This opt out **** is ridiculous and when I watched the National defensive

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
player of the year interviewed during N C State’ bowl game it really made me sick. He talked about his brothers and how much he loved them and how he wanted to be there for them to show support. That is total BS to me. He was in his comfortable street clothes while his “ brothers” were competing. He, like many others, was all about himself in the end. It is a really bad sign of the times for a game we will not even recognize in another very few years.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I saw that. That dude stood there and talked about his “brothers”, “finishing strong” and “being there for his teammates” all the while he’s in street clothes on the sideline.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Sam Hartman said same stuff. But with a more of a “I’m letting them compete for the starting gig next year” twist. Those ND players are so lucky to have a brother that cares

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
While I understand the opt outs, its totally ruined bowl season for me. The teams playing in the bowls in a lot of cases barely even resemble the teams that played during the regular season. The Georgia-FSU game could have been a great game but now its likely going to be a dud because of all the FSU opt outs.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
It’s time to end the bowl games. Just do the post season playoffs and be done with it.
Why? Why would you want fewer football games? Who cares if there are opt outs? The non championship bowls have always been glorified exhibition games, so just look at it as an opportunity to get guys experience for next year and an excuse to take a trip or whatever.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It’s just business, like college football. This morphing into semi-pro is what it is, and it’s making me care less about watching. Agree with coast, just do a playoff and scrap the rest.

I haven't given a **** about bowl games other than ones Mississippi State was in or playoff games in many years.

If this attitude would become more pervasive maybe we could move towards no bowl games that aren't win and advance situations.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Why? Why would you want fewer football games? Who cares if there are opt outs? The non championship bowls have always been glorified exhibition games, so just look at it as an opportunity to get guys experience for next year and an excuse to take a trip or whatever.
Expand the season to 13 games rather than having 12 real games and 1 fake one.

Reactions: Dawg1976

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
^^^^^ this.

Who wants less football? If you don't like it don't watch. I'm for more bowl games, let the non play off schools bid on them.

I swear, some of you people just look for stuff to get butt hurt over.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Why? Why would you want fewer football games? Who cares if there are opt outs? The non championship bowls have always been glorified exhibition games, so just look at it as an opportunity to get guys experience for next year and an excuse to take a trip or whatever
32 team playoffs...

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I'm fine with having the games as it at least gives younger players more reps in preparation for the following season but people should absolutely quit caring about them in terms of wins and losses altogether because they are now less than what preseason games are in the NFL.

civildawg88

Aug 22, 2012
My whole conundrum with players sitting out bowl games is why is it just bowl games? Why not sit out regular season games when your team is out of contention?

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Opt outs and meaningless games. These games are the equivalent of next week’s Jets/Patriots game and even that one matters more because of draft order implications. It used to be the only way you’d see Oklahoma play Alabama or Florida State play whoever or State play Michigan but those games are happening during the season and as it turns out, those games have a 50/50 shot of the outcome mattering and it will matter even less starting next year when we see 3-4 2-loss teams get a chance to theoretically play for a national championship.

The changing landscape has ruined it for me.

Reactions: Dawg1976

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
My whole conundrum with players sitting out bowl games is why is it just bowl games? Why not sit out regular season games when your team is out of contention?
Because they can lose their scholarship mid season if they sit out where as bowl season starts after the semester is over so they can transfer or whatever because academic standing is no longer an issue.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Back when people were debating having a CFP, I argued it would destroy bowl games. "Oh,no, we can have both!," they said.

Granted, I didn't imagine opt-outs and transfers being a thing, but away go the bowls. And here we are, a penniless doormat about to move to an elite division of college football with few limitations.

Better learn to enjoy every regular season game, because post season will be a thing of the past.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Because during the regular season there's the illusion that you're playing for something real (only a few teams actually are). Also, to be eligible and get free schooling, you kinda have to.

If you've played enough to prove you're an NFL talent, getting hurt in a meaningless bowl game would be stupider than stupid.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
^^^^^ this.

Who wants less football? If you don't like it don't watch. I'm for more bowl games, let the non play off schools bid on them.

"Expand the season to 13 games rather than having 12 real games and 1 fake one."

This leads to even MORE football than your suggestion, and the 13th game that every school gets is part of the regular season, rather than a month later after transfers and opt-outs.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
"Expand the season to 13 games rather than having 12 real games and 1 fake one."

This leads to even MORE football than your suggestion, and the 13th game that every school gets is part of the regular season, rather than a month later after transfers and opt-outs.
I'm good with that, CFB gives up much of December. It makes no sense.

Maybe make that 13th game for the non play off teams and be some type of B10/SEC/ACC/Big 12 match up.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They will eventually do that, at least the seniors. Oh well, it’s life.

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
If you've played enough to prove you're an NFL talent, getting hurt in a meaningless bowl game would be stupider than stupid.
Just for reference, actually how many players have been hurt so bad in a bowl game they didn't get to the nfl if deserving? Honest question and I'll give you the last 20 years. There's always the chance of getting hurt and not making the big show. When did bowl games get the wrap for killing your nfl career?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
So you are willing to take off time from work, pay for game tickets, flights, hotels, meals and drinks, souvenirs, etc to watch an exhibition game between 2 teams whose roster you can't even recognize from 4-6 weeks ago so that maybe they will be better next year? That's some next level wasted money and idiocy.
Or no, wait, you expect others to do that so you can stay home and watch on TV?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
So you are willing to take off time from work, pay for game tickets, flights, hotels, meals and drinks, souvenirs, etc to watch an exhibition game between 2 teams whose roster you can't even recognize from 4-6 weeks ago so that maybe they will be better next year? That's some next level wasted money and idiocy.
I'm a long time season ticket holder, but the last bowl game I went to was the Snow Bowl. Bowl games are "made for TV" more than made for spectators. I rarely go to any road games, bowl games are no exception.

