Those who no longer have season football tickets in the last few years- do you miss it?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I was talking with a couple guys who have had season tickets to Iowa State since 2005 and 2009 and one said that despite how great it is to see ISU doing well right now and come back last Saturday to keep the win streak going, he is thinking this season might be his last.

It's a lot of planning each week, a ton of money, a ton of weekend time gone, etc.all the usual things. And he also complained about a lack of connection to the team due to $.

Curious to hear if anyone who had MSU tickets up until the last few years has missed the traditon/routine and is thinking about getting season tickets again for next fall.

Reactions: dgsmith15

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Curious, what is the situation in Ames regarding hotel rooms etc? That drives my weekend spending way up.

nvm: their hotel situation is better than ours. Texas Tech weekend is cheaper than any sec weekend in Starkville

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdawg22

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
I miss it. I live several hours away. Where my life is right now as far as work, kids, etc. it is just not contusive to going on a regular basis. Unless our program or college football completely comes off the rails, I intent to get back to going sooner or later. I probably need to get a life, but for better or worse, Mississippi State sports is really the only interest I have outside of my profession and family.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Curious, what is the situation in Ames regarding hotel rooms etc? That drives my weekend spending way up.

nvm: their hotel situation is better than ours. Texas Tech weekend is cheaper than any sec weekend in Starkville
Nope, not at all. It just got to be too big of a hassle. What normally takes me an hour to drive too/fro takes about 2 hours on gameday and it's a hellu'va lot less expensive. Yeah, I miss some of the people but the folks I really like I stay in touch with anyway. Any thought I may have had about getting season tix again was killed off by NIL. I keep my baseball but that's it.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I haven't been to a game since 2019. I didn't miss many during the Mullen and Moorhead years. It just got to be too expensive and too much of a hassle for the enjoyment I got out of it. Even when we were winning, I just got to the point where I was dreading going. I'm sort of thinking about maybe going to one of the last three home games, but it's just that, thinking about it.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I do still have mine at the moment, but my kids' schedules this fall have kept us away for several games. I gotta be honest and say I haven't found myself missing it as much as I thought I would. The chances I would let our seats go have risen, particularly given the price increases I expect are coming.

Ers236

Oct 5, 2023
Let them go this season and I don't miss it at all. Can still get single game tickets from friends if I get the itch to go but with step kids in soccer, football, cheer, etc it's hard to find time to even go. Our ticket cost increased a good bit and that was a big reason we declined

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Gave mine up three years ago after 20+ years. I miss the tailgating and friends I usually only saw at games but I don't miss the games much at all Someone offered me two club level tickets and a parking pass for last weeks game for free and I passed on them. I only live 45 minutes from Starkville so the cost would have been zero. It really came down to cost to me. I just decided that my $ would buy more entertainment elsewhere.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Parking and traffic did me in. The last game we attended took 1.5 to 2 hours to get off campus and on the road and this was after spending an hour or so post-game visiting several tailgates to see old friends.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Ames is 40min from the largest city/metro and 1hr45min from the 3rd and 4th largest city/metros. I am guessing that difference leads to fewer needing to stay the night, compared to MSU since Jackson metro is the largest and is over 2 hours away, then the coast is next largest MS metro and 4 hours away, and even Memphis metro is 2.5 hours away.

Maybe fewer stay the night for ISU games? Or maybe there are more hotels? No idea.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think you’ll find the answers to be anecdotal.

The facts:

1) Family and children complicate things greatly. Big family + 2 hr drive or more and you are not going to enjoy it for very long.

2) Because of #1, less and less people keep coming back as they get older. That means you have progressively fewer people to see when you visit as the years go by.

3) FBS football is turning off a bunch of older fans

4) Schools like MSU aren’t positioned very well in the new climate.

5) It keeps getting more expensive.

I’d love to know how many people have families of 4 or more people….with kids younger than high school age, who live at least 2 hrs away, who still buy season tickets for MSU football. I bet it isn’t very many.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I have season tickets but the last few years have not made many games. Kids and their schedules, combined with tv kickoff times and a 2 hour drive up and sometimes 3 hours back counting the time it takes to get off campus are contributing factors.

