This is NIL

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'm an unrestricted free agent too. I can switch jobs whenever I want to. I agree that it might not be good for college athletics, well for the small schools at right now, but that's the system people with money have and the courts have allowed so far. It's not the system "we" may want but look at how many people complain about healthcare and other aspects of American capitalism because it doesn't work for them or for some people.

So Europe is a model for us now. It is a bit different from the NFL. NFL team owners can move to another city largely whenever they want and that's allowed under our system. Can't imagine ManU moving anywhere. Then tell those in charge of college athletics, those with TV rights, our court system to change it. It's a system that's not working for State so it's easy to complain about it. Hell, most college athletics isn't even self-funding. I admit is sucks but that's the system in place and we need to figure out how to take advantage of it.
We have the same thing with contracts in our pro sports. College sports is now professional. Contracts are needed or it is going to destroy the game. There is a REASON every PRO TEAM SPORT operates with a contract system.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We have the same thing with contracts in our pro sports. College sports is now professional. Contracts are needed or it is going to destroy the game. There is a REASON every PRO TEAM SPORT operates with a contract system.
So tell those handing out NIL's to get guys to sign a contract. Tell recruits that to come to State and get NIL funds, you're gonna be under contract. But what if they suck or get in trouble or otherwise don't work out? Can we cancel the contract? How much do lawyers cost to handle this? What if we cancel a contract and it's challenged in court? How much with that cost?

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
So tell those handing out NIL's to get guys to sign a contract. Tell recruits that to come to State and get NIL funds, you're gonna be under contract. But what if they suck or get in trouble or otherwise don't work out? Can we cancel the contract? How much do lawyers cost to handle this? What if we cancel a contract and it's challenged in court? How much with that cost?
Pro sports deal with this all the time. If you want college athletes to get paid then this is what you have to deal with.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't see college sports being ruined. There's too much money for it to be ruined so if the current model isn't working, it will change. The current model may not work best for State and State fans but we're dependent on being a member of the SEC and getting a handout annually from schools that bring in more revenue. I've been to FCS games and the tailgating and games are entertaining. Maybe big time college sports needs to be taken down a notch. Look at attendance at a lot of those bowl games.
As long as these boosters fund collectives, ain't nothing changing. The schools are sitting back collecting their TV check, and players are sitting back taking their NIL. This will continue for a while until a bunch of the underpaid players, whether they be 2nd tier starters and/or backups, start bltching about needing some money too.

Reactions: patdog

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
As long as these boosters fund collectives, ain't nothing changing. The schools are sitting back collecting their TV check, and players are sitting back taking their NIL. This will continue for a while until a bunch of the underpaid players, whether they be 2nd tier starters and/or backups, start bltching about needing some money too.
This is already happening. Arch Manning is getting $3.2MM/yr to ride the bench at Texas.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
What's wrong with Americans making money? I had a job in high school although it didn't pay nearly as much. Plus, who are we to tell the wealthy how to spend their hard-earned wealth? We decided to spend more than anyone else on a baseball stadium. Did anyone at the time say something like "no, that's night right. It's way too much money for an amateur sport played by amateur athletes?" Did that turn off baseball fans more than losing?
Nothing wrong with it. I'd just prefer we stop branding it NIL. It's not. There is little to no marketing being provided by these athletes. Scrolls down the list of our NIL athletes. Nobody gives a 17 about these kids aside from performance. They aren't selling jerseys or hawking a local business's products. It's simply booster slush funds to get young adults to troll and sign scholarship papers for 1 year and hopefully produce on the field or court (or at least not produce elsewhere).

It'd be more entertaining for me if these contracts were performance based. Want the talent to spread out and get real hungry? Make it actual pay for performance. Sacks, TDs, INTs, pancakes and on...you get paid per unit. Sit back and watch the fun fun fun. Paying an unproven athlete to sign scholarship papers or to build depth at a premier program? Lame. I want the backups wanting to murder the starters for their chance to eat and get that cash. I'll contribute to that system. At least it's honest.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
We heard recruits could make money just for taking an unofficial visit to a school. How many times did you take an unofficial visit just to collect some cash?

• I mean there’s probably somewhere between 45 to 50 kids I know who did it. Usually it was around $6,000 to $7,000. You do an interview with this podcast, come down, we’ll pay for your room, your trip, etc.

• I did it a couple times. It was less than $1,000 each time.

• I took like five or six unofficials. I didn’t get paid every time.

• I didn’t know you could do that. For real? I wish I would have — I would have been collecting. Oh my gah. I didn’t have that. I wish.

So if I donate to the BI, I already don't know where that money is going or what it's being used for, and now there's a chance that it's given to a kid who has no intention of going to State at all and is just traveling around picking up $ taking unofficial visits? Well 17ing A, sign me up for that...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is already happening. Arch Manning is getting $3.2MM/yr to ride the bench at Texas.
That's not what I meant, nor is it anywhere near the point.

First of all - Arch has already said he is refusing NIL until he's the starting QB. And stop listening to the internet, Arch is NOT bringing in 3.2M a year.

