Thoughts on the committee…..

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
Our very own Greg McElroy opines that Texas should stay above Alabama no matter what, and that the committee would be setting a dangerous precedent if they do otherwise. I’m not going to give my opinion one way or the other because that isn’t what this post is about. Oklahoma beat Texas head to head. Oklahoma lost their first game. With both Texas and OU sitting with a 7-1 record going into the first playoff ranking, the committee ranked Texas 7 and Oklahoma 9, despite them having the same record and OU owning the H2H. The H2H didn’t seem to matter then. The precedent seems to already be set, but no one seems to want to mention it. Wonder why?

Reactions: MattUGA1

Ichabod

Aug 16, 2022
Our very own Greg McElroy opines that Texas should stay above Alabama no matter what, and that the committee would be setting a dangerous precedent if they do otherwise. I’m not going to give my opinion one way or the other because that isn’t what this post is about. Oklahoma beat Texas head to head. Oklahoma lost their first game. With both Texas and OU sitting with a 7-1 record going into the first playoff ranking, the committee ranked Texas 7 and Oklahoma 9, despite them having the same record and OU owning the H2H. The H2H didn’t seem to matter then. The precedent seems to already be set, but no one seems to want to mention it. Wonder why?
I don’t have an issue with Texas ahead of us. But they’re fading.

I have a problem with Oregon ahead of Texas and Alabama. They harped on resume when it came to Ohio st over UGA. What has Oregon done? Lost a close one to Washington?

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
I don’t have an issue with Texas ahead of us. But they’re fading.

I have a problem with Oregon ahead of Texas and Alabama. They harped on resume when it came to Ohio st over UGA. What has Oregon done? Lost a close one to Washington?
I agree about Oregon and don’t have an issue with Texas being ahead either, just pointing out the hypocrisy of the committee that “H2H has to matter” when clearly it didn’t regarding Texas and OU.

KirbAppeal

Jan 6, 2022
The issue with the ranking system being based on certain parameters is that if you rank them all by one parameter, another perameter will be contradicted. There’s no perfect way to do it, unfortunately. My best guess at what they really do is go by W/L, then eye test, then H2H.

boutime

Dec 3, 2020
Don’t see Texas fading. Do see how Oklahoma faded after beating Texas.

This weekend will tell the tale for a few of us.

Great college football still to come.

Reactions: Bigwilly64

KoreyDawg

Jan 31, 2022
Crying already lol here comes King Kirby
Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

_DC

Aug 7, 2023
ITT Gumps coming to the reality that no matter what what they’re not making the playoffs.
Refs go be on UGA side so the SEC gets that extra 25 million.

KoreyDawg

Jan 31, 2022
ITT Gumps coming to the reality that no matter what what they’re not making the playoffs.
Refs go be on UGA side so the SEC gets that extra 25 million.
That clown already making excuses lol

_DC

Aug 7, 2023
He made the excuse for me you colossal DA lol. Alabama will be in after taking care of business in Atlanta. The OP was just to point out the inconsistency.
It does suck. If Bama does beat UGA they possibly don’t get in. If UGA gets beat they’re out also. After being ranked 1st or 2nd all year long.

MattUGA1

May 1, 2023
This committee throughout it's existence has been nothing but inconsistent. I thought the BCS system with the computers was good outside of only 2 teams being in. To me personally based on eye test the top 2 teams are Bama and UGA and it isn't close.

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
It does suck. If Bama does beat UGA they possibly don’t get in. If UGA gets beat they’re out also. After being ranked 1st or 2nd all year long.
This is after last year when TCU lost on conference championship weekend and didn’t move a single spot. So inconsistent year to year and even within the year as shown by the example in the OP.

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
This committee throughout it's existence has been nothing but inconsistent. I thought the BCS system with the computers was good outside of only 2 teams being in. To me personally based on eye test the top 2 teams are Bama and UGA and it isn't close.
Me too. I wonder why the need to replace the BCS formula? They could have expanded to 4 teams but still let the BCS formula determine the 4. Would have been much better than this inconsistent garbage.

Bigwilly64

Apr 28, 2023
One loss SEC champ should get an auto bid every year imo iyam
I agree. Until the SEC Champ actually goes through periods where they aren’t the best team at least. How many times does the B10 champ have to get sh*t on before they stop getting the “benefit of the doubt”? The only season that you could really say the SEC Champ underperformed was the 1st year, 2014. And to be honest, that was likely Saban’s worst Alabama team from top to bottom.

Reactions: Chuck Nasty

Chuck Nasty

Aug 20, 2021
I agree. Until the SEC Champ actually goes through periods where they aren’t the best team at least. How many times does the B10 champ have to get sh*t on before they stop getting the “benefit of the doubt”? The only season that you could really say the SEC Champ underperformed was the 1st year, 2014. And to be honest, that was likely Saban’s worst Alabama team from top to bottom.
Exactly, the odds of one not being one of the best 4 teams, which is the stated goal, is miniscule

_DC

Aug 7, 2023
Exactly, the odds of one not being one of the best 4 teams, which is the stated goal, is miniscule
I think the committee or whoever makes decisions wants it to be this way this year. That way they can better justify going to a 12 team playoff. Just in case the 12 team playoff is a big disappointment.

Tuamuchspeed

Jul 15, 2022
CFP records by conference:
  • ACC: 6-5
  • B1G: 3-6 and shutout twice
  • BIG12: 1-5
  • PAC: 1-2
  • SEC: 16-5
Two of the 5 losses for the SEC teams are to other SEC teams.

Yeah, I think we deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login