Thoughts on the Cunningham, Rosie vs Johnson spat on Bounds?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Rosey insists he has the scoop and has no reason to doubt that Cunningham is MSU bound but is not going to crystal ball it at this time.

Johnson then comes on and says that Cunningham told him directly that he can’t remember the last time MSU sent a receiver to the league and that Ole Miss as a program is in much better position. He’s not saying that Cunningham is going to Ole Miss but has crystal balled Cunningham to Ole Miss. 😂😂

Good grief, what a crap show this will be for the next 6 months.

Johnson did give off a vibe of Ole Miss being king sh it and MSU being the much more inferior program. Can’t wait to watch them fail.

paco.sixpack

Aug 12, 2013
Rosey insists he has the scoop and has no reason to doubt that Cunningham is MSU bound but is not going to crystal ball it at this time.

Johnson then comes on and says that Cunningham told him directly that he can’t remember the last time MSU sent a receiver to the league and that Ole Miss as a program is in much better position. He’s not saying that Cunningham is going to Ole Miss but has crystal balled Cunningham to Ole Miss. 😂😂

Johnson did give off a vibe of Ole Miss being king sh it and MSU being the much more inferior program. Can’t wait to watch them fail.

When evaluating recruiting I rely on Phil Steele. I do so because Phil’s method incorporates seven services and averages individual rankings. Regional and school bias are minimized.

I consider David Johnson to be a reputable source pertaining to recruiting. However, his attempt to sell me on why he CB’d Cunningham to Ole Miss is rather shallow. Regardless, his claims inspired me to get a clear picture of Lane Kiffin’s recruiting history to WR’s.

The following is a list of all high school and JC wide receivers that Kif has signed as a head coach. My method recognizes a ‘Blue Chip’ WR that is ranked in the top 20 at that position. A JC player, (noted by *) regardless of position, must be in the top twenty-two players to be considered ‘Blue Chip”. Here goes….

School Year Rank Name
USC 2010 1. Kyle Proctor
2 Robert Woods – Excellent NFL career
6. Markeith Ambles
2011 1 George Farmer
10 Marquis Lee – NFL career
11 Victor Blackwell
2012 3 Nelson Agholor – Excellent NFL career
22. Derrius Rogers
2013 10 Steven Mitchell

Ole Miss 2020 39 Marc Britt
2021 30 Bralon Brown
78 Brandon Buckhalter
31* Qua Davis
108 JJ Harvey
2022 63 Larry Simmons
68 Jeremiah Dillon
2023 17 Ayden Williams
73 Cayden Lee

Conclusions:

USC – Kiffin signed:
  • 4 first team All-American WR’s
  • total of 8 Blue Chip WR’s
  • Of those signees, Woods, Agholor and Lee have made significant contributions in NFL
  • Of the two #1 rated WR’s coming out of high school, Farmer had some playing time while Proctor was never a factor.
Ole Miss – Kiffin has signed one Blue Chipper. No WR that Kiffin has recruited at Ole Miss has had any measure of success.

Kiffin - Sometimes perception and reality are two different things. From Kiffin’s recruiting record, he has not developed an NFL’er since 2012. At Ole Miss, he has signed one Blue Chipper (A. WIlliams in four classes.

Notes:
a. Since Kiffin’s arrival at Ole Miss, MSU signed one NFL WR (Malik Heath (Packers)). A potential NFL WR signed by MSU is RaRa Thomas. The fact is, MSU has one NFL WR and Kiffin has none since arriving in Oxford.
b. Ole Miss has never won in football without paying players.

Point #2
David Johnson stated that Cunningham may not be leaning anywhere at this time. I agree with his thought for the most part. However, Johnson Cb’d Cunningham to Ole Miss while admitting that the player is undecided? On the other side of the coin, Cunningham is well familiar with MSU campus and has close relationships with a few current players. Since Robertson has not CB’d Cunningham, isn’t it logical to think that Johnson is being a ‘homer’, again?