I do miss it quite a bit. At least I miss what it used to be, not so sure I exactly miss the hassle that it’s turned into today. As a kid in the 80s I was fortunate enough to be able to tag along with family members and make several games every season. Tailgating consisted of sitting in a lawn chair popping the trunk and eating a sandwich or some chicken nuggets we picked up on the way up while we listened to USM or OM on the radio.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I miss it a lot, but I also recognize that it’s a time of my life that isn’t going to be like that again. Mid 20s, no kids, healthy parents, and nothing besides work to plan around.

It’s weird to think about, but the next time that I’d even consider season tickets again would be when our kids are in college, and we’d be the 50 year old parents that I’m remembering sharing beers with.

My hat’s off to yall that are in the same situation with kids, yet still find a way to get to Starkville for a game these days. I know it isn’t easy

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
yes and no. I miss it but not the hassle. my kids are grown or in college elsewhere. Wife isn’t interested and to be honest I had club level and we did scoreboard level for kids. it got expensive so I don’t miss that. I would still buy them and go if I had a crew to go with Also the weird TV times became a pain due to the drive.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I gave mine up following the 2019 season and I do miss it. I love being there and tailgating. But like several, I’ve moved far away and not feasible at all. I’d love to go back every weekend again, but now It’s probably around $1500 a weekend for my family of 3 to go back. Back then I had a place to stay with my sister but her and her husband have moved so that’s our dilemma . My college buddies do a trip back every other year and that’s what we do now combined with a road game every once in a while so that’s where we are at in our early 30s

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Kathy Bates Lol GIF by Team Coco

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I finally admitted to myself a couple of years ago that I no longer enjoy attending live sporting events. The epiphany hit me at a Bama/Upig game and it just seemed over produced with football almost taking a backseat to everything else (similar to a Cowboys game day). The occasional is fine but even then I think twice about it. I've turned down great Cowboys tickets including club suite tickets because I'd rather be at home cooking on my grill drinking beer out of my refrigerator using my restroom watching the game on my tv. There was a time I would attend as many live sporting events as possible but those days are over.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
TLDR— No, I don’t miss it.

I quit going to games when GTR friends moved away.

Mississippi State Athletics has a 17ing horrible history when it comes to fan engagement and customer service.

I’ve been contacted by US Soccer wondering if I were interested in going to future matches in cities where I’ve previously seen the MNT.

On the other hand, the MSU Athletics Department does an excellent job of impersonating mole crickets chirping. I don’t see that changing.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
I gave up my tickets in 2018. 3 hr drive and 2 kids under 4 made it impossible to keep going to all of the games. I still feel weird watching home games on TV.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I buy them but don't feel like I have to go any more. I will give them away. Next season home schedule is the best we have had in a long time. Tenn, TX, GA, ASU along with Ole Miss, Alcorn and NIU. With a little improvement we could go 4-3 or even maybe better. Good chance we will see a Heisman winner play.

Reactions: Dawg84

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Travel lacrosse, volleyball, and flag football replaced my traveling to Starkville. I miss everything except the fans.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Don’t miss them. It’s very easy to get good tickets on the secondary market and I don’t have to feel obligated to go to games I really don’t want to.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We are long term season ticket holders and will continue to buy them, attend games and support the team. We drive from Jxn, so not really an issue for commute (although we do own a condo). What I don’t like is missing good games on TV that are the same time as our game. Easy to flip back and forth at home.

Pro tip for parking, park at the Starkville Church of Christ, easy in and out from campus and a 20 minute walk to the stadium.

BigBully

Feb 27, 2008
I miss going to the games and tailgating. I live 5.5 hrs away from S'ville and it was easier when my kids had apartments and we would stay with them. But the deciding factor for us was spending 10 - 11 hrs in the car going to and from the games. If I were closer, it would be a different story, we would continue with our tickets.

