Thunder & Lightning: When Will Mississippi State’s Baseball Recruiting Pick Up?

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
Thunder & Lightning: When Will Mississippi State’s Baseball Recruiting Pick Up?

Mississippi State’s baseball season came to an end over a month ago, and it was obvious the first priority for Chris Lemonis and staff was to raid the transfer portal to bring in some top end talent. Now with only three players having made a commitment, is it reasonable to...
The post Thunder & Lightning: When Will Mississippi State’s Baseball Recruiting Pick Up? appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I agree with Hadad on the transfer progress....

Mississippi State’s baseball season came to an end over a month ago, and it was obvious the first priority for Chris Lemonis and staff was to raid the transfer portal to bring in some top end talent. Now with only three players having made a commitment, is it reasonable to...
The post Thunder & Lightning: When Will Mississippi State’s Baseball Recruiting Pick Up? appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

It is not time to panic but still is a bit concerning that a solid month after our season ended, being a top program needing like 9 players we only have 3 commits while other teams that played much longer have already cleaned up in the portal. I will still give CCL and staff the benefit of the doubt but, in my opinion (which means very little), 2023 is a make or break season. Simply put, for CCL to keep his job we must make the NCAAT field in 2023. If we just squeak into the field and exit quickly I still will not be happy but that should be enough to keep his job for another year.

The portal and NIL are such a blessing and a curse. They allow you to do an immediate rebuild but also dramatically ramp up the competition and the money it takes to maintain a competitive program. To that end it appears we are already getting out bid for players in our signature sport.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
"This should be an easy sell." It is for local guys who grew up fans. But Ole Miss has some top talent from MS. I'm a State fan too. We're a Top 15 or so program with one Natty, one CWS final and one SEC title since 1989. We have great facilities and fan support and open roster spots. Starkville is likely not a Top 15 college town and these are young guys. We don't have top NIL money. There are a lot of programs that are appealing, more programs are pushing baseball. How often does State get top guys from states not adjacent to MS? Lemonis is going to need to be a dynamite recruiter. Can he even out-recruit Ole Miss for top players in MS?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login