This opt out **** is ridiculous and when I watched the National defensive

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
His "AND STILL" is slightly rooted in homerism since sports media is his job. He has to be a cheerleader.

Truth, the talking heads depend on viewers. The last thing they want is losing their audiences. If college football continues in its current path they will lose a portion of that audience. I'm almost there myself. I don't watch any of the sports talk shows anymore.

Reactions: aTotal360

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The numbers are down on most bowls but the ratings they get still justify their existence in some form. The Cotton Bowl the other night was an exception. It had the really good ratings as a non playoff game. Should there be an overhaul of the bowl games? Probably. They have to figure out how to juggle transfers and opt outs and NIL.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Again, I understand people having no interest in meaningless bowl games. I do not understand people lobbying to end bowl games. Just don't 17ing watch them if you're not interested.
I get your point, but my specific answer would be, I just prefer a rigid system. The bowls just don't fit into one, ever since 2014. I just hate this constantly evolving shlt we have going on right now where nobody knows what is going on.

But it doesn't matter, bowls will continue as long as the bowl execs make money off them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
His "AND STILL" is slightly rooted in homerism since sports media is his job. He has to be a cheerleader.

Watch and see the ratings this 12-team playoff will do, as a whole. It's going to be.....extravagant.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
Watch and see the ratings this 12-team playoff will do, as a whole. It's going to be.....extravagant.
Maybe the first year. But people are going to get tired of watching 1st round & quarterfinal blowouts pretty quickly.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe the first year. But people are going to get tired of watching 1st round & quarterfinal blowouts pretty quickly.
You may be surprised on first round games. In a one-game setting, many things can happen. But yeah, due to the bye, I think the big strong Bama/Georgia teams will just wax a battle weary team who won in the first round. Unless they spread out the first and second rounds or something, I have not looked at the schedule.

That's why it was so dumb to do 12. Just do 16 and let the top 4 seeds play a G5 team or similar.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
You may be surprised on first round games. In a one-game setting, many things can happen. But yeah, due to the bye, I think the big strong Bama/Georgia teams will just wax a battle weary team who won in the first round. Unless they spread out the first and second rounds or something, I have not looked at the schedule.

That's why it was so dumb to do 12. Just do 16 and let the top 4 seeds play a G5 team or similar.
I think the reason they went with 12 was so every game can be on national tv. I think that’s a mistake. Either go with 8 or eliminate the conference championship games & go with 16. Could play 1st round over 2 weekends & still have every game on national tv.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
The numbers are down on most bowls but the ratings they get still justify their existence in some form. The Cotton Bowl the other night was an exception. It had the really good ratings as a non playoff game. Should there be an overhaul of the bowl games? Probably. They have to figure out how to juggle transfers and opt outs and NIL.

And this is why Ohio State is an ESPN favorite for the playoffs. They bring the viewers. It is also the reason they don't want us in the playoffs. That applies to Washington as well. If ESPN had their way the final 4 in football would always be Alabama, Ohio State, Southern Cal and Texas. It is about demographics, advertisers and making a big profit.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Thanks for posting! Interesting information in that graphic. I doubt the numbers will go up much for the play in games. They should have made it a 16 team playoff. semis and final will be big. Even so, I expect the same teams to be there year after year. $$$ are king and officiating will help nudge the right teams to prominence as they have in the past.

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
To me, the early bowl games are still fun to watch. 6 or 7 win teams that are happy to get in a bowl and don't have a ton of opt outs. Sure, there were some portal issues this year, but for the most part, those games featured teams that really cared about winning the game.

baddmann007

Sep 26, 2023
To me, the early bowl games are still fun to watch. 6 or 7 win teams that are happy to get in a bowl and don't have a ton of opt outs. Sure, there were some portal issues this year, but for the most part, those games featured teams that really cared about winning the game.
Agreed. Some of those games were great. (Jacksonville State/ULL and W. Kentucky/Old Dominion) Also watched the FCS playoffs this year and saw some good matchups.

I like away games and bowl games. Away games allow you to experience different game day atmospheres and bowl games are a mini-vacation during the holidays. Really felt weird not having a bowl game this year…

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login