Thunder & Lightning: What Early Grade Has Blake Shapen Earned?

Brian Hadad

Oct 1, 2023
Aug 3, 2011
K J Costello part deaux
That is kind of laughable at this point. KJ Costello couldn’t handle zone defense in game 2. Shapen has only really made one mistake of trying to not take a sack. His decision making and throwing has been pretty on point. If the offensive line can get any push in the run game, we will be very good offensively. That’s a very big IF with what we have seen from this point.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Costello, for one game, was the greatest QB Miss State has ever had. Shapen has had one good game so far. He might have 9 great games this year but that is yet to see. Did he hang 628 yards on EKU ? No. ASU ? No. Combined ? Lol

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
He is quite possibly the only thing keeping us from going 2-10 this year. Anything lower than a B I think is being disingenuous. The guy has been running for his life and has no run game whatsoever to help him. Yeah the fumble was bad but it’s only caused by, yet again, poor OL play that couldn’t protect him on third and eternity. He’s 12th nationally in QB rating thru two games and hasn’t thrown a pick yet.

Reactions: NTDawg

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
C is about the best I can do. I don't recall the last time we had a QB here that did have a run game to support him. Or a decent OL. Dak maybe ? Fitz was his own run game.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Costello, for one game, was the greatest QB Miss State has ever had. Shapen has had one good game so far. He might have 9 great games this year but that is yet to see. Did he hang 628 yards on EKU ? No. ASU ? No. Combined ? Lol
I would have liked to have seen Costello with a normal year of practice and without COVID politics which allowed a bunch of the players to act like morons.

I don't remember what our original 2020 schedule was but I bet we'd have been a 6-6 or 7-5 level team.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I would have liked to have seen Costello with a normal year of practice and without COVID politics which allowed a bunch of the players to act like morons.

I don't remember what our original 2020 schedule was but I bet we'd have been a 6-6 or 7-5 level team.
New Mexico, Tulane, @ NC State, and an FCS game were the games that got axed. We also added Vandy and Georgia that we weren’t supposed to play originally.

patdog

May 28, 2007

5-7 or 6-6. We lost 3 gimmes and a game at NC State (tossup), and picked up an easy win over Vandy and a sure loss vs Georgia. So add 2-3 net wins to the 3-7 record.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Statistically he isn't much different from Will in 2022 other than it's one win versus two. 78 of 98 for 450 yards and 5 touchdowns versus 33 of 48 for 515 yards and 5 touchdowns. And no, Shapen rushing yardage is not a plus statistically.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Statistically he isn't much different from Will in 2022 other than it's one win versus two. 78 of 98 for 450 yards and 5 touchdowns versus 33 of 48 for 515 yards and 5 touchdowns. And no, Shapen rushing yardage is not a plus statistically.
450 yards on 98 attempts vs 515 yards on 48 attempts is a pretty huge difference. Of course we can't run the ball to save our lives so those extra 50 rushing attempts won't get us much.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
450 yards on 98 attempts vs 515 yards on 48 attempts is a pretty huge difference. Of course we can't run the ball to save our lives so those extra 50 rushing attempts won't get us much.
The important part is 5 touchdowns and 5 touchdowns. Or is it one win versus 2 wins ? We need better OL performance of course but we have been weak there for years now. All the way back to Jomo at least.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The important part is 5 touchdowns and 5 touchdowns. Or is it one win versus 2 wins ? We need better OL performance of course but we have been weak there for years now. All the way back to Jomo at least.
You’re cherry picking stats. But same TD in less than half the attempts is pretty significant difference.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
You’re cherry picking stats. But same TD in less than half the attempts is pretty significant difference.
The whole point is winning. I don't care how they do it. We were dog **** last year and after replacing our staff with an offensive savant and signing a new improved OL and 3 or 4 experienced recievers plus all the other additions I would expect a better product. We have 3 impressive WR (Coleman, Mosley Craver) and a very good safety ( Isaac Smith). Other than that I'm not impressed. Hopefully as the season continues they will "gel" but by then Texas and Georgia will be raping us. And if they do improve next year will be a reboot. 30 to 3 at half. I know the QB can't do it alone but typically we don't praise a field goal producer.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The whole point is winning. I don't care how they do it. We were dog **** last year and after replacing our staff with an offensive savant and signing a new improved OL and 3 or 4 experienced recievers plus all the other additions I would expect a better product. We have 3 impressive WR (Coleman, Mosley Craver) and a very good safety ( Isaac Smith). Other than that I'm not impressed. Hopefully as the season continues they will "gel" but by then Texas and Georgia will be raping us. And if they do improve next year will be a reboot. 30 to 3 at half. I know the QB can't do it alone but typically we don't praise a field goal producer.
If you're grading QBs, I don't know why you'd give Will credit for Arizona playing the wrong QB and turning the ball over 5 times. Something tells me that if Arizona St. turned the ball over 5 times, we probably win last Saturday too.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Hard to throw interceptions if they don't even have to throw the ball. I'm not giving anyone credit here. This team is a total disappointment in my eyes. If something doesn't improve drastically starting this week 3 wins will be our ceiling. That's on both sides of the ball. 3 and outs are hard on the defense which already sucks. We will see I guess

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
His footwork in the pocket is kinda unorthodox, vary little movement. Whatever works. B-

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login