Thoughts on this round of conference realignment.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Did Arizona St screw the pooch on this? If the Big 10 doesn’t take Stanford, I can see a scenario where the Big 12 adds Stanford and Utah and says we’re done at 16 teams. Or would that be 18? Damn. I’m losing count. Or maybe Stanford goes independent. Cal may get screwed here too if the Big 10 doesn’t take them with Stanford.

I don’t see the SEC doing anything unless the ACC targets can somehow get out of their grant of rights and copyright agreements.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Right now, I'm looking at something like Mountain West Conf., or other.

Think I would wait and consider options if I was in their place.
I'm sure they know the landscape, or should.

Reactions: patdog

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Did Arizona St screw the pooch on this? If the Big 10 doesn’t take Stanford, I can see a scenario where the Big 12 adds Stanford and Utah and says we’re done at 16 teams. Or would that be 18? Damn. I’m losing count. Or maybe Stanford goes independent. Cal may get screwed here too if the Big 10 doesn’t take them with Stanford.

I don’t see the SEC doing anything unless the ACC targets can somehow get out of their grant of rights and copyright agreements.
Seems like Arizona State, along with Arizona, Colorado, and Utah did great. Last report I heard was that the Four Corners schools will get full shares in the Big 12, meaning $31.5 million per year.

For comparison, Oregon and Washington are getting reduced payouts from the B1G, at $30 million per year.

The Big 12 commissioner should get some kind of award.

catvet

May 11, 2009
I hate that college sports are becoming a farm team of pro sports. It's no longer about regionality and tradition, it's all about money. Yea the Georgia's, Ohio States and Bamas of the world won't see much difference, but the Washington State and Oregon States will. And that's not only terrible for college sports, it's tragic. My interest declines every year.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I hate that college sports are becoming a farm team of pro sports. It's no longer about regionality and tradition, it's all about money. Yea the Georgia's, Ohio States and Bamas of the world won't see much difference, but the Washington State and Oregon States will. And that's not only terrible for college sports, it's tragic. My interest declines every year.
It’s terrible for Oregon State and Washington State. It’s terrible for Cal (even though I don’t feel that bad for Cal). But the biggest loser of all might be Stanford. Almost overnight those schools have become Southern Miss, Tulane, Memphis, East Carolina, etc.

I do think that the college football money bubble will burst someday. Maybe then sanity will be restored and the game will return to the regional roots that made it great.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It’s terrible for Oregon State and Washington State. It’s terrible for Cal (even though I don’t feel that bad for Cal). But the biggest loser of all might be Stanford. Almost overnight those schools have become Southern Miss, Tulane, Memphis, East Carolina, etc.

I do think that the college football money bubble will burst someday. Maybe then sanity will be restored and the game will return to the regional roots that made it great.
I’ve said numerous times that I’m not worried about Stanford. They’ll find an answer.

I mentioned that they have money.

Well, CFB Twitter has noticed and are crafting a good fantasy…

Stanford buying Fox so they get in the B1G made me laugh…

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

Terrible for those left. Cal and Stanford could make the Big 10, they have the academics that the big 10 wants.

The SEC should ask OkST and Kansas is they want to join. Both traditional rivals of SEC teams.

The Major SEC play is to reach out and tell the ACC teams we want that they can come on over....

Is the transfer portal closed? Can we raid the Cal, Stanford, OSU ,and WSU baseball?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
TERRIBLE for college sports!
Started with SEC adding Ark and SCarolina.
Gotten progressively worse since
NIL, transfer portal, all this BS super conferences.
I didn’t get Arkansas at the time, but they were pretty solid in the SWC…. they’ve proved to be a solid addition.

SCAR never made an ounce of sense to me, though. We helped them out, because they were nothing. Hell, they’re still nothing outside of Don Staley’s guys. It’s a garbage institution. They must have paid a ton to join.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Terrible for those left. Cal and Stanford could make the Big 10, they have the academics that the big 10 wants.

The SEC should ask OkST and Kansas is they want to join. Both traditional rivals of SEC teams.

The Major SEC play is to reach out and tell the ACC teams we want that they can come on over....

Is the transfer portal closed? Can we raid the Cal, Stanford, OSU ,and WSU baseball?
Kansas. SEC. No. Hell no.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

ASU is getting in the Big12. Y'all can move on from them. They and Utah have already applied and AZ wants them with them.

