Thought occurred today, I. E. MSU coach

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Hadad said on STM that in this new Era of CFB the head coach has to retool each year bc of transfers, the portal, etc., making team continuity almost impossible. Would State be in a better position if we hired a successful coach from the JUCO ranks either as head coach or some kind of recruiting/portal coordinator? My reason is that JUCO coaches are used to retooling every year, and some in Mississippi are really successful at it. Our current staff is lost in just about all aspects of the game, so bringing in a seasoned Juco coach may be helpful. I know Tony Hughes has been good for us, but it may have passed him by.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bleh. It’s just one more aspect of recrootin. It’s made it easier to transition. But I like the train of thought. I like innovation. We have to do that at Sip State.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
this new Era of CFB the head coach has to retool each year bc of transfers, the portal, etc., making team continuity almost impossible.

Looking at ESPN % chance to make the CFP. It appears the usual contenders aren't have having much if any problems with team continuity. It's business as usual except its legal.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Hadad said on STM that in this new Era of CFB the head coach has to retool each year bc of transfers, the portal, etc., making team continuity almost impossible. Would State be in a better position if we hired a successful coach from the JUCO ranks either as head coach or some kind of recruiting/portal coordinator? My reason is that JUCO coaches are used to retooling every year, and some in Mississippi are really successful at it. Our current staff is lost in just about all aspects of the game, so bringing in a seasoned Juco coach may be helpful. I know Tony Hughes has been good for us, but it may have passed him by.
Katy Perry Reaction GIF by Idols Global

Reactions: patdog

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
As someone that played JUCO football, this would be an awful idea. Different world and would be a total failure.

Reactions: patdog

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Interesting comment that Deion said is that high school kids are the big losers with the portal. He said why take a chance on a high school kid when you can recruit proven players in the portal. He said they only plan on signing like 5-7 high school players in his next class.

Another comment about the portal on talk radio was that Bama is no longer as deep with 4-5 stars at every position because they leave if they don't play. I haven't looked at numbers to see if it's true. You got to think the hard arse coaches are a little less hard arse knowing their cruits can bolt on them and pick where they can play without sitting out.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Looking at ESPN % chance to make the CFP. It appears the usual contenders aren't have having much if any problems with team continuity. It's business as usual except its legal.

A true roster churn % might help or hurt that argument....I have no idea what it looks like but I'm sure those teams had players leaving and "upgrades" transferring in.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I would think if a program has an established offensive and defensive identity they should be able to pull players from the portal that fit within that identity. Obviously as your rank in the pecking order goes down that diminishes a little, but it becomes a question of do you want to win the battle (get the best player available) or fight to win the war and take the players that best fit what you want to do.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
If we hired a juco coach.... we could truly be last chance U .... ha.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login