Thunder & Lightning: Mississippi State is Still Seeking Momentum on the Recruiting Trail

Brian Hadad

Oct 1, 2023
Mississippi State’s summer saw some flashes where recruiting was moving in the right direction, but as the summer ends and camp begins, the Bulldogs are missing some key pieces to the class of 2025. Brian Hadad and Robbie Faulk discuss why State seems to have stalled out on the recruiting trail, and why the university seems to avoid creating excitement about recruiting for its fans.

The post Thunder & Lightning: Mississippi State is Still Seeking Momentum on the Recruiting Trail appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Soooo....like, did or did you not say Caleb wanted his visit kept like quiet ? Like didn't want everyone to know ? And like then said like that they should have like ignored his wishes and like spread the news like all over social media ? All these kids know the minute they commit to State they lose a star. All the swag and hype. They fall off the radar everywhere except OM cause we all know they would crawl over a pile of virgins to 17 us out a commit regardless of who it is.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Media request from T&L staff...

the blacklist eyebrows GIF by NBC

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Soooo....like, did or did you not say Caleb wanted his visit kept like quiet ? Like didn't want everyone to know ? And like then said like that they should have like ignored his wishes and like spread the news like all over social media ? All these kids know the minute they commit to State they lose a star. All the swag and hype. They fall off the radar everywhere except OM cause we all know they would crawl over a pile of virgins to 17 us out a commit regardless of who it is.
I think the point remains that Mississippi State does a crappy job of promoting the football program, the facilities, the 2nd oldest on campus stadium in the country, the academic assistance programs for the student athletes, the COEDs! The Pony! Oktibbeha County Lake, the Cotton District, the Urban life that Starkville and West Point and Ackerman provide, the amazing growth of industry and manufacturing and wealth of entertainment provided all around the city and the golden triangle.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
The pony? Really? That’s your take of what’s good about Starkville? Sorry, I am not a Hugh Freeze type supporter myself. Sure, young men do have things they desire but I am not in the business of providing it.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I think the point remains that Mississippi State does a crappy job of promoting the football program, the facilities, the 2nd oldest on campus stadium in the country, the academic assistance programs for the student athletes, the COEDs! The Pony! Oktibbeha County Lake, the Cotton District, the Urban life that Starkville and West Point and Ackerman provide, the amazing growth of industry and manufacturing and wealth of entertainment provided all around the city and the golden triangle.
Mississippi State does a crappy job of Marketing in general, not just football .

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
If Caleb Cunningham wants to come to campus for events and wants it kept on the downtown I think that's what any coach with multiple brain cells would do. Or honestly most any coveted player. If he committed to State today he would be a 4 star before Christmas for sure. Hard to blame the players when the bias is so obvious. We have to back door these guys which is a damn shame but still the truth

Reactions: Anon1704414204

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
The pony? Really? That’s your take of what’s good about Starkville? Sorry, I am not a Hugh Freeze type supporter myself. Sure, young men do have things they desire but I am not in the business of providing it.
Lighten Up.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Well I listened to them for the first time in over a year probably/..... think I'll skip another year. what a depressing issue.

Also These two guys think they are know it all and be all of Mississippi State. Both just need to move on.

Reactions: 85Bears

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I think the point remains that Mississippi State does a crappy job of promoting the football program, the facilities,
... Mississippi State AD is working with a very small and lethargic fan base. If there isn't much joy in Mudville it is because State fans stop believing.

There is more media put out than ever before. There is more access than ever before. You can find merch just about anywhere in the southeast. However any time I run Into a msu alumni, it is always "I ain't been there since I graduated 20 years ago". State fans themselves need to come to campus. They need to talk up starkville Shop Starkville. Etc etc.

Because most of the locals down there are Bama fans because you have the huge monster in Tuscaloosa.

Which speaking of the kid committing to Bama.... that's the way it has always always been. It really has little to do with how the current staff handles a recruits visit.

Faulk mentions State being most recruits back up option. That is all because of historical success. Also mixed with the current success of Alabama and OM with Kiffen. OM has a huge amount of momentum with Kiffen. He needs to go too. Also State just needs to simply win more and win big to change the public perception. A cute marketing team can only do so
Much. You have to win at some point.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login