Point #3
In keeping with the Ole Miss narrative that they have never lost a recruit (they “move on”), am I to believe that Kiffen “moved on” from JJ Harrell because he didn’t want Harrell? I LOL’ed when Johnson said Kif moved on.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
The mindset of he will go to ole miss just because they have historically out receivers in the league is dumb.
David needs to be asked, if that’s the case should ole miss ever get a DL that state wants?

Reactions: TNDawg1

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Jimmy Fallon Waiting GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

And anything with Bo Bounds AND Rosie in it is immediately flushed

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

Johnson’s argument is that of person who has NO inside knowledge. The argument could have been and has been made by random OM message board posters. Going to OM may be what logical, rational outsider would do, not a 17 y/o kid who grew up within a stones throw of Starkville and may very well have dreamed of playing for the Dogs. It’s not as if State will have a much different of an offense than OM. Add to it that Lebby is an actual cool guy and not some on-the-spectrum introvert who pretends to be outgoing because that’s his job.

And of course, Bo sits there and lets DJ trash State without saying a word.

Last edited:
Reactions: RockyDog and Dawg84

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I stoped listening to OOB and 105.9 when our 2023 football season went in the tank. I've never listened to Chuck Oliver, he is terrible and Matt is a little too hokey. I do miss Jake Whim though. I started listening to Clay Edwards when he's on a local subject, if he get's into a national subject, I listen to a podcast.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Good lord! Who gives a sh*t? I get that he's supposed to be a big recruit, but I just can't get worked up over any one recruit. Especially now when he's going to get re-recruited every 6 months. I mean, I guess I hope we sign this guy, but who cares?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Good lord! Who gives a sh*t? I get that he's supposed to be a big recruit, but I just can't get worked up over any one recruit. Especially now when he's going to get re-recruited every 6 months. I mean, I guess I hope we sign this guy, but who cares?
Well said. It’d be great if he plays here for his freshmen season. If he’s anywhere close to as good as advertised, that will be the only season he’s here. If he isn’t, who cares what happens?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Yea. Let’s just not care about a 5 star top 10 national croot who lives within 50 miles of campus. By darn we gon do it the MSyewwww way. Yeeehaw. We gon take all dem two starz and coach em up right boys!!

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yea. Let’s just not care about a 5 star top 10 national croot who lives within 50 miles of campus. By darn we gon do it the MSyewwww way. Yeeehaw. We gon take all dem two starz and coach em up right boys!!
How much do I / we need to care for him to play at MSU for 3 years?

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
He will go wherever he goes and more likely than not none of us will remember his name 4 years or less from now. I hope he goes where he wants to go and doesn’t let someone sell him a bill of goods.

Reactions: patdog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Add to it that Lebby is an actual cool guy and not some on-the-spectrum introvert who pretends to be outgoing because that’s his job.

So you lift weights in the gym with Lebby? **

Seriously though, look at the last few coaches to win the National championship:

Do you seriously think that this man is cool?

Celebrate Ncaa Football GIF by Clemson Tigers

Or this one?

College Football Championship GIF by ESPN

I’d include a gif of UGA’s coach but his name is so forgettable that he has to be least coolest coach of them all.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Cook

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
If we don’t get some damn offensive linemen… it ain’t gonna matter.

And can we not just say 17 that media embarrment? Y’all need to watch him when recruits show up at the facility with their parents… Seriously embarrassing…. He makes David Murray look like a Million dollars. Let’s at least tackle his weird *** and cut that mop on his head…

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022

1. Good job by Bo of manufacturing drama in the off season. I am sure this kid, just on his recruitment alone, will manufacture enough drama in due time, however Bo got the ball rolling early Kudos to him..

2. I didn't get that Cunningham said OM was in a better position. Now Johnson did attribute to Cunningham, "Mississippi State has not sent a receiver to the NFL". However, Johnson, as you said in your last sentence, is back to him old self.....taking shots at MSU and being an elitist. WHile the State representative is respectful to OM.

3. Crap show? Yep. I hope the Bama and LSU offers are real. Although I don't care for Johnson, as arrogant as he is, I don't feel good about State's chances on any high profile recruit with three offering as well.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
So you lift weights in the gym with Lebby? **

Seriously though, look at the last few coaches to win the National championship:

Do you seriously think that this man is cool?

