Thunder & Lightning: Can Dak Prescott Win the NFL MVP?

Brian Hadad

Oct 1, 2023
Dak Prescott just finished up a tremendous season, leading Dallas to an NFC East title and putting up huge numbers. Will it be enough to bring home the honors of the league’s Most Valuable Player? Brian Hadad and Robbie Faulk talk Mississippi State in the NFL, then switch to recruiting, as the Bulldogs finally bring in another defensive player.

The post Thunder & Lightning: Can Dak Prescott Win the NFL MVP? appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
If it were given out solely on individual stats then he would, but Lamar will win it because Baltimore throttled the good teams this year (SF, Lions, Dolphins). If Dallas had managed to beat Miami and not lay a giant egg against Buffalo then Dak would have a much better claim.

Reactions: kired and patdog

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
If it were given out solely on individual stats then he would, but Lamar will win it because Baltimore throttled the good teams this year (SF, Lions, Dolphins). If Dallas had managed to beat Miami and not lay a giant egg against Buffalo then Dak would have a much better claim.
Yep, he didn't play well enough in the big games.

Now, as a Dallas and Dak fan I do believe BALT is a superior team. What would it look like if they switched teams?

Reactions: patdog

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah it’s the big game thing. Specifically what happened in December. The Buffalo game really hurt Dak, all the while Lamar was crushing the Niners and Dolphins who Dallas lost to.

Also maybe a small piece of it but I wonder if there are some who think CeeDee Lamb was the real driving force for the Cowboys rather than Dak. He had a monster year and it definitely helped Dak. Could also say that Dak helped elevate CeeDee too, though.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

Now, as a Dallas and Dak fan I do believe BALT is a superior team. What would it look like if they switched teams?
You simply can’t say Dak didn’t play well enough in big games. The games Dallas lost were pretty much a total team implosion.

Outside of Dak stepping out on that 2-point conversion against Philly, there’s no way to even argue that. And, even that was due to mitigating circumstances. That never should have been a game.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

Forget teams, just switch coaches

Reactions: HRMSU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
You simply can’t say Dak didn’t play well enough in big games. The games Dallas lost were pretty much a total team implosion.

Outside of Dak stepping out on that 2-point conversion against Philly, there’s no way to even argue that. And, even that was due to mitigating circumstances. That never should have been a game.
I'm a Dak fan not hater. I was a Romo fan as well. Like all good Cowboys QBs he's getting the 50/50 fan base treatment until he wins a SB.

Now out of the 5 losses here are Dak’s QBR and Rating:

Cards: 31.2 and 78
Niners: 44.2 and 51.6
Eagles: 66 and 115.2
Bills: 39.6 and 57.7
Dolphins: 54 and 107.9

So, 2 out of the 5 losses he played really good and one of those two he steps out of bounds or we win. I can throw away the AZ game but the Niners and Bills games were atrocious.

Sometimes it's like he just sees ghosts when he pumps and pulls it down and then you watch the replay and the guys open. He even said after the Bills game that they were confusing him with their D. He's a few wins away from changing the narrative and one thing I know is that he won't be out worked or out prepared.

Ddawg69

Dec 27, 2019
Lamar sealed it when he beat the Niners.
The thing that no one acknowledges is that Baltimore's D forced FIVE turnovers in that game. Lamar played good, but it was not even close to some feather in the cap MVP performance.

Baltimore's defense has only given up 26 TDs in 17 games. Folks are making it out to be Lamar literally carrying the team.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The thing that no one acknowledges is that Baltimore's D forced FIVE turnovers in that game. Lamar played good, but it was not even close to some feather in the cap MVP performance.

Baltimore's defense has only given up 26 TDs in 17 games. Folks are making it out to be Lamar literally carrying the team.
He played a great game. Threw 2 tds and no picks. Was also their leading rusher. And the Niners defense is also one of the best defenses in the league. He deserves credit.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He played a great game. Threw 2 tds and no picks. Was also their leading rusher. And the Niners defense is also one of the best defenses in the league. He deserves credit.
Baltimore has to score to win no matter how well the defense plays. Their defense was excellent this year, but Lamar kept things going on the ground and through the air so they would win those big games. They may not have had the same numbers back, but he did just enough to win those games against San Francisco and Miami.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I admire Hadad’s prediction, but Lamar is a huge favorite. Agree with others, December wrapped it up for Jackson.

BTW, I have preseason NFL tickets on: Justin Jefferson, Bijon, Ja’Marr Chase, Herbert, Fields, Trevor Lawrence and Nick Chubb. Not loving my chances*

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Precisely. Baltimore’s D carried them all season.

Nobody that finishes 4th in QBR in a year where 1/3rd of the league had lost its franchise QB for the season should be MVP. Just compare Lamar’s stats against his last MVP season….they are nowhere in the same ballpark. Give it to Dak, Purdy, or McCaffrey.

Ddawg69

Dec 27, 2019
He did play well. But their 3 TD drives were 9, 44, and 53 yards. Baltimore was ultimately outgained by almost 100 yard. I know QB gets credit but I'm just trying to weigh the "most valuable" portion. The defense won them that game, even overcame the Lamar safety early on.

At the end of the day, Dak didn't do enough in some big games and that's reality. Lamar will win it, but it will be the weakest MVP win in a long time.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I absolutely do not think Lamar should win it. His defense did a ton of the heavy lifting this year, and he himself was good to very good, but not MVP level. His MVP candidacy rests solely on the fact he threw for 252/2 and they walloped SF, and then he threw 321/5 against Miami to end the season. But look at the entire season - he threw for zero TD's in FIVE different games this year. And for all the "He's the greatest running QB in the game" talk - he has 5 rushing TDs this year, and 4 of them happened in two games way back in Weeks 3/4. Lamar is good and he's been an MVP before, but he's not the MVP this year in any way shape or form. But he'll win because most voters give it to whoever is the QB on the best team at the end of the year.

If I had a vote I'd probably give it to CMC, but an RB won't win it probably ever again.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I absolutely do not think Lamar should win it. His defense did a ton of the heavy lifting this year, and he himself was good to very good, but not MVP level. His MVP candidacy rests solely on the fact he threw for 252/2 and they walloped SF, and then he threw 321/5 against Miami to end the season. But look at the entire season - he threw for zero TD's in FIVE different games this year. And for all the "He's the greatest running QB in the game" talk - he has 5 rushing TDs this year, and 4 of them happened in two games way back in Weeks 3/4. Lamar is good and he's been an MVP before, but he's not the MVP this year in any way shape or form. But he'll win because most voters give it to whoever is the QB on the best team at the end of the year.

If I had a vote I'd probably give it to CMC, but an RB won't win it probably ever again.
Well said. I think it should be CMC. If I’m being honest, he deserves it over Dak, too.

Its just been a down year for QB’s overall, both with injuries and production. If ever there was a year for a non-QB MVP, this is it.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Well said. I think it should be CMC. If I’m being honest, he deserves it over Dak, too.

Its just been a down year for QB’s overall, both with injuries and production. If ever there was a year for a non-QB MVP, this is it.
It should be CMC, Dak, and Purdy as the front runners but Jackson is going to win it. He did the most at the end of the season and is on arguably the best team. It just comes with the territory now. It’s like the Heisman trophy. It’s a popularity contest and what you do at the end sways people’s votes.

I’m with you that CMC should win.

Reactions: NukeDogg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login