Burn on, big river, burn on
Now the Lord can make you tumble
And the Lord can make you turn
And the Lord can make you overflow
But the Lord can't make you burn
This is part of the soundtrack of my teenage years.

If you grew up playing baseball at all, this movie is the GOAT (along with Bull Durham) and one-liners from it permeated every dugout you ever sat in.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
Honestly, I could care less that they changed their mascot/name. I am sick and tired of cancel cultural. Both sides do it now and chase it for the money. Was Redskins names awful and need to be changed? Yes, redskins is not a great look and honestly a white example of this would be if Notre Dame would be the fighting gingers and their mascot was a drunk. Also, the Indian logo was not great, but they could have handled the change so much better.

At least they didn't pick an army (cough rebels) that got smoked by General Grant. Am I the only one that finds it awesome and funny that the guy that originally destroyed the rebels/racists has his library on our campus?

Reactions: Darryl Steight

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Is this an insurance company or adoption agency

Every time this comes up, I think about back in the 90s when the Braves were winning and won a world series. Some 17ing idiots including jane fonda started protesting the Braves name. One of the local stations interviewed Chief Martin, head of the Mississippi Choctaws. He was asked if he was offended by Atlanta using the Braves as their name and mascot, He responded, "Not now, they're winning, I was offended when they were losing 100 games a year."

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It seems like we're at a détente on any mascot wars these days, at least as far as I'm aware.

I am a little surprised the Chiefs and Braves still do the war cry or whatever it's called. I'll admit it does sound kinda cool sometimes, but also weird to do in the modern era. I ring a heavy metal cowbell sometimes when my team does well, so I indeed live in a glass house.
The Chiefs do a little, the Braves do a lot, Florida State does it way too much to the point of being annoying….but State does cowbells so pot/kettle.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I didn't say all liberals. I said limp wristed liberals with gender confusion. There's lots of good ones with common sense out there.

Also:

see you and me GIF
I do have pretty bad carpal tunnel.

Jul 11, 2024
I fully concede that the Chief Wahoo logo was offensive. The fact that the Indians were so bad for so long that it made the logo even more comical didn't help the situation.

I also get why the name 'Redskins' could be offensive. But I think the logo and history of the franchise were pretty badass though, and many native americans embraced it.

The Braves are probably next. Mascot name is cool but imagery and logos not so much. I won't particularly like it when it happens.

"Seminoles" is here forever.

I do find it interesting that it's always some group of limp wristed liberals with gender confusion who feels it's their duty to tell the rest of us what we're supposed to be outraged and offended by.
Why is chief wahoo offensive?

Jul 11, 2024
I don't know what 'the liberals work' means. I just found it funny that a topic was brought up like 3 years after it was actually in the news.

'Hey everyone, what's the deal with Tiger Woods being attacked with a 9iron?!'
"doing the lord's work"
"doing the liberal's work"

You seem to only chime in when it fits your liberal agenda.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Personally, I think Delta State should be next. Did you know that every year millions of okras are sacrificed to be part of a delicious gumbo? OLM
Along these lines, we should all take a moment to consider whether we should align in solidarity with those outraged and offended over Arkansas Tech calling themselves the Wonder Boys.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
It will not surprise me if Cowboys start protesting to have their name removed from the Dallas Cowboys. Not because it is raciest, but it is hurting their overall brand. Cowboys were once feared, now people are afraid to trust them. Watching the cowboys has people afraid to call because they are afraid, they will fold during the bank robbery playoffs.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
The thing missing in all these discussions is no one named their team "in the old days" to make fun or deride a group of people or animals. They would name their team as something to be fierce, strong, determined and dominating. They were giving it a "good" name to show strength and pride. No teams are named Seattle Wimps or Kansas City Scaredy Cats. Intent does matter at some point.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
The thing missing in all these discussions is no one named their team "in the old days" to make fun or deride a group of people or animals. They would name their team as something to be fierce, strong, determined and dominating. They were giving it a "good" name to show strength and pride. No teams are named Seattle Wimps or Kansas City Scaredy Cats. Intent does matter at some point.
The Seattle Pimps does have a great ring . The catch phrase would be, "you don't want the back hand."***

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yeah, well explain a team named after Scarlett colored foot sleeves

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I remember they played the hell out of the Wonderboy music video in the Union on that college music video channel that was always on in there.
It was all over the radio and TV back then. Maybe mtv2?...cant remember.
'Slice his throat and grab his scroat' was a commonly yelled out phrase when playing video games in college.

That song was many levels of awesome- made fun of that genre of rock while making a great song at the same time. Tough balance.
'Thats levitation, holmes!'

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
'Slice his throat and grab his scroat' was a commonly yelled out phrase when playing video games in college.

That song was many levels of awesome- made fun of that genre of rock while making a great song at the same time. Tough balance.
That’s telekinesis Kyle

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I don’t know how I completely missed out on the Tenacious D thing especially early, but I had no idea that SVP catch phrase was based on a Jack Black lyric.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login