee Bost. Oh 17 that was a terrible decision. I dont want to dislike the players I want to root for. The less known the better in some(many?) instances.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's ruining college sports. What we have now is unrestricted free agency EVERY SINGLE YEAR for every player and no salary cap. Even European soccer, the last bastion of real capitalism in professional sports, doesn't have that. At least there, players are under contract and bound to the club for the length of their contracts. If a club wants to poach a player on another team, there has to be compensation to the contracted club as long as the contract lasts.
At this point, I think this is the only way to save college sports. Binding contracts and transfer fees (free transfers for players who are out of contract). Players & schools can decide how long to sign a contract for. On a 1-year contract, the school has the risk the player may leave, and the player has the risk if he doesn't perform, he may be cut (transferred out). On a 4-year contract, the player has the security of 4 guaranteed years income, but if he wants to transfer the schools must negotiate a transfer fee.

Reactions: Papapat.sixpack

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Related- the first and only MSU player I followed on Twitter was Dee Bost. Oh 17 that was a terrible decision. I dont want to dislike the players I want to root for. The less known the better in some(many?) instances.
I was a season ticket holder in those years, with a fantastic close up look down the MSU bench. Bost's behavior with the coaches was, shall we say, not what you want to see (at least in my opinion).

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
At this point, I think this is the only way to save college sports. Binding contracts and transfer fees (free transfers for players who are out of contract). Players & schools can decide how long to sign a contract for. On a 1-year contract, the school has the risk the player may leave, and the player has the risk if he doesn't perform, he may be cut (transferred out). On a 4-year contract, the player has the security of 4 guaranteed years income, but if he wants to transfer the schools must negotiate a transfer fee.
EXACTLY.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd rather keep the current system than go this route.

At least now there is the illusion that players are picking your school because they like the school.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

Guy with academic scholarship (or paying his own way), with high profile father talks their way onto team.

First month of season, father asks why son isn't seeing the field "enough". Gets more playing time.

Another couple of weeks go by, father says "hey, why isn't he a starter". Kid made a starter to appease.

2 more weeks, father says "hey, why isn't my son the Friday night starter" sir, your son isn't even a pitcher, but yes, let's appease even more.

If the kid was good enough to make the team, I could possibly see it. I could definitely see that there would be nothing stopping further requests of advancement too.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

At least now there is the illusion that players are picking your school because they like the school.
As an avid follower of one particular English club, there is still that illusion. Every other big team's players are mercenaries, but not OURS. ;)

Reactions: 17itdawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

I don’t know if you read the article or not but there were quite a few who said the NIL money wasn’t a factor. Still decided by the coaches, school, location etc.

Reactions: ETK99 and 17itdawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I'm an unrestricted free agent too. I can switch jobs whenever I want to. I agree that it might not be good for college athletics, well for the small schools at right now, but that's the system people with money have and the courts have allowed so far. It's not the system "we" may want but look at how many people complain about healthcare and other aspects of American capitalism because it doesn't work for them or for some people.

So Europe is a model for us now. It is a bit different from the NFL. NFL team owners can move to another city largely whenever they want and that's allowed under our system. Can't imagine ManU moving anywhere.

Anyway, tell those in charge of college athletics, those with TV rights, our court system, etc. to change it. It's a system that's not working for State so it's easy to complain about it. Hell, most college athletics isn't even self-funding. I admit is sucks but that's the system in place and we need to figure out how to take advantage of it. I want State to win. That's purely me being selfish because I enjoy when we win. Some of these talented, often poor and non-white athletes might have other interests besides making Podgy feel good about his team on weekends.

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I don't see college sports being ruined. There's too much money for it to be ruined so if the current model isn't working, it will change. The current model may not work best for State and State fans but we're dependent on being a member of the SEC and getting a handout annually from schools that bring in more revenue. I've been to FCS games and the tailgating and games are entertaining. Maybe big time college sports needs to be taken down a notch. Look at attendance at a lot of those bowl games.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login