Reactions: Dawgg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
In some legitimate scenarios, they're in play for the SEC because basketball and football cannon fodder. And the Missouri rivalry. Don't let yourself be surprised when it happens.
They make the most sense in the west to expand...

Reactions: Dawgpile

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
SEC isn't going out west for any team. They want UNC, maybe UVA, Miami. Obviously ND is the big name out there too.

Reactions: patdog

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
SEC isn't going out west for any team. They want UNC, maybe UVA, Miami. Obviously ND is the big name out there too.
To go east, the ACC has to get out of that Grant of rights.

And even with every reasonable ACC team added, you get to 22. 24 makes more sense.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
I don't disagree that the next expansion should be East. I'm just saying that Kansas is a part of some 'who to add' musings if the ACC falls. Depends on how many members the conference is willing to carry. Valuing BkB schools is important when the P2 split the tournament away from the NCAA.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t know why the big 12 wouldn’t just go ahead and Washington state and Oregon state. Maybe even cal and or Stanford. Big 12 is a decent conference with what they added but there is no big time power in that conference. Feels like those names would fit in

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'm just glad we were a charter member of one of the two conferences that are absolutely going to survive. We are good till the biggest 20 split off to form the NFL equivalent of Triple A baseball.

Reactions: drumrcraig

catvet

May 11, 2009
I don’t know why the big 12 wouldn’t just go ahead and Washington state and Oregon state. Maybe even cal and or Stanford. Big 12 is a decent conference with what they added but there is no big time power in that conference. Feels like those names would fit in
The Big 12 panicked when UT and OU left. They took in teams out of their geographic footprint and are stuck with Cincinnati, Houston and Central Florida. I'm betting they are regretting that now

Reactions: Maroon13

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Fox has to agree to pay for them.

My theory is Fox won’t pay up because ESPN has a portion of the Big 12 media rights and Fox is keeping ESPN entirely off the West Coast.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
The Big 12 panicked when UT and OU left. They took in teams out of their geographic footprint and are stuck with Cincinnati, Houston and Central Florida. I'm betting they are regretting that now
The G5 adds to stabilize the B12 were ESPN/Fox directives. Dipping out of the rights negotiations on the PAC they (ESPN/Fox) knew some schools would shake loose, but I think they didn't predict the whole conference going down this quickly. The B12 and ACC will eventually become dumping ground for major schools who don't draw eyeballs. State is top-40 last year on the eyeball meter. Hope it's enough.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I bet they’re not. Adding those AAC schools plus BYU stabilized their conference and that stability allowed them to jump ahead of the Pac-12 in media rights negotiations.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
I'm just glad we were a charter member of one of the two conferences that are absolutely going to survive. We are good till the biggest 20 split off to form the NFL equivalent of Triple A baseball.
Ding ding ding. That’s where all of this will eventually end up. Been saying it for years and been told no way. The big fan base big money teams will break away at some point. It’s all about dollars and eyeballs on the set. From coast to coast there are only about 30 teams that fit that bill.

Off the top of my head. Add in one I miss.
Bama Uga Lsu fla tenn A&M auburn from the current sec

Tex ok from the southwest

s cal Washington ucla Oregon from the west coast

Penn st Michigan osu Nebraska mich st Wisconsin Iowa(I guess) Notre Dame from the Slavic part of the nation

Clemson fsu and that’s about it.

I’m sure there’s one or two more I over looked. That’s 25 at most.

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Well, CFB Twitter has noticed and are crafting a good fantasy…

Stanford buying Fox so they get in the B1G made me laugh…

Now this is what I'm talking about. I want to see some Waystsr - Logan Roy type take overs.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Big10 comes for Tennessee or Kentucky basketball.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
To go east, the ACC has to get out of that Grant of rights.

And even with every reasonable ACC team added, you get to 22. 24 makes more sense.
I think 20 is the magic number if you go super conference. 2 divisions - 9 conference games per year playing all teams in your division. Conference championship games are 1st round of playoffs/ bowl games.

With 3 super conferences (P3), conference championship games would make up 6 of the 12 playoff teams. The other 6 would be at large coming from from champions of smaller conferences and a few from P3.

I'd rather just leave it all alone but that's not gonna happen

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I didn’t get Arkansas at the time, but they were pretty solid in the SWC…. they’ve proved to be a solid addition.

SCAR never made an ounce of sense to me, though. We helped them out, because they were nothing. Hell, they’re still nothing outside of Don Staley’s guys. It’s a garbage institution. They must have paid a ton to join.
USC was the SEC's safety school. The whole purpose of expanding back then was to get to 12 so they could have a championship game. FSU and Miami turned the SEC down, so USC was all that was available.