BB

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I haven't made it to a game this season yet although I still buy 4 season tickets because life gets complicated as you age. I had missed 4 home games since 91 prior to this season. I miss it like I would miss oxygen and absolutely cannot wait for my circumstances to change, so that I can started attending again.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
Last bought season tickets in 2020. Didn't go to a single game. Gave them up (along with 2 parking passes in a really choice lot) after 45+ years. Have some good memories, but don't miss it at all. Also gave up my basketball and baseball season tickets as well.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Last bought season tickets in 2020. Didn't go to a single game. Gave them up (along with 2 parking passes in a really choice lot) after 45+ years. Have some good memories, but don't miss it at all. Also gave up my basketball and baseball season tickets as well.
I’d love to get baseball season tickets.

Reactions: Studentdawg06

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
I was talking with a couple guys who have had season tickets to Iowa State since 2005 and 2009 and one said that despite how great it is to see ISU doing well right now and come back last Saturday to keep the win streak going, he is thinking this season might be his last.

It's a lot of planning each week, a ton of money, a ton of weekend time gone, etc.all the usual things. And he also complained about a lack of connection to the team due to $.

Curious to hear if anyone who had MSU tickets up until the last few years has missed the traditon/routine and is thinking about getting season tickets again for next fall.
All games being televised, coupled with huge TV's make it very easy to not want to go to games. Gave up my tickets during the Morehead era and have not missed them once.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I missed having season tickets the first season without (I think it was 2018) but not since then. I can't imagine driving for 3 home games in a row like the current season. Roundtrip, that would be about 1200 miles, and being worn out for a couple days after we got home. Now, we get to watch not only our game, but several others as well. And we're both well rested afterward.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004

I started getting tix in 2012 and this is the first year that I didn’t renew since then. As others have said - I miss the tailgating alot, the game some, and all the planning, driving, etc. not even a little….

It was fun, but my kids are older and would rather hang with local friends on the weekends and I got tired of driving back to the coast solo after games in the middle of the night because they aren’t interested anymore.

I will never get season tickets again. We plan to hit an away game per year and a home game every now and then moving forward.

Reactions: mstateglfr

[email protected]

Oct 27, 2013
I miss it. Quit buying tickets before Covid season due to mobility issues with having to try to get down row without stepping on feet or falling .Still give to Bulldog Club and Initiative. Still love MSU.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I’d give our tix away to friends and family that showed up to our tailgate who couldn’t come to many games, and we’d watch on TV. Got used to not actually going to the games, and just stopped buying tix.

I miss the tailgating, don’t miss going to games at all.
100% The only thing I hated was the delay on critical plays where we had the ball 4th and goal and before we even got over the ball on the TV I’d hear the moaning from the stands.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I finally admitted to myself a couple of years ago that I no longer enjoy attending live sporting events. The epiphany hit me at a Bama/Upig game and it just seemed over produced with football almost taking a backseat to everything else (similar to a Cowboys game day). The occasional is fine but even then I think twice about it. I've turned down great Cowboys tickets including club suite tickets because I'd rather be at home cooking on my grill drinking beer out of my refrigerator using my restroom watching the game on my tv. There was a time I would attend as many live sporting events as possible but those days are over.
Agree with the over production of all live sports. I went to sports to watch sports and talk about sports. It is very hard to do either at a sporting event today. Constant loud music has driven me away.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
It's been about 20 years since I stopped buying season tickets. Miss it in cycles it seems. Not all the time, but every so often. When I was buying tickets you could still park along the onramp to Hwy 12 E. Had a little 4x4 so jumping the curb was easy. 10 minute walk from the stadium and right on the highway.

Stopped with tickets then for multiple reasons. 2nd child coming along and more weekend activities with the kids. And there was bow season.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
100% The only thing I hated was the delay on critical plays where we had the ball 4th and goal and before we even got over the ball on the TV I’d hear the moaning from the stands.
At the same time, the crowd would go ape shitt and we knew something amazing was about to happen

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login