Celebrate Ncaa Football GIF by Clemson Tigers

Or this one?

College Football Championship GIF by ESPN

I’d include a gif of UGA’s coach but his name is so forgettable that he has to be least coolest coach of them all.
Honestly I have no idea. I've just heard stories that Kiffin is a pretty awkward dude in person.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
He will go wherever he goes and more likely than not none of us will remember his name 4 years or less from now. I hope he goes where he wants to go and doesn’t let someone sell him a bill of goods.
You're joking, right? Stars matter. If you don't believe it, look at the percentage of 5 stars drafted every year. Considering State hasn't had a WR drafted in forever, a kid who grew up in your backyard and can help you immediately is high, high priority.

Reactions: RockyDog

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
There's those of us that aren't going to wonder every day for the next 6 month during this "crap show" what this teenager is going to do next year, the amount of lead in our pencil isn't influenced by young boys w/ a few hairs on their chin. I have no idea who Cunningham even is and hope to keep it that way until the week before his first game assuming he signs here. I have no influence over him whatsoever so why should myself and the other 8 who have "liked" patdog's post (only 2 have "liked" yours) worry about it?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
There's those of us that aren't going to wonder every day for the next 6 month during this "crap show" what this teenager is going to do next year, the amount of lead in our pencil isn't influenced by young boys w/ a few hairs on their chin. I have no idea who Cunningham even is and hope to keep it that way until the week before his first game assuming he signs here. I have no influence over him whatsoever so why should myself and the other 8 who have "liked" patdog's post (only 2 have "liked" yours) worry about it?
Caleb Cunningham is a 5 star recruit who is currently ranked as the 3rd best WR in country. He lives nearby in Ackerman and has been recruited by Mississippi State for years now.

1710348594228.png

But, by all means, continue to pretend you don't know who he is. The "I don't even care about recruiting" replies on every recruiting post here is one of my favorite things about this message board.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Caleb Cunningham is a 5 star recruit who is currently ranked as the 3rd best WR in country. He lives nearby in Ackerman and has been recruited by Mississippi State for years now.

View attachment 540356

But, by all means, continue to pretend you don't know who he is. The "I don't even care about recruiting" replies on every recruiting post here is one of my favorite things about this message board.
There is absolutely no pretending, you could offer me a MILLION BUCKS for each recruits name and I couldn't name even one. Why would I care at this point, I don't talk to these guys or even want to? Its a huge pile of rumors, drama, hat dropping or as RockyDog even referred to it, a "crap show". I'll wait till signing day or even better right before their first start is announced before I have any interest whatsoever. Don't know why that's hard to accept

patdog

May 28, 2007

View attachment 540356

Hard as it may be for you to believe, a lot of us really just don’t care & had never heard of him until his name showed up on this board a week or so ago. I just now found out he’s from Ackerman. As I posted earlier, I hope we sign him. Wake me up when we do.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Simple compartmentalization.

Besides… the way NIL & the Portal work now and all these names and people who show up on the radar, it’s easier to not worry about names.

My first thought when I saw the name Caleb Cunningham on this board was “Is he related to Richie?”

I understand now why Jackie always called players by their numbers.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Hard as it may be for you to believe, a lot of us really just don’t care & had never heard of him until his name showed up on this board a week or so ago. I just now found out he’s from Ackerman. As I posted earlier, I hope we sign him. Wake me up when we do.
And some of us don’t care about intramural sports. So this is the other football season and there IS stuff to talk about whether YOU follow it or not. Move along if you don’t care. Go talk Lemons and whine about sports that don’t matter in other threads.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And some of us don’t care about intramural sports. So this is the other football season and there IS stuff to talk about whether YOU follow it or not. Move along if you don’t care. Go talk Lemons and whine about sports that don’t matter in other threads.
This isn't football. It's a soap opera.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

You say that but ironically football hasn’t mattered at MSU since 2014. **

(I debated not using sarcasterisks but football is the economic driver of the athletics department so at the very least it matters financially.)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login