Just don't go to bowl games, if you look at the stands, most are less than 1/2 half.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
^^^^^ this.

I have recorded every bowl game. I only know the finals of the few of them. I am going to wait few weeks then start watching them. I will watch the two games Monday live.

Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I haven't watched a single bowl game this year, other than catching a few glimpses at a restaurant or wherever, and I don't feel like I've missed anything. I will watch the playoffs, and obviously I would have watched our game if we'd gotten one.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
What the hell are you talking about? My point was that non-championship bowl games are no more meaningless today than they were 10 years ago. So why is it all of the sudden time to end them just because a bunch of players opt out? And why would you even want to? At the end of the day it's still more football, and you can use it as an excuse to take a trip or get a preview of next year's players. Or you can not watch at all. I just don't know why you would lobby to end them.

And if you're implying that the fans that attend bowl games are footing the bill for all the freeloaders who sit at home and watch, that's just stupid. It's TV viewership that makes most of these bowls viable.

KeyserSoze1999

Aug 26, 2015
I will say it makes my degenerate sports gambling nearly impossible...all the ridiculous opt-outs...Georgia hangs 63 points on FSU?!!! Please ya'll college kids, some of us are trying to get a couple of lucky picks during Bowl Season to pay off some of the Christmas presents debt...ya'll are Killing Me!!!***

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
63-3 game today with 17 FSU players willingly not participating and you enjoyed that and thought it was neat to see next year's players practicing against each other?
Yea, I mean that happens all the time. Let's cancel all the bowl games because of one extremely uncommon situation that led to a ton of players opting out. Idiot.

Again, I understand people having no interest in meaningless bowl games. I do not understand people lobbying to end bowl games. Just don't 17ing watch them if you're not interested.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Yea, I mean that happens all the time. Let's cancel all the bowl games because of one extremely uncommon situation that led to a ton of players opting out. Idiot.

Again, I understand people having no interest in meaningless bowl games. I do not understand people lobbying to end bowl games. Just don't 17ing watch them if you're not interested.
^^^^^This is the correct answer. You win the Internet. If you don't like a certain restaurant should it close even if other people enjoy the food? If you don't like a certain car brand, should they stop making them even though others prefer to drive them?
I dont like democrats but I don't want them eliminated. I just want them to lose.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

Because we're saying to REPLACE them with something better. Everybody plays 13 regular season games and then literally the next week an expanded playoff begins.

That's actually MORE games and all are meaningful.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Change NIL rules so that 15% of a player’s NIL money is held in escrow until after that team’s bowl game has been played (if the team makes it to a bowl). Any NIL player must play at least 2 complete series taking place in at least 2 separate quarters of the bowl game to receive the holdback money.

Any NIL player who does not accomplish this, even if due to injury, does not get the holdback.

All forfeited holdback money should be divided evenly among any non-NIL players on the team.

It seems most of the opt-out players are the “high-value” players who tend to receive most of the NIL money anyway and, currently, tend to be the ones most likely to opt-out.

A system like this would help but, in reality, it would be hard to put it into practice.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
player of the year interviewed during N C State’ bowl game it really made me sick. He talked about his brothers and how much he loved them and how he wanted to be there for them to show support. That is total BS to me. He was in his comfortable street clothes while his “ brothers” were competing. He, like many others, was all about himself in the end. It is a really bad sign of the times for a game we will not even recognize in another very few years.
On behalf of the networks broadcasting the games, thanks for watching

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I haven't watched a single bowl game this year, other than catching a few glimpses at a restaurant or wherever, and I don't feel like I've missed anything. I will watch the playoffs, and obviously I would have watched our game if we'd gotten one.
The only game I turned on I already knew the outcome before it started. FSU had a total of 23 opt outs and were playing the best team in the country. I watched for 1 1/2 quarter then changed the channel. Won't be watching the CFP either. I really don't care who wins this year. College football is losing its appeal as it becomes Jr NFL.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm good with that, CFB gives up much of December. It makes no sense.

Maybe make that 13th game for the non play off teams and be some type of B10/SEC/ACC/Big 12 match up.
Kids opting out has little to do with the actual bowl game.

We are going through a culture shift. There is a lot more "I over team". And when millions of dollars are in play, I can't say I blame them.

NCAAF is nothing more than an opportunity to build a resume for some players. Once an agent convinces a kid and his family that his resume is complete enough, they will shut it down. I think the opting out will get worse and worse. You'll see a lot more kids with a "soft tissue injury" shut it down in September and prep for the NFL draft.

IMO, agents are ruining the sport as much as anything. They want to get paid and are steering these kids not to play.

Reactions: patdog

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Kids opting out has little to do with the actual bowl game.

We are going through a culture shift. There is a lot more "I over team". And when millions of dollars are in play, I can't say I blame them.

NCAAF is nothing more than an opportunity to build a resume for some players. Once an agent convinces a kid and his family that his resume is complete enough, they will shut it down. I think the opting out will get worse and worse. You'll see a lot more kids with a "soft tissue injury" shut it down in September and prep for the NFL draft.

IMO, agents are ruining the sport as much as anything. They want to get paid and are steering these kids not to play.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login