Secondly, the point was that when the 80% of players who get NOTHING, start getting jealous and claiming they works as hard or whatever as the 20% who get paid, THEN we might see some change. And that will only happen if they band together and strike or something. But they won't, because they are the working class of college football, and they always get shlt on.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nothing wrong with it. I'd just prefer we stop branding it NIL. It's not. There is little to no marketing being provided by these athletes. Scrolls down the list of our NIL athletes. Nobody gives a 17 about these kids aside from performance. They aren't selling jerseys or hawking a local business's products. It's simply booster slush funds to get young adults to troll and sign scholarship papers for 1 year and hopefully produce on the field or court (or at least not produce elsewhere).

It'd be more entertaining for me if these contracts were performance based. Want the talent to spread out and get real hungry? Make it actual pay for performance. Sacks, TDs, INTs, pancakes and on...you get paid per unit. Sit back and watch the fun fun fun. Paying an unproven athlete to sign scholarship papers or to build depth at a premier program? Lame. I want the backups wanting to murder the starters for their chance to eat and get that cash. I'll contribute to that system. At least it's honest.
Agree. That's what I said in the thread Rick Cleveland started. These guys aren't advertising a damn thing. The only reason they are getting paid is because boosters want to win.

CharlieWinfield

Feb 15, 2015
Agree. That's what I said in the thread Rick Cleveland started. These guys aren't advertising a damn thing. The only reason they are getting paid is because boosters want to win.
I recognize that this is really small (and in no way contradicts your comment at all), but we are working to be more transactional and to do more to show our work on some of these things. This was a first start from today (below). I am starting to see more businesses who are interested in using athletes for the actual NIL value (I recognize more is a relative term, but at least it is something).

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
That's not what I meant, nor is it anywhere near the point.

First of all - Arch has already said he is refusing NIL until he's the starting QB. And stop listening to the internet, Arch is NOT bringing in 3.2M a year.

Secondly, the point was that when the 80% of players who get NOTHING, start getting jealous and claiming they works as hard or whatever as the 20% who get paid, THEN we might see some change. And that will only happen if they band together and strike or something. But they won't, because they are the working class of college football, and they always get shlt on.

So Cooper’s role is to handle that which Arch refuses to take?

Seems like someone who has a background in managing investments would spend his time on something more than Monopoly money.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It's not "den letzten Wochen?" Can't remember all those rules and genders.
German GIF by Mouse

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
What's wrong with Americans making money? I had a job in high school although it didn't pay nearly as much. Plus, who are we to tell the wealthy how to spend their hard-earned wealth? We decided to spend more than anyone else on a baseball stadium. Did anyone at the time say something like "no, that's night right. It's way too much money for an amateur sport played by amateur athletes?" Did that turn off baseball fans more than losing?
There’s nothing wrong with it being legal. It’s simply sad to see people are so immoral. These kids’s lives are being destroyed so rich dude can brag to another rich dude about his alma mater winnng a game.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We heard recruits could make money just for taking an unofficial visit to a school. How many times did you take an unofficial visit just to collect some cash?

• I mean there’s probably somewhere between 45 to 50 kids I know who did it. Usually it was around $6,000 to $7,000. You do an interview with this podcast, come down, we’ll pay for your room, your trip, etc.

• I did it a couple times. It was less than $1,000 each time.

• I took like five or six unofficials. I didn’t get paid every time.

• I didn’t know you could do that. For real? I wish I would have — I would have been collecting. Oh my gah. I didn’t have that. I wish.

So if I donate to the BI, I already don't know where that money is going or what it's being used for, and now there's a chance that it's given to a kid who has no intention of going to State at all and is just traveling around picking up $ taking unofficial visits? Well 17ing A, sign me up for that...
Players were getting paid to visit decades ago although it wasn't much. A handshake with a bit of cash.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

I think this part is true: "Nobody gives a 17 about these kids aside from performance."
I want them to perform well so I can enjoy a victory. I never heard of these guys until they got to State and I don't even know who most players or who the backups are. I hope they do well and get degrees and become productive citizens, but do fans really keep following guys not in the NFL pro after they finish?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I recognize that this is really small (and in no way contradicts your comment at all), but we are working to be more transactional and to do more to show our work on some of these things. This was a first start from today (below). I am starting to see more businesses who are interested in using athletes for the actual NIL value (I recognize more is a relative term, but at least it is something).

This is a true NIL example and the fans would likely feel more comfortable with the idea of it occurring at large scale if this was the standard for how the dollars were being funded and used.

Feels more like we are leaning on individuals and paying out as a wager that a recruit or transfer pans out and contributes. Not saying people can't do what they want with their money at all. If contributors want to donate for an unproven prospect to sign a piece of paper, they should do it. But a genuine NIL would be rewarding student athletes who build a name for themselves in the local (or beyond for the superstars) community and then use that goodwill to help businesses profit like any other sponsorship deal. I'd be fired up for any student athlete who builds that kind of value and can monetize it. If they can pull that off before they get to college (non-collective sponsorships, pay for social media post, whatever), that's great too. I hope the environment moves toward that and gets away from individuals/boosters simply gambling on these young people. That aspect of it should remain out of the mainstream and under the table where it always has been.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login