Arkansas should have been in the SEC all along. Never made sense for them to be the only non Texas school in the SWC.

Reactions: patdog and eckie1

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Fox has to agree to pay for them.

My theory is Fox won’t pay up because ESPN has a portion of the Big 12 media rights and Fox is keeping ESPN entirely off the West Coast.
Maybe ESPN can come up with something for the mountain west. Im not sure how much Cal and Stanford really care about athletics. But Stanford feels like they could be independent if they want.

I just feel like Oregon state and Washington state fit in with what is now the big 12. That conference is now 100% former mid major teams in large metros or scrappy mid tier teams in power 5 conferences. If they were to join the big 12, you could make a case Oregon state may be one of the better complete athletic departments in that conference.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I’m looking at Oregon St and Wazzu and thinking that could be us sooner than we’d like to admit. People will say “charter member” but if conference realignment has taught us anything it’s that these presidents are very good at getting out of what seemed like airtight obligations.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I’m looking at Oregon St and Wazzu and thinking that could be us sooner than we’d like to admit. People will say “charter member” but if conference realignment has taught us anything it’s that these presidents are very good at getting out of what seemed like airtight obligations.
The difference in money between the Power 2 and everyone else will create a huge gap over the next decade. Facilities and recruiting should become drastically different. I think we make the top 32 teams if that is the cut whenever this thing goes next level. We just need that elevation to be no earlier than the time of the next media contracts. With network money so tight, I think we are safe.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I think 20 is the magic number if you go super conference. 2 divisions - 9 conference games per year playing all teams in your division. Conference championship games are 1st round of playoffs/ bowl games.

With 3 super conferences (P3), conference championship games would make up 6 of the 12 playoff teams. The other 6 would be at large coming from from champions of smaller conferences and a few from P3.

Limited to 20, the ACC doesn't break up and this stays pat until 2036. I don't think that happens.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Charter member means nothing. It never has, despite the old rumor. But there is ZERO interest from anyone in the SEC in kicking anyone out. That will never happen. Even if the top 30 schools nationwide were to break away (and there’s zero indication that is or will even be considered), we’d still be in a pretty good SEC.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Divisions are dead. In your scenario, you’d effectively have two separate leagues. Whether 16, 18, 20, or more, it’s gonna be permanent plus rotating opponents with top two playing in the championship game.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
@catvet for the loss

That move basically ensured their survival. Not sure if you've noticed, but PAC teams are now begging for Big 12 invites

Just an incredibly stupid take

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Divisions are dead. In your scenario, you’d effectively have two separate leagues. Whether 16, 18, 20, or more, it’s gonna be permanent plus rotating opponents with top two playing in the championship game.
Yes, I see the Big10 and SEC getting so many members that they both have no choice but to play conference opponents only. Maybe one or two OCC cupcakes vs anyone but the other.

Then way way down the road, the sec and Big10 will be competing to take the others tv contract and therefore have enough money to buy the others top teams.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
The suits are playing a very dangerous game. College football viewership and interest is based on fans of everyone across the country being invested and having a stake in the system. I’m a Mississippi State fan. I’m only a college football fan BECAUSE I’m a Mississippi State Football fan. The second Mississippi State loses its association as being in the same system as LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc…..then I’m all out on tuning into those games. Sure they can afford to lose Mississippi State fans. But can they afford to lose Mississippi State, Oregon State, Arkansas, BYU, Virginia Tech, and on and on and on, and make their financial models work long term? I have serious doubts they have really thought this all through.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I don’t think anyone who bolted to the Big 12 made a bad decision per sé, but the important thing to remember is that none of them are going to be married to them for the long haul. Big 12 appears to be in much better shape over the short term, but that can always change if the SEC or B1G decide to go bigger. They are still only pulling $30 mill per year even now, which is on par with the terrible ACC deal that everyone is trying to get out of.

So, SEC and B1G still have all those Big 12 schools available as gap fillers whenever the need arises.

Cal and Stanford, who knows? I can see them being fine if they just persuade OSU / WSU and some MWC teams to form together for a PAC-XX 2.0, under the condition that they get a larger stake in TV revenue like OU and TX had in the Big 12. That will keep them afloat for the time being. Question is, does the Big 12 want them, and would they be interested? Any more fleeting B1G interest? I think they still have at least some options.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login